Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 2 layer and 3 layer Grimace
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:21 am 

There is a 2 layer and 3 layer Grimace available at http://www.hknowstore.com/ and the prices are rather nice :)

Post subject: Re: 2 layer and 3 layer Grimace
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:27 am 

Yeah I seen that me to, and I was wondering witch brand produce them?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:01 am 

It's from a previously unheard of company.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:44 am 

They look very nice although I would like if the triangular "tip" cuts would be deeper.

But that is only 2 kinds of people what is the 3rd?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:15 pm 

Video review as below,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo39iGfZ9wE

- from Hong Kong

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:47 pm 

very up sad,
another idea had been stolen.

original design:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15015

why I named the cube "grimace" ?
because it like my dog, my stupid dog call "grimace"

please stop to copy!

my website: http://www.iq-puzzle.com.hk/

Last edited by SmaZ on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:56 pm 

SmaZ- I can certainly understand why you are upset, since they used the same name you used for the puzzle, showing it was very likely to have been copied from pictures you posted on TwistyPuzzles. However, wasn't this concept originally built by Tony Fisher some time in the 80s? (Here is the link, and I'm pretty sure it was discussed at some point in a thread.)

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:17 pm 

Kapusta wrote:
SmaZ- I can certainly understand why you are upset, since they used the same name you used for the puzzle, showing it was very likely to have been copied from pictures you posted on TwistyPuzzles. However, wasn't this concept originally built by Tony Fisher some time in the 80s? (Here is the link, and I'm pretty sure it was discussed at some point in a thread.)

any handmade puzzle are welcome,
I happy other cube builder use the same name.
but don't mass produce, don't earn money base on immorality.

when I build this cube, I didn't saw Tony Fisher's works,
I never had the plan to mass produce this simple cube,

sorry for my poor english

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:31 pm 

I gotta say, I am with SmaZ on this one.

Not only did they copy the puzzle idea (which was not the first puzzle of this type), but they copied the name, and SmaZ receives no compensation. Its like when Drew made the rex cube, and it got produced without his permission. Luckily he was able to get a small commision, but I doubt that the KO companies will give SmaZ anything.

This seems like bull to me. Put yourself in his place, it really doesn't seem fair.

This is really quite sad. There is no way that I will buy this puzzle unless SmaZ receives some sort of credit.

/ranting over

Past project: The Geode
Current Project: Replica RPK-74
Future Project: Possibly another master mental
Oskar wrote:
I am now adding dummy cubes to my models to cross the 10% density threshold and save myself money big time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:02 am 

I have been told this has a different mechanism to Smaz's and that the manufacturer never saw his design (to say nothing about Tony's)

On this one, I am more than a bit put out. Like Smaz I think it is appalling. The 'copying' of this puzzle has been known for many months now-maybe back to February even. That just tells me the 'designer' has no morals. To make matters worse (or maybe I should say ironic) it's a Chinese guy copying a Chinese guy for a change. (and it is not mf8!)

See, it happens to everyone.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:55 am 

Thanks for all of you updating me that Tony had made the 2 layers triangle cut one in 1983. I shall check with Tony about this isssue soon.

The China inventor is a young cuber who had make plenty of hand-made cubes, including these 2 puzzles and many puzzles coming out, for years. He made his cubes by his brainstormining and intelligence. Same as you, when he made the 2 layers one and not knowing Tony had made a triangle cut one at 1982. But, he did make a hexagonal cut one ... luckily show some difference.

He use the name Grimace, because he like the character of Mcdonald Grimace since child, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97YXbNaAyzA, and as many people is using this name for the triangle cut hand-made one now which is similar to his hexagonal cut one.

Well, if the name is really belonged to you, no others can use, even Mcdonald, ... doubt. @@
Let me know if this is the case. Then, I shall let the inventor knowing that you have the ownership of the name, Grimace, not Mcdonald or others. And so, I shall suggest him to change the name of the cube.

The 2 layer flat are with hexagonal cut and with 3 rectangles on the edges, it seems to me that they are different from the one made by Tony in 1983.
Besides the one same as Tony made, did you also make the 3 layers pillow one with hexagonal center?

- from Hong Kong

Last edited by calvinfan on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:31 am 

My thoughts on the new Grimace puzzles.

(1) Tony made the first "Grimace" in 1983 which was a 2 layer triangular prism. It did not work well.

(2) In 2008 SmaZ saw a cube design by Tomsun which he decided to make and called it Grimace. I cannot find a video so I do not know how well it worked, but knowing SmaZ probably it was very good. This puzzle was externally identical to Tony's but differed in the mechanism.

(3) In 2011 a new cube also called Grimace is released, a 2 layer triangular prism like those in (1) and (2). But, since the pieces on this new puzzle are not cut in the same way (leaving a central hexagonal body instead of triangular) as those by Tony and Smaz, the mechanism will not be identical.

(There is also a 3 layer "Grimace", but I don't think SmaZ can claim rights to this one.)

SmaZ says puzzle (3) is a copy of puzzle (2) but implies (2) is not a copy of (1) because he claims that his (not Tony's or Tomsun's) idea is being stolen.

I really admire and support the puzzle designers on TP (I have 2 Smaz cylinders) but in this case I think SmaZ is being a bit harsh on hknowstore. I do not think that SmaZ can claim any rights to this puzzle, due to prior art.

The biggest problem I see is the use of the name "Grimace" in connection with this puzzle (not McDonalds or the common English word which means "An ugly, twisted expression on a person's face, typically expressing disgust, pain, or wry amusement", which, coincidentally, was the expression on Smaz's face when he first saw this new puzzle). Of all the words in the English language, it is very unlikely that the new Chinese designer used the same word as SmaZ for a very similar puzzle, as suggested by excalvin.

Having looked at this issue, I would be happy to buy the new Grimace puzzles. Sorry SmaZ.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:58 am 

Gus wrote:
My thoughts on the new Grimace puzzles.

(1) Tony made the first "Grimace" in 1983 which was a 2 layer triangular prism. It did not work well.

(2) In 2008 SmaZ saw a cube design by Tomsun which he decided to make and called it Grimace. I cannot find a video so I do not know how well it worked, but knowing SmaZ probably it was very good. This puzzle was externally identical to Tony's but differed in the mechanism.

(3) In 2011 a new cube also called Grimace is released, a 2 layer triangular prism like those in (1) and (2). But, since the pieces on this new puzzle are not cut in the same way (leaving a central hexagonal body instead of triangular) as those by Tony and Smaz, the mechanism will not be identical.

(There is also a 3 layer "Grimace", but I don't think SmaZ can claim rights to this one.)

SmaZ says puzzle (3) is a copy of puzzle (2) but implies (2) is not a copy of (1) because he claims that his (not Tony's or Tomsun's) idea is being stolen.

I really admire and support the puzzle designers on TP (I have 2 Smaz cylinders) but in this case I think SmaZ is being a bit harsh on hknowstore. I do not think that SmaZ can claim any rights to this puzzle, due to prior art.

The biggest problem I see is the use of the name "Grimace" in connection with this puzzle (not McDonalds or the common English word which means "An ugly, twisted expression on a person's face, typically expressing disgust, pain, or wry amusement", which, coincidentally, was the expression on Smaz's face when he first saw this new puzzle). Of all the words in the English language, it is very unlikely that the new Chinese designer used the same word as SmaZ for a very similar puzzle, as suggested by excalvin.

Having looked at this issue, I would be happy to buy the new Grimace puzzles. Sorry SmaZ.

I don't care who buy this cube or not.
I come here only let all know, who design this cube, who named this cube, who stolen this cube. that's it.
don't concern to pay me any money, I'm not this cube designer,
if I earn any money on this cube, I feel ashamed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:18 am 

I have told Calvin my feelings about this puzzle when I first saw it (thank heavens Meffert's didn't produce it!) He knew months ago that I thought it was a copy of Smaz's work. (or even clay and eva's, or tony's or Tom Sun's or whoevers-even he knew it was a copy of someone else's work.) Changing it to a hex...not necessarily a copy any more, but the story of the kid (is this one fat too?) is getting a bit old. :roll:

excalvin wrote:
He use the name Grimace, because he like the character of Mcdonald Grimace since child, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97YXbNaAyzA, and as many people is using this name for the triangle cut hand-made one now which is similar to his hexagonal cut one.
I cry foul! Liar liar pants on fire. Or some such that children would say, because your next line-is indeed very childish.

excalvin wrote:
Well, if the name is really belonged to you, no others can use, even Mcdonald, ... doubt. @@
Let me know if this is the case. Then, I shall let the inventor knowing that you have the ownership of the name, Grimace, not Mcdonald or others. And so, I shall suggest him to change the name of the cube.

I agree with Gus, what are the odds? (Snowballs have better chances in Hades don't they?) The name? Claiming it is anything short of stolen is a joke. I understand Smaz's being upset over that. Tony didn't name the puzzle, Tom didn't name the puzzle. Smaz did-or wait? Was it because a guy who likes fat purple characters from McDonalds??? (So yes, I think requesting a name change is in order) The puzzle...well, like I said, it's different in the middle isn't it.

And if this kid has many other hand made cubes-why not make one that hasn't any history behind it. To be honest, I'm really getting fed up with all these posts about KO's. Why can't we all just play nice and respect each others work?? How hard is it really to think up a puzzle? or to change an existing design to make it different enough so it is not considered a KO? Plenty of other people on this forum AND over on Mf8 do it. :) I've even done one....And we all know if Rox can do that, anyone can!

Be nice guys. Enough of the bickering please.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:57 am 

I understand that you feel a kind of upset but isn't this a great compliment to your work?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:37 am 

Like the less he could do it at less give somme example to SmaZ, in a sence, and seriously how many chance they were that it got the same name? And normaly an KO comapgny is intelligent enought to give the puzzle a diffrent name, so that they can say that invented it. Lies i have no idear.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:56 am 

I share Gus's thoughts.
Regarding the name, it is the case indeed that SmaZ's name had been used by other puzzle designers (for handmade puzzles) before. If you google it, you'll find several references.
Calvin's statement
excalvin wrote:
...He use the name Grimace, because he like the character of Mcdonald Grimace since child, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97YXbNaAyzA, and as many people is using this name for the triangle cut hand-made one now which is similar to his hexagonal cut one. ....
seems to be true for the highlighted second part.

Back to the puzzle itself:
If it is a copy, it is a copy of a copy (SmaZ's) of a copy (Tomsun's) of Tony's original. Probably more have made similar designs.
If this is immoral, how could a moral, mass-produced similar design could be ever made?
The puzzle idea seems obvious enough that it is not unlikely that similar puzzles have been invented independently.
SmaZ says that he hasn't known about Tony's design.

To me this looks like "fair game". If one could object this in a moral sense, it would be Tony!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:12 am 

Can someone more knowledgeable enlighten me on the cultural issues on this subject? It's been said before that one of the issues with copying in China is the culture where making a copy mean showing respect and awe and giving compliments to the original designer. Now it seems that it's not true anymore as the designer of these new puzzles and SmaZ are both from China, but SmaZ obviously does not share this cultural thing. Is China being rapidly westernized in regards to these issues? Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:07 pm 

Konrad wrote:
I share Gus's thoughts.
Regarding the name, it is the case indeed that SmaZ's name had been used by other puzzle designers (for handmade puzzles) before. If you google it, you'll find several references.
Calvin's statement
excalvin wrote:
...He use the name Grimace, because he like the character of Mcdonald Grimace since child, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97YXbNaAyzA, and as many people is using this name for the triangle cut hand-made one now which is similar to his hexagonal cut one. ....
seems to be true for the highlighted second part.
I don't think anyone is staking a claim on the word 'grimace'. It's the context of word usage that's the problem. Using the name 'Grimace' to sell a mass-produced Grimace-like puzzle, is wrong in my opinion. SmaZ has already said this.
SmaZ wrote:
any handmade puzzle are welcome,
I happy other cube builder use the same name.
but don't mass produce, don't earn money base on immorality.

From Rox's quote, the designer "never saw the design" and from Calvin's quote "and as many people is using this name for the triangle cut hand-made one now which is similar to his hexagonal cut one".

The designer seems to be telling different people, different things. Either it's been seen before by the designer, or it hasn't.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:44 pm 

Like yeah, maybe he didn't know that it was already been made, but it mass rpoduce, not just hand make. Like i said, it would be kindly of him to give at less one of the mass produce version to Tony and SmaZ, it would be at less that...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:48 pm 

Aleksey wrote:
Can someone more knowledgeable enlighten me on the cultural issues on this subject? It's been said before that one of the issues with copying in China is the culture where making a copy mean showing respect and awe and giving compliments to the original designer. Now it seems that it's not true anymore as the designer of these new puzzles and SmaZ are both from China, but SmaZ obviously does not share this cultural thing. Is China being rapidly westernized in regards to these issues? Thanks!

I agree, it is a very interesting point. Maybe it is because Hong Kong is more "international"
than the mainland. Just a guess!

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:09 pm 

katsmom wrote:
I have told Calvin my feelings about this puzzle when I first saw it (thank heavens Meffert's didn't produce it!) He knew months ago that I thought it was a copy of Smaz's work. (or even clay and eva's, or tony's or Tom Sun's or whoevers-even he knew it was a copy of someone else's work.) Changing it to a hex...not necessarily a copy any more, but the story of the kid (is this one fat too?) is getting a bit old. :roll:

The fat kid is a Hong Kong student around 17 year old now, while this inventor is a bit elder around 25-30 living in mainland China since birth. He told me that these are his own designs, not knowing if Smaz, Tony had made the similar puzzles. I do trust him as he has a heart to make the puzzles on his own, and he also showed me a few new designs based on these mechanism. If possible, he may bring them out somedays.

Justin wrote:
From Rox's quote, the designer "never saw the design" and from Calvin's quote "and as many people is using this name for the triangle cut hand-made one now which is similar to his hexagonal cut one".

The designer seems to be telling different people, different things. Either it's been seen before by the designer, or it hasn't.

Ok,for the naming.
When he design these 2 cubes, he does not have the names in his mind, just the shapes and mechanism instead. I think many inventors do in these way. Right ?
Before launching the cubes, he asked his friends around and search around on internet/youtube about the similar stuffs for reference.
End up, he decided to use the name "Grimace" as many people is using this name for the triangle cut hand-made one now which is similar to his hexagonal cut one. As youtube is a public domain, the name on youtube that everyone using should be OK. That is why he come up with the name "Grimace".
Hope this can ask your question.

If everyone here say that Smaz has the ownershop of he name, "Grimace", not Mcdonald or others, definitely he can use another name, say 2 layers triangular prism and 3 layers Pillow triangular prism .. etc.
That is a simple and easy task.

PS: my 2nd cousin, 1 year old, was named Jayden by my sister, but I have several friends called Jayden, knowing several artists called Jayden, several artist's son called Jayden ... search around internet, thousands of Jayden will come out.
So, do my sister need to change his son's name ?

- from Hong Kong

Last edited by calvinfan on Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:23 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:12 pm 

what a coincidence ¡¡¡¡

spanish patent from 1999 .... (grimace 2 layers keyring)

http://www.espatentes.com/pdf/2163982_a1.pdf

Attachments:
cv01.jpg
cv01.jpg [ 32.73 KiB | Viewed 7258 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:37 pm 

juanan wrote:
what a coincidence ¡¡¡¡

spanish patent from 1999 .... (grimace 2 layers keyring)

http://www.espatentes.com/pdf/2163982_a1.pdf
Do you know, if this patent is still valid? If yes, nobody can sell it legally (including those who have probably invented it again without knowing the Spanish patent - including SmaZ or Tomsun). In any case, it shows that the idea is pretty obvious.
I think the discussion should differentiate between
1. the puzzle
2. the name Grimace

Regarding 1, I cannot see why it should be immoral to mass-produce it, unless it is in conflict with the Spanish patent. In this case it is illegal - not immoral.

Regarding 2, why not change the name? The name does not sound so nice in my ears, anyway! The puzzle(s) is (are) much nicer than its (their) name :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:36 pm 

1) I think the puzzle itself falls in the category "obvious" - it is clear that many people have thought it up individually; Tony, Tomson, the Spanish patent owner.
2) The name Grimace has been put forth by SmaZ so it is "his". However, it has been used by many people (various shops on Shapeways carry "master" grimaces and what not). Of course, commercial application is slightly different from that but since others have been allowed to use the name in the past, why should this be an exception?

Clearly, it would have been better conduct to contact the person who came up with the puzzle name to ask them if it was okay. It is sad that this has not happened since I'm sure SmaZ wouldn't have objected. But then, it must have been hard to find the right person (since many different people made "Grimace" puzzles around the same time).
Clearly there is nobody who owns the puzzle concept so anybody is free to make it if they want to. It seems confusing and unnecessary to prohibit makers of open puzzles to use the customary name for a puzzle.

I should perhaps remark it seems sad puzzle makers can't do anything right these days. When they incorrectly name something a Helicopter Dodecahedron or Starminx, the response from this forum is hostile. When they finally do get a name right, we start arguing about who owns the name?

Finally, I think the patent is worthless. This puzzle's mechanism is so simple that anybody could think up a mechanism for it and I'm sure there's plenty of prior art. If it was tried in court, I would hope that the patent would be invalidated because of prior art and the fact that a person having ordinary skill in the art would likely come up with a similar mechanism. But I guess the patent is already abandoned; the puzzle has never been produced so I don't think the patent holder would have paid the considerable fees to extend the patent.

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:36 am 

my challenge:
not your original design, why mass produce ?

the cube original designer : tony fisher
the cube name : grimace (I named, because I don't know tony made this before)

handmade puzzle and shapeway puzzle are difference to the mass production,
handmade puzzle and shapeway puzzle can use the grimace name.
your mass production "No way!!!"

Last edited by SmaZ on Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:30 am 

So at first it was his love of the fat purple thing, then it was from friends searching the net and this is what they came up with?.....If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck. I don't think it's "wrong" to produce the puzzle, it's a really simple design, but I do think calling it a Grimace and not offering something to Smaz is like a smack in the face.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:35 am 

I think the true question is when he saw the original Grimace. Obviously he took Smaz’ name for the cube. The question i see is did he see the grimace before and just copy the idea for the puzzle? Or did he actually make this do research and THEN name it Grimace. While it is wrong to take the name it doesn’t really mean he should pay Smaz. But if he saw this puzzle then took the idea he does owe Smaz.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:33 am 

SmaZ wrote:
the cube designer : tony fisher
the cube name : grimace (I named, because I don't know tony made this before)

handmade puzzle and shapeway puzzle are difference to the mass production,
handmade puzzle and shapeway puzzle can use the grimace name. your mass production "No way!!!"
I think now we can agree that the main thrust of SmaZ's argument is really over the use of the name Grimace. He says that it is OK for puzzles to have different names depending on how many puzzles are produced, but I cannot agree with this.

On TP, being a pedantic and technical bunch, we try to give puzzles names puzzles which have some relevance and consistency (e.g. mf8 Starminx -> Helicopter Dodecahedron). But even here, why do we use "Helicopter" for an edge turning puzzle? Because the Helicopter Cube was first? Same for "Dino"? These names actually make no sense unless you know the "back story". And most people aren't interested, they just see the name.

Having read the previous posts, I have changed my position slightly over naming puzzles. My point is, to the great unwashed, names are very important - show an average person a Megaminx and they will say "Rubik's Cube" (or should that be Rubik's Regular Hexahedron?). So once a name is out in the wild, it is very difficult to change - people like familiarity. And once SmaZ used "Grimace", without any protection for the name, it became available to anyone, no matter how upsetting this is to the original designer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:22 am 

A little of topic but for the helicopter cube, the name fit perfectly for it cause it's real that the edge turning move make it look sommething like an hellicopter for a reason, same thing for the dayan gem I, but it's not called helicopter gem... So that puzzle can have a diffrent name that will fit him. If you understand me*.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:58 am 

I had ordered these, before the battle about naming and mass-production had started.
ImageThey are so ridiculously easy to solve, that nobody would buy them as a high-priced custom made puzzle.
I hope that they will make a nice toy for my older granddaughter, soon (the one in my avatar.) :)
They are the second easiest puzzles I've got (the easiest - still nice - is the 2x2x1 Minimis).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:39 pm 

And I don't think they are worth the plastic they are made from :lol:
The price is right. Nice and low. And they are a very simple puzzle for beginners. (Bug can solve them)
A videofor you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:26 am 

katsmom wrote:
.... And they are a very simple puzzle for beginners. (Bug can solve them)
A videofor you.

Actually I was hoping for a bug-solve-video with directors comment by Rox :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:58 am 

maarten wrote:
katsmom wrote:
A videofor you.

:lol: :lol: As you wish!

I'm off to bed. Should load in a minute for you maarten.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:40 pm 

Thank you Rox! great vid, send my regards to the bug. :solved:

@Konrad: I had the same thought, my second easiest puzzle (yes, have a 1x2x2 too) is a nice toy for educating starting twisty puzzlers.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:33 pm 

Nice video Rox, it made me laugh. Even in HK you know the power of "bunny ears" in photos and videos.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:03 pm 

And containing references to streaking (2.45)!!!

Maybe there should be a parental rating on this video. :shock:

katsmom wrote:
maarten wrote:
katsmom wrote:
A videofor you.

:lol: :lol: As you wish!

I'm off to bed. Should load in a minute for you maarten.