Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: How to solve Dayan's Crazy 3x3x3 and Megaminx?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:14 pm 

Julian wrote:
...Konrad: Thanks for posting your corner-cycling algos. I must confess that I have been using only one, a mirror image of your one for Saturn, for all the planets! With your Saturn algo, to give a pure cycle, F has to be a 0 face and R has to be a 1 face, but U and L can be either 0 or 1, as long as they are the same type. With U and L as 0 faces, doing exactly the same algo, pieces 1, 2 & 4 are cycled instead.
Julian, I think your rule does not hold true in all cases. E.g. if I set up Earth with F = red (0); R= green (1) ; U=yellow (0) and L = blue (0), U and L are of the same type 0. If I apply my algorithm for Saturn on a solved Earth, this is the result:
I would get an additional 3-cycle (The 3-cycle on the red F face is not visible in my picture).
This can be repaired, though, making it a (9,2) commutator where the 2 are Bw' E2.
Or have I misunderstood something?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:19 pm 

Konrad wrote:
Julian wrote:
...Konrad: Thanks for posting your corner-cycling algos. I must confess that I have been using only one, a mirror image of your one for Saturn, for all the planets! With your Saturn algo, to give a pure cycle, F has to be a 0 face and R has to be a 1 face, but U and L can be either 0 or 1, as long as they are the same type. With U and L as 0 faces, doing exactly the same algo, pieces 1, 2 & 4 are cycled instead.
Julian, I think your rule does not hold true in all cases.
:oops: Sorry, Konrad! I thought and wrote incorrectly. With F=0, R=1, U=1, L=1 the result is the pure 3-cycle shown in your original diagrams. With F=1, R=1, U=0, L=0 the result is a pure 3-cycle of pieces 1, 2 & 4. But now I see that Mercury and Venus cannot be finished with the same algo, which leads to my second confession: I was too tired to finish them so I left them with the corner pieces still to solve, thinking I could easily cycle them with my usual algo! Now it is obvious to me why we need different algos for Mercury and Venus, and I have two more puzzles to finish (properly) tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:27 am 

Julian wrote:
... Sorry, Konrad! I thought and wrote incorrectly. With F=0, R=1, U=1, L=1 the result is the pure 3-cycle shown in your original diagrams. With F=1, R=1, U=0, L=0 the result is a pure 3-cycle of pieces 1, 2 & 4. But now I see that Mercury and Venus cannot be finished with the same algo,
On Mercury, the same algo works as you had said :) : Setup R = white (1), everything else is 0; You'll get a clockwise 3-cycle of cycle corners 1,2&4 on F, as you had said. Your rule does just not work in all cases for all planets. On Venus, there is no setup F=0; R=1; U=L = 0 or 1, though.
Julian wrote:
which leads to my second confession: I was too tired to finish them so I left them with the corner pieces still to solve, thinking I could easily cycle them with my usual algo! Now it is obvious to me why we need different algos for Mercury and Venus, and I have two more puzzles to finish (properly) tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:43 pm 

Okay, back to school for me with those circle corner pieces! After some more experimenting I feel I understand better now. With [U' R U' L2 U R' U' L2 U2, Bw'], Bw' moves the D center to L, so of course the type of the D face matters too. It appears that U, L, and D must all be the same type to result in a pure cycle of pieces on the same face (F), where some combinations of F and R types work and others do not.

{U,L,D,F}=0, {R}=1 can be used for Mercury and Earth

{U,L,D,R}=1, {F}=0 can be used for Jupiter and Saturn

{U,L,D}=1, {F,R}=0 can be used for Mars and Uranus

The type of the B face does not matter. This leaves Venus and Neptune as exceptions, where if we want to cycle pieces on the same face I think we must adjust the algo.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:31 pm 

Venus (101) corner algos

Here are some alternative algos for solving the corners of Venus. All the diagrams below assume the standard setup where White and Yellow = 1 and all the other faces = 0. F = White, U = Red.

Ignoring the outer corners, cycle the inner corners in 10 moves with [R' U R U', F]
Attachment:
Venus inner corner cycle 1.png
Venus inner corner cycle 1.png [ 10.76 KiB | Viewed 5847 times ]
The mirror image of the above algo is useful, and so is cycling all the pieces on the same 1 face, which can be done using 2 setup moves [D B] [R' U R U', F] [B' D'], shown below:
Attachment:
Venus inner corner cycle 2.png
Venus inner corner cycle 2.png [ 11.09 KiB | Viewed 5847 times ]

Finally, set up outer corners on either of the 1 faces (White or Yellow with a standard color scheme) and cycle them pure with U L' U R2 U' L U R2 U2
Attachment:
Venus outer corner cycle.png
Venus outer corner cycle.png [ 11.19 KiB | Viewed 5847 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:55 pm 

Hi guys,

I just solved Jupiter. This is by far my favorite! I solved it using reduction, and I did most of it using nothing but intuition. At some stage I used one standard 3x3x3 algo; R, U, R', U, R, U2, R', but that's about it for the reduction part. I obviously used the 0 face to get all the pieces paired up, and therefore kept it as the U face for this stage. When I finished reducing the edges and the corners (in that order), I labeled the 0 face as D and solved the reduced 3x3 without using D. I'm pretty sure there are more advanced methods for Jupiter, but I found this to be a fun solving experience which I truly enjoyed!

Since this solve was mainly done intuitively I will have to modify my difficulty ratings a bit, so I will not set up another list until I have solved the remaining three puzzles.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:28 am 

Hi Katja,

Try Neptune with reduction, my wife just solved this one today and she enjoyed it. It adds a little twist, and in fact after solving it I always think of Jupiter as the easy version of Neptune now. Neptune has more flavour. :D

Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:09 pm 

@Burgo & Julian

Have you tried the Mercury to Circle Cube reduction at all? I'm curious how that reduction rates on your difficulty scale. I still haven't tried anything besides reduction. I outline how I do it in this post.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:48 am 

Hi Guiltybystander,
I can see you've edited it, I'll put it on my list of to dos this week (up near the top because it looks like fun). These planets have surely kept me busy, they have been value for money. When you say you've only tried reduction, do you mean on all 8 planets? Is this possible?
Cheers,
Burgo.
EDIT Had a little go just then, I could already reduce the edges, but I don't understand how to reduce the corners. Your post didn't discuss corners. :?

1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:56 am 

Burgo wrote:
I can see you've edited it
The edit only added this little bit "(The quick solve can be corners+centers only or edges+centers only I think)".
Burgo wrote:
When you say you've only tried reduction, do you mean on all 8 planets? Is this possible?
I only have Mercury and Jupiter so far. I do plan on getting the rest.
Burgo wrote:
EDIT Had a little go just then, I could already reduce the edges, but I don't understand how to reduce the corners. Your post didn't discuss corners. :?
You're reducing it to a Circle Cube. So that means you "pair" the inner edges to the centers and the inner corners to the outer edges. You don't pair the outer corners with anything.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:45 am 

GuiltyBystander wrote:
@Burgo & Julian

Have you tried the Mercury to Circle Cube reduction at all? I'm curious how that reduction rates on your difficulty scale. I still haven't tried anything besides reduction. I outline how I do it in this post.
I think that I've expressed this (I have done reduction on Mercury only once :wink: ): Mercury reduction is logically quite straight forward, as far as pattern recognition and turning the pieces in your head is concerned, I think the non-reduction method is easier.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:39 am 

Hi Guiltybystander,
I stayed up and figured that out last night. I quite liked that method after all. I think I will get better at it with practice. It was a bit tricky visually, with the circle corners, the colours were easy (to match with the outer edges) but you have to think about their orientation which is trickier to visualize. I did it in groups for example centre row,then yellow, then white to make it easier to keep track of solved `outside edges`.

And the difficulty.. probably harder than non reduction, but it's hard to tell, because as I pointed out before, if you have to come up with your own commutators for the circle corners, this is harder than a more intuitive type of solve in some ways. And I'm not used to it, I think if you got used to it it would be on a par. I really enjoyed watching it all come together as a circle cube in the end, it looked neat. Definately worth doing. :D

Thanks for reminding me to do this,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:21 am 

Konrad wrote:
GuiltyBystander wrote:
@Burgo & Julian

I think that I've expressed this (I have done reduction on Mercury only once :wink: ): Mercury reduction is logically quite straight forward, as far as pattern recognition and turning the pieces in your head is concerned, I think the non-reduction method is easier.
I also find non-reduction easier. When reducing I use F' R' U R U' F (F=1, R=0, U=0) to cycle 3 small pieces between the circle edge groups for RU, RB, and RD. It's a simple enough process, but I find recognition confusing and it slows me down a lot.

I solved Mercury by reducing it to a Circle Cube with 5 moving faces on Sunday, and Earth by reducing it to a Circle Cube with 4 moving faces last night.

With Earth I did an extra step of solving the White-Green edge (with the standard color scheme, the one between the two 1 faces) with its corner pieces before grouping the other 11 edges. I kept messing up by using one of the 1 faces when storing or setting up edges, and realizing too late to undo. It took me around 4-5 attempts to finally almost-solve it (two edges had their connected blue and green pieces swapped due to a mistake during reduction).

Tonight I will try reduction with Venus. The tricky thing with Venus is that it isn't possible to flip edges when turning only the 0 faces, so I will orient all the edges after solving the inner edges and before grouping/reduction.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:21 am 

For Mercury reduction I only used RF'R'F until the cube was reduced. With U bandaged, I solved the back 2 edges on the sides first and then just kept them there. Then I alternated the front edges (on F) using RF'R'F to exchange edges from D (whichever was convenient for the next pairing) and just kept doing U then U`. To flip an edge you just put it in from a different target position. You can put them in position from U a similar way.

I haven't tried Earth yet, I look foreward to it (I think).
Burgo.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:40 am 

Burgo wrote:
I haven't tried Earth yet, I look foreward to it (I think).
Burgo.
Earth: When I tried to solve the red and orange small pieces into position to go with the White-Green edge, I found that I couldn't do it intuitively; I had to use [9,1] commutators to cycle the small pieces into position. Unless there is a fairly short algo/trick to this part of the solve, or a way of avoiding it, I'd say this takes away the main advantages of reduction (intuitive, avoids the need to find and use pure algos).

Venus: The reduction stage went fine, then towards the end (as with Saturn and Mars) I needed to solve edges then corners. So I find it easier just to solve the edges into position, then cycle the small pieces with [4,1] commutators, then cycle the corners pure, because I need to know that last 9-move algo whether I use reduction or not.

Neptune: I solved this using reduction on Saturday. I found reducing the corners similar in difficulty to Mars when figuring out how to set things up initially - which pieces to place first to get into a good rhythm/system grouping inner and outer corners - then I found the rest of the reduction slightly easier than Mars. It was fun seeing and solving the Fused Cube at the end.

So I have now solved all the planets with some reduction. I prefer to reduce all pieces with Jupiter and Uranus; corners with Mars, Saturn and Neptune; and nothing (just solve by piece type) with Mercury, Venus, and Earth. It's definitely fun to try reduction with Mercury, Venus, and Earth as an experiment, but I won't solve them that way again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:00 am 

Hi Julian,

Thanks for the heads up on all those other reductions, it might save a bit of frustration knowing some of that.

Burgo.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:41 pm 

any advice or tips on solving the circle corners of the Crazy Saturn Megaminx?
the taiwan blog seems to prefer reduction, but I've solved everything but the inner corners....
I haven't been able to find any good cycles (yet) for those corners...

Cheers,
Derek

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:59 pm 

Hi Derek,

Konrad has posted all of his circle corner cycles above (page 2). I use the single commutator (RU' L'U R'U' LU) y' (L'U RU' LU R'U') y for all the planets (with the M M' mentioned above for Venus). With Saturn use bandaged faces as U and D, it moves URF > ULF > ULB > RUB > BUL. It is a 5 cycle but because 3 are on the same face you can easily work with it, and it therefore acts as a 3 cycle in the end game anyway. I think I will put down the diagrams of all the planets with this alg for people to see.

PS Don't forget its mirror.

Good luck,
Burgo.

Edit: I've been meaning to get all this together for some time, so I'm glad you motivated me. I like to keep it all simple enough to remember (along with all those other cubes) so here's what I do. All diagrams are looking directly at the U face with the F face as the southern part of the diagram. All diagrams refer to (RU' L'U R'U' LU) y' (L'U RU' LU R'U') y with one exception and that is Venus which is (RU' L'U R'U' LU) M y' (L'U RU' LU R'U') y M'

I hope this all makes sense and helps someone,
Burgo.

PS Sorry Derek, I misread your post, I haven't solved the Saturn Megaminx yet, someone will have something for you.

Attachments:
planet-circle-corners.gif
planet-circle-corners.gif [ 70.66 KiB | Viewed 5589 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:41 am 

I just put a you tube tutorial up for solving the 3x3 earth, it is my first video. I think I sound like Agent Smith from The Matrix, ha ha. Here are the links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsqPzf_2CTE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MglcNxvlSUI

I couldn't find one in English when I was first trying to solve the puzzle, so I hope it helps someone, or encourages people to get into the crazy planets.
Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:46 am 

Hello together,

I am interested at Crazy Cubes.
The last 2 Steps for all this Cubes are "solve all the corners with commutators" like L' U R U' L U R' U' .
Then solve all triangles with commutator R' F' L F R F' L' F M F' L F R' F' L' F R M' .

Method 1)
For Mercury,Venus and Earth I solve at first the centeredges. Then I solve all edges
with easy sequences like R F' R' F or F R2 F' R2 etc.

Method 2)
For Jupiter I pair (tripples) centeredges with edges, then I solve as 3x3x3 cube.

For Neptune I solve the 3 faces with fixing centers like method 1) The rest I solve with Method 2).
For Uranus I solve the one edge between the 2 fixed centers, the rest like method 2).

Saturn I solve the centeredges and edges layer by layer. The last layer is (0) surroundet by (1)
then i bring up the the centeredges with
R' U' F' U F R.

To flip edges I repeat the sequence ( { R E } x 4 U { E' R' } U' ) repeat to edges are ok.

To permute the edges I use R2 U R2 U' R2 U2 R2 U2 R2 U' R2 U R2 U2 R2 U2
The center-edges R L F B are permutated too.

To permute only the edges I use a little trick. First turn R B L F R. So the paired corners are flipped.
Then the sequence above. Now R' F' L' B' R' (redo the flipping)

I think, there are better methods to solve the crazy 3x3x3 plus cubes. Perhaps it is possible to solve all cubes with
layer by layer method. Perhaps the awkward commutator method for centeredges (triangles) may be replaced.

I hope someone understand my bad english. Thanks for reading.

greets
Andrea

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:59 pm 

Burgo wrote:
I just put a you tube tutorial up for solving the 3x3 earth, it is my first video. I think I sound like Agent Smith from The Matrix, ha ha. Here are the links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsqPzf_2CTE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MglcNxvlSUI

I couldn't find one in English when I was first trying to solve the puzzle, so I hope it helps someone, or encourages people to get into the crazy planets.
Cheers,
Burgo.

Hi Burgo. Your videos helped me to solve the Earth cube. Thanks for posting them. I've seen quite a few tutorials and yours are right up there with the best. Keep up the great work. If you are considering posting more, how about Saturn or Mars?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:30 am 

ft38 wrote:
Hi Burgo. Your videos helped me to solve the Earth cube. Thanks for posting them. I've seen quite a few tutorials and yours are right up there with the best. Keep up the great work. If you are considering posting more, how about Saturn or Mars?

Thanks ft38,
That's a great compliment, I've added a few videos to my You Tube account. I wanted to add an `edges first method` so that I could leave `outer corner solving` out of future planet videos. I made Jupiter next because it uses a different method and it's a good introduction to planets. I was a bit disappointed with the colour in the second half (the camera misjudged the lighting), but it's watchable so I put it up. I was tired when I made the second bit, you can probably tell.

I think I will do Jupiter next (with GuiltyByStander's reduction method) because it is another `different technique`. Mars hey.. And Saturn, I don't think my Saturn method is the best. I might wait until I get a better method. It works for me but..

Here is the link for Jupiter:

Burgo’s Jupiter Tutorial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyrpWSNI3Us

And welcome Andrea

Cheers,
Burgo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:39 pm 

Hi Friends,

Just to let you know I have put reduction method for Mercury on You Tube. I think I have overcome the `visual difficulty` with doing it by this method. I hope you enjoy it:

Burgo's 3X3 Crazy Mercury tutorial in English (Part 1 of 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aWju46JUHE
Burgo's 3X3 Crazy Mercury tutorial in English (Part 2 of 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mseXYriurkE

I don’t know how easy to `get` this will be for beginners, but I would appreciate some feedback if you get `lost` (because maybe I can alter the video), even if it’s by PM to keep this thread uncluttered, if you feel it will help others through the tutorial though, please post it.

Cheers,
Burgo.

Post subject: new Idea for crazy cubes plus, inclusive mercury, that works
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:44 am 

Hello,

Thanks for the welcomme Burgo.

I hate to solve many triangles with long commutators. It's awful.

The taiwan puzzler named arvin-cubestore solved the crazy 3x3x3 plus earth with a reduction method.
The trick , bring the corners to the white face and permute the triangles.

This Method makes more fun.

This does not work for mercury because there is only one not fixed center area.

So i had an idea , inspired from this thread:

http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182904#p182904

the idea is, to configure a circle cube. Pair triangles not with corners. Pair triangles with EDGES !
After that you are able to solve the mercury easy like a circle cube. ( Supercube) The triangles automaticly are solved.

So it's possible to solve all the crazy plus cube intuitively with no commutators.

greets Andrea

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:42 am 

Quote:

I agree with this. The thing I liked about the earth video was that it helped me to do the inner edges, which I found the most difficult. (I know most people find that sort of thing intuitive but I don't). Having done that, I figured out methods for the outer edges and corners. But Burgo's video is slow enough to not get lost but not too slow. Well worth a watch.

Post subject: Re: new Idea for crazy cubes plus, inclusive mercury, that w
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:39 am 

Andrea wrote:
...So i had an idea , inspired from this thread:

http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182904#p182904

the idea is, to configure a circle cube. Pair triangles not with corners. Pair triangles with EDGES !
After that you are able to solve the mercury easy like a circle cube. ( Supercube) The triangles automaticly are solved.

So it's possible to solve all the crazy plus cube intuitively with no commutators.

greets Andrea
You had the same idea as GuiltyBystander in his original post about reduction above :)
Welcome to you from another German! :D
May I conclude from your name that we have got another female on board?
(I think the name Andrea is common for Italian males, only)
Anyway, I appreciate your ability to come up with own ideas for these nice Crazies!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:38 am 

Hello Konrad,

Quote:
You had the same idea as GuiltyBystander in his original post about reduction above

I' m not able to find that thread.

My idea only works for mercury. For all other planets exclusive venus the triangle-pairing with corners works.

For the venus I have no idea to solve the triangles easily. so i must use the commutator for the triangles
:( R' F' L F R F' L' F M F' L F R' F' L' F R M'

Perhaps some readers are able to help.

Konrad wrote:
Quote:
May I conclude from your name that we have got another female on board?

Yes. I am female. Greets back to Bavaria.

Cheers, Andrea

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:06 am 

Andrea wrote:
Hello Konrad,

Quote:
You had the same idea as GuiltyBystander in his original post about reduction above

I' m not able to find that thread.

I was talking about this post in this very same thread on page 1.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:40 pm 

Hi Andrea,

I just posted that method (reduction) on You Tube for Mercury (the link is above your post). I think I have overcome the visual difficulty with that solve which might interest Konrad. So far I have made videos for:

Earth with the `circle corners last` method
Jupiter with `reduction`
Mercury with`reduction`

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:44 am 

Hi Burgo,

thank you for your answer. I saw your video at Youtube. Excellent work ! I solve the opposite edges then the edges in upper layer , at last the edges in E layer, too. But I use a "keyhole/ slot" technique. Your technique ( permute 3 edges around a corner) with "sexy moves" ( by example R F' R' F) is better and easier than my method.

My problem is only the crazy-venus . :( I am only solve it with commutators ( triangles at last).

My solution with crazy-earth is different to your method (earth).
With crazy-earth after solving the inner (edge) crosses I solve the two upper triangles in oppsite of the (1) face. After that, I pair triangles with corners in a easy and fast way. I turn only the upper face (0) and the 2 (1) faces ( front and down) . I must use no commutator. After that I solve the paired blocks.

I will try to adapt your method for the venus. Had you tried your system with venus ?

Cheers, Andrea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:49 pm 

Hi Burgo,

I tried to adapt your system ( mercury) to the crazy-venus. It works fine.
I could solve the 4 side center-edges ( triangles) from the (0) sides.
For the top and bottom sides (1) I need a sequence that flips 2 edges.

Cheers, Andrea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:31 pm 

To flip 2 edges on crazy-venus I found:
Up side and bottom side are 1 ( center turns with edges)

Flip 2 opposite edges

Code:
+---+---+---+
|   |   |   |
+---+---+---+
| X |   | X |   <- flip the edges without the centers
+---+---+---+
|   |   |   |
+---+---+---+

F' L F L' U' ( permute 3 edges around corner )
F R' F' R U ( permute 3 edges around the adjacent corner)
R F2 R' F' R F' R' ( Sune, permute 3 edges in 1 face)

This is useful to solve the venus edges too.

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:03 pm 

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for posting your success, this is exactly how I intended the videos to be used, as a springboard for others to take further into other planets. The great thing about these puzzles is that they allow such a variety of techniques, and they are all interesting and valid. They have been the best `value for money`, or `bang for your buck` as motorbike riders say, of all my puzzles.

On this point, I would like to publicly give credit to everyone on the thread who helped me with those methods, especially Konrad (who has been invaluable), GuiltyByStander (without GuiltyBystander’s prompting I would have skipped over the possibility of solving Mercury by reduction to a circle cube), Julian (who has always been giving helpful advice since the beginning) and Katja (for her `commutator` and advice for Venus). There’s more, that’s just to keep it brief.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:15 am 

For all crazy-planet lovers,

I used one commutator for all crazy cubes. The idea is permute 3 corners with L F R' F' L' F R F', reconfigure the centers with M and then redo the corner permutation. Simmilar sequences like other posts here.

Here 4 variants from this commutator:
commutator 1
L F R' F' L' F R F' M F R' F' L F R F' L' M'

replalce L with R' and F with F'
commutator 2
R' F' L F R F' L' F M F ' L F R' F' L' F R M'

replace in commutator 1 L with L2 and R with R2
you get
commutator 3
L2 F R2 F' L2 F R2 F' M F R2 F' L2 F R2 F' L2 M'

make setup-move D2 than commutator 3 and undo setup D2
this is commutator 4
D2 L2 F R2 F' L2 F R2 F' M F R2 F' L2 F R2 F' L2 M' D2

i don't love this moves. Permute 24 Triangles with this is pain. So i try other systems like reduction, corner -triangle pairing, edge triangle pairing. I try to solve all 8 planets without this commutators.

Cheers, Andrea

Attachments:
File comment: for all crazy cubes
commutator 1
permute A -> B -> C -> A
front-center turns with edges ( 1)
upper-center doesn't turn with edges (0)
L F R' F' L' F R F' M F R' F' L F R F' L' M'

comm1.gif
comm1.gif [ 5.32 KiB | Viewed 5322 times ]
File comment: commutator 2
A -> B -> C -> A
R' F' L F R F' L' F M F ' L F R' F' L' F R M'

comm2.gif
comm2.gif [ 5.32 KiB | Viewed 5322 times ]
File comment: commutator 3
A -> B -> C -> A
L2 F R2 F' L2 F R2 F' M F R2 F' L2 F R2 F' L2 M'

comm3.gif
comm3.gif [ 9.18 KiB | Viewed 5322 times ]
File comment: commutator 4
permute A -> B -> C -> A
D2 L2 F R2 F' L2 F R2 F' M F R2 F' L2 F R2 F' L2 M' D2

comm4.gif
comm4.gif [ 5.05 KiB | Viewed 5322 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:02 pm 

Hello,

I would like to thank all of the contributors on this thread for their input. You have allowed me to truly enjoy the 3x3x3 crazy series. I have spent countless hours solving these cubes and look forward to spending more time.

For those of you who want a more visual approach to solving these cubes, please visit the following on YouTube:

Here is Burgo's channel, he does a great job in demonstrating his solving approach not only for the crazy 3x3x3 cubes, but other cubes as well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/burgocube

I am not sure this person is a member of the forum, but he does a great job of demonstrating his solving approach. Like Burgo, he is quite personable.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperAntoniovivaldi

Surprisingly, the following YouTuber does not post videos in English, but you can still follow his solving technique.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ArvinCubeStore

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:49 am 

I trust it's acceptable to post in this thread despite its age.

I found an easy way to solve the crazy 3x3x3 saturn. (Easy for me.) The ease is not in the overall big picture but rather the algs for inner corners, which are ultimate solution corner piece series (surprise surprise, given it's me...). Forgive me if my notation is wrong. To see the effect of each of the sequences below, try it on a solved saturn.

1) Outer edges - standard edge piece series from ultimate U' R U R' and its variants

2) Outer corners - standard corner piece series from ultimate U R U' L' U R' U' L and its mirror

3) Inner edges

o Hold cube with white or yellow ("0" face) at front.
o UB -> UR -> FR
o Corner piece series 1st turn clockwise but left turns use middle layer
o Turn whole cube 180 degrees about vertical axis and then turn middle horizontal layer 90 degrees anticlockwise
o Corner piece series 1st turn anticlockwise but right turns use middle layer
o Turn middle horizontal layer 90 degrees clockwise and then turn whole cube 180 degrees about vertical axis

(URU' M' UR'U' M) y2 E (U'L'U M' U'LU M) E' y2

4) Inner corners

o Hold cube with white or yellow on top.
o F(DR) – R(DB) – R(UB)
o CPS 1st turn clockwise but using left and middle layers for left turns U R U' (L'M') U R' U' (LM)
o U D'
o CPS 1st turn anticlockwise but using left and middle layers for left turns. U' (L'M') U R U' (LM) U R'
o D U'

I've solved the saturn a few times using this method and it's a joy to solve now, rather than an enigma.

Last edited by rline on Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:13 am 

Thank you, rline, for posting this.
As it seems, your adaptation of the Ultimate Solution is quite elegant :) Congratulations!
My original solution was quite a bit more tedious (until I could improve it thanks to Julian's hints- I had used a [16,1] commutator for the circle corners, where the 16 moves had been the CPS twice with y moves inbetween :roll: ).

I'll defintely try your method, when I will have more time (a few weeks from now).

How hard was Saturn for you compared with other planets you have solved?

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:56 am 

Quote:
As it seems, your adaptation of the Ultimate Solution is quite elegant :) Congratulations!

Thankyou, Konrad. That means a lot!

As I guess a few of you will be realising, all I really know is the ultimate solution. So with new puzzles, I essentially force myself to come up with something simple that fits into the "ultimate solution" model. I agree that this is a very elegant solution for saturn, particularly when I often read that saturn was supposed to be the hardest.

Quote:
How hard was Saturn for you compared with other planets you have solved?

Actually, I found saturn almost impossible at first. I could easily do inner edges quite quickly, but then was not able to place any outer edges using EPS. On a whim, I decided to pull it apart and re-make it solved, and then do some more experimenting. I decided to try and find an inner edge 3-cycle first. When I was able to find that, I realised that meant I could do outer edges then inner edges. Then outer corners were easy.

Inner corners...robertpauljr (you know him, I believe) had found a 3-cycle for inner corners. It is quite nice and works fine. I used it to solve the saturn. But it did not fit into either the standard CPS or EPS, so I decided to try and find a 3-cycle for the inner corners which was basically just CPS. I have spent literally hours trying variation after variation of things. I was just about to give up on it and thought that maybe I should try turning a middle slice halfway through a CPS and see what that did. I'm glad I did!

Despite having ordered all of them, I currently only have earth, uranus and saturn. With this new method, I would actually class saturn and earth around the same difficulty (that is, "easy") and uranus harder. Before this it would have been earth < uranus < < < saturn.

I hope one or two others try it to convince themselves how nice the 3-cycle is.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:54 am 

I look foreward to trying out your method :D .
Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:23 am 

Hi Friends,
I am happy tonight, I just solved Saturn by reduction and I think I have a nice method. I think I can recall somebody else solving it with reduction too, but I'm not sure?
Cheers,
Burgo :D :D .
Edit: I found it, it was Termite (Michael), last post on page 1.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:32 pm 

Burgo,

I too have learned to solve the Saturn cube using reduction and it is so much fun. As for my approach, I have borrowed from you and the other 2 YouTubers mentioned in my earlier post. These puzzles are very enjoyable. Have you tried Mars using reduction? It is just as much fun.

I have so many others puzzles queued up, but just can't put these ones down.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:41 am 

Burgo wrote:
Hi Friends,
I am happy tonight, I just solved Saturn by reduction and I think I have a nice method. ....
Hi Burgo,
I would be interested to try your reduction method when I'll have more time for puzzles (in a few weeks). Can you make it available somehow? (Youtube or here or whatever)?
I have tried reduction on Saturn, seriously.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:47 am 

Hi Friends,
I will post it soon, maybe a week or 2? I just want to iron it out a bit.

ft38 wrote:
Have you tried Mars using reduction? It is just as much fun.

I have not tried Mars, I had a conversation with Julian about these before I remember. Are you doing pure reduction or are you using commutators? Because I am talking about pure reduction. Mars to me seems hard, what to reduce it to, circle cube or 3x3x3? Perhaps I will have to visit it? What is your method for Mars? I might not read it for a bit because I am ironing out Saturn in my mind.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:52 am 

Hi Burgo,

Check out ArvinCubeStore YouTube videos, I have posted the link for the first video where he starts reducing corners.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ArvinCubeSt ... _3rOJQ1fIA

This video is labelled 2-0 in the series for the Mars cube. After this view 2 and then 3-1 to 3-4.

His 1 faces (inner moves with outer) are Blue, Orange and Green.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Frank

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:30 am 

Hello,
Thanks for the link ft38. All cubes without Mercury and Venus are solvable with easy corner - triangle pairing method. Very interesting is the Saturn.
The Saturn is not the hardest, I think. I believe, the hardest is Earth or Mars.

I use the Methods from ArvinCubeStore. Thanks Arvin.

For Mercury and Venus I pair triangles with edges. I use the methods like Burgo's tutorial. This does rule for Venus too.
Thanks Burgo.

Thanks for your website rline.
A question. I need a sequence that flips 2 edges in the last layer. (a) without the edgecenters. (b) with the edgecenters.
With Mercury and Venus , this is not a problem.
I need a sequence for the other Planets upper side is ( 0) fix centers. Front sinde is (1) ; centers turn with the side.
With such sequence the solutions of the planets become easier.

One Solution is
Example flip upper right and upper left edge.

{(R E )*4 U2 (E' R')*4 U2 } * a

a is a number that varies for each planet. It is 3, 5 or 7.
Perhaps there is a shorter, easier Sequence ?

Cheers
Andrea

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:13 pm 

Hi Andrea,

You're certainly welcome for the links, I'm glad they were helpful.

Once again, I encourage everyone to check out Burgo's YouTube channel (link above) for how to solve the Mercury cube using the reduction method. It is indeed a much more enjoyable way to solve this cube. I find his methods to be quite intuitive and they help to explain just how a cube works. I've also tried his edges first method for solving a 3x3x3 and it has become one of my favorite solving methods. It also helps to know this method when solving the last layer of Mercury using reduction.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:17 am 

Hi Everyone,

Here is my reduction method for SATURN.

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE3KMRBfjjI
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QGVK0InmYU
Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10jCu69YpVY

EDIT:
Due to some small confusion, I have added a link to my 3X3X3 Rubiks Cube `Domino Reduction Method` tutorial (because I went through the last part of the Saturn tutorial quickly). NB: The edges will `always` already be orientated on Saturn, if you have followed the method accurately. I then orientate corners with Sune to reduce the cube to a `scrambled` Domino / Tower Cube, and solve it with Domino Algs, keeping R as the same colour.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NwKQyF6Fxc
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax4PWpdarLw
Sorry in advance (if it’s patronising), it is intended to double as a beginner method.

I have succeeded in solving Saturn by first reducing the edge pieces out of place and then `repairing` their orbits afterwards, but I found this a very tricky method.

For the tutorial I have decided to use my previous LL method to initially place all edge triplets into their correct `orientation orbits` so that nothing needs to be flipped in the end. I wasn’t sure if my LL technique was clearly presented in my previous post either, so now you can see how it works in practice. I also think it offers good precision in placing the pieces. And I have amended the diagram to match the tutorial.

EDIT:
I have also added an alternate `part 2` for those wanting to use `Julian's 2 outside edge flipping sequence`:

Part 2 (alternative 1): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsdmmDABo_g
Another alternative, solving 3 remaining edges, `not a last layer`:
Part 2 (alternative 2): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7havC06xfn4

All in all I hope it is a very smooth, understandable method.
I hope you enjoy it, I worked hard to get it right.
Cheers,
Burgo.

PS Thanks for the compliments Frank.

Attachments:
saturn-algs.gif
saturn-algs.gif [ 69.1 KiB | Viewed 4873 times ]

Last edited by Burgo on Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:25 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:09 pm 

Burgo wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Here is my reduction method for SATURN.

....All in all I hope it is a very smooth, understandable method.
I hope you enjoy it, I worked hard to get it right.
Cheers,
Burgo.

PS Thanks for the compliments Frank.
Thanks Burgo for sharing this with us. Today, I had a time slot to try it.
(Sorry, rline, I hadn't time to try both your methods and I was more curious about reduction :) . I hope to try your Ultimate Solution method soon.)
I think you have done a good job explaining your method. :D

A few comments

- I think you should give a short explanation of Saturn at the very beginning (which faces are bandaged (1) and which are unbandaged (0) and that your cube has the specified colour scheme - white and yellow = 0 faces). Others may have a non-standard colour scheme. The colour scheme becomes pretty obvious, soon, but I think a short general explanation would be nice.
As your video is finished, you may just edit your text.
- You could add at the beginning, too, that the green face is the last layer for completing the edges.
- There is a tiny bug, where you explain the algorithm F U R U' R' F'. You are talking about "corner orientation" where you mean "edge orientation". (At least I use it in this context only.)
- In part 3, where you say around 9:11 that one face is now "entirely solved", you could clarify that you mean "now we have a state where the cube can be solved as a "Domino".
The question is: Is it helpful to introduce the Domino paradigm at all, after reducing the corners? Maybe it is better, not to talk about a Domino at all and just say: We have a restricted 3x3x3 now, where the unbandaged faces (white and yellow in the standard colour scheme) may never be turned.
This would allow Sune, Antisune, Corner 3-cycles, the "Parity" algorithm, whatever, as long as the white and yellow faces are never turned!
This would avoid that confused people like me come up with non-existing problems :lol:

My own first method for completing the edges had been similar to yours. I had a certain target pattern from where I could use a fix algorithm. Achieving that target pattern had been the hardest part.
With Julian's little but essential hint, the LL edges are now straight forward for me. I do the cross of inner edges first (green in your tutorial) and I flip opposite outer edges with the parity algorithm and the little setup sequence B L' B'.

EDIT: I hope you have not seen this post as critical. I have just tried to give a few hints to improve something further that is good, already. :) I have added another comment above.

EDIT2: I have changed my remark regarding the edges.

Last edited by Konrad on Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:30 am 

Hi Konrad,
Thanks for the constructive critique (don’t worry I would not take it the wrong way), I actually get a bit nervous putting videos online, because it’s worldwide, although you wouldn’t know it by the amount that I have made. It also feels strange talking to myself when I make them. Although, because of the spread of our little community, it is the closest we get to sitting and talking, I think. I added a small description to the start, that’s a good idea to make it more inclusive. And I muted the word `corners` in that slip, and it still flows because it is in the context of edges. A little bit in I say that I am leaving the green face to be the U layer, so, it was too much work to change that bit. (I am glad you picked up these couple of things early because it made it easy to change it: the videos were still in the editor). It's already done.

I am aware of the BL’B’ method. I still use mine though (I know we all prefer our own way :wink:), but in the end I just wanted to show `that` way (I think I have to show what I use and like). I actually look foreward to solving this part because it is a `little puzzle` and it's interesting for me (I think both ways are nearly the same). Your method is easy to adapt to the video though if people like that way, and in truth, I think most probably will.

I think the most interesting thing for advanced users might be the part 3 (I hope). Personally, I don’t know, because I don’t know what others do? Maybe it will be boring because everybody does it like that anyway? (That is what I worry about). Or maybe, if I am successful, people will pick up some nice tips to help their methods become smoother.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PS I just read the part about the Domino edges, the beauty of this method is that the domino edges will `always` be orientated correctly. But I probably should have called it a tower :roll:. Maybe I don't know what you mean? I just tried it with odd edges and it worked out OK.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:10 am 

Not to stray too far from the current topic, any advice to those who may be considering the undertaking of solving the crazy megaminx series? How similar are they to the cube versions, and is there a circle megaminx to cut my teeth on first?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next