Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 793 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cubesmith Update
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:22 pm 

can the clear sheets be used as transfer sheets? or are they too sticky for that?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:56 am 

Transfer tape is actually just sticky tape. The clear sheets would adhere far too strongly to the stickers, but if you can get some clear packing tape it would work well. Professional Vinyl shops really do just use very long rolls of packing tape.

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:43 am 

TomZ wrote:
Transfer tape is actually just sticky tape. The clear sheets would adhere far too strongly to the stickers, but if you can get some clear packing tape it would work well. Professional Vinyl shops really do just use very long rolls of packing tape.

This is correct, as far as the clear laminate being too sticky to use as top tape. I don't know what other shops use, but the application tape we have (which we can only get in large rolls, not in sheets we could cut up and add to the site) is even less sticky than packing tape, so it's not quite the same thing. I'm not sure how well packing tape would work, and would recommend trying it on a scrap before risking a sticker from a set. If the top tape sticks too much it'll warp and stretch the vinyl.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:02 pm 

TomZ wrote:
At one point I used painter's tape because it had lower adhesion. You want something strong enough to get the stickers off the backing, but weak enough to come off easily once the stickers are down.

Any number of tapes will probably work but, as cubegrrrl says, test it out first.

Personally I gave up on transfer tape a long time ago in favor of careful individual placement. Far slower, but far better results.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:44 pm 

Hey guys, we're going to add DaYan Gem 1 stickers to the site soon and I just wanted opinions on the color scheme...We don't have the puzzle in hand to check original colors, but from what we saw online they seem to have the same colors twice. If you guys prefer that type of color scheme, we can add a 7 color set, but from our experience with the Rainbow Cube, it seems like you guys prefer a 14 color set. We'd like to keep standard colors (white/black, yellow, red, orange, blue, green) on the larger faces, so we've got them plus purple and fuschia on the hexagonal faces, and for the square faces it'll be light blue, light green, aqua, light purple, middle grey, and tan. Let me know what you think. Thanks :)

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:25 pm 

Yeah that's look's good.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:42 pm 

cubegrrrl wrote:
We'd like to keep standard colors (white/black, yellow, red, orange, blue, green) on the larger faces, so we've got them plus purple and fuschia on the hexagonal faces, and for the square faces it'll be light blue, light green, aqua, light purple, middle grey, and tan.

I like the colour scheme for the large faces, except I usually use light purple because I think purple is a bit dark. On the triangle faces I used lavender instead of light purple.

But that's just me, so if people don't mind purple, go ahead. I can always order a few extra colors in singles to suit my taste. Just make sure you offer singles :D

I also usually change aqua and tan for silver and copper, but since the latter are in your megaminx schemes you (and everyone else) would probably want to keep those.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:19 am 

...I doubt that there are any plans for this in the future but just in case, I might as well mention that I'd love to see tiles for the FTO and/or Master Skewb. :P

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:27 pm 

DLitwin wrote:
TomZ wrote:
At one point I used painter's tape because it had lower adhesion. You want something strong enough to get the stickers off the backing, but weak enough to come off easily once the stickers are down.

Any number of tapes will probably work but, as cubegrrrl says, test it out first.

Personally I gave up on transfer tape a long time ago in favor of careful individual placement. Far slower, but far better results.

Dave

That actually might be what I will have to use. The Packaging tape that I use would be far to sticky. I am actualy looking for the application tape for something a bit larger than puzzle stickers, which is why I was hoping I could get it in a sheet. Ah well, I am sure I will figure something out.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:08 pm 

Muffet wrote:
I am actualy looking for the application tape for something a bit larger than puzzle stickers, which is why I was hoping I could get it in a sheet. Ah well, I am sure I will figure something out.
Try a local sign shop, they should have application film rolls. The TechShop gets it in rolls two feet wide. But if you can't find sheets, a few strips of overlapped painter's tape is not much different.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:22 pm 

We've added 5x5x5 V-Cube logos to the site, both individually and as part of the standard and white cube 5x5x5 tile sets.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:50 am 

The regular 3x3x3 tiles do not fit the dayan cubes (guhong, zhan chi,..) very well. They don't need to be smaller really, just more rounded corners. Is anything like that planned for these quite popular cubes?

Last edited by ortwin on Tue May 17, 2011 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:06 am 

Thanks for adding V cube 5 tiles!

I suggest Axis cube stickers!

This would be great!

Past project: The Geode
Current Project: Replica RPK-74
Future Project: Possibly another master mental
Oskar wrote:
I am now adding dummy cubes to my models to cross the 10% density threshold and save myself money big time.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:02 am 

Will you be doing full color maze? Looks really nice too.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:12 pm 

DaYan Gem 1 Sticker sets and singles are now available: http://cubesmith.com/DaYanGem.htm

ortwin wrote:
The regular 3x3x3 tiles do not fit the dayan cubes (guhong, zhan chi,..) very well. They don't need to be smaller really, just more rounded corners. Is anything like that planned for these quite popular cubes?

New tile sets require the expensive investment of a new die to punch the tile material....While we don't have any specific plans for new tile sets at the moment, it is likely that our next tile sets will be the for the 3x3x3 small sized puzzles. Check the site (or here) for updates.
CadenceCPK wrote:
Will you be doing full color maze? Looks really nice too.

I'm not sure what you mean...A six color set with the maze pattern printed on it? If that's what you mean, it's not likely...Because the mazes are screenprinted, we'd have to create 6 new pieces of artwork, one for each color/face, and each set would require six screens worth of printing, which is a lot of effort for one sticker set.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:27 pm 

cubegrrrl wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean...A six color set with the maze pattern printed on it?

Yeah.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:37 am 

ortwin wrote:

Why dont you use a nail clipper (or scissor) to cut it?

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:30 am 

CadenceCPK wrote:

Because the results I get this way are not satisfactory. Now that could be because I am not good with scisors and nailclippers, or because I want too perfect results. Either way if cubesmith is going to offer some professional made tiles for these cubes I would be happy.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:10 pm 

ortwin wrote:
CadenceCPK wrote:

Because the results I get this way are not satisfactory. Now that could be because I am not good with scisors and nailclippers, or because I want too perfect results. Either way if cubesmith is going to offer some professional made tiles for these cubes I would be happy.

Ditto. I've got a couple of mf8 ledgends begging to be tiled with Cubesmith tile material. The cubes are 54mm rather than 57, so the 1mm smaller tiles should work fine. I would also recommend that the small size tile squares have slightly roundier corners to guarantee a lean fit on any cube which the standard size does not.

Another caveat of cutting your own tiles, even if you do it precisely enough, besides being time consuming, the corners will be very sharp and you can feel those corners when manipulating the puzzle. This happened with my bandaged megaminx, which required me to cut a custom tileset for the bandaged pieces.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:35 pm 

Yay was right the mf8 legend is 54mm.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:19 pm 

I changed the stickers of my mf8 legend today, and smaller stickers fits on but like you almost don't see plastic. Would be good, if they would be stickers like 1-2mm smaller. And i think you will need to do stickers for the new alpha cc. I have the test version, and you need "specialy" shaped stickers to fit on nicely.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:15 am 

Drake wrote:
I changed the stickers of my mf8 legend today, and smaller stickers fits on but like you almost don't see plastic. Would be good, if they would be stickers like 1-2mm smaller. And i think you will need to do stickers for the new alpha cc. I have the test version, and you need "specialy" shaped stickers to fit on nicely.

Small sticker-2mm...

Oh gosh cubesmith has to order lots of dies for them lol :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:19 am 

CadenceCPK wrote:
Drake wrote:

Small sticker & 2mm smaller...

Oh gosh cubesmith has to order lots of dies for them lol :lol:

Post subject: Curvy Copter stickers
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:55 pm 

Any plans for Meffert's (TomZ's) Curvy Copter stickers? I got one recently, and while it has nice stickers, it would look even cooler with flourescent colors.

Chris

Post subject: Re: Curvy Copter stickers
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:59 am 

pelley wrote:
Any plans for Meffert's (TomZ's) Curvy Copter stickers? I got one recently, and while it has nice stickers, it would look even cooler with flourescent colors.

Chris

I would also like to resticker my curvy copter: smooth tiles please!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:19 am 

I would also love to see Curvy Copter Stickers, but first I'd like to see:

MF8 Dino Decahedron stickers
MF8 Helicopter Dodecahedron stickers
Mefferts Professor Pyraminx stickers
Rex Cube Stickers
Master Skewb stickers

Robert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:52 am 

I agree on most of those. Here's my list:

Dayan Gem II, III (urgently, the original stickers are horrible and you only get 8 colours)
Rex Cube
Master Skewb
Curvy Copter
MF8 Dino Decahedron
MF8 Helicopter Dodecahedron

Cubegrrrl, are you planning for any of these in the near future?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:28 am 

Also V Cube 2 tiles for 2a and 2b. I know that there are 2x2 tiles but I want the want with a V like the 5,6 and 7.

Robert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:55 am 

Yes me to I need rex cube stickers :oops: .

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:21 pm 

I will run all of your requests by Chris, but I wanted to let you guys know that, while we hate to have to do it, rising supply cost have caused us to increase our shipping fees to $2.50 for orders totaling less than $15.(Orders totaling more than $15 will still ship free.) We don't want to have to increase sticker prices, so we are going to try this to see if it helps cover some of our costs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:51 pm 

I have passed the list of requests on to Chris. We do have the V-Cube 2x2 puzzles, the Professor Pyraminx, the MF8 Dino Decahedron, and the MF8 Helicopter Dodecahedron puzzles. We will get the stickers done for those as soon as we can. We checked our sticker sizes against the V-Cube 2x2x2 square (non-pillowed) puzzle, and it looks like it's about the same size as the Eastsheen 2x2x2 puzzle and the Eastsheen tiles and sticker fit perfectly, so we will not be adding a new set for that puzzle.
We added a new logo to the site, a 3x3x3 blue logo printed on white vinyl. Right now we only have the 3x3x3 standard size, but if they are popular we can offer more colors and sizes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:16 pm 

cubegrrrl wrote:
We checked our sticker sizes against the V-Cube 2x2x2 square (non-pillowed) puzzle, and it looks like it's about the same size as the Eastsheen 2x2x2 puzzle and the Eastsheen tiles and sticker fit perfectly, so we will not be adding a new set for that puzzle.

But can we get a 'V' for the 2x2 tiles?

Robert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:54 pm 

cubegrrrl wrote:
I have passed the list of requests on to Chris. We do have the V-Cube 2x2 puzzles, the Professor Pyraminx, the MF8 Dino Decahedron, and the MF8 Helicopter Dodecahedron puzzles. We will get the stickers done for those as soon as we can. We checked our sticker sizes against the V-Cube 2x2x2 square (non-pillowed) puzzle, and it looks like it's about the same size as the Eastsheen 2x2x2 puzzle and the Eastsheen tiles and sticker fit perfectly, so we will not be adding a new set for that puzzle.
We added a new logo to the site, a 3x3x3 blue logo printed on white vinyl. Right now we only have the 3x3x3 standard size, but if they are popular we can offer more colors and sizes.

im still hoping for teraminx tiles, my teraminx stickers refuse to stay put and im tired of buying new sets and replacing them all the time. or at least sell stickers sets that just have the little triangle tips on them for the tera.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:04 am 

Last edited by bish on Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:00 pm 

bish wrote:
ndgamer4life wrote:
my teraminx stickers refuse to stay put and im tired of buying new sets and replacing them all the time

Do you clean teraminx surface before stickering? I use cleaning benzine to remove dirt, greasiness and old sticker glue, and stickers are holding pretty good.
And don't forget to secure stickers (step 5) ;)

i clean with googone then i silicone it and clean it and dry it over and over so i know the surface is dry enough for the stickers to stay put. like i said its mostly the little points that have the most problems, but tiles on a teraminx would be awesome anyway. but i have never secured my stickers in that method before. they just dont have enough surface to stick on to, too fragile, thats what i get for buying the c4u tera.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:32 am 

And i think typce c 2x2 stick3ers would be nice to, cause on the typce c 2x2, the stickers are rounded, and i doubt the normal stiker will fit nicely on it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:56 am 

Robert111 wrote:
cubegrrrl wrote:
We checked our sticker sizes against the V-Cube 2x2x2 square (non-pillowed) puzzle, and it looks like it's about the same size as the Eastsheen 2x2x2 puzzle and the Eastsheen tiles and sticker fit perfectly, so we will not be adding a new set for that puzzle.

Robert

I think the answer to this question is in regards to if V-Cubes wants Cubesmith to allow these logos. Remember how Cubesmith used to carry the Rubik's Cube logo?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:53 pm 

Rentlix wrote:
Robert111 wrote:
cubegrrrl wrote:

Robert

I think the answer to this question is in regards to if V-Cubes wants Cubesmith to allow these logos. Remember how Cubesmith used to carry the Rubik's Cube logo?

Yeah but they have logo for the 5x5,6x6 and 7x7, so hmm :oops: ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:06 pm 

Gear shift stickers please. The color scheme seems strange...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:02 pm 

Hey guys, we're busy working on lots of new stuff for the site. Today we added 2x2x2 Pillowed V-Cube sticker sets and singles (http://cubesmith.com/2x2x2%20Pillowed%20V-Cube.htm). I will try to get pics up tomorrow. I have mentioned the requests for 2x2x2 logos to Chris, both for tiles and stickers, V-Cube and Cubesmith logos. We've added them to our to-do list.
ndgamer4life wrote:
im still hoping for teraminx tiles, my teraminx stickers refuse to stay put and im tired of buying new sets and replacing them all the time. or at least sell stickers sets that just have the little triangle tips on them for the tera.

We will be adding extra triangle stickers to both the Teraminx and the MF8 Gigaminx stickers (as we did with the C4Y Gigaminx stickers), but they will not be included until we sell out of the stock we have which does not include the extra triangles. The reason they don't stick very well to the puzzle is due to the size and shape; there's just not enough surface area on the sticker for it to adhere well enough to hold up to normal use. If you have already purchased a set, or purchase one before they're added, feel free to send us an email at cubesmithorders@gmail.com with your transaction ID number, and we'll give you 6 extra triangles for each color you've ordered. We have no plans at this time for either Teraminx or Gigaminx sticker sets, though it's not out of the question for the future. We are having a lot of trouble with our die punch for the Megaminx, and don't want to add another similarly shaped set until we get it running more smoothly.
cubedude76 wrote:
Gear shift stickers please. The color scheme seems strange...

We have the puzzle on order and plan to eventually offer stickers for it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:17 pm 

http://cubesmith.com/Lubricant.htm
Cubesmith is now offering our own brand of puzzle lube. (Please refresh the page if the link does not go directly to Cubesmith Lube.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:43 pm 

I know direct comparisons of different lubricants are virtually impossible using online methods like text or video reviews, but is there a way to compare this with other lubes? This I think would be an answer calling for a different thread.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:21 am 

Hmm just from what its says its seems pretty similar to lubix.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:17 pm 

Location: The land of dreams, coincedentally located in Alberta
Here are the stickers I'd like (not asking for tiles, since apparently that would be too expensive):
- Professor Pyraminx
- Curvy Copter
- Mosaic Cube
Those are just some puzzles that stickers would be nice for, although it might not be profitable since one of them is newly released and the other two probably haven't sold very many.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:44 pm 

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that we've added a few things to the site...
5x5x5 V-Cube tile sets now come in a few more color combinations (fluorescent orange or light orange in place of the standard orange)
3x3x3 standard sized sets are now available in 'half-bright with bright blue' and 'half-bright with fluorescent pink'. We've noticed a lot of orders for half-bright sets with either a bright blue or fluorescent pink single, so we decided to start offering them as sets. We will get them added to all the other sizes as soon as we can.
Crazy 3x3x3 stickers are now available. These are the same stickers as used on the ends of the 3x3x2 puzzle.
You can find sets and singles here: http://cubesmith.com/3x3x3%20Crazy.htm
Drake wrote:
Hmm just from what its says its seems pretty similar to lubix.

We did try to match Lubix's viscosity, since it seems to be the most popular and preferred lube out there...Hopefully as people start to receive their orders of Cubesmith lube, reviews and comparisons will start showing up online.
GoombaGeek wrote:
- Professor Pyraminx
- Curvy Copter
- Mosaic Cube

These are all on our to-do list, as we've gotten several requests for all of them. No guarantees, but I think the Professor Pyraminx will be our next available sticker set.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:57 pm 

How many differnet colors do you have total? And can you get even more?

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:47 pm 

Sigurd wrote:
How many differnet colors do you have total? And can you get even more?

We currently have 47 colors of vinyl, plus the shade shifting material (which is not available in all color/size combinations since it has been discontinued by our supplier). We offer (or have tried) just about everything our supplier offers...There are a couple of shades very similar to what we already offer, so we've just chosen one shade to sell. There are some other options that won't work for what we do (like large patterns which would be lost on a small sticker), or patterns only offered on one or two colors, so we couldn't make a whole set out of it. As it is, with our mosaic set we had to use a mosaic fuschia in place of the green we'd normally offer in a set, and the mosaic gold, which is a circular mosaic pattern rather than the square mosaic pattern on all 5 other colors in the set. We get new material catalogs regularly and are always looking for a new material that cubers might like. If you guys ever see something you like and want us to carry, let us know and we'll look into it - that's how we ended up offering the shade shifting material while it was available. Before anyone asks, unfortunately we can't get the textured vinyl that's found on (I think) the original Pyraminx puzzle. We've had a lot of requests for it, but just can't find a match. Same goes for transparent vinyl, like what's found on the Rubik's 2x2x2 Ice Cube. We got what our supplier called transparent, but it just isn't transparent.

For our tile material, which we manufacture here in our shop, we currently have 15 colors, and hope to offer more in the future. We have tried several fluorescent colors which, aside from the orange, have not been successful. The colors come out streaky and just don't look good. Again, we're always on the lookout for new colors, and if there's something you guys want just ask.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:02 pm 

cubegrrrl wrote:
if there's something you guys want just ask.

Tuttminx tiles! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:26 am 

Jared wrote:
cubegrrrl wrote:
if there's something you guys want just ask.

Tuttminx tiles! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ouch :? lol.

And for the lube im may buy it. Im doing an order so I will see. The only reason that im not sure, is that i already have lubix lol. But just one question of what is it made?

Like lubix is made of poysstyrene silicone, (that you can find to mcnugget :| , that you can find in other stuff to)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:20 am 

cubegrrrl wrote:
, and if there's something you guys want just ask.

I guess I mentioned before in thid thread that I think cubesmith should offer smooth tiles that fit dayan GuHong, LingYun, LunHui and ZhanChi. Also for F-type cubes and mf8 legend.

I think all these can be covered with one zize of tiles, maybe the "small size 3x3x3" that you offer in stickers would be the correct one.

Since there are some quite popular cubes on this list, I think it should be worth a try.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 793 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next