Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Twistypuzzles Dictionary
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:35 am 

I had this idea last night while I'm in my room playing a cube and saw my dictionary in my table. How about this site having its teminologies compiled? :) That might help the future twistypuzzlers. I don't know if somebody already had think of this. But how about that? :D :D :D
Terms like fudging, jumbling, and tolerance will be a great samples for the Twistypuzzles Dictionary. :)

Rex Perez

FB Account
Puzzle Lust
Youtube Account

Post subject: Re: Twistypuzzles Dictionary
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:47 am 

There have been many topics with lengthy discussions written about various terms. One needs only to utilize the search function. Another issue, while there is generally some general consensus regarding most terminology, people each share their own opinions, and sometimes a new puzzle concept changes the way we think about ideas. I personally believe that creating a rigid set of definitions would stifle some of the enlightening dialog and creative processes that take place in the community.

These definitions would have to be maintained and updated regularly. Additionally, there will always be new material needing to be added. For years, the puzzle database was severely outdated, and it required a lot of effort and volunteers to update it, so priority has to be given to these things.

Post subject: Re: Twistypuzzles Dictionary
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:45 am 

In any case, I would suggest that if a term is worth defining, then it should go in Wikipedia, which is already set up to allow collaborative editing. Then somebody could just create a thread containing a simple list of links to all TP-related definitions in Wikipedia. This would be much better than filling up TP forum with endless discussions and debates on terminology, which would make it impossible to keep a simple dictionary where one could easily find clear up-to-date definitions.

Just my 2 cents. :D