Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Solving a puzzle
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:34 am 

I just bought a Mozhi Magic Cube (also known as a Big Star Cube), but the package didn't have any info on how to solve the puzzle. Can anyone help?

Post subject: Re: Solving a puzzle
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:02 am 

Barely any puzzles show how you're meant to solve it. Otherwise it somewhat kills the purpose of the puzzle. If it is the puzzle I think it is, then it should solve the same as a 3x3x3. A picture of the puzzle would be nice.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:11 am 

This is the best picture I can find; hope it helps

Attachments:
big star crop.jpg
big star crop.jpg [ 50.74 KiB | Viewed 1083 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:15 am 

Yep, just solve it like a 3x3x3. Work out which pieces are the corners and which pieces are the edges and then solve it like a 3x3x3.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:32 am 

Thanks a lot, I'll give it a try!

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:51 am 

Luke wrote:
Barely any puzzles show how you're meant to solve it. Otherwise it somewhat kills the purpose of the puzzle.

I totally agree. I can understand people buying puzzles to collect but if you want to solve them surely you have to solve them by yourself. Otherwise you haven't solved anything.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:46 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
Luke wrote:
Barely any puzzles show how you're meant to solve it. Otherwise it somewhat kills the purpose of the puzzle.

I totally agree. I can understand people buying puzzles to collect but if you want to solve them surely you have to solve them by yourself. Otherwise you haven't solved anything.

If I may derail this thread from its original purpose (but not from the title!) then I must disagree slightly. I have found that by looking up the solutions and repeating them many times over, through careful observation I have been able to understand the puzzles better. This is especially helpful with jumbling puzzles like the DaYan Gem 1 and the Helicopter Cube (through observing the moves used in a jumbling solution to the Helicopter, I have been able to grasp some of the mathematics and modify some of the formulae to better suit my needs). It is sort of like...history. If you study what has happened, you can predict what will happen (or you might describe it like locking the barn once the horses have escaped, although that doesn't quite support my opinion :? :roll: ).

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:10 am 

I would like to thank everyone profusely for replying to this post, but my problem is, I normally (for a 3x3x3) start looking at the blue face and go from there; what's the best strategy for the Big Star, the tip of each face doesn't go anywhere, just round and round, so do I start with the next level down, or a criss-cross from the tip?

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:06 am 

Hi Tvmikey,

I have this cube, it's just a supercube. So depending on your 3x3 strategy (it may or may not be supercube friendly), you just have to envision a cube in there. Look right into the middle for the 3x3x3 cube. The tips are the `centre pieces` and the colours on the sides are the `supercube aspect` of them (they need to be orientated). I hope this makes sense to you, it's really not that hard, it's just a bit visually dazzling.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)