Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tom z's 3x4x5 revisited
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:11 pm 

Hey all, long time avid reader, first time poster! I started collecting twisty puzzles about 6 months ago, and have recently delved into the murky water of cuboids. After learning the algorithms and strategies of the 3x3x4, 3x3x5 and 3x3x6, I decided to see if I can apply what I learned to the scary shapeshifting cuboids (the ones with both even or both odd number sides). I guess I got a little cocky after solving the DIY 4x4x5 and Smaz's fully functional 3x3x5 shapeshifting cuboid. I purchased Tom z's fully functional 3x4x5 from Shapeways, which he fully assembled and stickered for me. The tension was perfect, and it was beautifully crafted. Of all the puzzles I've worked with, I have to say this one is, by far, the most challenging and entertaining solving experience that I've had. Fantastic job! Far superior to the mods of the Siamese cubes. I also like the shape shifting capacity. Well done Tom! I scrambled it almost as soon as I opened it, but I wasn't brave enough to scramble it with shape shifting. I finally took the plunge, and did a full shapeshifting scramble. After hours of working with it, and some modifications of algorithms, I did solve it, but I think I more just stumbled on the solution rather then actually develop a strategy. I vowed, in the midst of my efforts, that once solved, it would never again be scrambled, and would sit on my counter as a trophy to my successful efforts, even if it was more chance then skill. I highly recommend this puzzle, as its fully functional, durable, and about as challenging as you can hope for. So there it sits, solved, but like a siren to a sailer, beckoning to rescramble. Challenging me to take the risk and see if I really did conquer the thing, or just fell into the solution with only a meager understanding. Knowing that puzzles are to be solved and not just admired, with shaky hands and sweaty brow, I am now proceeding to rescramble it. Lets see what happens next...

Post subject: Re: Tom z's 3x4x5 revisited
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:30 pm 

Good luck with solving it again. I think you've convinced me to start saving for one of these. I agree with you that puzzles are to be solved and not just admired. Otherwise you might as well just build a non-functional marble sculpture of a puzzle and put it on a shelf. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:49 pm 

Hah! Well put, Mouser. [i]Hmm I've got it back to the cuboid form, now what to do about these darn parities...[/i]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:57 pm 

I have come to a situation where one move is blocked. I have no clue how (or what actually happened) but I can say that I am positive that it is true. After shape shifting, but the puzzle forms a shape where the move is regularly possible, but it's blocked. (what have happened?) do you know anything about this?

btw. I have not solved this thing yet! I guess I am not the kinda guy who is good with discovering new algs.. :(

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:06 pm 

I'm sorry, this is terribly off-topic, but I demand you relinquish your username so I can take it for myself.

:lol:

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:55 pm 

Sigurd, the blocked move may be at the very edge where the shape shifting gives the illusion that its a side, when its really just a jumble of misplaced cublets (cubies?). Thus go the vicissitude of the shape shifters....
NType, there is always room for more who use my name, at least 11 so far, from what I understand...
Tom Z, curse you and your ingenious contraption! But I think I almost have it solved again, just a little more pressure with the screwdriver...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:19 am 

Aha! I think I've figured it out. The trick is to get it from the shapeshifting scramble to the cuboid scramble in the right configuration to solve with 180 degree algorithms. This means defining the corners while doing my 3x3x4 part of the solves based on the outside cube, not the inside cube. This takes away any impossible paritys. I've solved it numerous times in just a few minutes, so I think I've got it conquered. Now, time to sleep, then move on to the next challenge...
By the way, it's actually Tom v, not Tom z. Sorry Tom!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:41 pm 

Ok, so here is where to solve it once and for all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yjjya1BhFQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EznQQB3Ub70

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp6olkcdthI

Hope it helps! I'm curious what other solutions people may have...