Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My collection
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:01 am 

Well since I'm new here I'm figured I should post my collection. So here it is:

Excuse the books :)

For now I can solve all cubes except the 4x4x5. I'm stuck at solving the last layers middle edges. Cant seem to come up with something that will solve them.

Soooo anyways, thats it :)

Post subject: Re: My collection
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:42 pm 

Very nice collection.

Tony Fisher wrote:
MaCheezm0 wrote:
2nd layer using Fisher parts

I very much hope you mean Fisher Cube parts.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:28 am 

Sooo, I'm about to order some new cubes. Any "must-have" cubes or any tips to what cubes I should buy? My main focus is solving them, so nothing way out of my league. And I don't mind learning something new, though 4x4x5 gave me a REALLY hard time. Solved it now though with good help from this forum.

So, any tips?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:45 am 

My advice is to get a Helicopter Cube while you still can. You can find them on eBay.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:55 am 

I would suggest looking into:

Square-1 - I just purchased one recently and I can't put it down.

The crazy 3x3x3 series - some good info here http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19419&start=0

hope this helps! :P

Volitar Prime wrote:
My advice is to get a Helicopter Cube while you still can. You can find them on eBay.

Could you perhaps provide a link? I have searched over and over for a long time and have come up with nothing ! :(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:02 am 

master pyramorphinx is an interesting puzzle to solve, and it looks great on the shelf. you have a very nice collection.

4x4:29.29/33.53

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:06 am 

Would you perhaps be interested in getting the Megaminx series?

I like the collection of books too. How'd you go about getting those versions of the Harry Potter series?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:23 am 

Sacro wrote:
Well since I'm new here I'm figured I should post my collection. So here it is:

Excuse the books :)

I am always interested to notice what others are reading. From "Den mørke materien" to "Den uendelige historie" you seem to have the same interests like myself, with the only difference that I am reading the books in English resp. German.
A nice Harry Potter edition, too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:00 pm 

I agree with rentlix. The pyraminx crystal is great to solve but if you only care about solving, don't get it and a flowerminx. Also some custom puzzles would spice up your collection, and burn a hole through your walet :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:22 pm 

Ok so, i should probably get a Square-1, a crazy 3x3x3 or 3x3x2 and a helicopter cube if i can get my hands on one then?! Perhaps a megaminx also? The pyraminx didnt really put up much of a challenge since its mostly just IQ based, or at least seems that way to me. Was quite fun though since i didnt use alogarithms at all.

Also the books... The Harry potter collection is a Norway exclusive set, sry bout that :) Other than that, "den uendelige historien" is better known as "The Neverending story", and "Den Mørke Materien" better known as "His Dark Materials" :P

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:26 pm 

PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
I agree with rentlix. The pyraminx crystal is great to solve but if you only care about solving, don't get it and a flowerminx. Also some custom puzzles would spice up your collection, and burn a hole through your walet :lol:

Not sure costum puzzles is my thing. Expensive and usually you need knowledge of quite abit of cubes to solve them if they're very advanced?

Also, an extra add. What do people think of a "rubiks mirrorcube" style kinda 3x3x5 ? http://xhandel.no/index.php?product_name=Irregular+3x3x5+Brain+Teaser+Magic+IQ+Cube+%28Green%29&site=produkt_info&produkt_id=79679&kategori_id_1=&kategori_id_2=&kategori_id_3=#

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:25 pm 

Definitely get a helicopter cube if you can, it is one of my favorite puzzles (out of around 50 or so). I would recommend purchasing one of those, as well as a Square-1 or a Square-2. If you can, I would also say get a skewb and/or a master skewb. The skewb is pretty simple, and the master skewb is a great puzzle.

I myself don't have many custom/printed puzzles, only two, but I can say that they are wonderful. Though most are expensive, they are well worth the price.

Also, if you want a good challenge, buy a latch cube. I found it fiendishly difficult at first, but it was a wonderful challenge.

Chris

John F. Kennedy said: "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." One of those other things may have been building the 17x17x17.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:40 am 

cjgerik wrote:
Definitely get a helicopter cube if you can, it is one of my favorite puzzles (out of around 50 or so). I would recommend purchasing one of those, as well as a Square-1 or a Square-2. If you can, I would also say get a skewb and/or a master skewb. The skewb is pretty simple, and the master skewb is a great puzzle.

I myself don't have many custom/printed puzzles, only two, but I can say that they are wonderful. Though most are expensive, they are well worth the price.

Also, if you want a good challenge, buy a latch cube. I found it fiendishly difficult at first, but it was a wonderful challenge.

Chris

What IS a latch cube really? I know what it looks like and all, but whats special about it? Turns only one way?

And if anyone knows where to get a nice quality helicopter cube, please let me know with links or somerthing. Seems like a hard cube to find for sale?!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:35 pm 

A latch cube is a 3x3x3 cube that has the edges divided into two groups: counterclockwise, and clockwise. These can be seen by the different colored arrows, black and white. When you have the same colored arrows on the same face, it will turn the direction they point. However, if there are contrasting arrows on the same face, it will not turn. Therefore, when it is scrambled, some sides can become locked, unable to turn. When you are solving it, sides will change between being able to turn and not being able to turn.

It is a great puzzle! Very fun to play with, a difficult solve in my opinion. Hope it helps.

Chris

John F. Kennedy said: "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." One of those other things may have been building the 17x17x17.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:42 am 

cjgerik wrote:
A latch cube is a 3x3x3 cube that has the edges divided into two groups: counterclockwise, and clockwise. These can be seen by the different colored arrows, black and white. When you have the same colored arrows on the same face, it will turn the direction they point. However, if there are contrasting arrows on the same face, it will not turn. Therefore, when it is scrambled, some sides can become locked, unable to turn. When you are solving it, sides will change between being able to turn and not being able to turn.

It is a great puzzle! Very fun to play with, a difficult solve in my opinion. Hope it helps.

Chris

Just about what i thought. Thank you for the explanation. And yes, it does look interesting and fun, and really sounds like hell to solve :P Might just end up in my postbox in two weeks :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:08 am 

Well guess my next cube turned out to be a Helicopter Cube!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Helicopter-Cube-Int ... 4158aeb6ac

Nice quality and quite smooth in movement. Ill see if i can post a picture of it later. Took 5 business days to ship after payment was complete, from US to Norway. Nice ;)

Now to solve it :P

More cubes on the way, so i guess ill post more as they show up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:12 pm 

Very nice! I saw this auction and was wondering whether or not you had purchased one! It is an excellent puzzle, so much so that it has made my favorite type of turning edge-turning, which is why I am most likely going to be an edge-turning octahedron soon. Hope you enjoy it!

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:55 pm 

Cube is great, though it was very easy to solve even without any special help as long as its just scrambled. My next challenge might be to jumble it :P Any tips on what to do and what NOT to do when jumbling? What problems might i encounter?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:22 am 

Honestly I don't think jumbling is all that difficult, all it does is make certain centers change orbit. I'd recommend starting with the cube solved and messing around with it to find an algorithm that causes two centers to change orbit while leaving the rest in their proper orbit. Once you can get two to change orbit, and once you jumble it, solve the centers' orbits and then solve as you would normally. Good luck!

Chris

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:14 pm 

Additions to my collection:

Helicopter cube, solved and known by heart now. Some help with jumbling. Scrambling figured out myself.
Megaminx, solved like a 3x3x3 by myself.
Square-1, Stuck, but i did get a bunch of alogarithms so i guess i need to learn them to actually solve it by myself. Sucks abit how this one was surpricingly hard.
Rubiks World (1980s, 3x3x3 without stand), had one piece flipped. Managed to pop it and sort it out. Just a 3x3x3 with directions on centres so not very hard.
Rubiks Earth 2x2x2, new with stand (cube4you), just a 2x2x2 but looks good in my collection :)
Rubiks 2x2x2, new, just had to buy one and im also getting myself a rubiks ice cube for looks
Hello Kitty 3x3x3, for wifey who just cant seem to put away her Hello Kitty facination. Made us both lol :)

Figured theres no reason to post new pictures just yet, but after collecting some more i'll update those too!

Next in line:
Scewb
V6
Rubiks 2x2x4
Gear Cube
Latch Cube

Anyone got other must have puzzles thats actually possible to solve? PS. i actually hated square-1 so please avoid square-1 puzzles until further notice :)