Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Algorithm Book by Hammond
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:16 pm 

Dear All,

I was wonering if anyone was familiar with Nicolas hammond's book entitled "How To Solve the Cube In 37 Seconds?" Does it have some sufficiently good algorithms? Is it possible to get sub-37 sec. with the method, or is the title spot on?

Thanks all!

Always,

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:12 pm 

Hi :)

It is always possible to be faster with a method than has been achieved before. So yes, logically faster than 37 secs must be possible with that book. Another matter is that 37 secs is not at all fast by todays standards. So without knowing the method/algorithms in the book it's not the one to go for if you wanna be a top 3x3x3 speedcuber :?

Have fun!

-Per

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:40 pm 

I would say that 37 seconds is just how fast the guy who wrote the book could do it. Faster people could do the same thing in less time, probably.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:27 pm 

Hello all,

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate it.

I suppose what I am curious about is the method itself. As someone who has only recently returned to using the Rubik's cube I have been looking around for a good, solid set of algorithms for speed cubing and was wondering if Mr. Hammond's method was a good. I wonder, though, if a choice of method really comes down to finding one that suites one's taste and style for notation and moves, and from there is a matter of working on the prescribed algorithms in order to maximize (i.e. lower) one's solve time.

To be honest I am at the stage of just trying to figure the cube out and am not too concerned with time of solving. Thus I am more interested with learning a method that will benefit my later times so that I can cut down on possibly having to learn multiple algorithm methods to go from basic solve to sub-20 sec. (if i am ever so lucky, which I am not claiming I ever will be).

I suppose, then, my question should be more of what solving method(s) do people like to use and why? Does that method(s) have more straightforward algorithms, or does it/they have a style that is more befitting the user and from there they just play to tailor the algorithms to their manner of solving? Or do people like hybrid methods as they learn to borrow and amalgam different systems?

I will re-post a new topic of the same question and see what people think.

Thanks all!

Happy cubing!

Sam