Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How to make a speedcube
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:11 pm 

At the moment, my new studio cube is nowhere near as smooth as my DIY cube. They have both been lubed, had their springs adjusted and been "broken in", but still feel very different.

What other little tweaks do people do to their cubes, and how effective are they?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:40 pm 

I really believe direct sunlight while you solve and scramble helps smooth it out. I bet after an hour of this on a warm day would help. Even better is the beach, as much as you try to avoid getting sand in your cube, a small amount still does and its usually fine sand blown by the wind. If you twist your cube with some fine sand in the sun, it makes a huge difference once you clean and lube it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:46 pm 

I'm a sander.
Getting rid of the little edges from misaligned molds is a good thing. Also, you get a bit of the ever present "cube dust" from doing that.
I'm a fan of the "soft" feeling cube, and that helps it out a lot. I hate the right out of the package just lubed feel.

I have a feeling if you use a finer grit than I do (about 50) you wouldn't get that soft effect.

I also have to sand the sides of the center caps, but that's because I get the walmart versions. Their tolerances aren't that good, but once you set them right .... I like my cube.

Other than that, there is nothing I do. Straight out of the walmart box, apart, sand, lube, together, then cube.

Fox

Post subject: Re: Lubing Question
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:30 pm 

Hello All,

I have read on how to make a speedcube, yet I had a question. After reading several websites I think I would like to try the KY liquid drops as it sounds like they work very well, even in comparison to pure silicone spray.

However when I take my cube apart I am not clear as to exectly where in the cube I should place the liquid drops. Does anyone, by chance, know if I should put the drops directly on the central mechanism (that holds the 4 central cubes), on the central cubes and on the inside of the movebale cube corners and edges, or just on the inside of the edge and corner cubes?

It is too bad that I found out about different types of lubruicating after I had bought my first Walmart Rubiks.com cube. This was the first cube I have obtained since I was young and I only ever recall using Vasoline as a lubricant. As such I used this compound on my new Rubiks.com cube. :oops: Yet after reading about the dangers of using petroleum based lubricants I now regret having done so. At least I found alternatives before I got my Studio Cube!

Thanks all for your help with converting my Stidio Cube into a speedcube.

Happy cubing,

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:01 pm 

I've tried the liquid, I would just put a drop between two layers and spread it by turning the cube. It gets around.

I have some of the lube from Rubiks.com and have been using it since I got it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:18 pm 

AndrewSeven wrote:
I've tried the liquid, I would just put a drop between two layers and spread it by turning the cube. It gets around.

I have some of the lube from Rubiks.com and have been using it since I got it.

Hello!

Thanks for the help! May I ask which lubrication you liked better, the Rubiks.com version or the KY liquid?

Thanks again!

Always,

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:50 am 

Silicone is by far the best of everything I've tried.

If there's an ace hardware near you, get the store brand, it's inexpensive, dries very quickly(you don't have to take your cube apart), and is super slippery. The only drawback I've found is that it doesn't last very long at first but now that I think about I haven't lubed my cube in a couple of months now and its still really fast.

Honestly though the cube only matters so much. The other day I had the pleasure to watch Toby Mao blasting out sub 20's with what appeared to be an almost brand new 20th anniversary cube. It even sounded chunky when it turned but he didn't seem to have any issues with it.

good luck -mg

Post subject: Re: Lucricants
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:21 am 

[quote="skeneegee"]Silicone is by far the best of everything I've tried.

Hello!

Thanks for all the help!!!

"you don't have to take your cube apart"

Thus I can just take out one cube, perhaps one of the top edge cubes, and just lightly spray the inside of the cube? It does not matter if the silicone spray gets on the inside mechanism/screws (which holds the 4 centers cubes) of my Studio Cube?

While I do not have an Ace I do have a Home Depot, so I will try there.

"Honestly though the cube only matters so much. The other day I had the pleasure to watch Toby Mao blasting out sub 20's with what appeared to be an almost brand new 20th anniversary cube. It even sounded chunky when it turned but he didn't seem to have any issues with it."

Very nice! I wish I could have seen that!

"good luck"

Thank you! I really appreciate all of the help everyone!!!

happy cubing,

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:11 am 

The silicone spray I bought "Jig-A-Loo" seemed to do a number on the stickers the first time I used but it might have been bad technique on my part.
I doubt I will be going back to the spray.

I think the rubiks lube may last longer than the liquid but they seem similar in effect.

I've had one 25th ano cube that was unuseable because it was too tight (I cut it up to get arched centers*1) but I have annother one that is one of my best cubes.

The smoothest cube I have is white cube that uses the arched centers from the 25th (franken-cube).

At first, unlubed and without the arched centers, pieces would fly out (not like a normal pop) so its better to wait till the arched center whites come back in stock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:51 am 

AndrewSeven wrote:
its better to wait till the arched center whites come back in stock.

Back? Were they ever in stock? The two I got have flat centers. I think someone said he got arched ones and wanted to show pictures but then he never did...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:59 am 

When I got mine, they had flat centers :( :( :(

I wrote to rubiks.com because the pictures on the site clearly show arched centers in the photos. And I said so. I probably never would have ordered them otherwise (I pop flat centers too often).

Even with centers that don't fit perfectly, the white cubies give me the fastest cube.

I was told that it was a problem with the current batch and that they are supposed to have arched centers. Replacements will be provided after some delay.

To quote them (first week of august) :

"We have discovered that the second shipment of White kits were made with the flat center pieces instead of the arched center piece as shown on the site. The picture was taken from the first batch. We have ordered replacement stock but do not expect that shipment in for at least 6-8 weeks. Therefore we will not be able to send you the arched centers until stock arrives. I will keep your request on file and notify you when the stock arrives"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:20 am 

AndrewSeven wrote:
I wrote to rubiks.com because the pictures on the site clearly show arched centers in the photos.

You probably mean this picture, right?
https://secure.rubiks.com/images/lvl4/p ... wkt_l1.jpg

Those arched centers look faked, like someone edited the picture instead of taking a picture of a real cube. Also notice that I referred to the same picture showing flat centers a while ago:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/spe ... sage/16236

Quote:
"We have discovered that the second shipment of White kits were made with the flat center pieces instead of the arched center piece as shown on the site. The picture was taken from the first batch.

I'm sure mine are from the first batch, and they have flat centers.

Has anyone ever gotten them with arched centers? I'm gonna ask on the yahoo group, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:43 am 

StefanPochmann wrote:
You probably mean this picture, right?
Those arched centers look faked, like someone edited the picture instead of taking a picture of a real cube.

After looking again, I'm now convinced it's a fake. Look at the center right next to the "2" and compare it to the corresponding center of the cube in step "1". Obviously they forgot to fake that one. It's pretty sad they're doing something like this :-(

And here's the link to my question in the yahoo group:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/spe ... sage/20059

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:33 pm 

All 3 of the pictures exhibit this doctored appearance. I have no doubt in my mind that they altered an existing flat centered cube.

that said, I don't think that rubiks.com would stand to benefit at all from this little subterfuge unless they intended to make real arched centers. They were maybe hoping nobody would notice and sell off their existing stock quietly I bet. Kind of nonsensical since the market that buys DIY cubes is going to be the diehard hobbyist. So maybe marketing was told one thing while production did another and nobody quite caught on to the faux pas until the first complaints were received. To casual people the difference is virtually meaningless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:02 pm 

When I first wen't back for a close look I at the pictures they looked altered to me. I thought more background or changing the cube from black to white.

Whether the images are as-is or altered doesn't change the fact that the product is clearly shown to have arched centers.

They made no bones about it having the wrong centers, and I didn't need to explain it 4 times either. They seemed to be aware of the problem.

I think they are tying to get rid of the flat centered ones quietly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:09 pm 

Stage 2, U center isn't arched. The rest are.

Maybe it just looks that was to me though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:23 am 

Hello all!

I was wondering if anyone has tried the black vs. white DIY cube from Rubiks.com? Are there any differences?

Also, since we are in mid-September does anyone know if the DIY cubes are now shipping with the arched centers?

Thanks all!

Happy cubing!

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:01 am 

yes, I have both a white and 3 black DIY's. The white I thought might have been good, until I found out it didn't have arched centers. I like the black ones MUCH better, especially with my cubesmith tiles on them. :wink: If you want to speedcube, get a black DIY.

Quinn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:25 pm 

Quinn Lewis wrote:
yes, I have both a white and 3 black DIY's. The white I thought might have been good, until I found out it didn't have arched centers. I like the black ones MUCH better, especially with my cubesmith tiles on them. :wink: If you want to speedcube, get a black DIY.

Quinn

Hello!

Do you think that the white DIY cubes might work as well as the black once the centers are arched again?

Thanks for the sugestions! :-)

Always,

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:10 pm 

Wow that's really strange that they doctored the photo. I actually saved the original version from a couple months ago. You can compare with the current one-- it's the same photo but doctored.

I just received two more white cubes last week and they still have flat centers. I actually prefer these (call me old school!)

One other minor oddity... the first 2 white cubes I got had black center spindles (whereas the normal black cubes have a white spindle). However the two new white cubes came with yellowish-white spindles.

Also, I ordered one of the pre-assembled "blank cube" kits and it also had flat centers. So maybe they are just getting rid of old "flat center" stock.

Here's the original white cube photo:

Attachments:
File comment: Original undoctored version showing flat centers
cubwkt_l1.jpg
cubwkt_l1.jpg [ 53.92 KiB | Viewed 18120 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:14 pm 

Here is the doctored version currently on the site. Note the black spindle!

Attachments:
File comment: Doctored to depict arched centers
cubwkt_l1-d.jpg
cubwkt_l1-d.jpg [ 54.04 KiB | Viewed 18119 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:38 pm 

if you guys are looking for lubricants, anybody ever try pledge?

i know it sounds weird, but it's a great lubricant

-chris joe

btw, the orange works best because it smells so good :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:04 pm 

Given the distictly "floor polish" smell of the Rubiks.com lubricant, it isn't that shocking ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:28 pm 

Can you see your reflection after you use Pledge on the cube? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:36 am 

Might try pledge, as I can never find a decent lube.

I used candle wax on an old cube as I was desperate, but that was still shoddy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:59 am 

Just use silicone spray, its the best and takes a while to wear off. Its what everyone uses, give it a try.

Quinn

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:46 am 

Best place, btw, to get silicon lube is at a bike shop.
The stuff at home depo isn't the right kind, because for one its mainly not for plastic, and other wise a lot of it is dry lube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:49 am 

chris_joe wrote:
if you guys are looking for lubricants, anybody ever try pledge?

btw, the orange works best because it smells so good :lol:

Don't you like the lemony fresh scent at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:13 pm 

Darren Grewe wrote:

Don't you like the lemony fresh scent at all?

LOL i like orange better cause it smells "sweeter", i guess it's just me.

anyways, i have this silicon lubricant and it is VERY gooey. im not sure what it is, but, i found it sitting in the storage room, it's labeled silicon, and it works great. i believe it's treadmill silicon lube.

-chris joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:04 pm 

this is the stuff to get,

CRC silicone spray from ace hardware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:23 pm 

I agree with skeneegee, that is the best I've tried.

Chris

Buy online at http://www.cubesmith.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:01 pm 

I've been using Teflon spray on my speedcube at the moment and it's the fastest cube I've ever played with. Bear in mind I've never used silicone spray though :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:42 pm 

I have the same silicone spray, but my results have been dismal. My best cubes are currently the ones I didn't lube at all!

One of my prepped cubes (siliconed and even sanded a little) is just the absolute pits. It definitely feels like it's been lubed, but not all the way - almost as if I'd lubed it, then licked a lollipop and touched the insides with it a few times. Plus it gets horrifically stuck at the transition between turns, making triggers all but impossible. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:15 am 

Quote:
as if I'd lubed it, then licked a lollipop and touched the insides with it a few times. Plus it gets horrifically stuck at the transition between turns, making triggers all but impossible. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Could you possibly have used too much silicone? As an experiment, try wiping most of it away. You might need only a thin smear, mainly on the curved surfaces, rather than the large, flat areas. The aim is just to get the "contact points" to slip past one another, without gumming together the flat areas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:17 am 

kwickykanny wrote:
One of my prepped cubes (siliconed and even sanded a little) is just the absolute pits. It definitely feels like it's been lubed, but not all the way - almost as if I'd lubed it, then licked a lollipop and touched the insides with it a few times. Plus it gets horrifically stuck at the transition between turns, making triggers all but impossible. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Did you adjust the screws nicely and evenly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:49 am 

Thanks for the suggestions. No screws to adjust since I don't have a studio or DIY cube - incidentally, it looks like the primary sources of such cubes (Ton, Rubiks respectively) are out of stock. Argh!!

Tried removing some of the silicone without much success. I think this is about as good as the cube is going to get. I'll have to consider it my 'practice' cube - a hard-to-turn cube used to strain, er, train my muscles for better speed cubing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:12 pm 

Some of the best lube I've found is 100% silicone "Shock Oil" for RC cars:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX3303&P=7

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:12 pm 

An interesting suggestion. I should have thought about that myself. Good out-of-the-box thinking though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:58 pm 

Thanks,

I can't speedcube for my life but I do know plastics and metals and what lube works best for each. 8-)

Silicone spray has a great advantage in the beginning because the solvent used to suspend the silicone is usually acetone. This will soften the plastic and allow any burrs or mold flashing to be "moved" out of the way. The advantage is that you're not removing plastic and possibly loostening the fit but merely re-positioning it where it's out of the way.

Once a cube is broken in with the silicone spray and repeated twisting the silicone oil listed above is a great way to maintain a cube.

Take Care,

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:07 pm 

I've tried a few things. This summer I dug up an old bottle of speed cream from my cabin.

It seems really good, I gues that it is still the same product, available in a skate shop near you.

http://360skate.com/pd_pwll_speed_cream.cfm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:50 pm 

I noticed this comes in different weights. Do you recommend the 10-weight or would a heavier weight be better?

Also, how do you apply it? The kind I saw did not have a spray nozzle.

Chris

Mer wrote:
Some of the best lube I've found is 100% silicone "Shock Oil" for RC cars:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX3303&P=7

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:56 pm 

Get the 10 weight.

I put it in a little "needle applicator" bottle and apply it drop by drop. It's not a spray application. A little goes a long way.

Eric

Like this:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1200&title=NEEDLE+OILER+BOTTLES

Post subject: Shock Oil
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:58 am 

Well I ended up going with the heavier 80 weight, and I like it. It drips out like honey, but it's great on the cube. Not too gummy or anything. Thanks for the recommendation. This stuff is safer to handle than silicone spray cans, and cheaper too.

Chris

Mer wrote:
Get the 10 weight.

I put it in a little "needle applicator" bottle and apply it drop by drop. It's not a spray application. A little goes a long way.

Eric

Like this:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1200&title=NEEDLE+OILER+BOTTLES

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:01 am 

I'm giong to pick up some 100 weight this weekend and try it.

My 2 cube kits should be arriving any day now so they'll be the first victims. :twisted:

Eric