Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wrong Crazy 3x3x3 plus
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:04 pm 

Hi all.
Last month I got my crazy 3x3x3 plus Jupiter cube in from Mefferts and I have been having a hard time solving it. So I came here for some hints and then got really confused. As it turns out my Jupiter cube is really a Mercury cube with the yellow face as the "1" (moving) face and all other faces stationary. Has this happened to anyone else? :(
Oh the sticker on the white center says Jupiter.

Post subject: Re: Wrong Crazy 3x3x3 plus
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:04 am 

Last edited by bish on Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 pm 

LOL but now what. I want a Jupiter cube but I'm afraid Meffert will send another Mercury. :roll: Maybe I should enclose a note with the order and ask for a Mercury sticker for the cube I have?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:24 am 

Since these are all assembled by Mf8, I think you should send Meffert's an email explaining the problem. He may have others like it and not know.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:05 am 

Hello isearch12,

I think you have it sorted that you got the wrong cube, but if I were you, for the first Crazy Planet cube, Mercury would be the easier cube IMO. If that's what you want (the easier one). If you just want help solving it I will help you through it (post hints, answer questions, or just give a solution- whatever you want). The stickers fall off with use anyway so I'd be less concerned about that. There is a good discussion

in this thread: How to solve Dayan's Crazy 3x3x3 ?

I have not posted about Mercury because the restricted orbits make inside edge placement almost redundant (they almost solve themselves), and the rest of the solution is very similar to the simpler parts of the other planets. :wink: If I were you I'd get the Jupiter next and then you will be able to build any planet you like, they are a very quick and easy change over.

Warning: Crazy Planet cubes are VERY addictive.

Cheers,
Burgo. :D

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:25 am 

Burgo wrote:
...The stickers fall off with use anyway so I'd be less concerned about that.
The Meffert's version is the coloured plastic version with no stickers at all. It is not unusual that a cube does not follow the "specification". Finding a solution yourself has no problem with different colour schemes. Sharing hints is a bit different. You have to communicate a clear description of stationary (0) and moving (1) faces related to the usual colour scheme.
Burgo wrote:
There is a good discussion

in this thread: How to solve Dayan's Crazy 3x3x3 ?
Here is the link.
Burgo wrote:

I have not posted about Mercury because the restricted orbits make inside edge placement almost redundant (they almost solve themselves), and the rest of the solution is very similar to the simpler parts of the other planets. :wink: If I were you I'd get the Jupiter next and then you will be able to build any planet you like, they are a very quick and easy change over.

Warning: Crazy Planet cubes are VERY addictive.

Cheers,
Burgo. :D
Mercury was my first planet and I have not found it easy to solve. I have yet to find out, why Burgo thinks it is easier than Jupiter. :) In any case, the suggestion of getting Jupiter as a complementary Crazy 3x3x3 is good. Otherwise, you will certainly get a replacement from Meffert's.

Konrad

EDIT:
bish wrote:
...(on my Jupiter cube, only white face is not stationary), ...
Probably, this is a typo? I believe, you wanted to say "is stationary"?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:28 pm 

Konrad wrote:
Burgo wrote:
...The stickers fall off with use anyway so I'd be less concerned about that.
The Meffert's version is the coloured plastic version with no stickers at all.

I was talking about the centre sticker with the planet on it (I have both). Mine on the Meffert's one is peeling off after about 2 months use. I'm not complaining, it's just happening, that's all.

Also Konrad, I did not know you thought that the Mercury was a little harder? I will set the SmaZ to Mercury and post my method for it (I have an unexpected day off work). Also, I will write a clear reason for my grading of difficulty. But I need time to try the other methods (other than my own).

Burgo.
EDIT, Just got called in to work! :lol:

1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:18 pm 

Hi all.
I was surprised to see all the post to this thread when I logged on. Well I'm going to order the Jupiter cube again after I contact Meffert. I do not mind having the Mercury cube and its a great excuse to get just one more cube. :) I'm on my way to solving it but may take you guys up on help offer if needed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:37 am 

No problem,

But Konrad is right, I would tripple check that you know which cube you have before you order the next one. Just to be sure I will try another explanation:

Jupiter is the one that works the most like a normal cube (5 faces turn with the circle locked onto the face `as if it was` a normal cube face). This is called bandaged (The pieces are bandaged together). 1 or +

Mercury is the one that turns with 5 faces that spin around the outside of the stationary circle in the middle. This is called unbandaged (The circle is not connected to the outside of the face). 0 or x

Just be certain before you order the next one, that's all.
Cheers,
Burgo.