Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gelatin Brain's Applet Problem
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:01 pm 

I am having a problem with the Gelatin Brain's Applet. I have downloaded (i think it was) that flash plugin thingy and it always worked before but now the 2 boxes that show the puzzle are blank. Any solutions?

Post subject: Re: Gelatin Brain's Applet Problem
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:58 pm 

I've been having a similar problem for some time now and I've try to get it to load on for different computers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:38 am 

cubeguy314 wrote:
I am having a problem with the Gelatin Brain's Applet. I have downloaded (i think it was) that flash plugin thingy and it always worked before but now the 2 boxes that show the puzzle are blank. Any solutions?

Do you mean the applet ceased to work after downloading Flash? It is not logic at all. My applet has no business with Flash. You must have updated the JAVA runtime too at some point. Maybe your JAVA control panel setting permits automatic updating.

Fisrt thing you should do in case of any trouble with my applet is test this applet and see what the JAVA console says.

Very probably this is due to the new JAVA security policy. You can see the solution here.
This causes another security side effect, but I have no solution to this yet.

Win32 Executable(Download)
troubleshooting

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:28 am 

I tried the test app and it worked just fine, but when I tried disable verification settings nothing was changed. I just updated java today and still nothing is budging. When the screen loads I can go into the file and pick a different puzzle but none of them work either. :( any ideas as to what I can do to get this running once again

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:02 am 

Like boublez, I've had problems for a while. I have no idea what's wrong though as I think I've downloaded everything that's necessary. :?

Alex

YouTube Account: Cubiksrube113

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:30 pm 

Hi GB
I have no idea how java and JOGL and all those things work, and this post probably won't be of any use to you.

I have a new laptop, 64-bit windows 7, and the applet hasn't worked since the beginning. It worked fine on my old laptop. On my new one, when I click on a puzzle, I go to the page but where the applet should be there is a little red x in the upper left corner.

Another computer on which I did most of my solves doesn't run it either, which is even stranger. On this computer, you can see the java logo with the thing around it spinning, what is does when the applet is loading, but when it disappears the puzzle doesn't appear.

On my laptop I tried brandons way of 'fixing' it, by altering the security settings. I didn't change anything after that and the next day it didn't work anymore, and now it doesn't matter what my settings are.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:53 pm 

Sjoerd wrote:
I have a new laptop, 64-bit windows 7, and the applet hasn't worked since the beginning. It worked fine on my old laptop. On my new one, when I click on a puzzle, I go to the page but where the applet should be there is a little red x in the upper left corner.
Hey Sjoerd, this sounds like there is a version miss-match between the IE you are using and Java. 64bit Windows 7 ships with both a 32bit IE and a 64bit IE.

Sun / Oracle has a page that discusses the difference here: http://java.com/en/download/faq/java_win64bit.xml

Once you have Java working the JOGL test should work. To get GB's applet working you have to change this security setting. As Gelatinbrain has pointed out, that opens up a pretty significant security hole. You should set that only for using the applet and then unset it for normal web browsing.

Last edited by Brandon Enright on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:11 pm 

Well that was easy :lol: Turns out I've been using the wrong browser the whole time!

Yay for algorithm bar!!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:26 pm 

What is the applet doing that needs security settings changed for anyways? It seems like a pretty straight forward app. Is it just so it can send scores back?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:45 pm 

GuiltyBystander wrote:
What is the applet doing that needs security settings changed for anyways? It seems like a pretty straight forward app. Is it just so it can send scores back?

This is due to Java's new security policy form SE6. According to this policy, mixing signed and unsigned code is potentially dangerous. See this for details.
In my case, my code is unsigned. I don't have to sign because I have no need to access to my users' local resources. But JOGL is signed by Sun Micro Systems. JOGL is Sun's project but not officially a part of JAVA and it includes native codes.

In my view, mixed code is dangerous only if there's a security hole in the signed part. But this is an extremely stupid measure. Instead of guaranteeing the security, they just want to throw the responsibility to each user...

troubleshooting

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:50 pm 

I have a idea. Why don't you(Gelatin Brain) list of all the minimal requirements that we need to play online with your puzzles somewhere on your website. Like what software does. I'd love to be able to play with the puzzles on your website as soon as possible please.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:18 am 

Darren Grewe wrote:
I have a idea. Why don't you(Gelatin Brain) list of all the minimal requirements that we need to play online with your puzzles somewhere on your website. Like what software does. I'd love to be able to play with the puzzles on your website as soon as possible please.
The minimal software is that you need a web browser (which you obviously already have) and Java installed: http://www.java.com.

You can test your Java install (plus some other stuff) here. If you see Gears spinning then Gelatinbrain's applet should work for you. If you do not see Gears spinning, you probably don't have Java (or the correct version of Java) installed. If that is the case, see this post.

If the applet does not work for you, you need to follow these instructions. You can get to that screen by going to the Java control panel. Please be aware of the security risk/implications of that Java setting.

Darren Grewe wrote:
I also have another question. Do you have hidden puzzles on your website? If you do why do you do that and how do you get to play and see them.
Hidden puzzles are just puzzles that aren't linked directly off of the Gelatinbrain website. The applet has a File menu in the upper-left corner that will allow you to access any of the puzzles, including the ones that aren't linked.

Last edited by Brandon Enright on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:41 am 

Thanks answering all of my questions. I am a little disappointed that he doesn't have post above on his website.

I don't see any gears. :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:46 pm 

Darren, I didn't answer you because I took your post as a simple suggestion and not a question. I don't post just to say "Good idea, thank you!".

I don't know exactly what is the minimal requirements(what OS, what version of what browser,what version of JAVA,how much memory,etc) for my applet.
As I'm using a very old JAVA compiler(4.2.15), any recent JAVA implementation should be OK. But some of recent troubles are apparently caused by JAVA update.
Note that if JAVA and the operating system don't respect the backward compatibility, talking about minimum requirements is meaningless.

As hidden puzzles, I don't hide anything deliberately. It just happens when someone discovers a new puzzle before I announce. It's inevitable since the time I can spend for this work is fragmented (10 minutes here, 20 minutes there...).

Darren Grewe wrote:
Thanks answering all of my questions. I am a little disappointed that he doesn't have post above on his website.

I don't see any gears. :cry:

Is this a monologue or a question?
If you are just talking alone it's OK with me. But if you want a help, please be more specific.
As for general troubleshooting, Brandon summarized very well above. Please read his post and if your case doesn't fall into any of them, describe your problem in details(what you did, what message shows your computer, etc).
Then maybe I can help you. Please note also that no one is obliged to answer your question. It all depends on the way you present your case, and on my mood too :? .

troubleshooting

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:59 pm 

I made an installer for executable jar.

Paste following lines at the end of ".java.policy" file in your home directory.
Code:
grant codeBase "http://users.skynet.be/gelatinbrain/Applets/Magic%20Polyhedra/*" {
   permission java.io.FilePermission "${user.home}/Magic Polyhedra" , "read,write,delete";
   permission java.io.FilePermission "${user.home}/Magic Polyhedra/*" , "read,write,delete";
   permission java.io.FilePermission "${user.home}/Magic Polyhedra/images/*" , "read,write,delete";
   permission java.util.PropertyPermission "user.home", "read";
   permission java.util.PropertyPermission "user.dir", "read";
};

Then go to here and click the"start" button.
If you don't know the location of your home directory, then download this and click it.

The installer makes a folder "Magic Polyhedra" in your home directory and download all necessary files there.
The name of the executable file is "polyhedra.jar".

In the future I will replace the applet by this new version. The applet is already an obsolete technology. It has too many problems...

troubleshooting

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:15 pm 

Hi Gelatinbrain, this did not work for me (Linux 2.6.36; x86_64; Java 1.6.0_22). I created the .java.policy file which according to documentation correctly goes in $HOME/ rather than in $HOME/.java/

The installer applet on your page doesn't work but it doesn't give me any output. Sun/Oracle doesn't make a Java Console browser plugin available for Linux so I can't tell you what is on the console.

When I run your jar file locally I get:

Code:
$ java -jar installer.jar
CInstaller start0
CHomeDirectoryPanel:JFileChooser end true
user.home=/home/bmenrigh
user.dir=/home/bmenrigh
CHttpThread start
newDir :/home
newFile:/home/bmenrigh
/home/bmenrigh/Magic Polyhedra:false
isFile:false
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 7
   at java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1934)
   at installer.CMainPanel.makeNativePostfix(CMainPanel.java:268)
   at installer.CMainPanel.actionPerformed(CMainPanel.java:137)
   at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1995)
   at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2318)
   at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:387)
   at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:242)
   at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:236)
   at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6267)
   at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3267)
   at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6032)
   at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2041)
   at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4630)
   at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2099)
   at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4460)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4577)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4238)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4168)
   at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2085)
   at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2478)
   at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4460)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:599)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:174)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:169)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:161)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)

I tried manually creating $HOME/Magic\ Polyhedra but that didn't seem to have any effect. It does change "/home/bmenrigh/Magic Polyhedra:false" to "/home/bmenrigh/Magic Polyhedra:true" though.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:38 pm 

Hi gelatinbrain,
I have downlaoded and executed the installer.jar.
It installed the folder and contents, 5294634 bytes. At the end of the installation I got a warning "IO Exception", wich was to answer with yes and no ???
I executed the polyhedra.jar and it worked, but I got no images in the image-menus.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:33 pm 

gelatinbrain wrote:
Paste following lines at the end of ".java.policy" file in your home directory.
Code:
grant codeBase "http://users.skynet.be/gelatinbrain/Applets/Magic%20Polyhedra/*" {
   permission java.io.FilePermission "${user.home}/Magic Polyhedra" , "read,write,delete";
   permission java.io.FilePermission "${user.home}/Magic Polyhedra/*" , "read,write,delete";
   permission java.io.FilePermission "${user.home}/Magic Polyhedra/images/*" , "read,write,delete";
   permission java.util.PropertyPermission "user.home", "read";
   permission java.util.PropertyPermission "user.dir", "read";
};
Thanks Gelatinbrain, it works fine for me (Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with the latest Java installed). One thing that confused me at first is that Windows does not allow me to directly edit my java.policy file. In case this helps anyone else, I right-clicked on Java\jre6\bin\policytool.exe and clicked Run as Administrator, then opened the file from Policy Tool. Don't include the quote marks when copying the CodeBase and Targets, add the five permissions separately, and remember to click File: Save at the end after clicking Done for the last time! Like Stefan, I received the warning IOException: java.util.zip. ZipException: error in opening zip file; I clicked Yes and the installation completed successfully. I do see the puzzle images from the File menu.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:31 pm 

Thanks, GB. It works on my PC with winxp. I didn't find the way to change the java policy so I skipped that step. But eventually it worked. Like Stefan and Julian, I got the IOException warning message. I clicked yes. As Stefan said, there was no thumbnail images in the File menu. But this problem can be solved as follows:

I notice that after the automatic installation, there was a file named images.zip and a directory named images. However, the directory was empty. So I manually unzip images.zip into the empty directory. The content is nothing but the thumbnail images. Then I start polyhedra.jar and I can see the thumbnails. I don't know if the failed unzipping is because I skipped changing the java policy.

edit: I am trying it on my mac. This time I found the way to change java policy. But the installer doesn't work. It seems like the reason is, the installer cannot find this file:

http://users.skynet.be/gelatinbrain/Applets/Magic Polyhedra/joglx/gluegen-rt-natives-macosx-universal-i586.jar

It has downloaded several files from your site until it reaches this file. Is there such a file and is it accessible?

-- schuma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:46 pm 

Thank you guys for testing.
I fixed several glitches, so I hope everythink is OK now.

If the installation was successfully done,
you will see in the "$HOME/Magic Polyhedra" folder following files and other platform-dependent files.
Code:
images <dir>
gluegen-rt.jar
jogl.all.jar
jogl.core.jar
jogl.util.jar
nativewindow.all.jar
nativewindow.core.jar
polyhedra.jar

To launch the application click "polyhedra.jar".
If it dosen't work, type "java -jar polyhedra.jar debug=true" on the command prompt, and post the error messages.

If you are using an old computer, it's possible that your os/architecture is no longer supported.
See the list of supported combinations under the installer applet.

troubleshooting

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:00 am 

GB, thank you for debugging. The installation on my macbook is now successful!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:09 pm 

Hi Gelatinbrain, I finally had a chance to test you installer again and I'm pleased to report the install worked very smoothly :D.

Unfortunately I can't just run "java -jar polyhedra.jar" because the native libraries need to be loaded from "." and of course, "." isn't in my path.

So to run the jar, I have to do:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. java -jar polyhedra.jar

Which works like a charm.

For the sake of the people Googling this problem, this is what the error looks like if you don't set your library path:
Code:
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no nativewindow_jvm in java.library.path
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1734)
   at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:823)
   at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1028)
   at com.sun.nativewindow.impl.NativeLibLoaderBase.loadLibraryInternal(NativeLibLoaderBase.java:199)
   at com.sun.nativewindow.impl.NativeLibLoaderBase.access$000(NativeLibLoaderBase.java:50)
   at com.sun.nativewindow.impl.NativeLibLoaderBase$DefaultAction.loadLibrary(NativeLibLoaderBase.java:88)
   at com.sun.nativewindow.impl.NativeLibLoaderBase.loadLibrary(NativeLibLoaderBase.java:126)
   at com.sun.nativewindow.impl.NativeLibLoaderBase$1.run(NativeLibLoaderBase.java:133)
   at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
   at com.sun.nativewindow.impl.NativeLibLoaderBase.loadNativeWindow(NativeLibLoaderBase.java:131)
   at com.sun.nativewindow.impl.jvm.JVMUtil.<clinit>(JVMUtil.java:53)
   at javax.media.opengl.GLProfile.<clinit>(GLProfile.java:625)
   at javax.media.opengl.awt.GLCanvas.<clinit>(GLCanvas.java:78)
   at jzzz.CMainPanel3D.<init>(CMainPanel3D.java:59)
   at jzzz.CTopFrame.<init>(CTopFrame.java:33)
   at jzzz.CMainFrame$CRunnable.run(CMainFrame.java:80)
   at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:597)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:174)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:169)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:161)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)

So if I want to stay up-to-date with your latest puzzle I should be able to grab polyhedra.jar periodically, right? What about the images? Is there an easy way to stay in sync with your latest images? I guess I could write a wget script to only pull down the gifs on your site.

Thanks so much for continuing to support your code across all of our strange computers!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:40 pm 

Yesterday I successfully update the polyhedra.jar file from this address.

http://users.skynet.be/gelatinbrain/App ... yhedra.jar

For images I don't have a good solution. I manually found some new thumbnail images and put them into the images folder. The new images I downloaded are:

octa_e10.gif
octa_e6.gif
hexa_fv24, fv25
icosa_f15, f16
dodeca_e17, e18...

They are just the images for the first page of gelatinbrain's page.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 pm 

Thank you for testing, Brandon.
bmenrigh wrote:
So if I want to stay up-to-date with your latest puzzle I should be able to grab polyhedra.jar periodically, right?

Yes, the same "polyhedra.jar" is called by the online applet.

I don't know how to set the library path from the java code.
The following code is supposed to do so. But apparently the class loader is ignoring this.
Code:
String libpath = System.getProperty("java.library.path");
if(libpath ==null)libpath="";
else libpath += System.getProperty("path.separator");
libpath += ".";
System.setProperty("java.library.path",libpath);
System.err.println("java.library.path = "+System.getProperty("java.library.path"));

For an average user, setting environment variables is a bit too embarassing. Ideally the application should be launched just by clicking an icon.
Do you think it's possible?
I'm afraid it depends on what desktop app you are using.
There are too many different desktops and window managers for Linux. :?

Images are stored in images.zip.
I will update it as frequently as possible. If it is not up to date, schuma's method is the only solution. Anyway you can choose a menu item with or without images. :)

troubleshooting

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:14 pm 

To keep a mirror of all of the gif files, you can run:

$ wget -r -nc -nd -A '.gif' 'http://users.skynet.be/gelatinbrain/Applets/Magic%20Polyhedra/ranking.htm'

That grabs all of the gif files linked from the rankings page. If schuma hasn't yet solved a puzzle that is linked from the main page then it won't be in the rankings and you'll want to substitute the front page URL instead.

I'm sure there is a Windows build of wget out there somewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:06 pm 

bmenrigh wrote:
I'm sure there is a Windows build of wget out there somewhere.
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/wget.htm
That whole site has a lot of converted linux commands. I really recommend it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:05 pm 

How do you get the algorithm bar? I downloaded the Windows app but I don't see any bar people are talking about. Help!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:32 am 

77mouser wrote:
How do you get the algorithm bar? I downloaded the Windows app but I don't see any bar people are talking about. Help!

This function is only for the java version so far, sorry.

troubleshooting

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:18 pm 

I haven't had any trouble with the Applet for several months, but at this time I'm not able to use it at all. All I get is a blank screen and possibly a Java icon. I'm not good with computers in any way, so I'm not sure how to proceed to fix this. Also I've read all the posts in this thread, but I didn't get anything useful from it as I don't understand most of it. I have cleared both the browser and Java cache and I also checked that I have the newest version of Java installed. I don't know what more do to.

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:53 pm 

Hey Katja, did you set the permissions as described in this post?

Besides clearing the Java and browser cache, there is a JNLP applet cache named '.jnlp-applet' located in your home directory.

If you are on a Windows XP box that would be something like c:\documents and settings\youruser\.jnlp-applet

If you are on a Vista or Win7 computer that would be something like c:\users\youruser\.jnlp-applet

Close out of all browser windows and then delete the whole .jnlp-applet directory.

Also, if you are on a 64bit machine you could have a Java version miss-match with your browser. You'll have to provide more information about your computer. Does the JOGL test work for you?

For what it's worth, I think you should install the jar locally as describe by Gelatinbrain. Then you don't have to worry about the browser or the applet launcher giving you trouble.

Last edited by Brandon Enright on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:01 pm 

Hi Brandon,

I did change the Java settings, but it didn't change anything. As to the JNLP files I'm not able to find them at all. I'm on a Mac though, and haven't gotten fully used to it yet. I'm able to locate the Home Directory but from there on I'm lost :lol:

When I try to open the JOGL test all I get is "The page you are looking for does not exist".

Also, if it helps the specifications of my Mac is: Mac OS X version 10.6.6.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:15 am 

Katja wrote:
Hi Brandon,

I did change the Java settings, but it didn't change anything. As to the JNLP files I'm not able to find them at all. I'm on a Mac though, and haven't gotten fully used to it yet. I'm able to locate the Home Directory but from there on I'm lost :lol:

When I try to open the JOGL test all I get is "The page you are looking for does not exist".

Also, if it helps the specifications of my Mac is: Mac OS X version 10.6.6.
Hey Katja, you're right, they changed the applet test location. How annoying. I have edited all of my posts in this thread to point to the current location.

I suspect the home folder that you think you've found on your Mac is not the $HOME folder. You'll have to run the "Terminal" application which I think is in "Utilities". That should put you in your home folder. Then do an "ls -la" which should list a bunch of things. One of them should be ".jnlp-applet/". If you find it, you'll want to do an "rm -ri jnlp-applet/". It is going to ask if you want to do that. Double check that it looks correct before you hit 'y'.

For what it's worth, on my Linux box, the only way to adjust the applet security settings is to edit $HOME/.java/deployment/deployment.properties.

I have to add "deployment.security.mixcode=DISABLE".

Last edited by Brandon Enright on Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:35 am 

bmenrigh wrote:
I have edited all of my posts in this thread to point to the current location.
Thank you. I ran it and it actually worked. Also I followed your steps on how to delete the JNLP files and they're gone. Sadly, the actual applet is still not working. This is starting to frustrate me a bit; there's so many puzzles I'd like to play with before I have to start uni.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:57 am 

Katja wrote:
bmenrigh wrote:
Thank you. I ran it and it actually worked. Also I followed your steps on how to delete the JNLP files and they're gone. Sadly, the actual applet is still not working. This is starting to frustrate me a bit; there's so many puzzles I'd like to play with before I have to start uni.
That's unfortunate. I'd highly recommend following Gelatinbrain's steps to install the jar locally. That's basically guaranteed to work.

BTW, congrats on your move to Australia, I hope that works out well for you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:46 pm 

Katja wrote:
bmenrigh wrote:
Thank you. I ran it and it actually worked. Also I followed your steps on how to delete the JNLP files and they're gone. Sadly, the actual applet is still not working.

Just to confirm, do you mean the JOGL demo works while my applet doesn't, right?
If both fail in the same manner, it's apparently due to the security setting, but otherwise, maybe the cause is elsewhere.
I'm still at work, I will take a look later this evening. We are still in the same time zone, I suppose...

troubleshooting

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:38 pm 

gelatinbrain wrote:
Just to confirm, do you mean the JOGL demo works while my applet doesn't, right?
If both fail in the same manner, it's apparently due to the security setting, but otherwise, maybe the cause is elsewhere.
Yes, the JOGL demo works perfectly. I also found that a bit strange.

Also I tried installing the jar locally, as Brandon suggested. Once again, too stupid when it comes to computers :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:08 pm 

Katja, I successfully installed the local jar version on my Macbook, running Mac OS X 10.5. There are two trickly things during installation.

1. On mac os x, the java policy file is somewhere else. I basically followed the instruction here:

http://serialio.com/support/OSX/Termlet ... cyFile.php

You need to locate the file, unlock it and then modify it.

2. When I ran installer.jar, I got an empty window. (I think this is a bug.) Then I dragged the bottom right corner to resize the window. Then the window showed the content that was supposed to be shown, including the "install" button.

I hope you can get yours installed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:37 pm 

The policy file is only for the applet installer. You don't have to modify it to launch the downloaded jar file.

Click here to download the installer.
Once downloaded, you can launch it just by clicking from the finder. But to see error messages, you have to launch it from a terminal window as follows:
1. Open a terminal window.
2. Move to the folder(by cd command) where the installer is downloaded.
3. Type "java -jar installer.jar -debug true"
4. You will see the installer window pop up.
your home directory is shown at the 2nd line from the bottom.
5. Click "Start Installation" button.
If everything is OK, you will see "success" message pop up.
In case of failure, send me the messages you see on the terminal window and the installer window.

Note that, unlike the applet, the executable jar is not protected.
I mean if someone wanted to spread a virus or spy on your computer via jar, it's technically possible.
I recommend to do not execute them as administrator.

troubleshooting

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:25 am 

Katja, we'd better still discuss here. Because I know almost nothing about MacOS. I hope others too can help us.

To change your current directory, you have to type after "cd" the path of the directory where you downloaded the installer file.
if you don't know where it is downloaded, then type :
find / -name installer.jar -print
you will see something like "/blablablabla...../installer.jar".
The "/blablablabla....." is the location of the installer file.
Then type :
cd /blablablabla.....
java -jar installer.jar debug=true

troubleshooting

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:42 pm 

I have some great news; I have successfully installed the jar locally and the applet is working once again :D

I was able to follow Gelatinbrain's steps (two posts above), and here's a very specific "outline" in case others experience the same problem later.

How I installed the jar locally on my Mac OS:

1. I downloaded the installer and placed the file on the desktop.
2. I opened the Terminal window, accessible through applications --> utilities.
3. I typed "cd desktop".
4. Then I typed "java -jar installer.jar -debug true"
5. The installer window popped up and I had to re-size it to see the Install Button.
6. Press Install

When a "Success" message appears the installation is complete.

Lastly, I'd like to thank Gelatinbrain, Brandon and schuma for all your help; I really appreciate it! :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:40 am 

Katja wrote:
I have some great news; I have successfully installed the jar locally and the applet is working once again :D

Are you running the applet and not the downloaded version? In this case, your success has nothing to do with your last operations. Anyway it's a good news. Congrats Katja!

And now it's my turn to have a problem. :?
My computer's frozen during the installation of Linux and the Windows part no longer boots. :lol:
I think I can recover it but it will take a while, and in worst case, the scores of last few days would be lost, and until the recovery, the socreboard will not update. I recommend you to keep your certificates somewhere.

troubleshooting

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:16 am 

gelatinbrain wrote:
Are you running the applet and not the downloaded version? In this case, your success has nothing to do with your last operations.
I'm running the applet. And really? That had nothing to do with it working again? Oh well, as long as it's working and I'm able to solve puzzles again, I don't really care! :D

I'm sorry to hear about your computer freezing, but as far as I can tell there haven't been a lot of solves submitted the past couple of days. However, I did solve two puzzles (1.1.16 and 1.1.26) today and I did screen shot the certificate etc. Just let us know once it's all up and running. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:20 pm 

gelatinbrain wrote:
My computer's frozen during the installation of Linux and the Windows part no longer boots. :lol:
I think I can recover it but it will take a while, and in worst case, the scores of last few days would be lost, and until the recovery, the socreboard will not update. I recommend you to keep your certificates somewhere.
That's terrible :? Luckily, unless the Linux installer did something awful to you partition table or wiped out your windows partitions, this in quite easy to recover from. If you were using XP then just boot off of an XP CD and into the recovery console. Once there, you should be able to do a "fixmbr" and then "fixboot" and that should replace the MBR from grub back to the Windows loader and make sure that your boot.ini file is still correct.

If this doesn't work there is a chance major damage has been done. If you get to the point where you think all is lost, PM me, I'd be happy to help with the more drastic things like reconstructing your partition table by hand or extracting out your NTFS volume and recovering files.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:37 pm 

gelatinbrain wrote:

Oh what a bad news. It means in the next a few days, there is definitely no new puzzles. Hope you can recover your computer soon.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:46 pm 

That sucks, I did a few solves yesterday and didn't save the certificates. Luckily I did save the ones for the 3 solves I did today.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:40 pm 

My computer has recovered. :lol:Don't worry, none of your data is lost. Thank you Brandon!

troubleshooting

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:46 pm 

GelatinBrain's applet does not load.

Upon attempting to load the gear demo I get the following error: Class not found: demos.applets.GearsApplet.

No change to either the gear demo nor gb's app when I change security settings.

Ran both tests in Google Chrome and IE.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:22 am 

The applet is not working again for me. But I did successfully install the jar locally, which means I'll be able to use the downloaded version right? Then how do I launch it? Either of the files in the photo doesn't open it:
Attachment:
Skjermbilde 2011-03-01 kl. 17.18.34.png
Skjermbilde 2011-03-01 kl. 17.18.34.png [ 300.15 KiB | Viewed 11012 times ]
And yes, I have a picture of a Platypus as my desktop photo :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:26 am 

Hi Noah,

I too get the "class not found" error on the Gears applet when I haven't adjusted the security settings. Are you sure you set mixed code to disabled? Also, the change doesn't take effect until you completely close out of all browser windows.

Can you verify that you've downgraded your security setting, totally cosed out of all browser windows, and then re-tested? If the gears applet still doesn't work then I'll be at a loss. You'll probably have to wipe out all the various Java caches, re-install Java, etc.

It's really unfortunate that the end-user Java experience has always been so poor :?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:33 am 

Katja wrote:
The applet is not working again for me. But I did successfully install the jar locally, which means I'll be able to use the downloaded version right? Then how do I launch it? Either of the files in the photo doesn't open it:
Attachment:
Skjermbilde 2011-03-01 kl. 17.18.34.png
And yes, I have a picture of a Platypus as my desktop photo :lol:
Hi Katja,

I know next to nothing about Mac OS X other than fundamentally the kernel is BSD and the user-land is mostly POSIX.

Unless a .jar file is associated with the Java binary running it will be a bit difficult.

You will need to open the "Terminal" application and change to whatever directory the jar was installed to (use "cd").

Once there, you need to do java -jar polyhedra.jar. If that gives you a very long strange error it means the loader can't find the libraries because "." isn't in the path.

To resolve, you probably want to run:

DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=. java -jar polyhedra.jar

OS X is supposed to ship with a Jar launcher so all you need to do is double-click but if that isn't working I suspect the library path is the issue.