Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: what makes an auction good/successful?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:27 pm 

Since I recently started selling myself, I've been wondering what makes a good auction. For example, if you search for completed auctions in UK for "(rubik, rubic, rubiks, rubix, rubics) magic" then you can see that sometimes a normal old black Magic sells for over 20 pounds and sometimes only for as low as 2 pounds.

Particularly, compare these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5991885380
Sold for 2 pounds, only 1 bid.
Just the puzzle.
No gallery picture, offered UK only.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5991524537
Sold for 5 pounds, only 1 bid.
Includes box and instructions.
Did have a gallery picture, offered worldwide.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5991241751
Sold for 21 pounds, 12 bids from 7 different persons.
Just the puzzle.
Did have gallery picture, offered worldwide.

Gallery picture and a good title obviously help people find it in the first place. But here already I'm wondering, for example I really don't want to write "Rubik's" several times with different typos.

Or is it maybe a lot about luck?

Post subject: Re: what makes an auction good/successful?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:11 pm 

StefanPochmann wrote:
For example, if you search for completed auctions in UK for "(rubik, rubic, rubiks, rubix, rubics) magic" then you can see that sometimes a normal old black Magic sells for over 20 pounds and sometimes only for as low as 2 pounds.

Was it wise to look there? The British are a rum lot.
Quote:
I really don't want to write "Rubik's" several times with different typos.

It's not a big sample, of course, but let's see...

The seller who got the most for his puzzle has worked hard at it and understands the buyer's psychology: He's included some popular misspellings of "Rubik's" (it isn't just English names that cause problems), he's called it a "Cube" (the only thing we'd normally associate with Rubik) and, knowing the reader's affection for the past, he has also used the adjective "Retro" (though, sadly, 1986 is still post-Imperial for us). Note that the title also contains some SHOUTING, which helps when you need to get someone's attention. The description itself is rather long and alleges that the puzzle is "rare and sought after" (we won't have done our research) and that solving it will lead to "a great feeling of satisfaction" (we'd better give that a shot, then).

On the other hand, the 2 sellers who merely gave concise and accurate descriptions of what they were selling got almost nothing for their trouble.
But I don't feel sorry for them. They simply didn't try hard enough. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:14 pm 

The first two are in the same game; they are selling a known product to people who are familiar with it.

The third is in a different one; he is selling a product that the buyer has never seen. He shares his personal excitement about it with everybody. To him, it probably really is "Rare and sought after".

He has annother (silver master in box) with almost the same description, will it sell for twice as much 5 times?

Stefan:
You should leverage your speedcubing to increase the value of cubes.
It may seem questionable, but you (or any know speed solver) could probably drive up the price just by taking out of the box and solving a few times. Write down the times and put them in the details...

For a Magic (I'm not good at b-s):
I try to speed solve a wide variety of puzzles and this is without a doubt one of my fastest. I've checked this one out and its good, I've solved it x.x seconds.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:37 pm 

StefanPochmann wrote:
Since I recently started selling myself...

How much are you going for? 8-)

DJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:24 pm 

[quote="AndrewSeven"] (I'm not good at b-s):
quote]

LOL! I laughed at that for a long time xD. It's true though, alot of auctions ARE bs rofl. Very nice~

*same site*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:56 am 

For me, the main thing is 'right time, right place'.

I've also noticed it's quite common for new members to Ebay to bid high on an item they want, because they have little experience of availability.

I generally cover the same topics when describing an item, with mixed results, offering a general description but offering potential bidders freedom to contact me if additional information is required. If a seller comes across friendly and open, that helps.

I won Stefans 'Politoys Rubik's', my bidding confidence was boosted because of his membership on this forum.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:16 am 

David J wrote:
StefanPochmann wrote:
Since I recently started selling myself...

How much are you going for? 8-)

Well, you're probably not rich enough to pay for the whole thing, but one of my next auctions will show my left hand on a picture and everybody knows that you always get everything in the pictures...

Stefan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:22 am 

Well, I guess in my auctions I also sound a bit excited about the puzzles but in the title I really don't want to write "Rubix Cube" if I let's say sell a Clock. That's just plain wrong. I guess I'll never be rich :-(. Hmm, maybe I could say "for Rubik's Cube fans", I already say "for Rubik fans" sometimes, e.g. for a sliding tiles puzzle. But I think it'd just blow up the title and I'd not be too happy with it. Hey, I could just write "for Cube fans" if I have "Rubik's" already, e.g. when selling a Magic.... Damn, selling is so hard, I prefer buying ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:20 pm 

As a side topic, I wish the word "retro" wasn't used so much. It's turned into a faddish term that seems to mean it's not of "the now" but not old or high-quality enough to be called classic or antique. But the so-called "retro" stuff I like seems as fresh and "now" as anything to me. Do Speak & Spells for example need to be called retro in the listing? No, it's kind of redundant because there are no such thing as brand new ones being made. I like much stuff from long ago, but I don't ever search for "retro", I search for the stuff itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:28 am 

if you're looking for tips, here's mine.

low shipping cost (some stupid sellers like to make their profits out of shipping and handling. for example, $.99 starting bid for a tony fisher 3x3x4 but 800 dollar shipping and handling worldwide! :shock: people dont like that unless it's somehow reasonable.)

worldwide shipping (a lot of bids that ship to united kingdom only not too many people bid on. you should specifically state you will ship worldwide.)

paypal user or i guess you could take all kind of payments. (no comment)

and reasonable starting price. (for example, when people see a cube that worths $200, their brain likes to see a starting bid of 20 dollars[or a low starting price], not $200 straight out of your pocket. im guessing people understand, when there's one minute left for example and the cube is around $190, then they'll be okay with bidding above that because others bid on it and it's rare.)

i guess that's all there is to say ^^ and i really think i just told the basics that you must already know. :lol:

-chris joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:19 am 

Does anyone know more about galleries (showing other articles of the seller) on the auction page itself? Have a look at this one for example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5986976783

There's a moving gallery above the item description which might be an ebay uk specialty?

Under the description there's another gallery which is static.

I might like to use that feature but I was unable to find it. Can someone tell me where to find it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:32 am 

It isnt an ebay feature, its a seperate script entered into the description.

See here:

http://www.vendio.com/my/gallery/promo_ ... skiptabs=1