Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The trails of upgrading to Windows 7
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:41 pm 

Me: "I found a $65 version of Windows 7 for students! I entered my student email address to receive an email from Microsoft."

Computer: "Sorry, I received no emails. Try contacting your IT department."

IT: "Oh, this isn’t your email address up here, this is it, over there. Try that one."

Computer: "Great, got the email, now click on the link in the email and choose 32 bit or 64 bit."

Me: Turns out my processor can handle 64 bit, so I choose it.

Computer: "But before you buy, your computer has to be fully updated to upgrade to Windows 7."

Me: "But that update hasn’t installed for anything since I installed my SSD!"

*Spends several hours over 2 day before finding a solution*

Me: Had to uninstall Microsoft .NET 3.5 and reinstall.

Computer: "Great! Now you can download Windows 7."

*5 hours later*

Computer: "Before you install, backup all your files, because I’m about to do a clean installation."

Me: "But you said you would simply upgrade without a clean install, that’s why you needed the update!
Shrugging, I start backing up."

*1 hour later*

Me: After check back on the computers progress, I find it asleep!

Computer: *Yawn* "oh, I’m sorry, the new update said I could take a nap. Readjust your power settings & start over."

*Backup restarts and finally completes*

Me: I started putting the installation files on my USB drive.

Computer: "There is an error with the bootsect file."

Me: I google the problem:

Google: "Download the bootsect file manually from your Microsoft account. You’re trying to create boot files from 32 bit for 64 bit."

Me: So I tried going to Microsoft.

Microsoft: "You need an account before you can log in."

Me: "But I don’t have an account. All I did was click on the link from the email!"

Me: I then googled the problem again, and fortunately found the file for download on another site.

Computer: "Thank you, the files are now on your USB drive."

*Windows 7 begins to install*

Computer: "Hmm, I can’t create a new partition on the drive."

Me: I again google the problem

Google: "Disconnect all other data storages."

Me: So I disconnected my secondary TB internal.

Computer: "You have successfully installed Windows 7! But I can’t seem to connect to your network."

Me: I once again googled the problem.

Google: "Update the firmware on the network."

Me: "Didn’t help. I think I'll try changing the encryption from WPA to WPA2."

Computer: "Thank you, you are now connected to the internet!"

Other than that, Windows 7 installed flawlessly! After all this, I just had to vent here...

Last edited by MeMyselfAndPi on Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The trails of upgrading to Windows 7
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:10 pm 

ubuntu

download file...create usb boot stick...instll...your done..
time 30 min start to finish

just thought id put that in there

8-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:30 pm 

gibbleking wrote:
ubuntu

download file...create usb boot stick...instll...your done..
time 30 min start to finish

just thought id put that in there

8-)

Have it crash on you repeatedly and randomly, installing non standard drivers basically is impossible, most software doesn't work (unix alternatives are usually inferior), googling any problem will result in very vague instructions which don't work on your install since too much changed over the course of a year.
Actually every time I installed Ubuntu I would know not to do anything valuable for the first week. Since it would be continously crashing during that period and somehow fixing itself along the way.
Want some real pain? try installing Ubuntu through windows (usefull for older systems with no CD drive or USB boot support) The install you get from that will do nothing but crash.

I used Ubuntu, I do love it, but telling people it is easier to set up or maintain is nothing but a lie.
Even though I'm pretty tech savvy, I went to windows 7, and don't regret it for a single moment.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:34 pm 

Mac.

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:48 pm 

I agree. Mac- once you've tried it, its hard to go back :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:13 pm 

i have it so i can dual boot ...xp was driving me nuts so out of curiosity i partitioned the hd and bunged it on...tried it and it works fine...i just dont use it tho..i havent been back to it since before crimbo...i wouldnt mind windows 7 though..ive usedit on a lappie and it runs smoothly..much better then vista ever did...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:58 pm 

System76 PC + Ubuntu Server + KDE's Plasma Desktop.

When I do have to reinstall. it is easier and quicker than Win2000 or WinXP ever was.

I have no interest in trying newer Windows though I have thought of changing to Debian.

But to each their own.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:14 pm 

Yeah, I've played around on a Mac's a few times, but I never liked them. (It would take a lot of getting used to before I would.) My older sister has been using them for years, & they certainly have their problems too for video editing. It's a game we play whenever we complain about our bugs. "It's a Mac" I'll say. Then it'll be, "It's a PC" she says.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:21 pm 

God damn it guys, is it possible to have a Windows discussion topic WITHOUT the "don't use Windows" snobbery?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:30 pm 

Well, I'm biased. My dad's a graphic designer, and we've had 7 macs since the mid 90s. I'm using a PC laptop right now, but I only got this over the summer, and I still find macs 10x easier.

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:34 pm 

I wanted to install XP on a partition on my drive (Mac), but when I looked on amazon, the prices were still crazy high! The one that was cheaper was apparently a scam, judging from all of the reviews...

I liked XP when I used to have a PC, didn't like Vista at all, and got a bit annoyed with 7 on my brothers laptop, but XP was great for me.

At any rate, it sounds like you had a lot of trouble, but I'm glad that it worked out for you in the end, and at a great price too!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:19 am 

Namegoeswhere wrote:
Have it crash on you repeatedly and randomly, installing non standard drivers basically is impossible, most software doesn't work (unix alternatives are usually inferior), googling any problem will result in very vague instructions which don't work on your install since too much changed over the course of a year.
Actually every time I installed Ubuntu I would know not to do anything valuable for the first week. Since it would be continously crashing during that period and somehow fixing itself along the way.
Want some real pain? try installing Ubuntu through windows (usefull for older systems with no CD drive or USB boot support) The install you get from that will do nothing but crash.

I used Ubuntu, I do love it, but telling people it is easier to set up or maintain is nothing but a lie.
Even though I'm pretty tech savvy, I went to windows 7, and don't regret it for a single moment.

What the heck were you doing to that computer? I have yet to have my Ubuntu system crash. I've never actually tried wubi (the "windows install"), though installing from a CD is faster and just as easy as installing windows 7 (it was easier in my case because I was upgrading from XP ... boy what a pain). Install, check the box for restricted extras, update, done.
Though I agree that a good portion of the software available isn't as user friendly (manpages ftw!), so long as you use synaptec package manager to get it, the software most certainly does work. It is a little restrictive, but I've been hard pressed to find a FOSS alternative that isn't in there.

I have had to install kernel headers (equivalent to drivers) which was a MAJOR pain, but that's because I was trying to use the cheapest no-name sound card on the market. And they didn't publish their own *nix drivers. Other than that, I haven't had a piece of hardware that didn't plug and play.

I currently have 3 machines running Ubuntu with 3 different architectures, and all of them work just fine. One of which dual boots windows 7 for gaming.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:28 am 

TBTTyler wrote:
Namegoeswhere wrote:
snip

What the heck were you doing to that computer? I have yet to have my Ubuntu system crash. I've never actually tried wubi (the "windows install"), though installing from a CD is faster and just as easy as installing windows 7 (it was easier in my case because I was upgrading from XP ... boy what a pain). Install, check the box for restricted extras, update, done.
Though I agree that a good portion of the software available isn't as user friendly (manpages ftw!), so long as you use synaptec package manager to get it, the software most certainly does work. It is a little restrictive, but I've been hard pressed to find a FOSS alternative that isn't in there.

I have had to install kernel headers (equivalent to drivers) which was a MAJOR pain, but that's because I was trying to use the cheapest no-name sound card on the market. And they didn't publish their own *nix drivers. Other than that, I haven't had a piece of hardware that didn't plug and play.

I currently have 3 machines running Ubuntu with 3 different architectures, and all of them work just fine. One of which dual boots windows 7 for gaming.

I was really hard on that Ubuntu computer, asking it to do tough things like browse the web, play media (my god the media players Ubuntu had over the years are even worse then windows media player) and things like it. This was on Ubuntu 7.04 and 7.10. I wanted to use Linux for more advanced things, but it never let me come that far.
I installed 10.4 through wubi, and never have I had such an unstable system. Not only that, removing the Wubi install destroyed the Windows 7 install I had. Don't get me wrong, Ubuntu is starting to get decent, installing Beryl really drove me insane on 7.04 when now you can run compiz very easily. However once again my 10.4 Wubi install wouldn't let me use compiz because it didnt want to install my grafic card drivers (Nvidia quadro Fx 570m) and even after installing the drivers manually, no compiz...
Windows aint perfect either ofcourse, with windows XP I formatted every 4 months, but now with windows 7 I have yet to find any reason to do a cleanup.

Linux: once set up properly, it is perfectly fine for the avarage user, however troubleshooting is often near impossible. If you really have a LOT of computer knowhow, it is also the way to go.
Windows: somewhat bloated but very versatile and with the largest userbase of "normal" people, troubleshooting guides are made to fit them and well available and well documented. It can be set up and run by anyone and runs the majority of software.
Mac, very easy to use, but you overpay for the hardware and the main part of easy to use comes due to restricting the user. Fine for the avarage user but it drives me mad.

My phone however runs on Linux, so does my handheld gaming device, since windows mobile is rubbish and restricted, Apple iOS is much better but even more restricted, and google Andriod is really good but demands you to send all your info to Google.

Operating system wise there is no best, there is only the one that suits you the best.
It is like argueing which color is best, completely pointless and personal preferance. Also the pretence you must do something wrong to have an unstable machine is rediculous. People all over the world have issue's with everything, outside of their own controll.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:10 pm 

Namegoeswhere wrote:
I was really hard on that Ubuntu computer, asking it to do tough things like browse the web, play media (my god the media players Ubuntu had over the years are even worse then windows media player) and things like it. This was on Ubuntu 7.04 and 7.10. I wanted to use Linux for more advanced things, but it never let me come that far.
I installed 10.4 through wubi, and never have I had such an unstable system. Not only that, removing the Wubi install destroyed the Windows 7 install I had. Don't get me wrong, Ubuntu is starting to get decent, installing Beryl really drove me insane on 7.04 when now you can run compiz very easily. However once again my 10.4 Wubi install wouldn't let me use compiz because it didnt want to install my grafic card drivers (Nvidia quadro Fx 570m) and even after installing the drivers manually, no compiz...
Windows aint perfect either ofcourse, with windows XP I formatted every 4 months, but now with windows 7 I have yet to find any reason to do a cleanup.

I guess combining our experiences, the information we can glean from this is "Friends don't let friends use wubi"

Namegoeswhere wrote:
Also the pretence you must do something wrong to have an unstable machine is rediculous. People all over the world have issue's with everything, outside of their own controll.

The internet and it's lack of inflection rears its ugly head. I was not assigning blame for anything. That was an incredulous "What the heck were you doing to that computer", to which, in my head, the response was "Man, I was just surfing the internet". In retrospect, a smiley after that would have probably been appropriate.
You were providing anecdotes that were basically the exact opposite of my experience, and I felt the need to share :)
Though in all fairness, my Linux experience hasn't been all roses and cotton candy. At work we use OpenSuse, so I thought "I'll try that", and BOY was that a pain to set up. 5 gigs of downloads containing "All" of the libraries (equivalent to .dll files) it would need. I still got stuck in what I found was called "dependency hell" (frantically scouring the internet for libraries that another program requires only to find that the library you're getting requires yet another library) for about a week before I scrapped it and went to Ubuntu.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:59 pm 

In regards to hardware support, my experience has been that:

Windows' generic drivers are complete garbage, but you can almost always find a suitable driver as a post-install add-on.

Linux's generic drivers are quite versatile, but when they fail, you have little chance of finding a suitable driver.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:47 pm 

I wanted to upgrade my laptop to a newer Windows operating system, but I couldn't stomach the hundreds and hundreds of dollars it would cost, so instead I installed a Linux OS for the first time - Ubuntu 10.10. It's the only operating system that has turned any computer of mine into a brick. I literally had to wipe the hard drive and reinstall the whole operating system to get it to work again.

And what's with attaching a webcam? All I want it to do is record video in HD, but apparently sucking in video in real-time and saving it to a hard drive is beyond the capabilities of the mighty Ubuntu. Every time I try to record, the program Cheese turns me into Speed-Racer style stop motion animation. My previous Windows XP could handle recording just fine. Sigh. Anyone know any good Linux webcam software besides Cheese?

The good news is it's easy to connect to wireless networks. Everything else is about the same. I don't get the Ubuntu love people have out there yet. At least it's free, and easy to install, but you get what you pay for.

Fighting with Windows 7 is worth it in the long run. I would still take Windows 7 over this, all other things being equal.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:56 am 

blizzard_kb wrote:
I wanted to upgrade my laptop to a newer Windows operating system, but I couldn't stomach the hundreds and hundreds of dollars it would cost, so instead I installed a Linux OS for the first time - Ubuntu 10.10. It's the only operating system that has turned any computer of mine into a brick. I literally had to wipe the hard drive and reinstall the whole operating system to get it to work again.
Seriously? ubuntu is jokingly called noobuntu because you have to TRY to mess it up. I have it on my netbook (installed with wubi) and have had NO problems with it at all. I can boot into XP, ubuntu, and my memtest all fine. :D
blizzard_kb wrote:
And what's with attaching a webcam? All I want it to do is record video in HD, but apparently sucking in video in real-time and saving it to a hard drive is beyond the capabilities of the mighty Ubuntu. Every time I try to record, the program Cheese turns me into Speed-Racer style stop motion animation. My previous Windows XP could handle recording just fine. Sigh. Anyone know any good Linux webcam software besides Cheese?
Code:
sudo apt-get install aptitude
aptitude search '~dwebcam'

blizzard_kb wrote:
The good news is it's easy to connect to wireless networks.
I also find this pretty funny, since one of the things linux distros usually mess up is network drivers. Any time I hear someone I know is going to switch to a linux distro or update the one they have I tell them "Good luck with the network drivers.
blizzard_kb wrote:
Everything else is about the same. I don't get the Ubuntu love people have out there yet. At least it's free, and easy to install, but you get what you pay for.
Exactly, you get what you pay for. A free (both gratis and mostly libre) operating system that YOU control. It's a great feeling being able to know EXACTLY what's going on and with what on your computer.
blizzard_kb wrote:
Fighting with Windows 7 is worth it in the long run. I would still take Windows 7 over this, all other things being equal.
Windows 7 doesn't have a chance at running on my netbook, but the ubuntu installation is much nicer than XP.

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:43 pm 

Half of this would be avoided by not trying to upgrade a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS ;)
A clean install works much better in this case.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:18 am 

Namegoeswhere wrote:
Half of this would be avoided by not trying to upgrade a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS ;)
A clean install works much better in this case.

My old computer was upgraded from 32 vista to 64 7 and I didn't experience difficulties.