Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The worst possible telephone call
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:16 pm 

The worst call I can imagine just happened to me. I was filming a video for Uwe's site and I got not one but two very bad phone calls.

You see, I have a few toys coming in (from some of the far corners of Asia) via currier.......
:lol: :lol: and you thought it was something else :lol:

Anyway, both curriers have told me my puzzles are in HK. Can we deliver? Of course says I. I'm home until 2 today. YES!!! "New toys", me thinks.

But it is not to happen....Sadly both requested a delivery time for tomorrow morning when I'm at work :( I guess I'll just have to wait another 24 hours....

BUMMER!

Post subject: Re: The worst possible telephone call
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:20 pm 

I am sorry for your loss.

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:22 pm 

Kapusta wrote:

LOL you make it seem like someone died

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:31 pm 

cooldayr wrote:
Kapusta wrote:

LOL you make it seem like someone died

Only my puzzle-lust for the day. i do hope Uwe brings some goodies to dinner.....
Which reminds me, I need to call his watchdog and place an order.....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:42 pm 

You know, with a topic like "the worst possible", I was expecting something like "While I was in the hospital with Kat, who had just been run over by a car, I got a phone call telling me that my apartment building caught fire and I lost my entire collection".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:52 pm 

Ack! Don't curse me.

*totally off topic* I had to have a chat with my husband about his telephone manner. for years when he would call me, he wouldn't start with a 'hello' he'd start with 'we need to talk'.

My heart would start racing because either he caught wind of something naughty I had been up to and :oops: "there goes my marriage" or it was that dreaded someone has died going through my head.

Thankfully he has taken on board my suggested "are you free to talk" makes for a more pleasant Rox. :lol: :lol:

And my coffee tastes funny....can coffee grounds go off???

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:04 pm 

katsmom wrote:
Ack! Don't curse me.

Don't be so superstitious! :lol: Besides, it would only mean that the KO companies caught wind of you and were going for revenge because they were being funded by a secret government cabal or something.

katsmom wrote:
My heart would start racing because either he caught wind of something naughty I had been up to

So you admit you were doing naughty things?! :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:11 pm 

Jared wrote:
katsmom wrote:
My heart would start racing because either he caught wind of something naughty I had been up to

So you admit you were doing naughty things?! :shock:

I always do naughty things and have (almost) never been afraid to admit them :lol:

Most (by his account) involve buying toys......Or playing with boys when it's way past my bedtime :lol: :lol:

I'm a docile old fool and he loves me. We just have a different outlook on life~he's the saver, the one who looks to the future, the one who is grounded.....me, I have my head in the clouds and wear rose colored glasses~life is more fun that way :D

last night we were discussing purchasing a unit in a godown. I had to admit that I simply couldn't do it because between my puzzle purchases last year and my wonderful sister (heavy sarcasm there!) wouldn't leave me with a comfortable enough balance.... His reply: "You are so naughty!" :lol: :lol: See, not afraid to admit it.

Now fingers crossed everyone. If we get the unit we are looking at, there may be a permanent puzzle museum (open by invitation only) coming soon to a godown in HK....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 pm 

katsmom wrote:
Or playing with boys when it's way past my bedtime :lol: :lol:

:shock: :lol:

Do you play with toys at the same time? ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:57 pm 

If you answer that, I'll have to rethink how to get selected to be a mod :lol:

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:05 pm 

Jared wrote:
katsmom wrote:
Or playing with boys when it's way past my bedtime :lol: :lol:

:shock: :lol:

Do you play with toys at the same time? ;)

NType3 wrote:

I so badly want to answer that, but then everyone will be rethinking my mod status :lol: :lol:
I'm beginning to think I need to stay away from the bubbles.....

My inner imp is getting the better of me lately!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:09 pm 

I think I see the best couple in the world^^

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:31 pm 

katsmom wrote:
The worst call I can imagine just happened to me. I was filming a video for Uwe's site and I got not one but two very bad phone calls...
When I saw Uwe's name in the fist sentence, and connected it with the thread title, I immediately assumed that our beloved Uwe Meffert had taken a turn for the worst :cry:

I live in the US, so it's usually not that big a deal for me. If nobody's home, they usually leave the package to the side of the door, usually well hidden from street view by the stones surrounding the flowerbed. If it's got delivery confirmation though (most tracked packages), I (or my mom) have to sign for it. If we are not home, they leave us a notice under the door (UPS) or in the mailbox (USPS). They will hold the package for me at the post office for a set period of time (a generous 7-14 days depending on the courier) and I have the option to pick it up at the post office, or they can send it back out for redelivery, but they don't specify the time of day. Sometimes, this means if the delivery attempt was on a Friday, often I won't have my package until the following Monday.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:38 pm 

THAT is a post I hope I never make. I wouldn't joke about that in any way...
But it's not going to happen. He's a part of my 'mother pie' so he'll be around for a long long while.

I wish the delivery people would do that here. They leave a card in the mailbox for me to call back and arrange another date~which they never stick to. Sometimes I'll go round 4 or 5 times with that before I get my package. I've even tried the "leave it with the security guards" but that never seems to work....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:40 pm 

katsmom wrote:
'mother pie'

??????????

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:42 pm 

Judy Blume Are you there God, It's me Margaret She writes about the people who influence us most and calls them a piece of our "mother pie" Not a gender reference, but one of love and friendships.
:lol: :lol: I do believe I have more men in my 'mother pie' than I do women...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:06 am 

katsmom wrote:
NType3 wrote:

I so badly want to answer that, but then everyone will be rethinking my mod status :lol: :lol:
I'm beginning to think I need to stay away from the bubbles.....

My inner imp is getting the better of me lately!
LOL, funny conversation:lol:
katsmom wrote:
I always do naughty things and have (almost) never been afraid to admit them :lol:

Most (by his account) involve buying toys......Or playing with boys when it's way past my bedtime :lol: :lol:
You must be referring to your trip to the Guangzhou open:
katsmom wrote:
... of these men made me feel like a conceited cow! I KNOW I have a lot of toys. I KNOW I know a lot about these toys, and I'm not afraid to tell others. These guys, not so. They know, they build, they stay mum. Found the boys. On to toys. Found a shop. Lots of Mefferts KO's. Purchased w/receipt. Good. Found ... Got to love lunch in China. A perpetual state of drunkenness. Toys and boys! (and beer!-have to add that to my mantra :lol: ) At lunch, Calvin and Mf8 realized I wasn't ...
http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19079&p=231518&hilit=beer+boys+toys#p231518

katsmom wrote:
And it begins: "boys and toys and BEER!" :lol:
http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19202&p=233073&hilit=beer+boys+toys#p233073

Awe, shucks! As long as that's ALL you did, it's still just clean wholesome fun! :mrgreen: What fun is life if you don't set aside time to party? :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:13 am 

:oops: I had forgotten about that trip. Never live in the past right???? (going back in my head is naughty indeed)

I was thinking more along the lines of what I DIDN'T write in this post :lol: :lol:

Life would be no good at all without boys and toys and a bit of time set aside for a 'fun' evening :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:35 am 

...I could make a "mega minx" joke but I want to stay a member here. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:41 am 

:lol: :lol: I do hope you are referring to a cheeky and mischievous gal rather than one with loose morals :lol: :lol:

I assure you sir, My morals stay intact even when I'm downing jagermeister like water. (one of the joys of coming of age in Germany-I can hold it pretty well, and at times even give the big boys a run for their money) It's when I switch to my friend Johnny that we need to worry...but then even he takes 8 to 10 rounds for those to start to slip :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:00 am 

Jaggermiester is good stuff, and it goes down really smooth. I've got a bottle of it in my fiance's freezer. I also like fine Tequila shots. She won't touch either of the stuff though. Probably for the better, as the Jagger seems to give me a slightly worser hangover than other hard liquors. Any kind of hard Liquor, my fiance has to have hers diluted with soda or other beverage. Our favorite mixing combination is Sailor Jerry's Spiced Rum with Diet DrPepper. We also enjoy wine, and beer if it's premium (i.e. not the cheap ballpark stuff).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:21 am 

:lol: I had a corvette for a while when I lived in Germany. It's engine had this tell tale sound...My favorite bar knew when I was coming and had the Jager poured for me as I walked through the door....More tales not for the telling :lol: :lol: I've always loved that cough mediciny taste of it :twisted:

Tequila! Never again! I did shots once when I was at Uni....I vaguely (well, no, vividly) remember skinny-dipping in Lake Wisconsin on a cold winters night. As well as the subsequent ride to the police station wrapped in one of those shiny silver blankets :lol: :lol: Nope! I'll leave that stuff in the dusty memories of my younger days! You keep your tequila!

respectable married woman here now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:08 am 

katsmom wrote:
:lol: I had a corvette for a while when I lived in Germany. It's engine had this tell tale sound...My favorite bar knew when I was coming and had the Jager poured for me as I walked through the door....More tales not for the telling

Please don't tell me that you drove your car to the bar, drank, and then drove home!!! :shock:

I always walk or take my bicycle if I know I'll be out drinking - pretty fun, too! :twisted:

I see you liked American sports cars! :D What model year was it? This past summer (2010), I acquired a 2003 V6 Mustang Convertible. Right before school, I wrecked it turning left at a Stop Sign. Got a pretty bad bump on the noggin, too (no concussion or brain trauma, but I had staples in my head). I was so distraught over wrecking "My Pony" that I didn't even notice that my head was bleeding... :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:23 am 

:lol: :lol: It was red! I have no idea. That was way back in '87.

Me drink and drive! :shock: No way! I've always been sensible. I have always had a one drink rule-one drink, hand over the keys!

The Dj. was a doll. He would drive me back home, then walk next door to his house. :lol: I don't think he took pity on the drunk blonde, I think he liked the car.

pretty car, but i dropped the transmission on it....damned thing was not a stick (why would anyone buy a nice car like that with an automatic in it I'll never know!) Got a Ford Panda for running in after that. LOL I loved those lawn chair seats it had. Could do all kinds of naughty things in that one, park it out back, and hose it down with the garden hose next day. Good as new! Sadly, my partner in those days couldn't fit very well and we bought an Audi. :roll:

I seem to have a thing with partners and small cars. I had a Fiat Dino Spider when I met Matt, he didn't fit in that either unless I took the roof off. Had to sell it and he ended up buying me a Saab!

Now I'm beginning to see a pattern here. Rox buys a sexy little car, has partners that are not little. They sell the sexy little car and buy me something "safe".....I wonder if they were all trying to tell me something.....

Shudder! I just saw a Volvo in my future...Scary!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:45 am 

katsmom wrote:
Could do all kinds of naughty things in that one, park it out back, and hose it down with the garden hose next day. Good as new!
katsmom wrote:
Wow, that's Epic! :shock:

Sweet dreams. I need to get to bed (2:50am)... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:02 am 

stardust4ever wrote:
katsmom wrote:
Could do all kinds of naughty things in that one, park it out back, and hose it down with the garden hose next day. Good as new!
katsmom wrote:
Wow, that's Epic! :shock:

Not what you're thinking son! You guys with your minds in the gutter! I had a few joe's who couldn't hold their liquor in that car on more than one occasion (come to think of it, every base I lived on I had a few Joe's that couldn't make it to the curb). When They had to get rid of that excess stomach content, they did :lol: (I mostly made it to pulling over and door opening :lol: ) Remember, I was a young punk way back then. The Panda was a great car for it. Hose it down the next day. The Audi had to go in for a full cleaning!

Good clean wholesome fun here! Nothing more. Ask the good Dr. if you a don't believe me :lol: With or without the fermented stuff I'm just as crazy! Always full of life....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:49 pm 

katsmom wrote:
Remember, I was a young punk way back then.

I assume we are talking about the USA meaning of the word 'punk' rather than the UK meaning or can we expect a picture of you with safety pins and a Mohican?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:20 pm 

Drat, I almost burst a blood vessel in my head when I read some of these posts, trying soooooo hard not to laugh at some of the images this thread has been conjuring up. Sometimes I swear I don't know how Roxanne survives all of the things she does (leading an awesome life as an after-hours twisty puzzler) and still has time to be a respectable person who can lead a normal life!

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:30 pm 

I thought that the call was going to be one of your loved ones dying or something.

But this isn't nearly as bad as you said it would be.

"You say tomater, I zader matermorts." - Coach Z

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:04 pm 

:lol: :lol: Spiked GREEN hair in '86, no safety pins-but 19 holes in my ears, the nose ring has long since disappeared, but when I'm in a mood and my inner imp starts calling the earings come out again-much to the chagrin of the bug and spouse. Tattoos all removed in a very painful process when the bug started to learn to read. :lol: (sorry Tony, no pictures of me pre-1994 to be found, all gone in Dads house fire)

Maturity started to set in round about 2001. Dang what kids won't do to you :lol: :lol:

And quicksilver-if I recall, you've met the crazy lady on more than one occasion. Just full of p&v and you know it! She lives off of the high that is inherent with puzzles and playing, and very little sleep! Thrives even. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:08 am 

Having met you actually makes me more surprised for two reasons-first that you can function, and secondly that you once had green hair. The mere thought of you as anything but he person that I know is a bit unsettling, especially to that extreme. What does this have to do with the original topic? Nothing. You need to find the puzzle companies a baseball pitcher for hire-proximity should mean shorter delivery (I should warm up my throwing arm too; 2 months is just too long, especially whe customer service is so key)

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:35 am 

quicksolver, never fear, no green in my future. 'Twas a food coloring experiment gone bad :lol: :lol: (once you graduate from university~and have finished sowing your oats, I may consider telling you those stories not for the telling :lol: I assure you they aren't as bad as your imagination :wink: )

Come to think of it everytime I was green (yes, there was more than one) it was something gone wrong....I am what you know. Nothing more, nothing less.

And Yipee! Before I went out for testing today, the post man delivered my packages from Japan! Circus 7 x2, magic 5 x4, snake in a very funny stand x2, and best of all! Cylinder 10! Some one upstairs still likes me through all my impish babel. :lol: Now I just need to work out what to do with those cylinder 10's. Does any one know????

I've seen them for years and always wanted one, but never saw a write up on it.
Attachment:
barrels.jpg
barrels.jpg [ 44.14 KiB | Viewed 2510 times ]

And FYI it's only 8:30. I decided that I need to be 'normal' for tomorrows working day :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:26 am 

Attachments:
Rox.jpg
Rox.jpg [ 55.2 KiB | Viewed 2491 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:35 am 

aaaaaaaaaaggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:21 pm 

Attachment:
Rox.jpg
Rox.jpg [ 36.45 KiB | Viewed 2457 times ]

Attachment:
shopped.jpg
shopped.jpg [ 108.13 KiB | Viewed 2457 times ]

:D

Alex

YouTube Account: Cubiksrube113

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:53 pm 

And I'm probably dead when Hong Kong dawns in a few hours. It's been nice knowing you guys!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:59 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
And I'm probably dead when Hong Kong dawns in a few hours. It's been nice knowing you guys!

I just got the telephone call. :cry:

Could this entire thread have been foreshadowing this event?

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:18 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:

RIP Tony. It's been nice knowing you.

If you didn't place your dogics on your will, I'd be happy to have my name in it

:lol:

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:37 pm 

can i have first dibs on your stuff when she finds out? :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:58 pm 

Dibs on the v7 sculpture

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:08 pm 

Dibs on all your collection except 1 V sculpture 7 that sky wants :)

- Greg :)

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:51 pm 

Dibs on mental block, overlapping cube, and all your Dogics and Dinos :D

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:18 pm 

I get your Containers, Golden Cubes, 3x3x5, Giant Cubes (3x3 and 2x2), a Number Puck, Rubik's Cheese, and a Megaminx! :lol: :lol:

(it's obvious I want to expand my collection, isn't it?? :D )

YouTube channel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:28 pm 

RubixFreakGreg wrote:
Dibs on all your collection except 1 V sculpture 7 that sky wants :)

- Greg :)

Sorry guys but my dibs on the collection includes dogics etc... Or will Rox keep his collection as a war trophy? :lol:

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:05 pm 

Actually maybe Rox should keep this in mind so Tony can keep making awesome puzzles! :wink:

YouTube channel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:59 am 

:lol: :lol: I saw this this morning as I was heading out the door at 6 a.m. to go to work. The phone just doesn't reply well.....

I've since spent the day listening to very dull conversation and walking around Disney. Nothing to say now except:

Wrong color Tony! Mine was a much more vibrant green :lol: More of a mop in the front too...
:lol: :lol:

*I already said my good byes on facebook

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:45 am 

The Cylinder Ten puzzle has ten rotating disks each with ten color segments.
The goal is to align the disks to get ten different colors in each row.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:30 am 

Rob, have you got this one? I'm confused by it. There are many places where there are two colors the same in the rows going round the cylinder. The non-matching bit should be the long columns of 10 right? Not the roundy bits?

And any idea on when these were made? I haven't been able to find it, and the slip of paper that is inside doesn't come with a year on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:46 pm 

Yes, I do have a Cylinder 10, including the paper instructions, which are in English.
The instructions say,
"Arrange 10 different colors in a line to get all rows correct. The probability of getting the correct order is one in a billion. This puzzle will give the whole family hours of amusement. Note: it is packed in the factory with colors in the correct order (i.e. the solution)"

Of course, mine has long ago been mixed up!
As you say, there is no date I can find on any of the material. However, I translated "Cylinder 10" into Japanese and did a search on Google Japan just to see what would turn up, and I found a blog article from April 2008 talking about the release of this puzzle and how it is in a series with Masudaya's other puzzles Face 4, Hexagon Mind Exerciser, and Circus 7.
Here is a link to the blog via google translation to English:
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fblog.frog-port.com%2F%3Feid%3D160789&sl=ja&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

Note that the instructions say "10 different colors in a line" but do NOT stipulate that the SAME ten colors must be in every line! This is unlike the traditional Instant Insanity type where one of each color must be present. This allows the rotating disks to have repeated or missing colors, as you observe. A "line" is a row of stickers across all ten disks. There are ten disks each with ten positions/stickers, so they are accurate in saying one in a billion, since there are 10^9 possible settings (the setting of the first disk is immaterial).

I haven't analyzed or solved it (yet). If you find out more info, please let me know! Thanks.