Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Problems with posting video
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:07 pm 

I guess this is the correct place for this topic.
I tried to post a 1.5 min clip of the recent uk news item regarding 25 years of the cube. I had to film the actual tv screen as I don't have analogue to digital facilities. It came out alright so I imported it into my computer using winDVD creator. Under "tools" I can save it in a file using a choice of formats. I tried asf and wmv but I could not load either on to this site. the sizes were both around 5.5mb. dvi seems to result in a much larger file. Am I doing something wrong? Most of the other video stuff I've done on computer has worked very well. Remember I am still learning and to be honest haven't gone through all the help pages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:50 pm 

How are you trying to upload it to this site? The "add an attachment" option perhaps? If so, its likely that this function screens for image files and only allows images to be uploaded. To fix this you can either try uploading to a different site, or change the file extension to your file (manually) and attempt to explain to your users how to display and edit file extentions. The former is a MUCH better option.

Find some free web-host and tell anyone that wants to download to copy and paste the url to their address bar rather than just clicking the link (remote linking is often disabled on free hosts.

As for file format, I would recommend the ".avi" format (you said ".dvi" which I've never heard of, I'm assuming is avi...) as it is generally higher quality and the codec is freely available. Although any of the others should work. Please dont use .asf though (I hate streaming videos)[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:23 am 

I think the one I did, I just attached the video like a I would a jpeg. I used .wmv

good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:18 am 

Yes it was avi not dvi but there seemed to be 4 different types and all were way above the 10mb limit for my clip. I'll look into the other ways you mention. I am bothered to much for this clip but like I say it is a handy thing to know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:49 pm 

aw.... dont say that :-D

I'd love to see a video from you, esp if its one of your custom puzzles in work. Is there any chance you can e-mail it to me? I could find a host to upload to.

You might be able to shrink the size by decreasing resolution, decreasing clip length, increasing compression, or zipping the file (try winzip or winrar for the latter, the former 3 options should be in you video-editing software). That could probably get it under 10mb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:18 pm 

No it's nothing like that, it's the recent TV news item about 25 years of the cube. I am trying to learn as much as possible about using the internet, camcorders, computers etc. When I get the basics sorted then I'll consider something more interesting like footage of the Dutch cube day or puzzle making.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:21 pm 

What other kinds of video have you made Tony???? :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:57 pm 

There's a big building project going on in my home town at the moment. My boss asked me to film all the Archaeology that has to be done before each stage can go ahead. I did record some footage at the 2003 Dutch Cube Day including a basic walk round of the tables and some of the speedcubing. I never got round to editing it though. There's also the standard holiday stuff. I'd like to film some puzzle making someday but it gets very time consuming putting it all together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:26 pm 

Are you sure that is all Tony, Know what I mean!!! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:49 pm 

I have a terrible feeling that I do know what you mean!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:12 pm 

nubnuts wrote:
Are you sure that is all Tony, Know what I mean!!! :evil:

Am I the only one who doesn't know what nubnuts "means"? Are you suggesting Tony makes snuff films or something?