Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Offcenter cubes
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 3:51 am 

i think i have a pretty good idea how to make one, but not sure.

does anyone have one? i would like to see a few Mid- twisty pics, and a solved pic

**Dont tell me how to make it, ive figured out the rest my self, i'd like this one too be my own thoughts as well**

Post subject: any pictures?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 5:15 am 

tyler, do you have any pictures of this thing? id like to see what youre talking about.

Post subject: Untitled
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 12:37 pm 

i found this on a japanese website. i think there may be one in the puzzle museum.
this is the offcenter 4x4. it is in mid-twist, but i would still like to see another mid twisty pic

Post subject: Is it...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 4:26 pm 

a 3x3x3 with extra bits added? or is it a fair dinkum 4x4x4 which has been tampered with? can it be messed up much or is it just for show?

Post subject: Re: Is it...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 8:10 pm 

i am pretty sure its a 3x3. as i have seeen mid twist pictures before, but i cant find them anymoree. i think this is originally a fisher variant

Post subject: Re: Untitled
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 1:01 am 

Given that you've said it's a 3x3x3 yourself Tyler, I'm hardly spoiling the fun here! Why would you need/want more pictures? This is obviously just an extended 3x3x3. Just add 37 cubies and you can't help but get that thing. They chose to add a Blue, Orange (the colour near the "12" is orange, right?) and White layer.

The two side-colours on the top slice (or slices, but I'm assuming the extra vertical layer is on top for various reasons) are the back two colours of the bottom two slices. So the top slice (and it's 23 attached cubies) has been turned about 135deg.

Sandy

Post subject: The "real" Off-center Cube
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 8:37 am 

Just to avoid any mix-up further on:
What Tyler calls an Off-Center Cube is what Singmaster and others have always called an "Eccentric 4x4x4" which is made by adding extra layers to a 3x3x3.
The term "Off-Center Cube" was introduced by Cube transformer Greg Stevens of Seattle for his bandaged Fisher Cube, which is a very difficult Puzzle indeed and can be seen on Hendriks Museum Pages.
Philip

Post subject: Cube hack job
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 8:10 pm 

I'd suggest just using two or more cubes and putting pieces together using epoxy and maybe miliput or equivalent to fill in gaps. Takes a while to make but there's really nothing special about it other than its unusual appearance.

Post subject: Re: Re: Untitled
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 1:01 am 

im not sure that its a 3x3, but it seems to be one

Post subject: oops
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 4:21 am 

i was wrong
i checked hendrik's site
its called a special 4x4x4 see below

sorry for confusing everyone

Post subject: I can vouch for that.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 8:37 am 

After studying the Offcentre Cube model in Puzzler 2.0 (with the unregistered version, you can see what they look like and rotate them freely, you just can't play with them), I turned a Rubik's Cube into an Offcentre Cube. They're WAY more difficult than you might think! In fact, I'd say it's more difficult that the Square-1 and Bandaged Cubes put together. If you'd like to hack your own together, turn the top and bottom sides of a normal cube into a 2x2 face by taping a 2x2 section together and the adjacent pieces into 1x2 segments. Make sure the top and bottom faces are aligned the same way (ie. the 2x2 pieces should be placed on top of each other, etc). Just remember, before you open Pandora's Box by creating your own, you've been warned... :) L8r.