Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Review: TomZ's Mini Pentultimate
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:59 am 

I think, such a nice puzzle deserves a review in its own thread.
To make a long story short: If you can afford $99, go and get it!!!
Thank you Tom and thank you Jason for allowing Tom to sell it! :D :D :D

Yesterday, I have received my DIY from Shapeways and here it sits fully assembled and stickered on my desk.

If you like more details, go on reading.
There have been two threads
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19312 in New puzzles
and
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19321 in Marketplace

Current order process
The order process for a Mini Pentultimate DIY is a bit more complicated as usual. Tom has provided this link for buying it:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/170785/m ... imate.html
Possibly, you will then find it “Not for Sale” (like me).
You have to contact Tom for more details.
TomZ wrote on Shapeways wrote:
My Mini Dodecahedra now are available for purchase from Shapeways, but due to technical limitations I cannot offer them on my shop since they can only be ordered through Shapeways' back door. Please send me an email ( tom at tomvanderzanden dot nl ) to purchase these puzzles.
You’ll get then further instructions from Tom.
Fortunately Shapeways will be able to change this soon and you can then order the Pentultimate as usual.
The price is surprisingly low for such a complex puzzle. It’s not cheap but fair.
You can order a fully assembled and stickered puzzle from Tom. This is far more expensive (currently $210). Therefore, I had decided buying the DIY in black. (The material is called “White Strong Flexible”, but you can buy it dyed black at Shapeways.)

Assembling it
When I saw the many pieces, I was worried a bit, if I could assemble it without further instructions.
My hardest assembling experience, so far, has been the Gigaminx (the C4U, obviously :roll: ) and I had instructions for that one.
The pieces looked pretty clean, probably, excessive powder had been removed by Shapeways when dyeing it.

Today, after I had finished the assembly, I had a look at the mechanism pictures in the existing threads (see above). I think that those might have been of some help. Even without the pictures (because I hadn’t searched, my fault), it was pretty straight forward to see, where the different piece types should go.
As Tom had written in one of his posts, it is fun – but not when you do it seven times.(That’s why the assembled puzzles have their price.)
For me as a non-builder, this was a great experience.
It helps a lot that the core ball is printed together with one of the faces and the internal structures for that one.
One good thing is that the pieces hold together fine, even when only a part of the puzzle is put together, so far.
(For the mentioned Gigaminx I have used adhesive tape to hold the assembled part together. No adhesive tape used for the Pentultimate).
When I was close to the final pieces, I was worried again, if I would be able to plug in the last piece. Due to the flexibility of the WSF material, it turned out not to be a problem.
While I was assembling it, I thought many times: Will this beast make a single turn? (I was glad that no piece was left over at the end. :) )

The finished puzzle
It is not so “Mini” as the name says. It is 52 mm high and its size feels comfortable in my hand.
Turning is as smooth as promised and as I had hoped for.
I have used my usual silicone spray on it(, and I think you should use silicone on any WSF puzzles).
I have not yet scrambled and solved it (there is a little issue with the stickers), but I'm sure it will become one of my favourite puzzles :D :D :D

EDIT: Regarding my sticker issue: Olivér has written this viewtopic.php?f=4&p=237828#p237828
Actually, his stickers do not stick well on my BSF puzzle. (Remember BSF = Black Strong Flexible is just WSF = White Strong Flexible, dyed by Shapeways.)
They look nice, though, but how can I make them stick?
I'm not brave enough to use Greg's iron method. :) Probably, Tony's super glue method will work well, but I'll try heating with infrared light first (the iron method for the not so brave :lol: )
I have several puzzles from Tom and had never the smallest problems with stickers.
Two differences: 1. Tom has dyed those others and 2. he has used different stickers.

EDIT2: I have now tried some heating with an infrared lamp and was brave enough to use an iron at moderate heat. It seems that it helped! :)

Last edited by Konrad on Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Review: TomZ's Mini Pentultimate
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:08 am 

Where did you get those stickers :shock:

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:17 am 

I have sent PM to you. Currently I have a problem with the little triangles not sticking very well to the BSF material.
I'm in the process of clarifying it.

EDIT: PLease, see the EDIT in my original post.

Last edited by Konrad on Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:47 am 

Very nice Konrad. I love the stickers on it. I've now decided I'll finish my Pentultimate this weekend. I bought mine before many others have, yet I'll be the last to finish. :lol:

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:57 pm 

I'd like to add that I would rate this puzzle 95-100 out of 100! its SO well designed this one!

and I had no issues with stickers! I also polished the pieces, so that might have helped! :)

this puzzle is HIGHLY recommended! If you have 99 dollars to spend, this is the puzzle you want!

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:06 pm 

Sigurd wrote:
... I had no issues with stickers! I also polished the pieces, so that might have helped! :)

I think, that you have described your "polishing" somewhere. How exactly does that work?

EDIT: Which stickers have you used?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:56 pm 

polishing: Simply have a white A4 piece of paper lay on a table. Take your piece and rub the edge back and forth like if you were sanding it. Really simple ;) It takes alot of time to get all the edges done, but its really worth it! My puzzle reflects ligth instead of sucking it in :P

I got my stickers from Olivér Nagy. They are the same design as Dr. Sticker. Dont know about the colors.

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:36 am 

Update:
I've ordered new stickers but have not applied them yet. (One of the 12 colours in the new set is black! Black for a black puzzle. Not my favourite.) After Greg's ironing method the little triangles of Olivér's stickers adhere pretty well. (The large ones never had a problem.) A single sticker got lost, though.

I have scrambled and solved it once and I want to ask here about the experiences others have made.
I have to say, I find it very hard.
Hard in the sense that it is so easy to loose concentration. A single move turns 16 pieces and there is no stable relationship between anything. It is easy to forget a few setup moves when you have completed a move sequence and you need to reverse the setup, but you have the colour scheme in your memory only.
And it is easy to get lost in the middle of a move sequence when you are getting locks. (And locks happen more often in real life as when playing with a puzzle randomly. :) )
I was close to finishing it several times when I got lost and had to start over again. :(
Here follow a few hints. Please, higlight the text, if you want to read it:
[My work horse is a 10 move sequence doing a 3-cycle of the corners. I have found this using Gelatinbrain.
I start with the 12 centres using a shorter and simple sequence. This is not so hard, if you have somehow memorized your colour scheme. The rest is done with the 10 move algorithm. I use it in its mirrored and inverse variants. I care about orienting the corners correctly, while putting them to the right location. If I need too many confusing setup moves, I place a corner incorrectly oriented and leave the orientation up to the very end. For this I use a commutator X Y X' Y' with X = the 10 move sequence.
The theory is pretty easy, but doing it in reality is hard! :)
]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:01 pm 

I have assembled it and found it a perfectly designed puzzle.
Absolutely worth the price. And so far I have no problems with the stickers.

But I also have to admit, that I haven't fully scrambled and solved it yet,
as my time is very limited at the moment. But I really expect it to be a lot
of fun as it turns nicely, so I can concentrate more on the algorithms.

Cheers - Frank

Link to my website: Frank's Puzzle Library
Please use puzzles@tiex.de to contact me. I disabled PMs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:34 pm 

Tom, did you think of offering this puzzle to Meffert for mass-production? It appears that it's pretty well suited for that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:36 pm 

This review was done so well I just bought one for myself.

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:37 pm 

I would love for this puzzle to be mass produced, but considering that there are 156 pieces (I think) to make a 32 external piece puzzle seems like a lot of work. But who knows, Meffert has produced some crazy puzzles! :lol:

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:05 pm 

Aleksey: No, I would consider offering it to him for one moment. I would be shot down instantly, it's far too expensive to produce, unfortunately. That said, Meffert is aware of my presence and sometimes approaches me about my puzzles, but usually the conclusion is that it's too expensive to make.

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:07 pm 

I am way satisfied with having this puzzle available at this price! :) But that's just me!

hmm, who am I kidding? A massproduction would be mindblowing! But thinking of the complexity it has, I dont think you should set your hopes or even expectations too high...

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel