Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Guangzhou open
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:23 pm 

Just a teaser before I go to class.

Attachment:
0004b.jpg
0004b.jpg [ 382.83 KiB | Viewed 11027 times ]

Post subject: Re: Guangzhou open
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:11 pm 

Sometimes I despise those of you with jobs and can afford to buy all these puzzles... No offense- it's mainly out of jealousy. I'm assuming you got these from the Guangzhou Open? My only other guess is that you're bringing these to the competition...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:34 am 

Well then, you will really despise me now!

I didn't build any of them. If you notice, they are all signed. Same signatures that you see on the tshirt. These were all (using SmaZ's words) "unconditional gifts"

These puzzles cost me nothing more than friendship with some outstanding men. I am finding it very difficult to find words to express not only my gratitude, but also my admiration and love for them.

I'm in the middle of a working day (god knows how I will make it through the next 4 hours) but will post a full report and photos later this evening. Right now I'm attempting to put the first solid food I've had in the past 3 days in my tum. That's about as much as I can concentrate on at one time. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:39 am 

katsmom wrote:
Right now I'm attempting to put the first solid food I've had in the past 3 days in my tum.

Returning to the land of the sober.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:03 am 

:lol: :lol: Harder than you can imagine....still slightly um well. Never mind.

Hey! Did you manage to solve your "puzzle"? Or did Sam come back! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:46 am 

What's that white truncated-octahedron-twisty-thing in the middle? Looks awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:57 am 

Ok, as promised, here comes the weekend report! It will probably be very long so bear with me. I'm still suffering from 'over excitement' and am sure I will forget a few things along the way so I'll end up editing or adding at a later point.

SmaZ and I met at the bridge in Hong Kong and bought tickets for the express train to Guangzhou. We decided to get return tickets, and in our excitement of the weekend ahead, managed to get return tickets with the wrong time on them. Not a problem, we managed to get the time changed.
Attachment:
0003.jpg
0003.jpg [ 310.94 KiB | Viewed 10978 times ]

The train we were on was a double decker one. Something I had never seen before. The ride was nice and smooth but to play it safe, I took a bit of a motion sickness pill. On the train, I was showing SmaZ a book i picked up in Japan with lots of eye candy in it and we had a brief discussion about some of Oskar's puzzles. He in turn opened his bag and you want to talk about eye candy-I got it. he had a number of custom puzzles along with him. I assumed he was just going to show them around-but was given a surprise later on. Let me see if I can remember: 2 3x3x5's, a bright dino, an axis cylinder, the luxor, his square 1 pyramid (the ugly one :lol: ), a dino barrel, a castle, a clear house...I forget what else was in his bag of toys.

The ride lasted 2 hours, and when we got to Guangzhou the first stop was to change those tickets. Very easily done, and off we went. We got on the subway and headed out for our first shopping trip! This was a huge surprise for me as I didn't expect that. I was thinking check into the hotel first----you know the traveling deal.

We started off going to the "old market" and the shopping center we entered was called "Hong Kong China City" Don't you just love it-2 hours away and I didn't leave home :lol: About 3 steps into the shopping center and we realized that our bags were just a bit too much for the narrow alleys so we left and went across the road. SmaZ knew a wholesaler there and we dumped our bags. While we were there, I took some photos of what I wanted to get knowing we had to go back for my bags and not wanting to buy duplicates.
Attachment:
0006.jpg
0006.jpg [ 231.15 KiB | Viewed 10978 times ]

SmaZ and I walked around for a bit, then went out to meet AJ and DDR. Now this to me was a hoot. I walked down the steps and gave AJ a hug-I should say gave a very stiff AJ a hug. I forgot the cultural differences, and I'm always affectionate. If I weren't I wouldn't be me (but I'm pleased to say by the end of the weekend, it was no longer a stiff AJ. I think he got used to the nutter he was with :lol: ) The 4 of us headed out for lunch and some puzzling fun. AJ brought along a few of his toys, and he and DDR did a lot of explaining for me. (4 or 5 beers only, and for those of you that don't know, the bottles of beer are around 21 ounces each-slightly larger than we are used to back home. The custom is to share and not drink your own-but more on that later)
Attachment:
0040.jpg
0040.jpg [ 356.35 KiB | Viewed 10978 times ]

SmaZ brought along a tool he uses to make various cuts and gave AJ and DDR a man tool. I think it was some kind of a file. Me, I just sat back, drank beer and watched to make sure the chicken head didn't jump off the plate! :lol:

Out on the street for more shopping. Yes, I got a few puzzles, and SmaZ picked up a bunch of stuff for his shop in HK (not puzzle related). We went back into the shopping mall we first entered early in the day and I snapped loads of photos of everyplace I saw puzzles.

We headed back over to the wholesaler to pick up our bags and to have the mornings purchases sent on to HK. Next stop, the hotel!

Now this was an experience. Just checking in was a hoot! I'm used to handing over my passport when I travel and when SmaZ asked me for the document, I did just that. Apparently in China there are hotels for Chinese people and hotels for Westerners. I fit into the second category. A Phone call and a bit of loud speech and I was asked to hand over my HK id. That did the trick and I was given a room for the night. We dumped the bags, I took a few photos of some of the more interesting aspects of the room, and we headed over to the competition area to meet some other friends of SmaZ's. Ok, I've been in Asia for a long time, and I'm used to the environment, but I still get surprises. The hotel room had a few for me. First the bathroom:
Attachment:
0140.jpg
0140.jpg [ 329.89 KiB | Viewed 10978 times ]

the second was the bed. I swear the matress was nothing more than a wooden board! And of course, there was this:
Attachment:
0322.jpg
0322.jpg [ 342.55 KiB | Viewed 10978 times ]

Ok, even in my wildest of times (my summer following the dead around the states, I never stayed in a hotel that provided these! :lol:

We didn't stay long and headed out to dinner with Di Yin Tao, Mr. You, AJ, and DDR. Again, more beer and watching the chicken head. There were puzzles galore on the table, and I got permission to show them on this forum.
Attachment:
0078.jpg
0078.jpg [ 279.18 KiB | Viewed 10978 times ]

Attachment:
0144.jpg
0144.jpg [ 265.23 KiB | Viewed 10978 times ]

Attachment:
0154.jpg
0154.jpg [ 254.69 KiB | Viewed 10978 times ]

Attachment:
0177.jpg
0177.jpg [ 241.86 KiB | Viewed 10978 times ]

Attachment:
0184.jpg
0184.jpg [ 392.08 KiB | Viewed 10978 times ]

Once we finished eating, we headed back over to the competition venue and met up with Mf8 (name is not revealed as per request) and chris_s (from this forum-sorry hun, I forgot to ask if I could post your real name. If it is ok, I'll change it.) We stuck around for a bit to set up the venue and I got to look at some of chris_s' creations. Now, I'm going to tell you all he is a wonderful sweet man! For no reason that I can fathom he gave me two puzzles. One is a different version of the apples he made that are already for sale, and the other is a trick opening puzzle. The apple was a real shocker because inside was a ring! What a joy to get a ring from a stranger (well, not such a stranger any more :lol: -no chris-I didn't ask him to go back to the hotel and........ :lol: That was advice, not personal practice :lol: ) The trick opening puzzle enthralled all who saw it, and as we were talking about it, chris_s and I realized we have many mutual acquaintances. He also showed me a lovely aluminium 6 piece burr that he made. Nothing new about it, bog standard, but a work of art in its creation.

I wandered around and took a few photos of the puzzles on display, and then we headed out for a midnight snack-literally (ok, so it was closer to 1 am but who's counting) SmaZ, chin_s and I were walking down the street looking for a place, and I had to chuckle when I understood nothing more than "beer". We walked a bit further, then did a u-turn and found a late night eatery. Yep! Beer! And lots of it. we were out until around 3 or so drinking and eating god knows what. I really don't remember the food.

My first introduction to a drinking game that I would grow to love over the next couple of days (the only place they didn't play it was breakfast on the last morning.)

I think it would be safe to say all of us were three sheets to the wind and I really enjoyed seeing a side of SmaZ I had never seen before-and no, I'm not talking about your chest :lol: (although that was interesting too :wink: ) Time to go get a few hours sleep. TBC.....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:06 am 

Eye candy!
Attachment:
0021.jpg
0021.jpg [ 295.42 KiB | Viewed 10977 times ]

Attachment:
0025.jpg
0025.jpg [ 297.4 KiB | Viewed 10977 times ]

Attachment:
0028.jpg
0028.jpg [ 257.26 KiB | Viewed 10977 times ]

Attachment:
0206.jpg
0206.jpg [ 301.11 KiB | Viewed 10977 times ]

Attachment:
0239.jpg
0239.jpg [ 240.2 KiB | Viewed 10977 times ]

Attachment:
0241.jpg
0241.jpg [ 265.09 KiB | Viewed 10977 times ]

Attachment:
0246.jpg
0246.jpg [ 339.68 KiB | Viewed 10977 times ]

Attachment:
0266.jpg
0266.jpg [ 326.1 KiB | Viewed 10977 times ]

Attachment:
0001.jpg
0001.jpg [ 400.51 KiB | Viewed 10977 times ]

Attachment:
0003.jpg
0003.jpg [ 270.84 KiB | Viewed 10977 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:14 am 

A bit more eye candy:
Attachment:
0008.jpg
0008.jpg [ 277.51 KiB | Viewed 10970 times ]

Attachment:
0010.jpg
0010.jpg [ 210.79 KiB | Viewed 10970 times ]

Attachment:
0014.jpg
0014.jpg [ 267.86 KiB | Viewed 10970 times ]

Attachment:
0048.jpg
0048.jpg [ 206.44 KiB | Viewed 10970 times ]

Attachment:
0050.jpg
0050.jpg [ 285.61 KiB | Viewed 10970 times ]

Attachment:
0089.jpg
0089.jpg [ 250.1 KiB | Viewed 10970 times ]

Attachment:
0091.jpg
0091.jpg [ 264.53 KiB | Viewed 10970 times ]

Attachment:
0082.jpg
0082.jpg [ 409.29 KiB | Viewed 10970 times ]

Attachment:
0093.jpg
0093.jpg [ 262.62 KiB | Viewed 10970 times ]

Attachment:
0096.jpg
0096.jpg [ 253.46 KiB | Viewed 10970 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:15 am 

what?? that 5x5x5 UUPS I mean 4x4x4!!... and the 6armed spider core puzzle thingy.. :shock: what is that ???
And correctly looking edge turn pyraminx???

amazing!!!

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:35 am 

Pretty amazing stuff ha! Ask the builders. Some are on this forum! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:35 am 

Day 2! They let me sleep in. I think SmaZ forgot to wake me up, or maybe he was that call to my room I couldn't understand and hung up on! Hung over need coffee. SmaZ to the rescue. We walked down the block and bought me 2 bottles of coffee. SmaZ got a bottle of OJ, and since that is the other hangover cure, I was glad to see he was in the same state I was.

At this point, I must confess that I spent the weekend emailing myself notes so I would be able to write about it when I got back home. Random thoughts will appear in here at times, but that's just the way it's going to have to be. the lack of internet prevented me from writing while there.

A few minutes at the competition then lunch. At this point I took photos of the puzzles that were up for the competition. Some of them that are about to be mass produced are here:
Attachment:
0116.jpg
0116.jpg [ 226.59 KiB | Viewed 10940 times ]

Attachment:
0119.jpg
0119.jpg [ 257.65 KiB | Viewed 10940 times ]

Attachment:
0118.jpg
0118.jpg [ 225.22 KiB | Viewed 10940 times ]

When we walked in, I felt like a celebrity. There were kids flocking me to get my autograph. I'm not sure why, and no one explained it to me, but I obliged all the same. :lol: :lol: AJ has some photos of this bit somewhere, but my camera was around my neck so none from me I'm afraid!

Puzzles and alcohol transcend language barriers. Chinese builders are a different breed from the KO companies. There could be something to simimultanious development. When talking with Da Yan Tao (yes-the big cigarette, and it does fit :lol: ) I realized that many of the puzzles he has been making that have shown up here were either produced around the same time, or in some cases earlier. I guess the problem is indeed language and not reading other forums often enough. Okamoto made mention of this at IPP and I want to restate the point. Another thing I discovered is these 5 people that I spent my time with are all very proud men, and were horrified to realize that we have thought they do nothing but copy what we produce. I will go out on a limb here and state that isn't the case. These gent's are very sincere and honest in their ideas. The creativity around those tables was amazing and I really don't feel there is a need to copy and claim any puzzles as their own if they know someone else created it, they often give credit to the western builder even though theirs may (or may not-as in the case of simultaneous development) have been made first. The humbleness of these men made me feel like a conceited cow! I KNOW I have a lot of toys. I KNOW I know a lot about these toys, and I'm not afraid to tell others. These guys, not so. They know, they build, they stay mum.

Found the boys. On to toys. Found a shop. Lots of Mefferts KO's. Purchased w/receipt. Good. Found some interesting v-cube KO's as well. I found it amazing that they changed the name to xcube or some such (no, I'm not telling) and even went so far as to list worldwide patent numbers on the packaging. I can't say if these are real or not because I am having a hard enough time posting this trip report.

Star! Never before seen good idea so why not more? This one was made by Yong Jin. A 3x3x3 all the same, but a different look to it. I still ask, if they can make new designs, why keep copying other peoples work! :evil: There is a difference between the builders I spent the weekend with and the owners of the KO companies. The builders have integrity. Not so for the others.

We went back to the competition for a bit, and I was very surprised to see Calvin there. The week before he told me he wasn't going. Off to lunch with him and others. Got to love lunch in China. A perpetual state of drunkenness. Toys and boys! (and beer!-have to add that to my mantra :lol: ) At lunch, Calvin and Mf8 realized I wasn't eating. Honestly, it was because I could see the oil on the food-I'm funny about that, and added to my wonky stomach from too much to drink the night before, I just couldn't eat. That was ok with me, I had beer and chris_s perpetually filling my glass-nothing wrong with a liquid lunch. Anyway, I told Calvin I had too much to drink and needed bread (the Italian in me-bread, 3 cigarettes, 2 cans of coffee, raw bacon, a bit more beer, and OJ are an excellent combined cure for a wonky stomach :lol: ) Those sweet sweet boys went out and got me bread!

Fortified with food and I was ready to go some more. When at lunch, I asked Calvin if he could get me a competition t-shirt. He went out and got me 2! one black, one white. The kids earlier gave me an idea, and I put it into effect!

Attachment:
0178.jpg
0178.jpg [ 378.56 KiB | Viewed 10929 times ]

Bao Daqing "dayantou" 包大慶
Attachment:
0183.jpg
0183.jpg [ 348.22 KiB | Viewed 10940 times ]

Liping Shang "sanshao" 商立平
Attachment:
0185.jpg
0185.jpg [ 366.67 KiB | Viewed 10940 times ]

Mr. You-witeden (and in the car, I worked out that this is a combination of two words: wit + eden-you work out the rest :lol: )
Attachment:
0188.jpg
0188.jpg [ 376.31 KiB | Viewed 10940 times ]

NO WAY!
Attachment:
0189.jpg
0189.jpg [ 373.01 KiB | Viewed 10940 times ]

Bend over baby :lol: chin_s

Now I find it very funny that none of these gents would dare go near my 'upper regions' except my two good friends that I've known for a while :lol:
Attachment:
0192.jpg
0192.jpg [ 318.89 KiB | Viewed 10940 times ]

SmaZ
Attachment:
0222.jpg
0222.jpg [ 360.65 KiB | Viewed 10940 times ]

AJ

We sat around and drank a bit more, then headed out. While sitting there, I felt funny with all these builders. I had only new mp puzzles. Great finds, but embarrassed all the same. Back to the competition area for a bit. This was a real pleasure for me because the builders opened their cabinets and let me play with their toys! HA! Eat that!

While there, I met Chris. Boy is he a tall drink of water! Funny. His mandarin is impressive. I can't believe that in only 2 years in China he is as fluent as he is. His translation services came in very handy at times. I thank you sir!

After a bit, we went off shopping some more. SmaZ, chris_s and I. More toys purchased and dropped off at the wholesalers for delivery to HK. On to dinner. Taxi wait. Feel like getting sick. Too many fags too much beer not enough food. But great fun. We got to the restraunt and were the only ones there. Were shown into a very large room with 3 tables and I was a bit confused. The little dinner turned out to be many of the people at the competition and I took loads of photos of the kids sitting around.

Chris and I discussed the KO issue in China in various aspects-not just puzzles. He showed me a card game that he played years earlier which is a direct KO of an Italian game called Bang! (sanguosha) But the difference he explained was the addition of ancient characters from Chinese History. So is it a KO? or a variation on a theme. Hmmm. same as many 3x3x3's?

Liping Shang "sanshao" 商立平 is a proud new daddy. He passed out gifts to all, and then opened up 2 bottles of Bai jiu, white booze, Chinese vodka. I had to laugh, because as he was trying to convince the kids to have a toast, he reminded me of a snake medicine man from the wild wild west! Or maybe a used car salesman! :lol:

I had a shot of this, and chin_s asked me how I felt. Fine. Why? should I feel any different? I managed 6 shots of the stuff, and if any here know it, it reminded me of soju.
Attachment:
0101.jpg
0101.jpg [ 325.76 KiB | Viewed 10940 times ]

35%. Not strong. :lol: There were no oranges passed around, so I didn't know it was time to go home. Chris told me there was a sweet desert-but being the gentleman he is, he didn't offer me one, but ate 2 by himself :lol: :lol:

The night was still young, so we headed off for another of those midnight snacks and you guessed it more beer! Chris had a date of sorts, and this is where the 'boys' really comes into play. He asked Sam to come along!!!!! WHAT? And I thought I was nuts! :lol: :lol:

During our snack time, I had a long talk with Tony 陸明達 about studies and other things, and AJ asked me what caused me to buy some custom puzzles and not others. It's hard to explain my definition of pretty, so I explained it as wow!

God knows how much we drank, but it was a lot. At some point prior to this we went back to the hotel, and they didn't want to let me in. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I'll say it was because blonde. Reminiscent of Berlin. Circa 1985. But if truth be known, in my inebriated state, I'm sure they thought I was not a registered guest, but someone being smuggled up to the room. (as If I could be smuggled)

Chris came back sans girl, but with Sam in tow. The advice given was not something I practice. But it was Bribery all the same for my choice of words.

Sometime around 4-5 we went back to the hotel to sleep it off. Yeah right! TBC......

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:13 am 

oh my dear...

an Mf8 Gigaminx. finally the day has come. I am really concidering making a baseball video with my current gigaminx now.

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:14 am 

MF8 GIGAMINX!? :shock:

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:20 am 

There is a reason I kept watching that chicken head! It did jump off the plate!
Attachment:
0200.jpg
0200.jpg [ 319.1 KiB | Viewed 10929 times ]

Some time earlier I wrote that alcohol transcends language barriers! That is so true. I have never had such a good time (well, not since IPP!) and not understood a word of what was going on around me. not that it mattered, I enjoyed the company.

Day 3. I won't even attempt to say that after 4 hours of sleep I was hung over. Instead, I'll just admit to still being drunk. (Must have been that vodka stuff :? )

Got up, ate noodles for breakfast, the boys went off to get some things from the competition while SmaZ and chin_s and I waited. We hopped in a taxi and headed out for Mr. Wong's office. Once there it was a very cool exchange of information.

For now, I give you my emailed notes. I'm dead tired.

4 hours sleep. Dead tired and still drunk. Noodles for breakfast. Chin_s,
Sweet boy. Brought me too much coffee. 6 cans.
SmaZ playing drinking games at 10 am. My head.

At cube twist warehouse/office. Rox trying to stay awake. Chin_s building fused cube. SmaZ teaching building. AJ teaching da yin Tao speed stacking. Mr. Wong teaching DDR wire disentanglement. A very puzzling morning.

A trip down to the warehouse to pick up toys. Huge boxes packed full. Too bad most are KO's. But many other originals.

Got more toys. A bag full. Finally 2x2 Escher set in black and white. A couple of others that were hiding from me for too long.

All got 2 gifts. Magic chain ring-mine was broken but we fixed it. Brain that is, not toy. And square 2.

Lunch now. Oh my god! More beer! Heaven help me. My poor stomach. I'm still drunk from last night. Doesn't even taste good today.

Today's drinking game. Rock paper scissors. These lads never stop. I don't know where they get the energy from. I certainly dint have it. And AJ just told me I did the same move each time. That's what I get for trying to use mandarin.

This weekend has been all teeth for me. Apparently I've been smiling in my sleep too. Great fun.

4 people and none of us could solve the t.

Tom sup=dick slang. 3 days to get that word.

Asked to run timer for prize give away. Fun.

Winding down. 3 builders making exchanges with each other. Very nice to watch. But the generosity was amazing. SmaZ gave Dino cylinder and two more to Chin_s. Castle cube to AJ. Luxor to Mf8.

DDR gave skewb to me and di yan tau gave new puzzle! I was so happy I gave him 3 kisses and 2 hugs.

Photos of Chris and his tea drinking smile to come tomorrow. On the phone and only one working brainstick port.

I have much much more to say, and I promise to add it tomorrow, but tomorrow is my 12 hour day, and after so little sleep these past 4 days, I really need some rest so I will leave you all with my photos.

As usual, they can be found on facebook. My apologies to those who cannot see them.
temporarily removed for checking.

And Tag away boys! you did promise me you would. I'll attempt it tomorrow, but there are at least 1500 photos on there. That will take me days to finish!

Ah yes, and AJ did get used to the nutter! :lol: :lol: Even became one himself.
Attachment:
0190.jpg
0190.jpg [ 300.02 KiB | Viewed 10927 times ]

Oh, and before I pass out, a picture of everyone I've been writing about:
Attachment:
0311.jpg
0311.jpg [ 327.06 KiB | Viewed 10922 times ]

Rox, Mr. You, ???, Da Yan Tao, SmaZ, chin_s, DDR, AJ, Sam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:11 pm 

Quote:
Hey! Did you manage to solve your "puzzle"? Or did Sam come back!

Took me a while to figure out what you meant, I'd never heard of this Sam. As for my evening, everyone went home satisfied.

Quote:
Ok, I've been in Asia for a long time, and I'm used to the environment, but I still get surprises. The hotel room had a few for me. First the bathroom:
the second was the bed. I swear the matress was nothing more than a wooden board! And of course, there was this:

Clearly you haven't been around China enough. That hotel is better than my apartment!

He is quite proud of the mechanism in the last picture in that first long post.

Quote:
I guess the problem is indeed language and not reading other forums often enough.

There's a big cultural gap, and the lack of communication has been something I've found disappointing for years. It's improving, though.

Quote:
He showed me a card game that he played years earlier which is a direct KO of an Italian game called Bang! (sanguosha) But the difference he explained was the addition of ancient characters from Chinese History. So is it a KO? or a variation on a theme. Hmmm. same as many 3x3x3's?

Bang!
三国杀
As far as the game mechanics, it's a straight up copy, but I think it's more interesting to play. This game made me totally rethink the concept of 'knockoffs'.

Quote:
Chris had a date of sorts, and this is where the 'boys' really comes into play. He asked Sam to come along!!!!! WHAT? And I thought I was nuts!

That's not how it went at all!

Quote:
I'm sure they thought I was not a registered guest, but someone being smuggled up to the room. (as If I could be smuggled)

I got in the next night huddled in the middle of a big group of people. Gotta love how for the events that draw big foreign crowds, they make it terrible for foreigners (or in your case 'foreigners') to do anything.

Quote:
I wrote that alcohol transcends language barriers!

No, I said that! That's a knockoff quote! You don't deserve your green!

Quote:
Rox, Mr. You, ???, Da Yan Tao, SmaZ, chin_s, DDR, AJ, Sam

The ??? is Guozheng Yu, otherwise known as 木瓜.

I'm disappointed, your comments weren't nearly as inflammatory as you promised they would be.

Today, while I woke up at five to go to the airport, Ming (Sam?) got to sleep in, then go meet Leslie Le, of this forum, and the (one of a kind?) 12x12x12 cube.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:15 pm 

Woo! mf8 Gigaminx! When are they expected to be released, Rox?

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:40 pm 

Mf8 Gigaminx....coming soon :lol: I heard that so often this weekend it wasn't funny. the posted pictures are the only ones I was allowed to post. Others to follow....but not from me.

:lol: Chris. I'm not done posting yet. But my poor body was finished last night. More to come sometime today!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:12 pm 

I am so glad that I waited to get a gigaminx, because now I don't have to use a c4u brand, and get a high quality mf8 one as well as an mf8 teraminx.

That's what she said :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:13 pm 

Everybody's been so stunned at the mf8 Gigaminx that no one has mentioned the Crazy Megaminx. :shock:

Great pics and commentary!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:17 pm 

katsmom
sorry, no gift to you, :cry:

My handmade puzzle all share to chinese MOD cube fans.

my website: http://www.iq-puzzle.com.hk/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:31 pm 

Ah SmaZ, the whole trip was a gift for me. Your friendship is gift enough! Who needs more. :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:25 am 

blizzard_kb wrote:
Everybody's been so stunned at the mf8 Gigaminx that no one has mentioned the Crazy Megaminx!

Remember that it's pretty certainly a Crazy Megaminx Plus. I personally don't like that, but I'll probably still get it. I find it funny how he wants all of his designs unique, yet his Magic Octahedron and Magic Jewel are mass prodcued, and they're certainly not unique.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:09 am 

Well, they used a variant mechanism, and besides, they were old and out of print. So I'm thankful for them. :P

Rox, do you have any more info on that edge-turning thing? Who made it?

(also yaaaaaaaaaaaaay mf8 gigaminx!!!!111one)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:15 am 

The crazy Megaminx is surdetly GREAT news too! :) But come on, a decent Gigaminx! thats just huuuge

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:50 am 

Bao Daqing "dayantou" 包大慶 made it. He told me it is being made and will be released "soon" whatever that means :lol: funny thing, I was so enthralled by it I forgot to ask what it was called.

Attachment:
0178.jpg
0178.jpg [ 238.58 KiB | Viewed 10759 times ]

Attachment:
0180.jpg
0180.jpg [ 314.59 KiB | Viewed 10759 times ]

Attachment:
0181.jpg
0181.jpg [ 370.65 KiB | Viewed 10759 times ]

Attachment:
0182.jpg
0182.jpg [ 346.56 KiB | Viewed 10759 times ]

Attachment:
0188.jpg
0188.jpg [ 261.23 KiB | Viewed 10759 times ]

Attachment:
0062.jpg
0062.jpg [ 280.31 KiB | Viewed 10759 times ]

and my favorite shot: the eyes
Attachment:
0199.jpg
0199.jpg [ 317.35 KiB | Viewed 10759 times ]

I was so surprised when he gave it to me at the end of the weekend. I really didn't expect it. I told SmaZ that I wanted one when they came out and he had to get me one. Same for the Mf8 Gigaminx and the 3 other Mf8 puzzles. I knew I would get one eventually. His generosity just amazed me. It was a total surprise to say the least! Lucky lucky girl I am.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:01 am 

Rox that puzzle looks amazing! And handcrafted? even crazier! I have no idea what I am looking at actually. Is it the same shape as the Jewel?
Lucky you are indeed!!

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:19 am 

That doesn't look hand crafted. It looks like it is injection molded. It is probably a production prototype.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:26 am 

Bingo! You get 5 points! It's even got the dirty bits on it from the previous plastic that was in the machines.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:55 am 

hehe ok! that would also be truly amazing if it was built by hand.. I wonder if it could be transformed into an Octahedron?

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:51 am 

So many pics and some many puzzles in so little time!

Now I am convinced that you are using my time machine....
Oh wait, you have been using Michael's!!!

:lol:

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:52 am 

:lol: :lol: Nope, this weekend I was using AJ!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:17 am 

I have been beyond by AJ..... :cry:

Last edited by SmaZ on Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:22 am 

Day 3.
There was a competition? Really? I guess I missed that part. :lol: :lol:

You have all read my notes so I won't bore you with the details.
I want to finish this up by adding a few things that I didn't comment on.
When I agreed to go with SmaZ I thought it was only going to be a competition. Since I'm not really into speed solving, I figured I would be bored, but would go along for the ride because I knew he would take me toy shopping :lol: :lol: What he didn't tell me is that he (and the others I spent the weekend with) had been planning to meet up for a long time. Apparently they had never met in person before so this was as much an experience for them as it was for me. I'm so pleased they let me join in the festivities. It was a real honor.
At the end of the day (the photo of all of us) was a photo of the builders who were there. Now I know you are all going to say I'm not a builder, but you forget eve! :lol: :lol:

After we had lunch, we returned to the competition venue to clean up and to get the puzzles. AJ and DDR both signed the hex diamond for me. DDR designed it and AJ built it for me. AJ bless him, also gave me a bump 2x2x2 that he made. It can be solved as a cube shape or by color. I also finally picked up my master axis from AJ. The poor boy told me it took him something like 2 months to build.

In addition to the signing of the hex diamond, DDR presented me with a Hexagonal skewb prism. I thought it a testament to his humbleness that he warned me the stickers were old. My reply was simply that it would be kept on my 'autograph shelf' (which incidentally is getting pretty full now).

I've already shown you the wonderful puzzle given to me Da Yan Tao, and can't begin to thank him enough for it. I told him that if he wasn't already producing it I would take it to Meffert's. Yes, It's that good! (I'm not often to show Uwe puzzles I like, and even less often to recommend he make one)

Other "cool puzzles" I picked up are a signed (by Da Yan Tao) clear 3x3x3, the New witeden 3x3x3 signed by Mr. You, that illusive 2x2x2 hexagon, a super square 2 and magic necklace from Mr. Wong. The silver egg (potato) from Mr. You's partner. A metal take-apart puzzle from chin_s, and a new apple puzzle that he has made with an illusion ring inside. (He STOLE my heart this weekend-puzzles and jewelry! What a man! and I had never even met him before.)

A key chain that says love on it from Liping Shang. And a boat load of others from the shops we visited.
SmaZ says they should arrive tomorrow or Friday so watch for my october album on facebook and my "what Rox found this week" thread here. Lots and lots of toys inside!

Dinner was such a sad event for me. I was so tempted to stay one more night and go into work smelling like a brewery, but sadly professionalism won out. I felt as unhappy as I did when I left all the wonderful people in July after IPP.

SmaZ was a true gentleman. He knew I was afraid to travel back to HK alone, and even when we realized there were not many people going and I would be perfectly safe, he still came with me. I did tell him to stay one more night and knew I would be ok, but he said a promise is a promise. What better friend could a girl ask for.

On the train we talked about the guys and what it meant to him to meet them. Another thing I learned on the train is that this was the first time custom puzzles have ever been shown in China. I feel honored to have been able to take a part in that. I teased SmaZ that he should have told me and I would have brought along Eve and a few other disasters I've built.

At the end of the lunch on the final day SmaZ wrote everyones name on a piece of paper, and I couldn't work out what he was doing (he was speaking mandarin then, not cantonese. Well, it turns out that it was a puzzle give away. He gave a puzzle to each of the builders that were there (minus moi-but as I said, being able to take part and his friendship are more than enough for me :D ) He was very pleased with who got what. All turned out well in the end for everyone involved.

When we were discussing the puzzles given out, Smaz and I both agreed that the best gift I got was the apple with the ring inside. (not that any of the others are unimportant to me. I cherish all puzzle gifts from friends) But that particular one, was one of a kind. chin_s told us he only had 2 rings, and he kept the other for himself. It is one I will treasure forever. (A word of advice though chin_s-never tell a girl how much the jewelery cost :lol: :lol: even if it is expensive, it cheapens it) It hasn't come off my finger since I got it, except for me to show others how cool it is. All who have seen it have asked where to get one, and when I explain how I got it they have all told me how fortunate I am. (as if I need telling)

SmaZ and I made a promise to chin_s that we will come see him in Shanghai this coming December. Maybe meet the infamous James while we are at it. I've looked into ticket prices, hotels, flight times and all that....I'm not going to miss it for the world. I can't wait to go have fun again, and maybe see some of chin_s' other creations first hand.

I had planned on posting some rather unfriendly thoughts during this trip report, but since that's not really in my nature I'll leave them out.

I will say that DDR, Da Yan Tao, AJ, and chin_s are all going to give you guys a run for your money if they keep building. I'd rank them all right up there with the top builders we all know and love so much here. The most amazing part of all this is that they build all these puzzles by hand. there is no computer software involved. Now if that isn't the mark of a good builder, I don't know what is.

I'll end by saying I LOOOOOOOOOOVE YOU TOM! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:41 am 

Day 3 no competition,
only gathering, the 12x12x12 maker was coming.
I missed too. :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:45 am 

SmaZ wrote:
the 12x12x12 maker was coming. I missed too. :cry: :cry:

YOU SHOULD HAVE TOLD ME!! I would have been unprofessional to play with that toy! :lol: :lol:

*I will open the face book photos and put the links back up as soon as SmaZ gives me permission to. There are a few people who don't want to be seen, and I don't recognize all of them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:27 am 

katsmom wrote:
SmaZ wrote:
the 12x12x12 maker was coming. I missed too. :cry: :cry:

YOU SHOULD HAVE TOLD ME!! I would have been unprofessional to play with that toy! :lol: :lol:

*I will open the face book photos and put the links back up as soon as SmaZ gives me permission to. There are a few people who don't want to be seen, and I don't recognize all of them.

I don't know he coming :|

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:22 pm 

Ok, all photos checked. I can open them up again. So here they are:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2067232&id=1138673266&l=e3bd4e592e
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2067228&id=1138673266&l=1650aec514
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2067219&id=1138673266&l=9f63f39b65
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2067215&id=1138673266&l=f9f59775de
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2067209&id=1138673266&l=a2611aeb0c
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2067208&id=1138673266&l=696856f88a
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2067206&id=1138673266&l=d085a78e15
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2067204&id=1138673266&l=6097ae4473

Get tagging fellows :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:40 pm 

Oh!!!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3 ... =fbx_album

Were can we find that 3x3x3 Star?

banderes de blau jo som balear
jo som de Mallorca català insular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:02 pm 

:lol: :lol: a shop on the side of the road just around the corner from where we had lunch and bought some of the other toys I got in Guangzhou, China. :lol: :lol: :lol:

In other words, I don't know. Lucky find. Only one place had them...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:38 pm 

Getting to play with likely the world's first 8x8 cube, or at least the world's first hand-made 8x8 cube, was a treat. The turning and stability are quite good, particularly given the number of pieces involved. Truly a fantastic build.

Rubik's chessboard
Some internals

I remember when it was first posted here, someone said about his 6x6 that it must have been printed. I asked, and assuming we both understood the other's meaning, his 6x6 was hand built. Very impressive.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:45 pm 

katsmom wrote:
:lol: :lol: a shop on the side of the road just around the corner from where we had lunch and bought some of the other toys I got in Guangzhou, China. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's made by YJ so hopefully we'll see them around lightake soon...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:49 pm 

ENCuber wrote:
katsmom wrote:

It's made by YJ so hopefully we'll see them around lightake soon...

They are on lightake, but I can't really post a link. They're not too hard to find though. :D

Alex

YouTube Account: Cubiksrube113

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:10 pm 

WOW!!! Thanks katsmom for the point to this thread from here.

Sigurd wrote:
And correctly looking edge turn pyraminx???

I didn't know about this puzzle either till being pointed here. Is that edge turn pyraminx going to be a mass produced puzzle? It looks GREAT!!! It deserves a thread all its own be it mass produced or not. And I'm still reading this thread so sorry if I missed the details of this puzzle.

Carl