Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Manufactured or custom made?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 10:44 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1699568324

Post subject: square-1 parts, I think
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 10:52 pm 
I believe this is the complement to the star puzzle that puzzlemeister recently auctioned, made from the larger pieces of a square-1. The small wedge pieces were used to make this one. I think the center layer is a reshaping of the 2 piece center layer of the square-1, and will only allow turning about the one axis. I am going to try to make a star and one of these wedges when I get some spare square-1 puzzles to play with.

Post subject: We need this teammate in our gang !
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 12:32 am 

Puzzlemeister1 has made several very nice and fully functional puzzle variations
they pop-up every now & then on eBay.

Whoever Puzzlemeister is, this person has several talents, for inventing new designs, and building them.
I wonder if he or she knows about Twisty Megasite ? (I guess not ).

We could certainly obtain valuable information on how to build theses special puzzles
what materials, mechanisms, special parts, etc. are used to make such and such puzzle,
how long does it take, and so many other questions.
...then again, maybe this person prefers to keep this knowledge to him/herself ?

It would be interesting to see all of the puzzles he/she has made over the years,
theses could eventually end up in the Virtual Puzzle Museum future update...

Anyone know who puzzlemeister1 is ?

Michael
:wink:

Post subject: Friday evening end time...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 2:46 am 

That has to be the worst one of all... during normal "awake" hours at least. I wonder if my bids will survive based on that alone?!

Sandy

Post subject: Thank Goodness for Auction Bidding Services
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 3:53 am 

There has been several times when an auction ended when I have been either away from my computer or sound asleep. Thanks to a suggestion by Tyler, a certain auction bidding service has won me 2 auctions. Sadly, not Rubik related.

Post subject: Middle layer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 4:46 am 

I too was thinking of making one of these. However, the middle layer baffels me. If you were to make a ridge that the wedges sit and glide on like the top and bottom layers, when you rotate the puzzle 180 degrees on its one axis, half of the ridge becomes inverted. Therefore you wouldn't be able to rotate (spin horizontal) the middle row unless the puzzle is back in its original position. I just destroyed a square-1 to see the internal mechanism. It definetly takes some reconstructing to make something like this.

Post subject: Rounded/Angled Square-1
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 12:32 am 

Just send him a message through eBay. Tell him he's a topic of conversation. Surely he'll stop by out of curiosity alone.

About the puzzle, has anyone else noticed that there seem to be 3 colours to the triangular stickers? It looks like there are 12 gold, 4 yellow, and 8 white (yellow and white... Square-1 wedge colours... maybe the gold appearance is just a reflection/lighting issue). Also, notice that fact that the middle layer is shorter than the others (ala Square-1 again).

I'm betting on one of two things:

1) This is a re-shaped Square-1, and functions exactly the same way, although why he wouldn't display that in the picture is beyond me. If this is the case, there are only two distinct pieces in the middle layer, and 8 in each of the top and bottom layers. All you would have to do to create this from a Square-1 is to create an angle on each of the 8 corner pieces, and reshape the middle. (And when I say "all you would have to do", I don't mean that it would be easy... only that it is a delightfully simple design! I am jealous of the designer's creativity and ingenuity.)

I believe this is exactly what we're looking at. The fact that the yellow stickers are in groups of two in the first picture only supports this theory. The one problem is the question of why he didn't photograph the vertical cut in mid-twist. Perhaps he was hoping we'd make more optimistic assumptions?

Either that or:

2) It doesn't have a vertical cut at all, and only the two horizontal cuts function as in the second picture. A "puzzle" like that would be so trivial, it wouldn't warrant the time involved... especially seeing as creating it from a Square-1 above is so obvious once you've hit on the idea.

If this thing actually functions through all of it's six vertical cuts, it would be amazing, and easily triple the selling price. Failing to mention a detail like that would be a costly mistake. The guy is not stupid.

It's a rounded Square-1. That said, I think it's a brilliant design... and will be going down to the puzzle store to pick up a few Square-1's (only $10 CAN!) to try this thing out.

Sandy

Post subject: Puzzlemeister1 is Wynn Walker
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 12:58 am 

I have had many discussions with the Puzzlemeister1. Her name is Wynn. At least I think its a gal. I have been wrong before (sorry Sandy). She has been a puzzle collector for about the past 2 years and over the last year has been making a few puzzles on her own. A lot of trial and error she says. She has for the most part answered my detailed questions however, I still can't get a clear answer on the middle layer of the wedge puzzle. She says she has visited this site before. Contact her if you have questions.

Post subject: Re: Friday evening end time...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 2:46 am 

wbat do you mean by your bids surviving?
if its the worst time, then, wouldnt no one be on to bid? or do you mean the worst time for u

Post subject: Re: Thank Goodness for Auction Bidding Services
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 3:53 am 

that certain auction bidding service won me my dogic

Post subject: Middle layer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 4:46 am 

I would guess the easiest way to make the middle layer would be to use Millaput to build the parts up, then grind or sand away the excess. This one is on my "to do" list.

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 9:27 am 
Hello Folks,

Thanks for your interest in my puzzles. I am new to this discussion forum and am really amazed to find the number of people that are as interested in these puzzles as I am. I have been an avid fan of rubiks type puzzles ever since they first came out in the early eighties. I played with them all of the time when I was a kid and upon discovering the puzzles on ebay a couple of years ago restarted my collection. At that time I had an extremely dull job. To keep from getting completely bored, I surfed a few puzzle museum websites, and fell in love with a 5x3x3 and figured out how to make one. Then I kept on hacking... A lot of fun.

If you are ever interested in trading let me know. I am in search of Dino cube and currently have one Dogic that I could trade.

Cheers,

Wynn (Puzzlemeister1)

Post subject: I would like to trade with you
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 12:37 pm 

What do you want to trafe for? I like your puzzles very much. Here's my e-mail address djgrew75@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: I would like to trade with you
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 8:39 am 
I am especially interested in rare puzzles such as the Dino cube and Rubiks Rabbits. I am also interested in those rainbow cubes as well as other puzzles. What do you have to trade?

Post subject: what i have 2 trade
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 8:39 am 

This is what i have 2 trade EXTENDED TILE CUBE
2 costum cubes
2 Rainbow Cubes
Rubik's Revenge
the old IMPOSSIBALL (with the white)
and some more stuff so please e-mail me at this address for the full list. Thank You
djgrew75@hotmail.com