Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dino Skewb
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:06 am 

ok, so yesterday I finally finished dying and stickering my Dino Skewb (Along with my Professor Pyraminx (Thanks Dr. Sticker). So now I can get to solve it.

Or at least try.. I havent had any success yet! I am thinking of some way to reduce it. but no luck.

Now, I dont want any solution or any hints (maybe I do? :) ) yet! I wanna work something out myself.

So who owns one? and what are your experiences with it? and can you give any hints that doesnt give too much away?

Sigurd

ps. I think this might be mu toughest puzzle (along with the professor pyraminx :) ) yet! (I thought the same about my face turn octahedron until I solved it tho)

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

Post subject: Re: Dino Skewb
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:24 pm 

Konrad has one and he told me solving it was very difficult indeed. But I guess he would rather tell you about that himself.

Good to hear you finished building it. I'd love to see a picture of your one!

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:49 pm 

Doubleyou wrote:
So who owns one? and what are your experiences with it? and can you give any hints that doesnt give too much away?

Sigurd

ps. I think this might be mu toughest puzzle (along with the professor pyraminx :) ) yet! (I thought the same about my face turn octahedron until I solved it tho)
I had mentioned in the rare puzzles thread, that I'm probably the only person in the universe who owns them both, a Dino Skewb and a Master Skewb. You had replied, that you will join me soon. Do you remember?
Congratulations to the Dino Skewb :D
What about the Master Skewb?

Regarding the turning: Tom had lubricated it already and it turned quite OK out of the box.
I've used my favourite silicone spray a few more times. Now it turns very well.

Pictures would be nice.

Hint:
[I have started with a strategy where I had solved the corners first and after that the centres.
Now I'm using a reduction method, where I build the complete edges of the Dino first (two corners + two centres of the Dino Skewb). Then I solve the Dino with Dino moves only. That's the fun part.
That way, I have more freedom and need less - sometimes confusing - setup moves.

]

Konrad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:40 pm 

Konrad, yes! I look very much forward to having both those puzzles. Only difference will be that my Master Skewb will be correctly proportioned :P
Tom, I will post pictures of my dino skewb soon! I am very very pleased with this puzzle. Its so stable and well designed. It has little troubles with the dino cut, but it all works out with a little time. I am surprised how well my dying turned out! It was my first ever and I was cuite nervous as I was dying two puzzles with a value of 700+ dollar.. wow

thee came out completely black! And that surprised me a little, cuz most pictures I have seen on dyed WSF looks like dark grey. but no! real black it is!

Thanks for the tip! I will see what I can do. It will take some time before this baby gets solved.. I have solved up to one half of the puzzle with basic fail and learn, pretty fun. But I suspedted I needed some kind of reduction for solving the whole thing.

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:20 pm 

btw
thanks for the tip! I have now solved all edge pairs. the put them in their correct places. would it help to split them up like skewb corners, helping me setting up for those centers?

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel