Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Really Annoying Solves
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:51 pm 

Hi everyone,

A few minutes ago I was doing a few 4x4x4 solves. Whilst solving one of them, it hit me that this was easily going to be under a minute, (and I've never got sub 1 before). I only had to do 4 or 5 edge pairs, (yes, I do mean very lucky) and then I got to solving it as a 3x3x3 at around 30 seconds, although usually it's 45 - 50 seconds. So I solved it like a 3x3x3, no parity thank God, and stop the timer at 51:09 seconds. YAY!!!!!!! New personal best!!!! Or so I had thought. As I picked up the cube and turned it around to the correct position to start the next solve...

Yep. Parity. On the two edges behind where I could see. :evil: :evil: :evil: So no sub minute after all.

Anyways, have any of you had any really annoying solves? Or got close to a target and missed it by a few milliseconds or so? Please tell me below.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

Post subject: Re: Really Annoying Solves
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:29 pm 

it's always super annoying getting like 1/100th of second over your record, I've done that and similar things. :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:14 pm 

Since I don't have many sequences for different scenarios of the 3x3x3 top layer, because I am not a speedcuber, getting good times on my 5x5x5, which is my favorite physical puzzle as far as solving is concerned, is often ruined by the 3x3x3 solve in the end. Centers and edges can always be solved fast by concentration and seeing pieces quickly. I don't really know if the latter is considered as luck too, but I hate nothing more than getting centers and edges of my 5x5x5 in about 1:30 mins and than having a 3x3x3 solve on the 5x5x5 cube that exceeds even one whole minute because placing edges requires two sequences, as well as orientation and/or positioning of the stupid corners in the end. It seems that you can never get fast on just everything in one solve, even if you solve the cube 100 times on one day for a whole weekend. :? :x :-P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:27 pm 

The most annoying solve I can think of is when you're solving a high-order puzzle and you're breaking your time record, and then something pops in the middle of an algo and half the puzzle subsequently crumbles. Arggh! Or when several pieces pop and it takes you 5 mins to remember which piece goes where, and then you forgot how far you are in your algo so you have to restart from scratch. (The former happened to me in my early days of solving the V6 --- I got so upset with it I just disassembled the entire puzzle and reassembled it. The latter happened several times with the V7 and just now with the teraminx... fortunately I was only doing simple algos on the teraminx so I didn't have to completely start from scratch, just repair a few messed up edges.)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:37 pm 

Not really an annoying solve, but more of an average:

Average: 12:70 seconds

Best time: 11.79
Worst time: 15.07

Times: 11.79, 12.23, 15.07, 12.72, 13.15

I was so close from beating my PB average! if I just had 0.05 off, I would have broke it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:04 pm 

I thought I beat my 5x5x5 PB the other day, but then I realized that I had not paired all the edges correctly :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:17 pm 

Finishing Okamoto's Latch Cube was really, really annoying! It was introduced at IPP30, and a bunch of us figured it was essentially impossible to solve. But a few ideas on an approach were floating around. I decided to give it a serious try. As the conference wound down, I was getting closer and closer. Finally, during the awards banquet, I figured out the last transform I needed. I was one transform away from solving it... and I messed it up. Not totally, but I had to redo a few stages. While trying hard (unsuccessfully) not to smear Mr. Okamoto's signature. And this happened no less than three more times. Every time I was *this* close, I would mess it up. The problem is, my transforms were very long, nested sequences, very easy to screw up. And they had to be mirrored, reversed, etc.

Anyway I finally solved it, shortly after the banquet (last event of IPP30) ended. Also shortly after Mr. Okamoto had left. But I did show it to him almost solved.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:25 pm 

This has happened to me when I was doing a 2-7 relay and I had never gotten sub 20 and I finished and the time was 18:53.XX and when I looked at my 6x6 I had the PLL parody

Pyraminx:0:02.45/0:06.81/07.50
Really want a Master and Elite Pyraminx, a Tuttminx... Oh wait... I can has that now!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:02 pm 

You know what's even more annoying? I tend to do my best solves when I don't have a watch. I must've broken 1:10 on my 4x4x4 at least 5 times, but without a watch I'll never know. When I have my watch, I'll sometimes not start it because the buttons aren't very good, and can take a second or two stopping it. I've gotten as lucky as OLL/PLL skip on my 4x4x4, with extremely easy edges. But my watch wasn't there to tell me I've finally gotten my goal. 1:15 is my current personal record on time. I believe I've gotten either sub-1 or just above 1.

Another one is cubing in public. I hate solving my 7x7x7 in public because it'll always be a quick solve up to the end when the piece pops and it's unfindable. Or even worse, when someone thinks they're funny by taking it. (One way I've learned to cope with this- the corner of a Rubik's Cube, though a broad point, can hurt quite a bit.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:59 am 

Speaking about poppy 7x7 solves. I have a good example of a really annoying solve. I solved it on the bus home from school last year, and it popped and out in the "hallway" of the bus. So I had to run get it before it got lost. And people laughed so hard at me, because to get the piece I had to crawl on the floor. Must have looked so stupid :lol: I at least got my piece back!

Unless my Gigaminx cap, which I lost somewhere in Sydney in April. That was so annoying, as I didn't realize I had lost it before a day later. And by then I'd been a few to many places, so I have no idea where and how I lost it. So a piece of my Gigaminx still remains in Australia.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:30 am 

I had an amazing OH solve going, well amazing for me so up to PLL at around 30 seconds and half way through the PLL i had a mental blank and forgot completely where i was.
Katten wrote:
my Gigaminx cap, which I lost somewhere in Sydney in April.
Thankfully my gigaminx never pops, not even the centre caps, but i have had solves where those small stickers just fall off hence why i haven't solved my gigaminx in so long. Also i live right near Sydney and go there often, perhaps i'll find your centre cap one day :lol:

3x3x3 :20.7 seconds, 5x5x5 2:33, gigaminx 16:40, 7x7x7 9:48, pyraminx crystal 3:42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:40 am 

Elwyn wrote:
Also i live right near Sydney and go there often, perhaps i'll find your centre cap one day
Let me know if you find a purple Gigaminx cap either in Cherrybrook, Pennant Hills station or by the UTS building by Central station :lol: I reckon that's got to be one of the places I lost it. Also, the tiny edge stickers fly off my Gigaminx a lot too. I almost lost a few of those down in Sydney as well :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:40 am 

quickfur wrote:
The most annoying solve I can think of is when you're solving a high-order puzzle and you're breaking your time record, and then something pops in the middle of an algo and half the puzzle subsequently crumbles. Arggh! Or when several pieces pop and it takes you 5 mins to remember which piece goes where, and then you forgot how far you are in your algo so you have to restart from scratch. (The former happened to me in my early days of solving the V6 --- I got so upset with it I just disassembled the entire puzzle and reassembled it. The latter happened several times with the V7 and just now with the teraminx... fortunately I was only doing simple algos on the teraminx so I didn't have to completely start from scratch, just repair a few messed up edges.)

The Teraminx can pop???? I bet yours is C4U, because I have an Mf8 and it never pops, even when I do fingertricks on it (yes is spins well!!!)

:D Greg :D

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:56 am 

Katten wrote:
by the UTS building by Central station
Hahaha i was actually right outside that building on the weekend and i'm thinking of transferring to UTS next year, no gigaminx cap though.

3x3x3 :20.7 seconds, 5x5x5 2:33, gigaminx 16:40, 7x7x7 9:48, pyraminx crystal 3:42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:56 pm 

RubixFreakGreg wrote:
The Teraminx can pop???? I bet yours is C4U, because I have an Mf8 and it never pops, even when I do fingertricks on it (yes is spins well!!!)

I've got a MF8 Teraminx and it pops occasionally. I finger trick it too. What's also annoying is that internal piece of the V-6 that always pops out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:05 pm 

Rentlix wrote:
RubixFreakGreg wrote:

I've got a MF8 Teraminx and it pops occasionally. I finger trick it too. What's also annoying is that internal piece of the V-6 that always pops out.

That why you do the Me MY SElf And Pi Mod

Pyraminx:0:02.45/0:06.81/07.50
Really want a Master and Elite Pyraminx, a Tuttminx... Oh wait... I can has that now!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:27 pm 

My Minx-Mod is far more effective than Pi's. His makes it loose- which can be done by just loosening the tension. Mine makes it cut corners and everything. It is well worth it on the gigaminx, though my teraminx is just like a V-Cube 7 in turning quality so it wouldn't be worth the time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:36 am 

I was so close to beating me PB on the 4x4x4 which I got yesterday, of 59:30 seconds, but due to me panicking, I got 59:31, 0.01 second off!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:42 am 

Katten wrote:
Speaking about poppy 7x7 solves. I have a good example of a really annoying solve. I solved it on the bus home from school last year, and it popped and out in the "hallway" of the bus. So I had to run get it before it got lost. And people laughed so hard at me, because to get the piece I had to crawl on the floor. Must have looked so stupid :lol: I at least got my piece back!

Unless my Gigaminx cap, which I lost somewhere in Sydney in April. That was so annoying, as I didn't realize I had lost it before a day later. And by then I'd been a few to many places, so I have no idea where and how I lost it. So a piece of my Gigaminx still remains in Australia.

I popped a 7x7x7 piece on the bus too but I couldn't fnd mine for the life of me! I even asked the help of people in the nearby seats for help looking but no luck. I swear there was a mini-wormhole on that bus somewhere :evil:

But luckily I contacted Mr. Verdes' company and asked if it was possibile for them to send me a replacement piece. They sent me two at no charge. Not even shipping! :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:26 am 

Ever messed up the centers during edge pairing on the 6x6? :lol:

It ain't fun.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:25 pm 

:evil: So close to beating my 3x3x3 PB average of five. Instead I got 12:80 seconds! Most of the solves were sub 13, except for a low 13, but then on the last solve I got a 20 second time! I hate it when that happens!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:46 pm 

I don't have any specific examples of this, but I really hate when a piece pops out of the cube in the middle of a long algorithm. Since I tend to lose my place, I end up having to restart the whole puzzle. This is probably why my best time is still just over a minute...

3x3x3: 00:40
Square-1: 01:56.70

My Collection
DIY TypeC (1)
DaYan ZhanChi (1)
GhostHand 2 (1)
MF8 Square-1 (1)
V-Cube 5 (1)
V-Cube 6 (1)
V-Cube 7 (1)

My Wishlist / Plan-To-Buy list:
A 4x4x4 cube (Not sure which kind, PM suggestions?)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:23 pm 

Cheese Block. The bandaging is unpleasant to deal with because you have to line everything up before making a 2x2 turn. The one that I played with was a bit stiff, so that made the wheels hard to turn. It took 11 mins for a 2 min solve.

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:27 pm 

quicksolver wrote:
Cheese Block. The bandaging is unpleasant to deal with because you have to line everything up before making a 2x2 turn. The one that I played with was a bit stiff, so that made the wheels hard to turn. It took 11 mins for a 2 min solve.

Sort of like using the Rubik's 5x5x5..... I'm glad I got rid of my last one.

The FF-Siamese 2x2x2 is really getting on my nerves. Parity case! And solving this thing is unlike any other puzzle I've ever tried.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:00 pm 

Annoying 2x2x2 average of five. Started off good, but by the end it was utterly rubbish.

Average: 5:33 seconds

Times: 2.32, 1.28, 6.18, 7.49, 8.60

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:17 pm 

:evil: I'm so annoyed. I was doing a 3x3x3 solve and it was going to be sub 10, but because the computer is laggy and unresponsive, the timer didn't stop until 11:02. :evil:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:06 am 

I'm so mad! I was doing a 3x3x3 solve, and it was a great solve. As I realised I had a PLL skip, I turned the cube and stopped the timer at 10:09 seconds. So close to sub 10!!! :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:46 pm 

:evil: Exact same thing as yesterday. I was doing a 3x3x3 solve, realised I had a PLL skip, and stopped the timer. This time it was 10:02 seconds. I'm so mad!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:16 pm 

I hate it to solve a Overlapping Cube xD it everytimes squezes my brain :/ This huge amount of parity is just crap and hell xD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:20 am 

Exact same thing as before: had a PLL skip, stopped the timer, at 10:02 seconds. I want a sub 10! :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:16 pm 

Kind of fits this topic:
I was just scrambling my 3x3 and when I started to inspect, I realized that on white, none of the edges were solved, and ALL of the corners were correctly permuted, oriented AND aligned with their centers!
Odds?
EDIT: the reason this was annoying is that it made the cross and f2l very difficult and lengthly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:18 pm 

Typical. You start with an amazing average, but then it just gets worse and worse:

Average: 14.47 seconds

Fastest time: 9.11 seconds (PB full step 3x3x3 solve!)
Slowest time: 18.19 seconds

Times: 11.98, 13.48, (9.11), 14.44, 13.25, 14.58, (18.19), 15.42, 13.83, 16.50, 14.81, 16.45

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:50 pm 

I recently got 5:11 on the 6x6, on of my best times ever (I believe I got 4:54 once), only to find out I forgot to switch the blue and orange LL quedges (OLL parity). :?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:12 pm 

Im nowhere near as fast as you guys, my PB on 3x3 is 52 seconds by memory, and I mostly (90+% of time) get about 1min30, but for me, this was REALLY annoying:

I had been solving my 3x3. Had beaten my PB for sure (30secs ish) and the damn thing popped. EVERYWHERE. I still can't find a corner piece as well. ah well, C'est la vie :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:00 am 

let see i was speedsolving my mastermorphix, then somehow my pinky got caught between the egde piece and the other edge piece OWWWWWW kablam it drops on the ground and explodes into million pieces.

Check out my Shapeways shop!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:48 am 

rubikcollector123 wrote:
explodes into million pieces.

Wow. Your MasterMorphinx has quite a complex mechanism. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:18 am 

SEBUVER wrote:
rubikcollector123 wrote:
explodes into million pieces.

Wow. Your MasterMorphinx has quite a complex mechanism. :lol: :lol:

not really a million but the edges did fly off ( i was in a 45 degree turn) and the caps all went out.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:45 pm 

Here's one I had (I wasn't timing though): finished F2L and realised I had an OLL skip (nice!), then I noticed the N-perm (one of my least favourite PLLs, like most people).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:36 am 

My V6 exploded again. :evil:

The odd thing is, I've lubed it with CRC several times and broken it in, and yet it seems to have gone back exactly the way it was out of the box (e.g., outer layers click 4 times a quarter turn).

At least I'm getting a new A V tomorrow. :D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:48 am 

Have you tried the PiMod? My V-6 is the one he modded in his first V6 Mod tutorial, so I know first-hand that it works (and it still does after a year (maybe 2?)). It never explodes on me and it's perfect for speedsolving without lubricant.

What's really annoying for me is doing Edge Matching on the bigger cubes and accidentally correcting a face the wrong way once and messing up all the center-pieces.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:34 am 

I'm considering it, but currently I have no super glue, and I'm trying to see how it breaks in first.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:08 pm 

lesse here
aah yes
before i broke one minute (quite a while ago) i was solving and, no joke, i got a 1:00.10

I'm a youtuber =D

hey look ^

Rest In Peace Frank

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:18 am 

I think I can justify bumping this thread, seeing as it's one of those threads where posts can come along at any point (like the accomplishments thread), and I do have a really annoying solve.

Yesterday I got an LL skip on the cube. The solve would have been about five seconds, had I realised the skipped. My fingers slipped, meaning I got a DNF. :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:23 am 

don't you hate it when your hands become sweaty, and the cube becomes hard to hold?