Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Your beer of choice
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:12 pm 

Hi all,

I was browsing through the forum this evening while enjoying a cold Killian's Red beer. And I started to wonder if there are other beer drinkers on this forum. I discovered Killian's back in 1996 on a trip to Memphis (where the brewery is) where they had it on tap at the Peabody Hotel bar and been hooked on it since. I am not a big drinker but given a choice of beers I opt for Killian's. For those not familiar, Killian's Irish Red is as the name suggests, a red hued beer and according to the bottle lable it uses a recipe dating back to 1864 from Ireland. It is bottled and brewed in the USA by Coors, but you won't see anything on the bottle about Coors because too many people boycott Coors for their poor labor history among other things.

So share your favorite beer stories, should be interesting.

Gabe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:34 pm 

I never really cared for Killian's that much.
It's funny you mentioned beer because last night I had a dream that that some stranger gave me a big mug full of his own home brewed beer, and it was one of the best beers I had. I remember it having the right balance of everything.

I don't really have many beer stories, I tend to like more of the smoother beers. I really don't have a favorite, although when I do order beer, I try to avoid the common ones. In the states, I guess that would be Miller and Budweiser.

-d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:19 pm 

Killian's is a great beer and it was the first one I acquired a taste for years back when I first started drinking beer. I pretty much enjoy any beer anymore, but my favorites are Guinness and I've noticed myself craving IPA's alot lately. I really don't drink much anymore since my accident in 2001, but every now and then I'll throw a couple back.

I've never heard anything about Coors labor practices. All I know is that they do take great care of their employees in their Golden plant. I lived in Arvada (which is pretty much right between Denver and Golden) for 20 years and have met countless of their employees in the few neighborhoods I lived in. They always were homeowners and drove nice cars, I never met a Coors employee who rented. Also I worked many times in their various plants in Golden (such as canning plant, etc...) as an electrician contractor and have seen many of the employees in action and can honestly tell you that they have an easy job and don't deserve anyone's pity, I'd love to have their job.

I just remembered why I stopped drinking Killian's. Right about that time, Miller came out with Miller Genuine Red. I tried it and it was even better than Killians. My 2 roommates and myself drank that exclusively for the month or 2 that it was out and when they stopped making it, it was a sad day in the ol bachelor pad. Then I moved on to MGD.

Another great beer from Colorado is Fat Tire. It is brewed in a small brewery in Fort Collins near the Wyoming border. I thought it was only popular in Colorado but they sell it in the liquor store right here by my apartment in Oakland, California so I'm sure you can get it in NY.

enjoy - mike grimsley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:39 pm 

skeneegee wrote:
I've never heard anything about Coors labor practices...

To be honest, I don't know the whole story, I just remember that in college the University Pub would not have any Coors because of their Anti-Labor-Union Practices or something to that effect. They may have changed since then...

I'll be on the look out for Fat Tire, love the name.

I also like Mike's Hard Lemonade and Bicardi Ice and other mixed drinks.

btw, Coors also makes ZIMA, which I never took a liking to.

Gabe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:09 pm 

Ah Yes, Fat Tire is a good one, hard to find outside of Colorado. Another microbrew I like is Magic Hat, that one seems to be really popular with all of the hippies. I believe it's made in Vermont somewhere.

-d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:56 am 

I prefer beer on the pale side myself. My favorite is Rolling Rock and it's pretty much the only beer I ever buy. I've tried a wide variety but I still prefer the cheaper stuff. I guess I'm no connoisseur, but I do love beer. :wink: A week or so ago I came across a site for beer drinkers that had multiple polls asking what was the best beer. Blue Moon Belgian White was #1 in most of them.
I don't have many beer stories either, at least none I can remember. :P The only story that was really meaningful to me was when I was 19 and my Dad took me to a bar in Wisconsin. The bartender allowed me to drink since things are pretty relaxed there. When we were at the bar, my dad said to me, "I've always imagined the day I would sit down with my son and have a beer." I came to find out not long after that my Dad had cancer at the time but didn't say anything right away so he could enjoy being with his family before he got too sick without anyone worrying. He died less than a year later. So in the end, the beer wasn't the important part, but sitting down to have one with him was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:20 am 

Not too partial to beer's malty flavor, but if I had to pick a current "favorite" brew I'd have to say Labatt Blue from Canada is the one I've been drinking the most (buddy brings some whenever we have Time to watch a game on my TV).

Having a beer with "the old man" is a good one. My pops passed away shortly after I turned 18 (also from cancer, stomach) so we never had a beer moment, although I did share some Tequila with him when I was about 7. Now that was a pretty funny memory. It was just a small capful of it and frankly I couldn't understand why people bought the stuff. My parents then had a liquor store. How stereotypical, eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:28 pm 

Jin H Kim wrote:
How stereotypical, eh?

Do you mean a 7 year old drinking tequila or an asian owning a liquor store? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:00 pm 

Nice. :wink: 15-love in your favor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:15 am 

And now back on topic!

Tuborg is my favourite "off the beaten path" beer. I used to be a no doubt about it Molson Canadian guy until I spent 2.5 years in Romania where no one had even heard of it. The friends I made there introduced me to Tuborg, and it's become my beer of choice ever since.

However, while an ice cold beer can work miracles on a hot summer day, I generally prefer sweeter "girly" drinks like coolers and such, especially if I plan on drinking a lot.

Speaking of drinking a lot, anyone here ever complete/attempt "The Century", most commonly defined as 100 shots of beer in 100 minutes? I completed it a few months ago. I'm probably a little too old for that kind of silliness now, but it was still fun to watch all my other friends drop out (usually while sprinting to the bathroom) as the minutes went by. I'm proud for reasons which are inexplicable.

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:53 pm 

Ah yes, the 100 club. Did that in college and actually went to 120, not sure why, just cause I could. I'm not a drinker at all and I did pay for it later that night. I ended up staring at a strobe light which also didn't help lol.
The thing I remember most about the process was how the minutes got shorter and shorter with each passing shot. The first 20 or so you are pouring and waiting and waiting, then slowly you are not waiting so long and pretty soon you need someone to help you keep the time so you don't miss one. I've wanted to try it again but haven't had the right set up, maybe one day. Right now two beers and I'm happy. 100 shots was over six beers if I recall correctly.

gabe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:32 pm 

riddler17 wrote:
100 shots was over six beers if I recall correctly.

It's actually closer to nine, at least in Canada, that is. The average can or bottle here contains 341 mL, and there are about 30 mL in one US fluid ounce. Call it 11 shots per beer with 11 mL of spillage! Nine beer at 11 shots each is one short of 100.

FYI (since I brought up the topic of potential differences in beer), I often heard while growing up that Canadian beer is more potent than the average American beer. Comparing cans, anyone can clearly see that the Canadian beer is labelled as having a strength of 5%, while the American claims 4%. Turns out Canadians list the alcohol contents of their beers by volume, while the Americans usually state them by weight. Once you sort out all that math, apparently the two numbers are pretty much equal.

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:13 pm 

although i havent tried them all, i usually like them all, one that slightly beats teh rest (of what ive tried) is Corona

pb 22.19
pb avg
27.61 = 26.74, 26.69, 26.98, 23.16, 26.14, 24.63, 23.71, (22.19), 30.41, (35.42), 34.97, 32.69