Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: http://www.toybuilders.com/
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 11:25 pm 

Has anyone tried this or even tried contacting these people for quotes yet?

Sandy

Post subject: Yes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:28 am 

I talked to them last year. Unless you have money to burn, forget about stereolithography. Each piece costs a lot of cash. A sample project we talked about was a Rubik's Cube, the quote was in the hundreds of dollars, $275USD I think, but I'm not sure. A project like Dogic would cost a small fortune due to the number of pieces.

They're nice people, give em a call, maybe they've changed the price structure.

Jake

Post subject: Had another look
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 5:00 am 

I've always thought that stereolithography wasn't the way to go for magic solids. Evidently the pieces are somewhat brittle. But I must admit, that 3d printer looks cool.

If you want to make more than 1 piece, you are probably going to use some type of mold. If you have a decent 2-part mold, then you are almost there. I tried one-part molds, but it's not good for some of the complex cube parts.

Post subject: Stereolithography parts
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 5:00 am 

At work, we quite often purchase stereolithography parts. Just got one the other day. Besides cost, the other problem is material strength. They are quite brittle. We sometimes break them just by normal handling. The selection of plastics have improved over the years. Maybe someday usable plastics will be available. The parts do work fairly good for making slush molds for casting a handful of parts. Unfortunately, we do not have a SLA machine at work. We send out for them. Too bad though. I'd have great fun with one.

Doug.

Post subject: Prototype Parts
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 8:17 am 
If you do try to get parts made by Toybuilders you should go for parts from the Stratasys machine. They're a bit rough, but very durable and you can use them without casting. Just have them make all the part you need, then assemble them yourself.

On the other hand, if you want to cast it's worth getting parts that will give you the best surface finish. Use the Solidscape machine for such parts. Just be forewarned that the parts are very fragile (look at them wrong and they'll break). Also, you'll have a bit of a learning curve to get finishing and casting techniques down.

Either way be prepared to spend lots of money.