Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Glaciars in Argentina, awesome!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:37 am 

Hi all,

Just got back from a 2week trip to Argentina. So much to see there. While there I took a trip further south to El Calafate, a small town near the andies and some amazing glaciars. If any of you haven't been near a glaciar I recommend it highly. Its very spiritual. Its summer there now and the days are long, it gets dark around 10:30pm! This place is growing fast as the world discovers this amazing place. It grew from 5000 to 13000 in population in the last two years. Still its a tiny town with one main streets and lots of tourists walking around. Lots of Europeans and Argentinians, few North Americans. I will upload some pics once I have my stuff together.

Happy and Healthy New Year to everyone.
Gabe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:52 pm 

here are some pics of the glaciars. Its pretty much impossible to capture the size of these things in photos, but I tried anyway :shock:
The blue iceberg in the second photo was created right in front of our eyes. A huge chunk fell from the glaciar. The color was exquisite. The third pic is of Perito Moreno, the most famous of the glaciars. The view you see in the pic is when you come around a turn and you first notice the glaciar and its vastness. This glaciar is unique in that it is the only one in the world that is not receding. It is in fact advancing and there is a point where it blocks two connected arms of Lake Argentina and the water level rises until it breaks the barrier in spectacular fashion. Last time it happened was this past september. The lakes there are all made up of glacial and rain water and the color is one I have never seen before. I have many more pics to share, let me know if anyone there is interested in seeing more.

Attachments:
DSC01751.JPG
DSC01751.JPG [ 779.85 KiB | Viewed 478 times ]
DSC01698.JPG
DSC01698.JPG [ 758.6 KiB | Viewed 475 times ]
DSC01549.JPG
DSC01549.JPG [ 675.68 KiB | Viewed 479 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:41 am 

Beautiful Pictures!

There is nothing like that over here in Illinois. Over here everything is flat flat flat.

-d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:03 pm 

Second picture is so beautiful.... and the boat on the third one helps give a better idea of size of the glaciares :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:55 pm 

Just noticed a silly typo. Glaciers is the correct spelling in English. My brain was still thinking spanish where they call them glaciares so I ended up with a combo lol. I'm trying to locate a pic I took of a group hiking up onto the glacier, there you get a better sense of the size of these beasts.

Two more pics
gabe

Attachments:
DSC01811.JPG
DSC01811.JPG [ 820.86 KiB | Viewed 468 times ]
DSC01901small.JPG
DSC01901small.JPG [ 188.53 KiB | Viewed 460 times ]