Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Surprising new movements for crazy 3x3x2
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:35 am 

Not sure if anyone noticed this...

- Look at the 3x3 face, twist the left column and right column both by 90 degrees (doesn't matter the direction) so that it is now supported by the upright columns

- Now pick it up, face it (it will look like the letter 'H') and you can rotate the 'H'! :shock: This is not possible for a regular 3x3x2!

I wonder if a H-scrambled (say once, by 180 degrees) puzzle can be restored without any H-descramble?

Edit: Tested for a bit and I think it cannot be done... :?

Post subject: Re: Surprising new movements for crazy 3x3x2
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:09 am 

Please delete your post as you have revealed the sacred move of our secret society.
A move which the puzzle world is not prepared to accept yet, and it may cause unrest!

This move which is the source of creativity and wisdom will result in a knowledge overload
and normal people may become mad or permanently confused if exposed to it.

Please delete this post for the sake of humanity. Now!!!

:lol: :mrgreen:

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:05 am 

I hope you're not hiring assassins for this :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:39 am 

This sacred move has been revealed to the puzzle world by some underground videos.
So, no need to assasinate poor starrie.

BTW I find it quite handy for a solution.
I had mentioned yesterday in a different thread about the Crazy 2x3x3 that this puzzle might very well be underestimated. Go get it!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:47 am 

Oh dear... it is too late now...

We are doomed! DOOMED!!!

:lol:

Pantazis

PS. And yes, that crazy 3x3x2 is indeed an extraordinary puzzle. ;)

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:36 am 

:lol:

I'm a gamer, and I'm proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:32 pm 

OK - back on subject - lol - I just got my cube today, and actually managed to solve it once, but I'm not really sure how! More like intuition and luck really. Has anyone had any luck with a structured approach to this puzzle? Or seen any links to a "solution" I'd love to see how others are solving this thing...

Oh, and just a funny note - I had to take it apart to figure out why only one inner layer circle would remain stationary at a time - very sneaky addition to the puzzle!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:13 am 

My first few solves were influenced by luck, too. Now I have a reproducable method, but it is certainly not the most elegant. Because I got the cube as a DIY kit, I'm not sure how a pre-assembled will look like. I mean, which and how many corner cubies are connected with the inner mechanism. The DIY came with four connectors and I have connected only one corner.
I hope to get two more cubes from mf8 and witeden very soon.
I think it would be not so easy to describe my method as the description would somehow depend on the connected corner(s).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:18 am 

For me, I found a 14 steps (!) way to switch 2 same-layer adjacent corners, and a 13 steps way to switch 2 same-layer adjacent edges (along with a few others), for solving on the normal 3x3x2.

Some what conveniently, these 2 doesn't change the inner circles at all.
Although the 13 steps increased to 15 and when using the steps I need to avoid the fixed part.

So after intuitively solving the inner circles it's more or less done.

When I first saw the connector I tried to take it out!
Thought it was a mistake :lol:

By the way, I realised that if you used some number of H-scramble it cannot be solved without re-using it. I've got positions where both top and bottom of the inner circle have the same color.

I wonder how many connectors makes it the hardest?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:37 am 

konsassen wrote:
My first few solves were influenced by luck, too. Now I have a reproducable method, but it is certainly not the most elegant. Because I got the cube as a DIY kit, I'm not sure how a pre-assembled will look like. I mean, which and how many corner cubies are connected with the inner mechanism. The DIY came with four connectors and I have connected only one corner.
I hope to get two more cubes from mf8 and witeden very soon.
I think it would be not so easy to describe my method as the description would somehow depend on the connected corner(s).

I bought the pre-assembled version, and it came with one corner attached - I also thought it was a mistake until I took it apart! Looks like I'll be buying a DIY kit now too though. I'm still trying to find a good algorithm to swap two outer corners without disturbing the inner circle. I'm also experimenting with algorithms that will permute the inner circle pieces (from top to bottom layer) without disturbing the outer domino.. -- And trying to wrap my brain around how the inner circle is similar to a super floppy (not counting the tricks the attached piece(s) will throw at you)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:55 pm 

starrie wrote:
- Now pick it up, face it (it will look like the letter 'H') and you can rotate the 'H'! :shock: This is not possible for a regular 3x3x2!

:shock: I nearly jumped out of my seat when I did this.

I just got mine in the mail today (with my HUGE mf8 teraminx, crazy 4x4x4, and rhombic dodecahedron), and had just solved it when I read this. I solve the outer pieces first, then the circle. It's a systematic method I could reproduce... but I doubt I will remember it at all if I leave the puzzle for more than a few days, and because of the inherent asymmetry in the puzzle it will be a pain to re-solve it by logic. It's an inelegant design, but that's OK; it's something different.

Quote:
I wonder if a H-scrambled (say once, by 180 degrees) puzzle can be restored without any H-descramble?

Clearly not, because you can break up the inner corner pairs which otherwise are units.