Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bakugan
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:58 pm 

I have a handful of these neat little toys and was just wondering if anyone else here has had their interest sparked by them. They seem to be incredibly popular in the US, especially in the great lakes region.

For those that don't know, they are small plastic balls with a magnet in them. The magnet causes a monster-like character to form from the ball when it is placed on another magnetic or a metallic surface. There is a game involved with these characters, gate cards (Metal cards that allow you to place the ball on top of it so that it springs open) and regular paper cards.

Post subject: Re: Bakugan
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:35 pm 

I don't get it. :? Pictures?

Alex

YouTube Account: Cubiksrube113

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:42 pm 

There is a very interesting story behind these little buggers....Let me start where it all began:

Yugi-Oh! was a TV series about a card game that adults played for some reason, with some sort of immortal power behind it all. They made up the rules as they went along in the show, not expecting a card game to actually come out of it. Bakugan was nothing more than a parody of Yugi-Oh!, and they didn't expect it at all to get as many fans as they did. So now that the show is a surprising success, they started another "collection" trend off of it.

Why does he always have the funny quotes? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:21 pm 

:( They have a game on the wii for it. My girlfriend is a sucker for it.

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:22 pm 

in my summer camp group i am a counselor for, one of my kids has like 142 bakugan.... theyre all different its pretty cool =p

R.I.P. Frank (Flambore) you will always be in my memories.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:34 pm 

My nephew has about a hundred. To be honest, I think the ingenuity of the figures is pretty awesome, even though I think those games are lame and stupid. He gets them because of the figures. I think he threw all of the cards away once I showed him that any magnet will open them.

- Billy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:50 pm 

In response to the request for pictures.

In the ball form:

This shows them in the packaging, ball form, popped out on the gate cards, and the regular cards.

They are rather nifty. I have traded up to having about 10 with cards and gates that I am probably going to place on ebay very soon. Lots are fetching around US$15 and my short lived interest is waning quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:07 pm 

Arch Wolf wrote:
Yugi-Oh! was a TV series about a card game that adults played for some reason.

Actually, wouldn't Magic the Gathering be where it all started wIth Pokemon bringing the "Monster Battle" concept into the Mainstream and Yu-gi-oh being the first to be best known for the respective card game?

Edit: Could the concept behind the Bakugan spheres in anyway be applied to creating a new type of puzzle? Perhaps some variety of mechanical puzzle where certain moves are only possible in one of the two states(Open/close).

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:46 pm 

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:
Arch Wolf wrote:
Yugi-Oh! was a TV series about a card game that adults played for some reason.

Actually, wouldn't Magic the Gathering be where it all started wIth Pokemon bringing the "Monster Battle" concept into the Mainstream and Yu-gi-oh being the first to be best known for the respective card game?

Edit: Could the concept behind the Bakugan spheres in anyway be applied to creating a new type of puzzle? Perhaps some variety of mechanical puzzle where certain moves are only possible in one of the two states(Open/close).

M:tG is where it started, IMO, but not where it became popular. They have books, but nothing like Yugi-oh or anything.

And now, unfortunately, they're "yugi-oh"ing M:tG with some of the rules/cards they're making, the effects cards have, it's ridiculous. It's why I stopped playing, they're making too much of a kids game.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:03 pm 

I still play MtG CONSTANTLY. I played at the WorldWake release tournament at a local card shop here on 2/5/10 and placed 3rd out of 14 people in a draft style. Some of the new cards they have out are rediculousely awesome, such as;

Basilisk Collar - 1 colorless mana
artifact
equip - 2 colorless
Equipped creature has Death-Touch (if it deals dmg to a creature it kills it regardless) and Life-Link (if it deals dmg PERIOD I gain that much life)

Claws of Valakut - 1 colorless, 2 mountains
Enchantment - Aura
Enchanted creature gets +1/+0 for each mountain you control, and has first strike.

Stone Idol Trap - 5 colorless, 1 Mountain
Instant - Trap
Stone Idol Trap costs 1 less to cast for each creature your opponent is attacking with.
Put a 6/12 colorless Construct artifact creature token with trample onto the field in your control.
At the end of your next turn, sacrifice it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:22 pm 

Arch Wolf wrote:
Enchantment - Aura
Enchanted creature gets +1/+0 for each mountain you control, and has first strike.

Instant - Trap
Stone Idol Trap costs 1 less to cast for each creature your opponent is attacking with.
Put a 6/12 colorless Construct artifact creature token with trample onto the field in your control.

Combine these two, and you'll see why I stopped playing.

Red decks are already used for burn, so a good player should have you down to next to dead after getting a few mountains and a few key cards (braid of fire) out. Then they hit you with a creature that's probably over 20/12 with first strike and trample.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:36 pm 

theVDude wrote:
Arch Wolf wrote:
Enchantment - Aura

Instant - Trap

Combine these two, and you'll see why I stopped playing.

Red decks are already used for burn, so a good player should have you down to next to dead after getting a few mountains and a few key cards (braid of fire) out. Then they hit you with a creature that's probably over 20/12 with first strike and trample.

Not to mention the Basilisk collar, so I would gain that much life... In all fairness, these are EASILY not the cheapest ones in the game. The Promo card that I got would just whoop in an elf deck...

Joraga Warcaller - 1 Forest
Creature - Elf Warrior
1/1
Multikicker 1 colorless, 1 Forest (pay this cost when you play the card ONLY as many times as you can for a multiple "kicked" effect)
Jorga Warcaller enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each time it was kicked.
Other Elf creatures you control get +1/+1 for each counter on Joraga Warcaller

I have this one in my Selesnya Token deck :3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:04 am 

But how about those Bakugan? :D