Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Are all post's really necessary
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:32 am 

Must I say more ?

I'm not crazy when people go on a rampage of posting for posting....

It's always fun to read what other members have to contribute,
and i find it doesn't serve any purpose when we have posts like:
_Wow !
_too long won't read that
etc.

It was said before: _Quality not quantity

My 2 cents

Michael
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:38 am 

The forum is actually a diverse mix of people of various ages and temperament.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:37 pm 

My $.02 anyway!!! I think there just doing it for the rating system thats below everyones name because they want to reach Tyler Robbins status that is 6 little cubes under his name in the shortest time possibly. Not everybody doing it just some people are. As you can tell I'm clearly not one of them. I'm the 13th member here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:50 pm 

Wow, I just looked at the memberlist and saw that I'm 14th in overall posts... makes me wonder if I can shut-up or not... My Join Date is kinda deceiving as I was a contributing member of TwistyMega and apparently those posts were added to my total when I joined here... I think I was a member of TM for at least a year before it went down...

I know not everything that is said here is completely warranted but I like to think that there is also alot of excitement sometimes and people just have to say something...

Tyler has had alot to say in a relatively short ammount of time... Where is he anyways? Haven't heard from him lately... but I enjoyed his posts.

I'm not competitive enough to want "first place" but I guess I do talk alot...

_pink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:23 pm 

...I posted this message in the "OFF TOPIC" section
but i was taking about the "GENERAL TOPICS" section...

In this section i personnaly don't care who & what is posted.

As for the the rating system....Yeah, I too have the impression some are
posting for that purpose.

Michael
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:46 pm 

Quote:
As for the the rating system....Yeah, I too have the impression some are
posting for that purpose.

I disagree - I talk a lot on here, and for me that reflects more upon the wealth of knowledge amongst the users here than the number under my name.

I like this forum being very active, makes life a little more interesting for me :mrgreen:

www.nickylewis.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:22 pm 

I'm a frequent visitor to this forum but I've spent little time actually posting something. I only do when I actually have something good to say. The post counter doesn't do much to tell the quality of the posts. Some kind of member rating system would be a better system, but that would make this forum more of a competition than a . . . forum.

On twistymegasite, before the counter was around, I noticed there more higher quality posts and fewer responses like "cool", "wow", and "I want one of those"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:34 am 

Too much to read for me :wink:

I think Michael is right with his posting here. I see this posting as a statement without asking for any consequences.
People who are reading this can think about the stuff they are posting. Maybe they see the reason, why it's not very interesting for us to read, that the text is too long and I think that's the purpose of Michael's posting.

What I don't like is restricting such postings. Where do you start, where do you end? A "WOW"-reply on a posting about a selfmade cube is not uninteresting for me and of course not for the original poster. (I think everybody likes commendation)

Well... If somebody thinks he needs a lot postings here because of his rank, what will you do? As long it doesn't get worse I wouldn't think about it.

These are my two (Euro-)Cents.
Cya,
Markus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:52 am 

What would the forum be like if everyone was like me?

I've been a member at Wayne's old site since it began, and here as well. I look around almost everyday. Not much to say.

Sure, there are lame posts. That's probably not going to change. It would be a far less interesting forum if Sandy starts trying to stop this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:18 pm 

I like to read almost everything posted. I usually learn something and not many are a waste of time. I couldn't believe I was 17th in total posts when I checked. Is .91 posts per day a lot?

Anyway no complaints from me. Keep up the good work everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:22 pm 

I must say out of all of the forums I have read/posted to, this one has by far the highest ratio of relevant posts vs irrelevant posts. I love the idea of this off topic section, because I know if I don't have time to read it, I can still be up to date on all that is twisty.

-d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:25 pm 

. . . true stuff. I'm usually bad with words. I think I'll try to make more posts since it seems that the majority of people don't care if I say something stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:42 pm 

There are a lot of things in this topic I want to reply to. But rather than post a half dozen different replies to boost up my post count and risk the scorn of my peers, I'll just stick it all in one huge post and risk the scorn of those with Attention Defecit Disorder.

I personally don't care what people post as long as it isn't intended to cause a nuisance to those members interested in talking about puzzles. I don't think anyone here is trying to do that except for that smoking ad door-knob from last month and other forum spammers like him.

Aleksey nailed it when he said we're all different. Frankly, I find it pretty damned amazing we all get along as well as we do. There is very little that we all have in common. Ages vary by at least 50 years in some cases. Our home countries, native languages, standard of living, etc all vary by nearly the most extreme amounts possible. The one thing we share is a love for a certain type of puzzle. If two twisty puzzle nuts met each other on the street, how many do you really think would bother talking to other person long enough to discover the common hobby? None?

Darren Grewe wrote:
I think there just doing it for the rating system thats below everyones name because they want to reach Tyler Robbins status that is 6 little cubes under his name in the shortest time possibly.

If the rating system is causing problems (and I'm not convinced it is), it can be removed with the click of a button. However, someone posting to boost a post count will eventually tire of the game and fade away. I believe this has already happened, although I will leave the guessing of whom it was up to the reader.

_pink wrote:
My Join Date is kinda deceiving as I was a contributing member of TwistyMega and apparently those posts were added to my total when I joined here... I think I was a member of TM for at least a year before it went down...

_pink, the joined dates of any member I could identify from TwistyMegasite (and I personally e-mailed all but the most recent members) was rewound to the date of the first recognized post on the TM forum. If you think this is wrong, maybe I didn't correctly identify your TM user name. If I'm not mistaken, this was your first post:

viewtopic.php?t=1369

_pink wrote:
Tyler has had alot to say in a relatively short ammount of time... Where is he anyways? Haven't heard from him lately... but I enjoyed his posts.

Tyler is apparently going to Boston University these days. Check out this thread for a short description about his absence:

viewtopic.php?p=12742

Jeff Goetz wrote:
On twistymegasite, before the counter was around, I noticed there more higher quality posts and fewer responses like "cool", "wow", and "I want one of those"

Keep in mind that somewhere around half of us weren't around in time to post on TwistyMegasite fourm (view the memberlist, sort by joined date, this forum went up on Feb 14 2004, I think). Our number has grown quickly since that time. Furthermore, the TwistyMegasite forum collected approximately 13,000 messages in its 3.25 year lifetime. There are now over 19,000 messages in this forum. That's a remarkable increase in growth... which I suppose is why I remarked upon it. Anyway, my point is, there were fewer posters and fewer posts before, so there was "fewer" of everything, including responses like "I want one of those"! I really don't think it means anything at all.

I suppose I could always write a few scripts to count up all the words in all the posts and do an average word count to answer that question once and for all. If only I had nothing to do with my time...!

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:42 pm 

I would like to chime in,

Seems to me that this is why the OFF Topic section was created in the first place. With regard to terse replies to other posts, there is something to be said for being succint and to the point as opposed to palaverous and verbose. Personally I shy away from chapters of posts, unless of course it is interesting. So at the end of the day it comes down to an individual's taste and interest. If there was a way to post a "cool" note to another's post without creating another post, people would use that tool too. Or create a minimum character requirement to gain a "legitimate" post. Of course one would get around that by being recrementitious and circumlocutory. As for for the status rating of each member, this goes to the core of human nature and competition. Then you look at this forum and you find a distillate of this drive to be the fasterst (speedcubing), be the best (find god's algorithm), or just be at it until solved. If it can be ranked, categorized, rated, and put in a top ten list, people will flock to it. Personally I love the year end top 100 song charts and the all time charts. In those all time charts, the same songs appear year after year, but who really cares if Stairway to Heaven or Layla or Freebird is Number One? Does it really matter? No. So if you have 5 posts or 2000, does it matter? Of course not. In my humble opinion, life is too short, this forum has already morphed into a very user friendly site not in small part for Sandy's ability to address issues in lightening speed. So post my friends, post long, post short, post sideways, long live the post. Not that there is anything wrong with lurking, lurking is cool too :wink:

Gabe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:41 pm 

I must have been in a bad mood when i wrote this post,
because i usually sweat the small stuff, but after reading your answers
i now realize that we are a very select group, interested in twisty puzzles.
And this Forum is Great. Again thanks Sandy for all the hard work.

I apologize.

Michael
:oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:49 pm 

Sandy said: There are a lot of things in this topic I want to reply to. But rather than post a half dozen different replies to boost up my post count and risk the scorn of my peers, I'll just stick it all in one huge post and risk the scorn of those with Attention Defecit Disorder.

It's stuff like this that tells me more about my friends here than any puzzle conversation could... It makes me feel the personality... Sandy's not just words on my screen. I like the personal interjections that might not be "puzzle related".

Sandy, you are also correct about my first post... Did you notice I WAS LOOKING FOR A DINO THEN!!! :wink: and unfortunately, I still am... "Can you help a brother out?" 8-)

God help us if we put a 'minimum length' on posts... I can just see zillions of posts like:

Kewl.Kewl.Kewl.Kewl.Kewl.Kewl.Kewl.Kewl.Kewl.Kewl.

get the picture...

Gabe, I just wanted to say... I enjoyed your post on this topic... Thanks for taking the time to type in your thoughts...

Jeff Goetz, come hang out and chat with us... everyone here knows that I'm the biggest idiot allowed in the forums... so you'll be fine... :wink:

well, I've prolly met the length requirements on this post so I'll shut up and let someone else yack a bit...

toodles,
_pink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:09 pm 

_pink wrote:
I WAS LOOKING FOR A DINO THEN!!! :wink: and unfortunately, I still am... "Can you help a brother out?" 8-)

Well, let's see....

No!

Honestly, though, and I suspect I posted this elsewhere at some point, but my wife and I are trying to buy a house this summer. Since she technically "owns" half of my collection, I told her if the only thing between us and the house is a few extra grand for the down payment, I'd sell off a few rares. Don't hold your breath, but if you're willing to pay the eBay price, you might get your chance... but, God, I hope not!

With that in mind, excuse me a moment while I go check my lottery numbers...

Curses. Still poor.

Sandy