Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Option to disable sidebar?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:31 pm 

If you guys read further up then you would've seen that Sandy is working on it. It disappears when you log in. I'm not happy either, but it will be back.

Is there any update on this issue, Sandy? Thanks.

- Billy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:00 pm 

Okay, does anyone actually still want the option to hide it? Sounds to me like people see greater value in it now than they did back when I first put it in.

I'm going to remove the option to hide it (thus restoring it for everyone all the time) until I can figure this problem out. I'm going away for the long weekend, so it won't be until next week. And since I still can't reproduce the problem, I need to enlist a tester who will be able to periodically view my changes on their PC and provide me with screen shots and/or copies of the page source code. If you think you might be available to do that on Tues September 8 at times beween 11am and 5pm EST, send me a PM.

Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:09 pm 

I still want it. I never really wanted to get rid of it but the option to hide could be great if it works out.

Alex

YouTube Account: Cubiksrube113

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:09 pm 

Sandy wrote:
Okay, does anyone actually still want the option to hide it? Sounds to me like people see greater value in it now than they did back when I first put it in.

I'm going to remove the option to hide it (thus restoring it for everyone all the time) until I can figure this problem out. I'm going away for the long weekend, so it won't be until next week. And since I still can't reproduce the problem, I need to enlist a tester who will be able to periodically view my changes on their PC and provide me with screen shots and/or copies of the page source code. If you think you might be available to do that on Tues September 8 at times beween 11am and 5pm EST, send me a PM.

Sandy

I will, but I have school from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm so I may be late sometimes.

and I might forget. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:26 pm 

I LOVE the side bar. I never want to hide it. :D

Sorry, I wouldn't be available to test the scripts. I'll be in Hawaii for a week and might not be able to check the site but a few times, if at all. :P

Thanks, Sandy.

- Billy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:31 pm 

Seems like people might be available now (as am I for an hour or so). I've just uploaded another version. If anyone is willing, test it out by clearing your cache, then by changing and saving the value in your profile and seeing if the sidebar hides and shows as it should. If it doesn't work, view the page source (on any forum page), and copy the last 40 lines or so and paste them into a Code block in the forum. Also include a description of what you see on screen. Look for a line that begins with "<!-- Sidebar:". There should be a batch of them all together near the end of the page source.

Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:41 pm 

Sandy wrote:
Seems like people might be available now (as am I for an hour or so). I've just uploaded another version. If anyone is willing, test it out by clearing your cache, then by changing and saving the value in your profile and seeing if the sidebar hides and shows as it should. If it doesn't work, view the page source (on any forum page), and copy the last 40 lines or so and paste them into a Code block in the forum. Also include a description of what you see on screen. Look for a line that begins with "<!-- Sidebar:". There should be a batch of them all together near the end of the page source.

Sandy

hahaha. good job bolding the 40 lines part. :wink:

hmm, still not working.

here you go:
Code:
<!--
   We request you retain the full copyright notice below including the link to www.phpbb.com.
   This not only gives respect to the large amount of time given freely by the developers
   but also helps build interest, traffic and use of phpBB3. If you (honestly) cannot retain
   the full copyright we ask you at least leave in place the "Powered by phpBB" line, with
   "phpBB" linked to www.phpbb.com. If you refuse to include even this then support on our
   forums may be affected.

The phpBB Group : 2006
//-->
<BR>
<div id="wrapfooter">
      <span class="copyright">Forum powered by <a href="http://www.phpbb.com/">phpBB</a> &copy; 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
   </span>
</div>

</DIV>
    </DIV>

</TD>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:55 pm 

Please try again. Clear cache, change/save settings. Next time, also copy the next 4-5 lines. It should have appeared JUST BELOW what you pasted above.

Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:59 pm 

Code:
<!--
   We request you retain the full copyright notice below including the link to www.phpbb.com.
   This not only gives respect to the large amount of time given freely by the developers
   but also helps build interest, traffic and use of phpBB3. If you (honestly) cannot retain
   the full copyright we ask you at least leave in place the "Powered by phpBB" line, with
   "phpBB" linked to www.phpbb.com. If you refuse to include even this then support on our
   forums may be affected.

//-->
<BR>
<div id="wrapfooter">
      <span class="copyright">Forum powered by <a href="http://www.phpbb.com/">phpBB</a> &copy; 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
   </span>
</div>

</DIV>
    </DIV>

</TD>

<!-- Sidebar: Before all. --><!-- Sidebar: User is logged in. --><!-- Sidebar: After all. -->

</TR>
      </TABLE>

</TD>

</TR>
        <TR>
          <TD CLASS="InnerLayoutFooter">
      <DIV CLASS="Footer">
        <!--
        <DIV ID="FooterSearch">
          Search Goes Here
        </DIV>
        <DIV ID="FooterPopular">
          Popular Link Sections Go Here
        </DIV>
        -->

Should I be copying the page source from this page (this thread), or the home page?

I added way more than 4 lines. I wanted to make sure it was there.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:11 pm 

It doesn't matter which page you copy the code from, as long as it's part of the forum (browser window title starts with "TwistyPuzzles.com Forum". To help you copy and paste, the sidebar code we're looking at is right between the </TD> and </TR>. See this shorter clipping from your most recent post:

Code:
      </DIV>
    </DIV>

</TD>

<!-- Sidebar: Before all. --><!-- Sidebar: User is logged in. --><!-- Sidebar: After all. -->

</TR>
      </TABLE>

Try it again now. Clear the cache, change your profile settings, see what doesn't work, copy and post the code. We're getting a new clue each time.

Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:22 pm 

tried again...didn't work.

page source=
Code:
<!--
   forums may be affected.

//-->

<BR>
<div id="wrapfooter">
   </span>
</div>

</DIV>
    </DIV>

</TD>

<!-- Sidebar: Before all. --><!-- Sidebar: User is logged in. --><!-- Sidebar: No custom fields found. --><!-- Sidebar: After all. -->

</TR>
      </TABLE>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:26 pm 

Well, there's the crux of it, then: "No custom fields found." If it can't find those fields, it can't use the value of one of them to hide/show the sidebar.

I'm out of time on this, but I'll be looking into it again probably on Tuesday. For now, I'm putting the sidebar back in for everyone.

Thanks for all your help, Logan.

Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:28 pm 

Sandy wrote:
Well, there's the crux of it, then: "No custom fields found." If it can't find those fields, it can't use the value of one of them to hide/show the sidebar.

I'm out of time on this, but I'll be looking into it again probably on Tuesday. For now, I'm putting the sidebar back in for everyone.

Thanks for all your help, Logan.

Sandy

yeah, any time. If you need any help testing anything (even puzzles :D ), just ask.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:35 pm 

At least the side bar is back. I'm perfectly happy with that. :D

- Billy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:55 pm 

I would like the option to disable the sidebar as well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:03 pm 

YAY! Sandy, It's back.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:50 pm 

can we at least keep disabling the side bar as an option that can be changed in the user control panel?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:17 pm 

TheCube wrote:
can we at least keep disabling the side bar as an option that can be changed in the user control panel?

That's what Sandy is trying to accomplish. There is something wrong with the code that he's trying to figure out. He decided to put the side bar back on temporarily while he's working on the problem. He's going to put the option back in after his long weekend...when the problem is solved.

- Billy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:30 pm 

Well, why not make it a top bar, then? Instead of worrying about customisable variables, all that's needed is a change in position, and it'll still give us the full width.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:59 pm 

Tim Browne wrote:
Well, why not make it a top bar, then? Instead of worrying about customisable variables, all that's needed is a change in position, and it'll still give us the full width.

I hated the full width. I think it's perfect with the side bar. Making it a top bar wouldn't really allow for the "Some recent posts" section to be effective without taking up the entire top of the screen.

I think that it should be the way Sandy is currently working on. Instead of making it collapsible he is making it an option all together (unless I misunderstood the most recent idea), which would satisfy the preferences of everyone.

- Billy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:02 pm 

Well, for wide screen monitors, I'm sure the full side bar is OK, but for people like me whose screens max out at 1024x768 (unless you want to switch it to 60 Hz refresh, which I don't), it kills about a quarter of the useable screen area. It also means that any printouts from this site take up about a third more paper than they should. I like the information that's there, which is why I suggested a top bar. Perhaps we can make that a third option instead of simply side/hide?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:31 pm 

Here is how it looks on my screen:

See how much real estate is on top in the center and on the right side. I would rather that these "informers", like the shop or the community be located there. Optionally, as well.

Frankly, to me it's not as much that this takes screen real estate because I have a high-resolution screen, but rather that it's very unsymmetrical. I think (but I am not sure) that if you had columns both on the left and the right sides of the screen, it would have been better. More comfortable.

Just an idea.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:06 pm 

Unlike aleksey, I do not mind the current non-symetrical design (most websites are like this, left-oriented) but I do mind the real estate. I am on a 13" macbook.

Anyways, I put together a poor image showing one way of doing the site. I think that the sidebar should still be there for non-logged in users, though.

Attachment:
Picture 1.jpg
Picture 1.jpg [ 224.16 KiB | Viewed 2189 times ]

Click for embiggening.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:14 am 

Aleksey wrote:
Frankly, to me it's not as much that this takes screen real estate because I have a high-resolution screen, but rather that it's very unsymmetrical. I think (but I am not sure) that if you had columns both on the left and the right sides of the screen, it would have been better. More comfortable.

NO WAY! That'd kill me having a 1024x786 screen.

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:31 am 

TomZ wrote:
Aleksey wrote:

It will not if the sidebars are going to be optional.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:39 am 

TomZ wrote:
Aleksey wrote:

how many cm or inches is that?

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:30 am 

Depends on the DPI size.
With a normal DPI of 96 I have 38x31cm at 1280x1024pixels.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:31 am 

Mine is a notebook with 15.4" screen and 1680x1050 resolution. The desktop monitor has much bigger resolution.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:56 am 

What ever happened with this? I'm using Firefox 3.0, and my case is the opposite of most. I set my sidebar to 'hide', but it won't go away!! I cleared my cache, reloaded, etc..... no luck.

It's easier for me to get away with browsing the forum at work if no pictures of puzzles are on the screen. The forum by itself makes it look like I'm checking out something 'official' :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:40 pm 

Calzone wrote:
It's easier for me to get away with browsing the forum at work if no pictures of puzzles are on the screen. The forum by itself makes it look like I'm checking out something 'official' :lol:

... says the guy with a puzzle as his avatar!

I will get back to this. I'm not willing to do so at the moment and this weekend is packed full of family stuff. In fact, as plans fall into place, it's starting to look like this weekend may begin tonight.

Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:07 pm 

Touché!
That is pretty damn funny! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:59 pm 

You could just set your browser to not show images by default. Then if you want to see an image, just right click on it and tell it to show.

-d

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:31 pm 

I'm working on a greasemonkey script to do this, so anyone with firefox and greasemonkey installed will be able to have it turned off.

With an addon called platypus you can do it, but it loads and shows it before it removes it and frees up the space, so I'm working on getting working right.

Unfortunately, greasemonkey scripts are proving to be more frustrating than I originally thought.

Okay, so it was easier than I thought, I missed a ). :lol:

Just trying to get it to remove it BEFORE it's loaded. Which can't be done, the page has to load before it can edit it. Maybe with some messing around I could get it before it displays, but I doubt it.

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/63568

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:22 am 

When I visit the forum with my Blackberry (using it's default browser) the sidebar covers up a lot of the text from forum messages which is why I'd like the option to disable it.