Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How to take appart a Pyramorphix
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 4:29 pm 

Is there a good way to take appart a Pyramorphix ?

Post subject: , without breaking any of the pieces...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 11:45 pm 

This is a good question.
I read Jaap's solution for the puzzle, where he says that you can take two Pyramorphixes apart and build two new puzzles from the parts.
I had one, and was about to get a second one to try and make these modifications, but the one I had broke. Still, even when it's broken I can't figure out how to take it apart without breaking it.

Post subject: Takng apart a Pyramorphix
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2000 12:43 pm 

Interesting... I've never had any problems taking mine apart and putting it back together. It basically works exactly the same way as Rubik's Pocket Cube does. All you need to do is rotate one slice by 45 degrees, and you should be able to pop out a piece easily enough with the help of a screwdriver, or perhaps even with your bare hands if you dont mind the possibility of lacerations from the centre pieces. Then again, unless he's changed something else when he switched to tiles, that happens pretty much every time it's played with, so... L8r.

Post subject: Untitled
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2000 12:43 pm 
I have done the piece swap with the keychain sized one, which is called a Pyraminx for some reason. Of course, as soon as I found one at a drug store, the supply was gone at all the other drug stores, so I had to order online. They're easy to take apart since the flat faces can be pried off and re-set easily with super glue. I'm almost done converting an all-points custom into a Stern as seen in the Puzzles Wanted page. I'm just waiting for some tiles from Meffert's--I ordered a set for the Skewb Diamond (so it'll have 8 colors) for $8, but some of the tiles I got were rounded for the blunted Pyraminx corners, so it's not an even set, and I've requested replacements. I'm guessing the tiles on the large Pyramorphix can be pried or sliced off easily, so fixing the reversed 4-color configuration won't be a problem. That's also good because I hear from Meffert's they're going to discontinue extra tile production soon.