Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Should there be a rules test?
Yes, but only for new members. 16%  16%  [ 7 ]
Yes, but only for members that have been here six months or less. 22%  22%  [ 10 ]
Yes...for everyone. 33%  33%  [ 15 ]
No...I don't think a test is necessary. 27%  27%  [ 12 ]
Other...give details. 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 45
 Post subject: Poll: Should there be a rules test?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:19 pm 

I thought I would make this poll to determine the overall opinion of the forum in regard to the excessive rule violations that have been happening recently. Several members have expressed their feelings on the subject and voiced their disapproval of the ignorance of some of the newer members.

There are many things that can be done to ensure that all members know and understand the rules. The best way that I can think of is a simple fifteen to twenty question test. The test could be over the more detailed aspects of rules and policies, or it could test everything...simple to difficult. I would volunteer to "grade" the tests if they were not multiple choice (which I don't think they should be).

I personally think that the test should be given to everyone...just as a refresher, of sorts. I'm not sure how this would be administered or enforced, but something needs to be done. Thanks.

- Billy

Post subject: Re: Poll: Should there be a rules test?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:58 pm 

Wow. I thought I would be the only stickler looking to test EVERYONE! Right now the "everyone" choice is the favorite option. Guess I'm part of the Silent Majority™! :lol:

Considering the last few crazy violations in posts about the KO Fisher Cube alone (I mean, really, it was getting ridiculous for a minute there), it wouldn't hurt for everyone to go over the rules once.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:05 pm 

Frankly I'm convinced that all the rule-breakers know the rules, but post without a second thought. Anyone can pass a silly test, but will they follow the rules because of it? I would say no.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:36 pm 

I think people know the rules, but don't consider how important they are to everyone else on a semi-closed, closely moderated message board such as this. I've only been a member for six months, but I can already see TwistyPuzzles.com is special. This is the first message board of which I've been a part that has a close-knit, articulate, polite membership as the majority and not the minority. As a consequence, I'm very careful to search for previous posts before posting myself, and only start a thread when it's absolutely necessary.

I'd rather give people the benefit of the doubt and point out the recent errors with a test than assume people know how important the rules are and throw my hands up in despair.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:37 pm 

people read the rules, but little things aren't neccesarily obvious just from reading a page of rules.
I think some people on this forum simply don't realize the fine print of the rules, I mean heck, I've learned alot of things from other people's mistakes that I might have made the same myself had I not seen other people do it and get chewed out... :lol:

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:54 am 

Why not just include a copy of the rules in the first (automated?) contact from the forum, to be read while waiting for account activation?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:03 am 

In my opinion its unnecessary. It would help some new members know not post KO links and bump threads... but not all... those mistakes are inevitable and will always be arising.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:19 am 

I voted for Option 1. I think we do need to have some check in place (at least to reduce if not avoid all these common repeated rule violations), but from a practical IT perspective, I think testing only the new members would be feasible, as you could easily add a few simple questions to the initial application form. But setting up a completely separate system to test and track all existing members would require far too much effort and would be of limited value since most existing members have already been exposed to the discussions following recent rule violations.

Also, I think 15 to 20 questions is overkill, we do not want to put off potential members from joining altogether, the objective is just to make sure they have read the rules and understand that we take them seriously, no more. On that basis I would say just 5 questions is more than sufficient, but these should not test the obvious rules. They should test the subtle ones that actually cause us the most problems, for example:

Which of the following are official forum rules:

1. Members must not post links to their own auctions (not true)
2. Members must not post links to other people's auctions (true)

Getting both these questions right is not obvious, so is a more effective way of ensuring that new members have read the rules.

On the other hand there is no point testing rules like:

1. Members must treat others with respect, not swear, etc., etc.

That would be a waste of time and would just put potential new members off.

Best to keep it simple and focused on only the most common and annoying problems. We should aim for maximum impact with minimum effort :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:21 pm 

I can see some merit in a rules test, but I have to agree that there are plenty of transgressions where people know the rules but are just too lazy to actually follow them. Search the forum and you will find many instances of "I know but..." or "I thought this was an exception".

Part of the problem is understanding the rules, and part of it is thinking before you post. I would be far happier if people thought more before they posted, and a test won't help that much.

In this case I think stepping up a bit of polite but firm pressure on those who make these common mistakes might be a way to signal to members to be more careful about their posting in general.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:48 pm 

Dave and Kelvin both make great points here. I have to admit that when I wrote my original post I was still in that really annoyed mindset. After taking a step back I realize that the other things I couldn't think of in the original post are coming out through the suggestions and ideas of other people...which is something I hoped would happen. :lol:

Kelvin's suggestion is good and one that I considered a few hours after posting. Including some rules questions in the initial application for membership would help new members to understand the small details of some of the more broad rules.

I also agree with Dave that most of members are just too lazy to follow the rules, which is sad. However, despite what many people think, I believe that many members don't read the rules because they think that they will simply be the obvious and generic rules of all forums.

I think that some kind of rating system would be nice. This has been suggested here before but that was more of an overall rating, instead of a single post system. I have been using the "Report this post" button more frequently and I hope it will be enforced enough so that members understand that their post quality really does matter here.

I appreciate everyone who took the time to vote and comment.

- Billy