Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hurricane Francis
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:19 pm 

Here comes another one, right through the middle of Florida. This hurricane will be much worse than hurricane Charly. The eye will be close to where I live, but the predicted path keeps on changing. The news say it will go a little south of us. There will be sustained winds at speeds around 80mph, maybe 90, maybe 70. The news also says it will take about 20 hours to pass over. Its moving about 4 times as slow as Charly was, so we'll experience it 4 times longer. It'll be here on saturday night. It's bad, but it's not like I'm going to die or anything. There's probably no need to worry about worry about me. no school tomorrow. :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:16 pm 

Florida, Great place to visit, but I am nice and happy in the Pacific Northwest 8-) No major storms, earthquakes, etc. It does occasionally get smoky from mountain forest fires, but nothing ever gets close to us. Give us an update after everything blows over and let us know you are o.k.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:16 pm 

Dodd wrote:
Florida, Great place to visit, but I am nice and happy in the Pacific Northwest 8-) No major storms, earthquakes, etc. It does occasionally get smoky from mountain forest fires, but nothing ever gets close to us.

What about exploding volcanos? I read somewhere that Mount St Helens isn't through throwing tantrums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:06 pm 

Ok, you may have a point, but I have never experienced one. I was living in southern Idaho at the time and we didn't get any ash. Now, had I been living where I do now in 1980, then I would have been hit by ash. (and missed school :lol: ) Still, for the most part, the weather is pretty mild compared to other parts of the US. This past summer I have been happy just not to have the humidity that my relatives in the East have had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:15 pm 

Hey Dodd!!! I could be wrong but wasn't there a earthquake near Seattle or near your state for that matter in the past couple years or a little further? Just checking!!!!! I think so any way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:29 pm 

Yes, but I am 300 miles away and never felt it. That was also a 1 in 50+ year event. There are no storm seasons around here except maybe wildfires. But those don't really affect the city areas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:27 pm 

Dodd,

My girlfriend won a trip to Seattle from her work and we will be there in the near future, do you live near there? I have only seen Seattle from above as I've flown through SeaTac airport a few times (and it's the only airport where the titanium rod in my leg sets off metal detectors). It's a very pretty city, but every time I've been there, it's so cloudy.

-mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:15 pm 

Sorry, I am about 4+ hours from Seattle. :? Sometimes I am glad :) other times I am not :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:28 am 

I can't help but thinking that if the WC2005 is held in Florida at the same time WC2003 was held in Toronto, it seems pretty risky. I'd rather not go all the way down there just to flee from the inevitable hurricane!

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:19 pm 

The storm was at its worst on Saturday and Sunday. We got maybe 12 inches of rain and the winds were maybe 65 mph, with gusts up to 80 mph. It was moving very slow, even coming to a stop at one point. The eye of the storm passed maybe 100 miles south of where I live, so it could have been much worse. The only damage we got was a small rip in the screen enclosure, and a break to part of the fence in the backyard.There was tons of branches and debree from the many trees around my house. The house to next to me lost another tree(the first one from charley). Power was only out for about a day, and the houses around me had power out for about 4 days. School was canceled tuesday and thursday ( Monday we got off for labor day). so along with last Friday, 3 days of school were cancelled. During a weaker part of the storm, I went outside and took a few pictures. I'll post those later. We were lucky, Hurricane Francis could have been much worse.

Unfortunately, another one, Hurricane Ivan might be here next week. There's a 25% chance it hits Florida.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:39 pm 

and now..ivan

pb 22.19
pb avg
27.61 = 26.74, 26.69, 26.98, 23.16, 26.14, 24.63, 23.71, (22.19), 30.41, (35.42), 34.97, 32.69

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:43 pm 

Hurricane Ivan missed central Florida, but it nailed Alabama, mississippi, and Loiusiana. And now I think there's a load of rain heading to the New England Area.

The soon to be Hurricane Jeane now has a predicted track through central Florida :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:45 pm 

stick in there Jeff, it will be over soon i hope :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:44 pm 

The new forecast says hurricane Jeane is dying and will be turning north before it reaches Florida.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:56 pm 

new orleans is lucky, they coulda been flooded and there br no new orleans right about now

pb 22.19
pb avg
27.61 = 26.74, 26.69, 26.98, 23.16, 26.14, 24.63, 23.71, (22.19), 30.41, (35.42), 34.97, 32.69

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:52 pm 

New orleans would be the last place to worry about flooding, although they are below sea level, their drainage system can pump 29 billion gallons of water per day, more water than flows through the Ohio river.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:33 pm 

Jeff

Anymore hurricanes that is in your path?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:07 pm 

Here's my news on Hurricane Jeanne. I will paraphrase the news reports starting from about 7 days ago.

7 days ago- "In about 3 days, Hurricane Jeanne will hit central Florida as a category 1, maybe category 2 hurricane."

6 days ago- "Hurricane Jeanne is weakening and will turn away from Florida making its way east into the Atlantic. There's no need for Florida to worry about Hurricane Jeanne"

2 days ago- "Hurricane Jeanne will make a loop, hitting the island of Haiti twice. But it will still be moving away from Florida into the Atlantic"

1 day ago- "Hurricane Jeanne will actually only be making half of the predicted loop. It will turn back to Florida, but will turn north before it reaches Florida."

Today- "Hurricane Jeanne will not make the northern turn before reaching Florida. It will reach Florida as a category 2 or 3 hurricane."

It will it land on Sunday. The hurricane will reach Florida maybe 200 miles south of where I live, then will move north straight up Florida. The eye of the current predicted path passes about 25 miles west of my county. The hurricane will weaken to a category one hurricane when it reaches here.

I'm sure the predicted path will change some, but it most likely won't change enough to miss Florida.

Post subject: Too Many Hurricanes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:13 am 

Jeff,
I feel for you. About 8 years ago we had a typhoon season like you're having. I think we were hit by 8 to 10 of them. Our School year started the last week of August, and we had 4 public holidays before Christmas. We were hit by so many typhoons, or their rainbands that year that I didn't have a 5 day school week until January. We had a few Big ones that hit us, and a couple of minor ones. Here we shut down if we have over 50mm of rainfall. It was a wonderful (?) year, 16 weeks of weather related days off. This year, Not a thing! darn!
Tape the windows and head for high ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:35 pm 

It wasn't as bad as it could have been. The eye passed about 100 miles south of here. The highest winds went up to about 70 mph. I didn't lose electricity, but I lost cable and internet connection for 2 days. Only one day of school was cancelled.

4 hurricanes hit Florida over a period of 6 weeks. The last time this happened to a state was with Texas and was about 100 years ago.

I'll be sure to let you know when the next hurricane comes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:12 pm 

I read that there is still 2 months left of hurricane season! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:53 pm 

skeneegee wrote:
What about exploding volcanos? I read somewhere that Mount St Helens isn't through throwing tantrums.

Er sorry I ever brought that up Dodd, what a coincidence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:45 pm 

The volcano burped again today. As long as the wind is blowing toward the ocean, I don't care what it does. :wink: Hopefully, It will continue blowing only steam and not cause too big of a problem. The big blast in 80 didn't hit where I was living at the time in Southern Idaho. They say something bigger is still predicted to happen in the near future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:35 pm 

skeneegee wrote:
skeneegee wrote:

Er sorry I ever brought that up Dodd, what a coincidence.

skeneegee wrote:
New orleans would be the last place to worry about flooding....

I promise to never underestimate mother nature again and will never again speak of disasters on the forum.

-mike grimsley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:12 pm 

Mike, New Orleans is 10 feet below sea level and constantly sinking lower. Frankly I'm surprised it's been around this long. Some people think that living in an earthquake zone is daft, but damn...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:17 am 

I am angry about some of our politicans (here in Germany).

Our environment minister made some comments which are out of the question for all of my friends I have spoken. I don't want to repeat the [Censored. Please be nice!] he wrote and I am not willing to start a political discussion here. I just want to make clear that the majority of Germans feel sorry for all the people who are affected by the disaster hurricane Katrina caused.

Me and my family have donated a bunch of bucks for the victims. I hope many of my fellow countrymen are doing the same.

I am praying for the victims.

Markus