Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What does your name mean?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:39 pm 

There are those of us that use our real names, Adam Zamora, Jin H. Kim, Sandy, etc... but for those of us who use another name like skeneegee, or riddler17, _pink, can you explain how you got that name and or why you use it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:12 pm 

well it's a boring story but since you asked.......

I was a construction electrician in Denver and one of the guys I worked with one day said to me "if you were a rapper, your name would be Skinny G" because I'm skinny and my last name is Grimsley. I blew it off thinking it would be the last I ever heard of it. He would call me that every day and eventually the project we were on together ended and we went to other projects. I got my best friend Robb a job at the company I worked for and eventually he worked with the guy who called me "Skinny G" and told Robb about it. Well one night I was hanging out with alot of my friends and Robb mentioned to them the name "Skinny G" and everyone started calling me that. We used to go to the bar near my house every sunday night and get drunk and sing karaoke. I was tired of hearing them call "Mike" and it be another Mike so I started putting Skinny G on the forms. Eventually another one of my friends suggested the alternate spelling and thats the way it remains to this day. It's good that I use that screenname here because there's already another Mike G here.

Are you sorry you asked?

-mike grimsley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:28 pm 

another boring story for you all...

Although some of my friends would respond to you "There are a thousand reasons we call him 'Pink' but WE all know the REAL reason!" as they waive their pinkie fingers in the air...

The first time I was called 'pink' was in 1980 when I fell in love with Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb". I played my sisters 'Wall' tape so much it broke in half from being worn thin... Over the years I have amassed some 700 or so b**tlegs, vids, books and such about PF and have contributed to an eMag (sparebricks.cjb.net I think, might be .org) doing b**tleg reviews but my time got thin, ya know, work, Rubiks, women... I added the underscore when online, for what reason I have no clue... I used to contrib to a PF forum with a weird graphical "P" but that just seemed to strange...

and I'm not telling you any of the other reasons my friends thought of... ;)

_pink

Brian Davis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:46 pm 

i use mistizo858 for almost everything i do online. this forum is one of the exceptions. it spelled incorrectly it should be mestizo858. mestizo is a name of a person who is half white and half filapino. the 858 is my area code. a simple but ingenious way of saying who i am and where im at. that is my little story.

Post subject: Re: What does your name mean?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:04 pm 

Adam Zamora wrote:
There are those of us that use our real names, Adam Zamora, Jin H. Kim, Sandy, etc... but for those of us who use another name like skeneegee, or riddler17, _pink, can you explain how you got that name and or why you use it?

First off, what makes you so sure Sandy is my real name?! Maybe it's an adjective to describe my overall cleanliness or something!

Second, I think it's worth posting why I use my real name in a world where most people do not. When I entered the inter-connected PC world about 15 years ago I used to visit those old ANSI BBSes on my super fast 9600 baud modem. Did a lot of chatting and other stupid kill-time activities. I used to use a screen name back then, although I'm still not entirely sure why.

When I started running my own BBS ("Symposium" on Excalibur software) I switched to using my real name. Even though I was only 20 years old, I wanted to be seen as the responsible administrator rather than yet another 14 year old BSS owner with a god complex. I still had a robust god complex, of course, but I think I managed to hide it well!

These days, the only time I use an alternative is when Sandy is taken by someone else. Frankly, I can see only two reasons for using screen-names:

1) For those who identify with their screen-names. In this case, the screen name is probably a real life nick-name and it's perfectly understandable if they prefer it to their given name. I've never had a nick-name, so I'm not sure if this is the case or not.

2) The only other reason I can see for it is the desire for annonymity due to fears of who might be watching. I guess I don't put much weight into that, so I've never worried about using my real name. I suppose my desire to be ME is stronger than my desire to prevent someone else from being me!

So I remain...

Sandy!

(Another boring story safely saved in this thread!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:37 pm 

Jeff is short for Jeff. At some point when I was young, I guess everyone got lazy of saying the extra syllabal in my name. But I'm sure this is the case for many people. The "o" in my last name is silent. Goetz is pronounced as "Getz". Back in the day, everyone used to call me Feeny. He is the teacher from the show "Boy Meets World". But that name only lasted a few years, pretty the same amount of time it took everyone to stop watching the show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:48 pm 

Im sorry if i offended anyone, this thread wasnt ment to be that way. i was just curious what peoples names mean. i know that i use my real name when i can, but only use an online name (mistizo858) when i cant use my real name. for instance aol aim you have to have a unique name, or yahoo groups. all of the popular sites my name is taken.

i dont know if your real name is Sandy but i was assuming. if thats not your real name then i made an A** of myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:25 pm 

Adam Zamora wrote:
i dont know if your real name is Sandy but i was assuming. if thats not your real name then i made an A** of myself.

Ooops. I guess the lack of smilies in both mine and Jeff's messages is to blame. If I may speak on his behalf, everything we've said was just poking sarcastic fun. Don't mind me... I just took the easy opportunity to spout off about how I prefer the use of real names!

Sandy IS my real name, Adam, and although I'm not particularly proud of having what is repeatedly mistaken for a female name, I use it anyhow. And I shower at least 6 times a week, so I am really only sandy when I come from the beach... which isn't very often 'cause my pale skin usually burns before I manage to get my t-shirt fully off.

Anyway, back onto the off-topic topic. I think this is a great idea for a thread. I have often wondered where other people get their names from as well. As "boring" as everyone says their stories are, they are still interesting to read about. So let's keep the thread going! What do sausage, biffman, katsmom, jhe70, Aswapati, Swedishlf, and others mean?

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:46 pm 

Dodd is short for Dodd and nothing else. :) No family history or anything, my mom saw it and liked it. I have seen it as a last name many times, but only one other time as a first name. My ebay name is a different story. My wife chose it back before I used ebay for collecting, selling, etc. It came about from our beagle that we had just gotten. He is now a fat couch potatoe, especially when the weather is bad outside. With ebay's change policy, I never have had a desire to change it. I don't think I would want a more restrictive ebay id anyway. Something like "Icollectrubikpuzzles" may cause other bidders to raise the price on something I bid on :o Of course that is why there is sniping programs 8-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:49 pm 

Sandy wrote:
although I'm not particularly proud of having what is repeatedly mistaken for a female name, I use it anyhow.

I know exactly how you feel!! 8-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:11 pm 

Why Riddler17?

When I opened my eBay account a friend, who already has been using eBay for a few month prior, recommend not to use my name or email address. So, at the time I was into riddles and my lucky number was/is 17 for reasons I wouldn't bore you with. Hence the logical Riddler17. Since then my interest has shifted back to mechanical puzzles but the name stay (for now). Which brings me to the question, what if one of us wants to change their name on this site, is that possible? I know on eBay you can change names and still keep the feedback profile. Just a thought.

Gabe

PS Argentina Beat The US in basketball.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:15 pm 

blogan was my first username assigned to me (Bryan Logan), so I just kept using that because it's been mostly available, except in a few cases. Mostly because someone else used it, but one time it got rejected with an error message of "Your nickname is obscene."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:18 pm 

Well, I tend to go by Darryl because it's my first name. I usually sign most of my emails with a "-d" just because I'm too lazy to type out the whole thing. Also when i was young my family used to just call me "D". That kind of wore off, but lately it's been coming back. I guess I kind of like "D" for informal stuff. If I strictly went by "D" people could mistake that (once again) for a female's name.

-d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:08 pm 

you should be able to change your name under your "profile"

this name..well..has only been used once..here mainly becuase IF anyone knew me, than thats most likely how..the hawk..

my actual name is Clayne..dont ask me how, maybe my motherrr knows?? it came from my dads name (clay) and i dunno where the 'ne' came from. ive only seen one other person named clayne and it wasnt even his birth name, he changed to it. hes an actor that played as a best friend in some movie called "a walk to remember".

sometimes ill use Clayno, im not sure who started it but it just did about last year and hasnt stopped since. if you noticed my xanga is Clayno_Insano which is an extension of my nickname that is used every so often and i dont think it needs its explaining eh? :wink:

-Clayno-

pb 22.19
pb avg
27.61 = 26.74, 26.69, 26.98, 23.16, 26.14, 24.63, 23.71, (22.19), 30.41, (35.42), 34.97, 32.69

Post subject: Quadricode
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:29 am 

Quadricode.
I dont know how i thought of it. Well, I kind of do. My mind, to others that is, is in code. Always different then others, and i usually think mathematically, or numerically.
I devised Quad from my 4 faceted personality.
1. Serious/Philosophical side
2. Genious, excessivly thought provoked/trance/zone
3. Humor.funny side
4. Naughty (Ya know, teenage sexual drive typa thing) Side :D

Yep.
When I use multiple alias', I use a different prefix, such as Decicode, or Triskaidecacode.

Im usually refered to as "Quad" to shorten it up

G3(spark): '99 - '03
G4(blossom): '04 - mid '07
G5(degradation): mid '07 - present (aka: youtube generation)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:57 am 

Richard Fish and iamasmallfish (ebay).
Back in my teens I was a competitive swimmer and was training 3 times a day, 6 days a week..............sure put pay to any desire to meet girls and hang out on street corners :cry: . My friends began calling me Fish...it's stuck even now as a 30 something........crazy thing is I swim more like a brick these days!
My 'actual name' is Richard Smyton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:22 pm 

Kid_With_Teh_moHawk wrote:
sometimes ill use Clayno, im not sure who started it but it just did about last year and hasnt stopped since. if you noticed my xanga is Clayno_Insano which is an extension of my nickname that is used every so often and i dont think it needs its explaining eh? :wink:

-Clayno-

you told me some chick started that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:34 pm 

Sausage... my mum called me this as a baby so it's more than a nick. But the problem is, she can't remember why she called me that. I was called it through school and still sometimes by colleges etc.

We'll never really know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:12 am 

Jaap is the short name that everyone calls me. It is a common Dutch name which is short for Jacob, so it would be Jack or Jake in English.

My actual given names are Berend Jan Jakob, named after my grandfather (Berend Jakob) and my father (Jan). I've been told my grandfather didn't like the fact that I was called Jaap instead of Berend.

My surname Scherphuis literally means sharp-house, so the ph in the middle is not pronounced as f. If people say something like skurfius it sounds like a disease.

Jaap's Puzzle Page:
http://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:54 pm 

My given name is Jacob Bartlett. I prefer Jake. The origin of biffman is as follows:

Very early in my career, my colleagues gave everyone nicknames, mine being Bruno after a famous Canadian actor Bruno Gerrusi of "Beachcombers" fame. We won't get into why :oops:

For some reason, those guys also liked calling me biff. I think it was from a movie character. So in essence I had two regular nicks.

Then along came Bart Simpson and Bartman, my name immediately evolved to biffman and the previous two died.

So, when asked for a username, I almost always use biffman. That name has stuck for quite a few years now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:41 pm 

dose anyone know whats up with clayne, he stoped talking to me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:46 pm 

cubed punk wrote:
dose anyone know whats up with clayne, he stoped talking to me

He only logs on every few days, He'll be back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:19 pm 

yea and when he is loged on he dosnt talk to me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:24 pm 

cubed punk wrote:
yea and when he is loged on he dosnt talk to me

Me either, most of the time. Sometimes he does though, it could be one of his family using the computer and msn messenger logs on automatically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:52 pm 

i THINK it was some chick that started my name im not sure

and the the reason for no talk lately is that my name is in my dads laptop and it does indeed sign on automatically, and my dad has been pretty unhappy bout it. does anyone know how to make it stop signing on on my dads laptop??

also im not on the computer much at all the past week and maybe longer..my computer broke down upstairs and im getting it fixed this weekend

and the explain how im on now is becuase im on my dads at the moment and in fact, some one just messaged me on msn AHH the humanity i cant get it to stop..

pb 22.19
pb avg
27.61 = 26.74, 26.69, 26.98, 23.16, 26.14, 24.63, 23.71, (22.19), 30.41, (35.42), 34.97, 32.69

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:16 pm 

Kid_With_Teh_moHawk wrote:
does anyone know how to make it stop signing on on my dads laptop??

in the START menu go to RUN
in the box type msconfig
choose the STARTUP tab
uncheck the msmsgs box
click ok
restart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:40 pm 

yea man

ive been trying to get it to stop doing that for quite a while now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:54 pm 

thanks a bunch, eh im gunna try that!!

pb 22.19
pb avg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:52 pm 

my name is self explanatory "cubed(rubik freak) punk(its all about the music)

oh by the way GO VEGGIETARITAN

Post subject: Names
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:42 pm 

nothing so exciting as all of yours. My real name is Roxanne Wong (my husband is chinese, not me). Well, Roxanne is just to difficult for people to say here and every one normally calls me Rox (ugh, and some times it comes out Rox Wrong when they are trying to speak English) 3 years ago I had my daughter Katherine, and my name just evolved into Kat's mom. (evidently Katherine is not a nice enough name for family and friends here, they all call her Kat Kat, but that's another story.)
With motherhood I lost my identity to all but my students and a few of my long time friends So Katsmom it is.

Rox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:18 am 

Not so exciting, too...
It is the name of my EBAY-account. When I registered for EBAY, I wanted to choose the name I give all of my characters in several RPGs. But "Entor" was already choosen by somebody else and so was "Perdia" (my second favourite name). Therefore I decided to use a combination.
Andreas