Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Reputation System
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:53 am 

I've seen the idea at several other places, and I was wondering what the TPer's would have to say about it. People are worried about posts not following the rules, or not adding anything worth while to the forum. Hopefully this will help discourage 'reckless' posting and encourage more posts of higher caliber.

Here is a quick copy and paste of a FAQ from another forum.

Quote:
What is the Reputation System?
The reputation system is very similar to the Karma system seen on other popular websites and forums (Slashdot.org, for example). Its purpose is to hopefully give users an idea of how respected, knowledgeable, helpful, gracious, etc., a person is. It is a system in which you rate your peers. It is a system that, hopefully, will make you think twice about your posts.

How do I give reputation?
There is a button in the lower left corner of each post. Click that button to display the reputation box:

After the rep box displays, choose positive or negative and always leave a comment so the person knows why you're giving them the rep.

Will the person know who left them rep?
No, not unless you tell them. You can only see the post and the comment for each rep point given, not who left it. Often though, people will leave their name in the comment so you know who it's from. However if you want to remain anonymous, you are able to do so.

How much reputation can I give out? Are there any limits?
There are quite a few limits in place to prevent minor abuse of the reputation system. Obviously there cannot be a flawless system, but these limits try to curb any intentional abuse. You must have 10 posts and 10 reputation points in order for your reputation to count on other people. Until you meet those requirements, your reputation will show up as grey dots (see below).

Everybody is limited to giving out 20 reputations per day; you cannot give the same person reputation until you have given reputation to 10 other people. This prevents friends from giving 20 reputations to the same person every day.

How do I see what reputation people have left me? How do I know how many rep points I have?
If you log into your Profile (linked from the top of every page), you'll see a list of the last 15 reputation points you received. In the upper right is your reputation score.

Someone gave me bad/good reputation and I want it removed. What can I do?
If you have a valid complaint about reputation, send a private message
to any moderator with a link to the post you were given incorrect reputation. All complaints will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis, and changes to the reputation are not guaranteed.

What do the green, red, and grey dots mean?
A green dot indicates that you were given positive reputation. A red dot indicates that you were given negative reputation. A grey dot indicates that the user gave you reputation, but it counted neither positive or negative.

Why would a reputation point not count?
When a new user first starts out, their reputation does not count. There are a few factors that determine when their reputation should start counting. Some of those factors are the number of posts, the number of days they have been registered, and the number of reputation points that have been given to them.

In addition, even long-term members may not count if their reputation score is not at least 10.

When my reputation starts to count, do my previous grey dots start to count?
No, once a reputation value has been given (negative, positive, or neutral) the point values will never change retroactively. If you give a zero-point reputation, it will remain a zero-point reputation no matter how high or low your reputation point values become.

What are good reasons to leave positive reputation?
Reputation should be given to people who post meaningful, helpful, and thoughful posts. Any post that contributes to the thread in a positive way probably deserves positive reputation. This does not mean that you agree with what was said; the point brought up may be completely opposite to what you believe, but it may be a good point nonetheless, and worthy of a pat on the back. Giving positive reputation to someone because they are your friend and deserve to have a few more green dots next to their name isn't a good reason to give positive reputation.

What are good reasons to leave negative reputation?
Negative reputation should be given if the person is posting something that detracts from the conversation. If the post is rude, inappropriate, breaks forum rules, is not gracious, etc; these are all good reasons to give negative reputation. If you have a personal grudge with someone, it is not appropriate to give them negative reputation without reason. Giving negative reputation because you don't agree with what was said is not an appropraite use of the reputation system. People are entitled to their own opinions, and just because you don't agree doesn't mean the user was wrong or not contributing to the conversation.

Do I have to participate in the reputation system?
The reputation system is completely optional. But, by participating in discussion in our forums you are eligible to receive positive and negative reputation points from other users. You are not obligated to do so for others. However, the more people that use the system, the better and more reliable it becomes.

Key point, you are required, in this forum's case at least, to have a Reputation score of positive 10.

Negative points do lower the score.

If a member's score is -1, they are required to review the rules before being allowed to post. I've seen this taken out to a ridiculous extent on some forums. Each bullet point of the rules on a separate page with a 30 second timer before allowing you to the next page.

If a member's score drops even further, temporary or permanent banning could take place.

It may sound rough, but honestly it is not that hard to follow the rules and post in a constructive manner.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Noah

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject: Re: Reputation System
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:18 am 

This seems like a good idea, however, I believe that some people might abuse this system by giving people they don't necessarily care for a poor rating. No offense to the young members of TP, but kids are very emotional and rash at times. If someone upsets them with even a single post that could create a permanent bias toward that person. Just food for thought. I do like the general concept, though. Unfortunately, I don't think it will work on this site, but give it a try anyway...for a while at least.

- Billy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:35 am 

Does phpBB3 even support something like this?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:57 am 

I have mixed feelings about this, but overall I don't think I'd want it. I think we already have a pretty good idea of who are the more "respected, knowledgeable, helpful, gracious, etc." people on the forum. We don't need a score to define that.

Also, if everyone starts at 0 and the reputation that they give doesn't count, how is anyone ever supposed to reach 10 (or change their score at all, for that matter)?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:02 pm 

Danny Devitt wrote:
I have mixed feelings about this, but overall I don't think I'd want it. I think we already have a pretty good idea of who are the more "respected, knowledgeable, helpful, gracious, etc." people on the forum. We don't need a score to define that.

Also, if everyone starts at 0 and the reputation that they give doesn't count, how is anyone ever supposed to reach 10 (or change their score at all, for that matter)?

Well you'd have to start somewhere. I'd imagine moderators could be exempt from the "Need 10" rule.

The point of this is less to establish a social hierarchy, but to promote better post quality.

25, Male

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:13 pm 

Noah wrote:
promote better post quality.

Now, that is a GREAT way to put that. After thinking about it that way I must say that this seems a bit better of idea. I still think that it probably won't work on here, but I'm much more inclined to try this system out for a while.

One real problem I see with that, unfortunately, is that "post quality" is too subjective. One person could think that a post is of great value and another could think that it is useless, uncalled for, inappropriate, etc. Reading something that someone wrote can be interpreted in a completely different way than the writer intended. :(

I am for the idea now, though...at least for test period. :wink:

- Billy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:31 pm 

Hmm. On many other forums, this reputation system is simply a way for the "cool crowd" to let everyone know who they're supposed to aspire to be one day. I wouldn't want that to happen here.

Just by browsing around and occasionally posting, I've found many members that I can respect:
as a mathematician
as a collector
as an inventor
as a builder
as a community builder
etc.

I think post content itself should be an indicator of reputation, not a tally system where people could just vote for their friends. The system has good intentions, of course, on paper but it rarely plays out alright in reality.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:26 pm 

Notoday, I understand completely where you're coming from, but what I feel this would be mostly useful for, than identifying established members, is to help the unestablished members follow the rules more quickly, help them learn to have more informational posts, as well as weed out the members who chose to no follow the rules and have no intention of becoming a useful and functioning member in the community.

For those of you who have been around long enough to remember, it would be something to separate respecting members, from people such as Jimbob. (He was a rude and disrespectful member back in the day who has long since been banned.)

25, Male

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:50 pm 

An interesting concept and I would be interested to see if anyone is of the belief that rating systems like this has been in anyway successful on similar forums to ours. My personal belief is that it hasn't.

While it is true that some young members do start out a little rough (like enthusiastic fans let loose in a shop), yes they tend to skim over the rules. No they don't get away with it. They are gently reminded of the rules and they start to settle in.

If poor post quality is ongoing by anyone in particular, you can always let me know. There is also the "Report Post" button. You'd be surprised how underused that is.

Case in point. Anthony Greenhill's post took a 5 year bump by a new member. There was a lot of activity but did anyone hit the "Report Post" button? I hope so. I don't know. The extra activity was cut and tossed away before I checked the reported posts log.

The point is, I check each report and it is the fastest way to get something to my attention and resolved, next to a PM.

I recommend to use the tools available to us before looking at alternative ideas, but that is my opinion.

Remember too that we should encourage young people who are new to our hobby, and steer them the right way rather than try and toss them aside. As they grow up here and show more self-restraint, their contribution is greater. We've seen it with many over the years.

Rude people, I remember the name mentioned above... do I ever. I will not tolerate those people, they don't last long. This makes us VERY unique amongst internet forums, and especially forums that are related to us.

You let people do or say anything they like, and see what becomes of things. I'm getting off the point sorry.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:42 pm 

i personally think that there should be a thanks system instead of a rep system

what a thanks system is is a button at the bottom of everybody's post and if you click it it gives that person a thanks.

and on each post you write it gives how many thanks that you have received and how many you have given.

Personal Bests -single(avg of 12)
3x3-22.21(27.09)
4x4-1:28.18(1:53.49)
5x5-3:23.99(3:55.61)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:07 pm 

Greetings All,

I think that such a reputation rating system is a terrible idea. It's too easily abused; it can become little more than a means of gossiping, and it can quickly turn a friendly group into a number of cliques.

Who among us aren't capable of detecting and assessing thing on our own? If someone isn't capable why should the board cater to them?

I see no legitimate reason for anyone to pass judgement on anyone else. We do not need anything like a reputation system, which can place a chill on the practice of free speech.

Regards,

David J

!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:19 pm 

My two cents...

A couple of years ago, I might have agreed with Noah. But it seems that the controlled registration
as well as the addition of Jin has helped to make this forum as good as before.
Remember, now there are even more members than in the past, as well as many more forums!
And I used to complain a lot about new young users misbehaving in the past, while now I cannot remember
when was the last time I did!

I think that the admins are doing an excellent job, while the site has also had a very exciting "face lift".
From our part, we can contribute by helping the admins to trace anything out of order using the little red button.

But I can surely understand Noah, sometimes, things become slightly annoying!

;)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:54 pm 

Don't get me wrong. I have no problems with anyone on the site or anything. Just in my absence I've this used in several other locations with varying degrees of success and just thought it might be an idea to run by TP.

I'm fine either way. I haven't really seen much of the recent behavior, so if it's under control, there is no reason for this sort of system.

25, Male

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:23 pm 

sausage wrote:

If poor post quality is ongoing by anyone in particular, you can always let me know. There is also the "Report Post" button. You'd be surprised how underused that is.

Couldn't this be misused or over used as well as what the Reputation System is? I'm surprised it hasn't yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:33 pm 

Noah wrote:
Don't get me wrong. I have no problems with anyone on the site or anything. Just in my absence I've this used in several other locations with varying degrees of success and just thought it might be an idea to run by TP.

I'm fine either way. I haven't really seen much of the recent behavior, so if it's under control, there is no reason for this sort of system.

It's a good thing to bring up though. We do need to assess ourselves from time to time especially if it seems like our balance is going a little out, or if a bad pattern is creeping in.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:33 pm 

I hope I'm not too late to add my 2 cents.

The other forum I read recently added a rep system. The first month or so it was all crazy with everyone repping everyone else's posts whether it deserved it or not. Part of this was that once someone reached a certain amount of points, they would get a free t-shirt. Then it just sort of died down. Now people still get rep points, but more reasonably. Also by now, a lot of people have forgotten about it it seems.

I don't think it's a bad system or anything, I just don't think it's all that useful, and I'd rather see efforts put into other aspects of the forum.

-d

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:59 pm 

Maybe you could have it hide the name and signature before they rate