Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hurricane Charly
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:28 am 

About four days ago on Friday night, the category 4 hurricane Charly hit land at south western Florida and made its path right to where I live. The effects from the storm were tough, but today, I can say that everything is almost back to normal. The eye of the hurricane came close close to where I live. It might have even gone over us. luckily, it lowered to a category 2 hurricane when it came. We lost power that night and power came back about one day later. We also lost cable and internet connection, which just came back about 30 minutues ago. There was do damage to the house but there a was ton of debree outside. a 50ft tree fell from our neibors yard, into our driveway, landing about 3 feet away from our van. Across the street another huge tree took down a street light. We got lucky, but we still had to spend many hours cleaning up the huge mess. Another problem is that almost all the gas stations are out of gas. Hopefully, the gas in our cars should last until the gas stations get another gas supply. Because of all these problems, and since people still don't have power back yet, school was cancelled for 3 days and they might even cancel more. Ironicaly, huricane season hasn't even started yet. I just hope this doesn't happen again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:54 am 

Glad to hear you came out of it okay.

For the life of me I can't figure out why people live in the path of things like hurricanes, tornadoes and strong earthquakes.

I'll happily shovel snow from my driveway for an extra month each year up here in Canada as long as it means I don't have to rebuild my house every time Mother Nature throws a fit.

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:08 am 

The last hurricane that came over orlando was hurrican Donna, and that was about 40 years ago. Hurricanes usually aren't that much of a problem because they usually turn north before they get to florida.

I just learned that more school was cancelled. Now I go back monday. But because of all these missed days, the county is going to make us go to school during some of the days that would have been our summer and winter vacation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:12 pm 

Sandy wrote:
For the life of me I can't figure out why people live in the path of things like hurricanes, tornadoes and strong earthquakes.
Sandy

I totally agree, I had to move here to Oakland from Denver because my girlfriend got a great job out here and it's a step towards her goal of getting transferred to Hawaii. The closest thing to natural disasters in Denver are blizzards, which are more fun than anything else. I am definitely not looking forward to experiencing my first earthquake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:56 pm 

being a native San Diegan i have been through my share of earthquakes. they last 30 seconds. vs a snow storm that lasts 3 months or all winter. i would much rather have an earthquake every few years then snow every year for 3 months or longer. just my opinion.

my concern is that jeff said its not even hurricane season yet. when is hurricane season? is it going to be in November? will hurricane season affect next years WC2005 in Orlando? should we be worried? :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:24 pm 

It seems that I had my facts wrong about the start of hurricane season. I just found out that that actual atlantic hurricane season lasts from June 1 to October 31. The chances that another hurricane comes over Orlando are low and the chances would be even lower for one to come during November. But if someone is scared that a hurricane might come during the world championship, I suggest he or she produce a large amount of battery powered cubes to be used when the power goes out. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:39 pm 

cool!

the worst thing i was thinking about is everyone who cubes meets in one place, WC 2005, we all died from a hurricane and no one cubes no more. :oops:

NOOOOOOO :cry:

Just joking around im still going :D

i want a battery powered cube!