Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 791 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cubesmith Update
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:15 am 

Yeah, I got a little impatient of waiting for word as to when (if ever) we would get the tiles, so I ordered a set of squares for the V-Cube 6 that I'm going to try to cut manually. I'll need to find access to one of those paper shears, though. The V-Cube 7 I've already done chessboard mods with, so I just need to resticker - I'm not going to even attempt to cut out all those little edge pieces on the V7...

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:48 pm 

Super Square-1 sets and singles are now available, as well as fluorescent orange tile singles.
We are working on getting a die for V-cube tiles.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:17 am 

Thanks for that! You guys are great! :D

I've already ordered 5 of those SS-1 sets as well as some singles. And with my v-7 coming today, I'll be in line for tiles as well.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:44 am 

cubegrrrl wrote:
Super Square-1 sets and singles are now available, as well as fluorescent orange tile singles.
Thanks, yay!!! :mrgreen: :solved: :scrambled:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:58 am 

This is starting to be amazing. See how this store have growed in just 1 year.

I recall when I asked chris for fluorescent custom colors for my mefferts megaminx. And he said he could print some, and he added the option to the store. Then more and more stuff came, Pyraminx stickers ect :D

And look at cubesmith now! Simply amazing! :)

I will order the V cube tiles! Cant wait for them, (no I dont want to cut my own like memyself&pi)

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:32 am 

cubegrrrl wrote:

Ahhhh! I totally just restickered my V7 :(

Guess I am going to have to spend another few hours tiling. I am also planning on buying Megaminx stickers.

Along the lines of the megaminx...do you plan to ever carry megaminx tiles?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:54 am 

malevolant wrote:

Page 6 of this thread (quoting cubegrrrl):

Quote:
As I've mentioned before, we know you guys want Megaminx tiles, but we don't have enough colors to offer a 12 color set yet. We are working on getting new colors of tiles made, but don't hold your breath, it's a time consuming process and may take a while...Once 12 colors are available, we can reconsider a Megaminx tile set.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:33 am 

Alex wrote:
malevolant wrote:

Page 6 of this thread (quoting cubegrrrl):

Quote:
As I've mentioned before, we know you guys want Megaminx tiles, but we don't have enough colors to offer a 12 color set yet. We are working on getting new colors of tiles made, but don't hold your breath, it's a time consuming process and may take a while...Once 12 colors are available, we can reconsider a Megaminx tile set.

>.> Thanks Alex. Sorry I made you look through the thread like that. I read the first few pages and then went to the end to see the most recent updates.

Hopefully more colors become available so I can tile the new megaminx coming soon :D

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:22 pm 

With the lowered prices of the v6 and v7, I would expect the v6 and v7 tiles to sell pretty quickly when you can afford the dies to make them. :D

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:56 am 

Cubegrrl, I have a question. Does the company that makes your chrome stickers offer any additional colors? Personally I would love to have enough colors to sticker a Megaminx with, but if that's not possible then I understand. :)

(Also, as an aside, there are currently just enough colors to offer Octagon Barrel and Half-Truncated sets in chrome, if you wanted to do that.)

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:28 pm 

Jared wrote:
Cubegrrl, I have a question. Does the company that makes your chrome stickers offer any additional colors? Personally I would love to have enough colors to sticker a Megaminx with, but if that's not possible then I understand. :)

(Also, as an aside, there are currently just enough colors to offer Octagon Barrel and Half-Truncated sets in chrome, if you wanted to do that.)

I think that with the new chrome colors we just added (bright pink, purple, light blue, and black) we now offer all of the chrome colors available...I'll double check, though.

Edit: We checked, there are no more chrome colors available from our supplier than what we already offer. Sorry :(

Last edited by cubegrrrl on Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:20 pm 

Thanks. That's what I figured, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:13 pm 

Here is a photo comparing the new flourescent orange tiles to the other two shades of orange that Cubesmith has offered. From left to right, the classic standard orange, flourescent orange, and light orange. The flourescent definitely has the best contrast of the three. It makes the other shades look dull.

Whets my appetite for more flourescent colors on the tiles! Yellow, green...?

Chris

Attachments:
florangetile.jpg
florangetile.jpg [ 57.96 KiB | Viewed 5013 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:36 am 

Thank you very much Pelley, looks like I will have to order one more time from cubesmith :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:23 pm 

I'd love to see Mastermorphix stickers soon *Hint hint*

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:53 pm 

Cubegrrrl, are you going to offer V-cube tile logos as well?

Also, pelley is right, the florescent orange is nice and bright. Out in the sun, it almost glows. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:10 pm 

Retr0 wrote:

Are you talking about the pillowed triangle puzzle Mefferts is offering? (We've had it called Mastermorphix, Mastermorphinx, Master Pyramorphinx... and a bunch of other variations, so I'm a little confused about whether this is the same puzzle :) ) If so, then yes, stickers will be available soon. We have the artwork, just need to find the time to get them on the site. Same goes for Golden Cubes, which are going to be difficult due to the 6 different faces. We'll most likely be offering one six color set, and the rest will be one color sets (a "single" with six faces, similar to the way we sell square-1 singles).

ejisfun wrote:
Cubegrrrl, are you going to offer V-cube tile logos as well?

Also, pelley is right, the florescent orange is nice and bright. Out in the sun, it almost glows. :D

Yeah, V-Cube logos will be available whenever we end up doing V-Cube tiles.

I really wish I could get a picture of the fluorescent tiles that accurately reflects how they look in person, but I'm not a photography expert, so they ended up quite dull...Any suggestions? I have a decent camera, but all the settings confuse me. I've tried natural and artificial light, flash and no flash...I just can't figure it out. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:14 pm 

cubegrrrl wrote:
I really wish I could get a picture of the fluorescent tiles that accurately reflects how they look in person, but I'm not a photography expert, so they ended up quite dull...Any suggestions?

Give free samples to competition organizers and they'll show them off at a competition :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:38 pm 

cubegrrrl wrote:
Retr0 wrote:

Are you talking about the pillowed triangle puzzle Mefferts is offering? (We've had it called Mastermorphix, Mastermorphinx, Master Pyramorphinx... and a bunch of other variations, so I'm a little confused about whether this is the same puzzle :) ) If so, then yes, stickers will be available soon. We have the artwork, just need to find the time to get them on the site. Same goes for Golden Cubes, which are going to be difficult due to the 6 different faces. We'll most likely be offering one six color set, and the rest will be one color sets (a "single" with six faces, similar to the way we sell square-1 singles).

The Mastermorphix that Mefferts sells is the original Reuleaux Mastermorphix was made by Puzzlemaster42

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11852&p=136791&hilit=+Reuleaux+Mastermorphix#p136791

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:42 pm 

Darren Grewe wrote:
cubegrrrl wrote:
Retr0 wrote:

The Mastermorphix that Mefferts sells is the original Reuleaux Mastermorphix was made by Puzzlemaster42

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11852&p=136791&hilit=+Reuleaux+Mastermorphix#p136791

No it's not. I have both and they are definitely not the same. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:18 am 

cubegrrrl wrote:
I really wish I could get a picture of the fluorescent tiles that accurately reflects how they look in person, but I'm not a photography expert, so they ended up quite dull...Any suggestions? I have a decent camera, but all the settings confuse me. I've tried natural and artificial light, flash and no flash...I just can't figure it out. :(

To get the colour as accurate as possible you could try setting the white balance (WB) manually. Although I must say the image above looks quite nice, so I'm not sure it'll help much (you either have a really decent camera that set it for you, or you know how to do it already). The problem probably is that the image cannot reflect the colours to the extent the tiles do.

Your camera manual should have something to say about that. You'll need a white or gray piece of cardboard or similar (make sure it's really grey and not transparent or slightly coloured). Put it where the cube is, point your camera towards it as if you'll take the photo (the focusing field should be on the cardboard) and press whatever WB button your manual tells you to. It will look as if the camera took a picture, and the image on the screen should be closer to the real colour. Again, I don't think it'll help with flourescent colours.

Anyway, don't waste too much time on it, I'm waiting impatiently for the Mastermorphinx and Golden Cube stickers :D Not to mention the V-cubes tiles!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:03 pm 

Golden Cube and Master Pyramorphinx stickers are now available.

Chrome vinyl logos will be coming soon. We will be working in the next couple of weeks to print new tile colors - light blue, light pink, light orange, and light green. We don't know yet when they'll be available, but I'll post here when they're ready.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:19 am 

cubegrrrl wrote:

Florescent materials will only glow when you expose them to a higher energy light than the colors they emit. Most artificial light sources don't put off anything higher than blue. Incandescent bulbs are just about the worst light source that you can use, as the blue end of the spectrum is weak. Sunlight works because the sun is much hotter than a light bulb and thus emits UV-A light, which causes florescent materials to glow, as well as UV-B light, which causes sunburns and bleaches some organic dyes.

What you need is a reliable source of UV-A light, which is harmless.

Get a blacklight.

Hardware stores such as Lowes or Home Depot sell them as long tubes, or you can buy a portable one at novelty gift shops such as Spencer's.

If you go the hardware route, there are also two different versions of the Blacklight tubes that you can buy. One of them appears black and is mostly opaque to visible light, giving off a deep violet hue that causes florescent colors, even certain fibers such as cotton, to glow fiercely in the dark. Those type are fun for special effects, but are no good for digital photography. There is also a white colored UV light, which puts off a bluish-white color in addition to the UV. A lot of bars and Bowling alleys use those for mood effects because they put out a usable amount of practical light as well.

If you take a couple of photos of the tile/sticker sets under those white/UV type lamps, then the florescent tiles/stickers will show up magnificently. Or you could place one "blacklight" tube and one standard "cool white" tube (like they use in offices), both of the same wattage, into a twin fixture and achieve pretty much the same effect.

Yeah, some might call it cheating, but with a good balance of white and UVA from the same lamp source, you should be able to get a realistic photo of the materials without the need to touch up the image. The UV light source will enhance the colors of the florescent material for you. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:39 am 

stardust4ever wrote:
What you need is a reliable source of UV-A light, which is harmless.

Get a blacklight.

Yeah, in the photo above I just used a full spectrum flourescent light. Just make sure the flourescent face of the cube is pointed away from sunlight or it will appear washed out instead of vibrant. An important factor is also to have a contrasting color (like red) to give it some context. I find the flourescent green harder to photograph.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:06 pm 

Could someone give a quick review of the Fluorescent Orange Tiles, please? I was going to order a few sets and wanted to make sure that, since they are different than the other colors, they were the same texture and the ink doesn't rub off, or anything like that. If everything is fine with these then I can't wait for more colors!

Will we be seeing a Megaminx tile set soon? :D

Thanks.

- Billy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:14 pm 

The fluorescent orange tiles are great. I haven't had any problems with the ink rubbing off, and the texture is the same.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:23 pm 

ejisfun wrote:
The fluorescent orange tiles are great. I haven't had any problems with the ink rubbing off, and the texture is the same.

Thanks. I'm ordering some. Now I really can't wait for more colors! 8-)

- Billy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:35 pm 

lonogod wrote:
Could someone give a quick review of the Fluorescent Orange Tiles, please?

Don't forget to read our info page on the fluorescent tiles:
http://cubesmith.com/flortileinfo.htm
The ink used to print the fluorescent tiles is different than the ink used on our standard colors.
**Because of the type of ink used, care must be taken not to leave the fluorescent tiles in direct sunlight for extended periods of time, as the color is likely to fade much more quickly than the standard colors.
**Another problem caused by this type of ink is that peeling up a fluorescent tile (ex. during application, to line it up better) can cause the ink to be pulled from the lexan it is printed on. Because of this, please be sure your fluorescent tiles are lined up where you want them before applying them to the puzzle.

stardust4ever wrote:
Suggestion for photos

Thanks, I will try this next time I take photos. We have trouble with taking pictures in natural sunlight because we live in such a windy town...It's usually more frustrating than productive. I have a blacklight, so I will try that out. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:32 pm 

I did read that info on your site. Since none of the questions I asked here were answered by your site, I asked the forum members to assist me with my inquiry...and got an answer quickly. Although, my last question could only be answered by you, I believe. Any update on the Megaminx tiles? Thanks. :wink:

- Billy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:17 pm 

lonogod wrote:
I did read that info on your site. Since none of the questions I asked here were answered by your site, I asked the forum members to assist me with my inquiry...and got an answer quickly. Although, my last question could only be answered by you, I believe. Any update on the Megaminx tiles? Thanks. :wink:

- Billy

I actually pointed it out because it was mentioned that the ink does not rub off, but as we explain on the site, it can pull off of the plastic a lot more easily than our standard colors...But if you read the page then you knew that :wink:

No update yet on Megaminx tiles. We have only added one new tile color, I think, since the last update...We are working on a print run of tiles right now, but it is slow going due to the awful heat here in Southern California. Once this run is done, though, we should have light green, light orange, light blue, and pink available, which will give us 13 colors and we can start considering a Megaminx tile set. I am not sure, though, if Chris will want to hold off on that until we have the other fluorescent tile colors printed...We will see...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:19 pm 

I'd like to get some Megaminx tiles to make a 6-color Megaminx, actually. If you just offered a set with the six standard colors, I'd buy it. I don't know if anyone else would, though. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:21 pm 

Exactly. I just wanted to make sure that it doesn't rub off because of normal use...not because of applying the tiles. Thanks...I'm all set.

- Billy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:59 pm 

any update on the vcube tiles yet??

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:12 pm 

I absolutely love the idea of the site. I haven't ordered form it yet, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. The problem I do have is the website layout. It's easy to follow, but to me it doesn't look very professional.

Maybe I'm just being too picky, and it's not like the appearance of the website will affect the products at all.

I do like the website as a whole though :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:33 pm 

Retr0 wrote:
I absolutely love the idea of the site. I haven't ordered form it yet, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. The problem I do have is the website layout. It's easy to follow, but to me it doesn't look very professional.

Maybe I'm just being too picky, and it's not like the appearance of the website will affect the products at all.

Ive ordered a smooth tile set for my 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, and 5x5 its very secure ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:40 pm 

Do they do the textured vinyls seen on the Skewb, Skewb Ultimate and the master Pyramorphinx? I'd very much like to have some of those in the near future :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:09 pm 

Retr0 wrote:

Sorry...we're not web designers :) We are looking into creating a new layout, but like everything else we want to do with the site it's all about finding the time to do it. As many here can attest, we are legit, and have been at this for 5+ years. All of our payments are processed securely through Paypal.

Retr0 wrote:
Do they do the textured vinyls seen on the Skewb, Skewb Ultimate and the master Pyramorphinx? I'd very much like to have some of those in the near future :)

We have been unable to find a vinyl that is textured like the original Skewb stickers. We are still looking and will offer it if we find it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:15 pm 

Ask Tony Fisher. He uses it on almost all of his custom puzzles.

- Billy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:58 pm 

cubegrrrl wrote:
We have been unable to find a vinyl that is textured like the original Skewb stickers. We are still looking and will offer it if we find it.

If you are able to find this, will you offer it as a general option for all sticker types?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:18 pm 

Retr0 wrote:

I believe that the stickers Mefferts uses are probably supplied by a manufacturer in Hong Kong that doesn't ship wholesale supplies to the states. It's also possible that they are custom made exclusively for Mefferts. Even the materials for Cubesmith stickers/tiles come in large bulk rolls that would be difficult or impossible to obtain in small quantities.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:59 am 

We will be ordering a 7x7x7 tile die this week. It will take a while before we have it in hand and are able to sell sets. We'll post an update when we have one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:13 pm 

SWEET!!!!!!!!! I can't wait for the die to come in now. After over a year of waiting it is almost here!

4x4x4 PB: 2:04.95
5x5x5 PB 4:25.80
My other ones are to slow for me to care about right now...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:40 pm 

For those of you not following us on Facebook and Twitter, who may have missed today's update,
3x3x3 Shepherd's sets are now available on red vinyl http://cubesmith.com/3x3x3Shepherd%27s.htm
and Cube Earrings are back http://cubesmith.com/Tshirts.htm

More new stuff coming soon...
We're still working on V-Cube tiles :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:47 pm 

I would guess gigaminx stickers are in the works? I know it is really soon, but the bumb cube and mophix came fast.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:54 am 

The gigaminx is a totally custom puzzle. I believe only a tiny handful of them have been produced, and some were different sizes. It would not be worth the time and investment to produce stickers for it, although Dr Sticker can help with custom jobs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:39 am 

stardust4ever wrote:
The gigaminx is a totally custom puzzle. I believe only a tiny handful of them have been produced, and some were different sizes. It would not be worth the time and investment to produce stickers for it, although Dr Sticker can help with custom jobs.

Where have you been???

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:13 am 

stardust4ever wrote:
I take it you missed the two topics right in the main index page of this forum about the Cube4You mass produced Gigaminx :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:16 pm 

Blazemann wrote:
I would guess gigaminx stickers are in the works? I know it is really soon, but the bumb cube and mophix came fast.
I would love to get some gigaminx and face turning octahedron stickers. cubegrrrl, any chance that these may become available?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:14 pm 

Volitar Prime wrote:
I would love to get some gigaminx and face turning octahedron stickers. cubegrrrl, any chance that these may become available?

yes, i agree, i hope these come out soon coz the stikers that came with my gigaminx werent that good. :(
i would also want cubesmith tiles for the megaminx. i REALLY hope they would make them. :)

regards,

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm 

you can get all of those kinds of stickers at dr-sticker.com

Im With Frank!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 791 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next