Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Packages Just Arrived with Rare Puzzles
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:04 pm 

I thought that you couldn't get these anymore. and in DIY kits? What happened? They actually DID get mass produced?

Drewseph wrote:
You can improve the quality of the turning by placing it in the trash.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:30 pm 

PotatoSpades22095 wrote:
I thought that you couldn't get these anymore. and in DIY kits? What happened? They actually DID get mass produced?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12788

Personal Bests -single(avg of 12)
3x3-22.21(27.09)
4x4-1:28.18(1:53.49)
5x5-3:23.99(3:55.61)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:27 pm 

only the lucky ones got these, some of us were either ignored, or overlooked :x
Still hunting!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:15 am 

Thomas wrote:
Georges wrote:
Ten minutes later: one of the DIY FTO's is assembled.

Georges, the idea is that you sticker every face with the same colour!
By the way, my FTO also arrived today. :-)

Thomas

Quite right, Thomas.
I'll try to solve it after stickering it :-)
Otherwise it would be to easy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:50 am 

My octahedron arrived this morning. Of course, that's the one day this week I had a class to teach at 8am, so I missed the postman and had to wait until early afternoon to go to the post office and pick it up :roll:

Well, Georges has already showed us the packaging and the scrambled product, so I thought I'd share the assembly process and the solved pictures :D

Attachment:
File comment: Notice the funny red-coloured center piece :)
ft03.jpg
ft03.jpg [ 27.14 KiB | Viewed 5995 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: All centers attached.
ft04.jpg
ft04.jpg [ 30.31 KiB | Viewed 5994 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: All 12 edges added.
ft05.jpg
ft05.jpg [ 19.74 KiB | Viewed 5996 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Almost done - only the corner piece needs to be snapped in place.
ft06.jpg
ft06.jpg [ 24.27 KiB | Viewed 5994 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: 15 minutes after tearing the package open...
ft07.jpg
ft07.jpg [ 21.59 KiB | Viewed 5998 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Stickered!
ft08.jpg
ft08.jpg [ 41.43 KiB | Viewed 5997 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: The other four sides.
ft09.jpg
ft09.jpg [ 33.13 KiB | Viewed 5998 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:31 am 

I just got my cubedron today :D :D

3x3-22.21(27.09)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:32 pm 

I got my mefferts order today which included a white golden cube!

Drewseph wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:47 pm 

I dunno if this counts as rare or not, but last night I got a Duomaster in the mail! I had been looking for one that wasn't super-expensive and I happened across a seller with "new old" stock. It was dusty on the inside of the packaging but that's no big deal.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:23 pm 

These arrived Thursday evening. They certainly qualify as rare, but at least one TwistyPuzzles member must already have some of them!
Attachment:
File comment: "Monkey Business" by Oskar
"Tangerine" by Vesa
"Trapped Marble" by Oksar and Bram
"Pill" by Vesa

Vesa and friends.jpg
Vesa and friends.jpg [ 599.91 KiB | Viewed 6014 times ]

The puzzles are...
  • Monkey Business by Oskar van Deventer. The plastic monkey can 'swing' from one hole to another, but the plastic 'banana' in his right hand blocks some movements. Oskar designs a lot of puzzles like this.
  • Tangerine by Vesa Timonen. It's a good thing this puzzle is made from rugged ABS plastic, since users are tempted to try to pry it open by force! Like Vesa's other puzzles, the correct solution is effortless, quick, and surprisingly satisfying.
  • Trapped Marbleby Oskar and Bram Cohen. This one was a surprise! I had contemplated a cubic bisection puzzle with cuts somewhat like this, but thought it would be too trivial. But in this puzzle it poses a challenging visualization problem with a beautifully elegant solution. It's pleasant to take apart and put together.
  • Pill by Vesa Timonen. Two identical pieces go together to form a pill-shaped disc. (It's solved in the picture above.) This puzzle is so simple that I was worried other people might not appreciate it. Not so! I shared it with several friends yesterday, and they were initially stumped. Although the solution is elegantly simple, the psychology of the puzzle misdirects the user to concentrate on the solved position rather than the starting position. Users basically recognize what they must do, but their brains just won't let them do it!

Below is a view of Pill before assembly.

Attachments:
File comment: Vesa Timonen's "Pill" puzzle
Vesa Pill.JPG
Vesa Pill.JPG [ 588.66 KiB | Viewed 6000 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:02 pm 

Blue Revomaze Special Edition #5 out of 12.

Attachments:
revomaze.jpg
revomaze.jpg [ 77.79 KiB | Viewed 6004 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:08 pm 

Volitar, could you give some info on the puzzle? All I can find is that it's part of a series and involved in a contest...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:02 pm 

Yes, it is the first part of a series of 6 puzzles, 5 of which will be sold this year (blue, green, bronze, silver, and gold, each progressively more difficult) with a 6th (purple) which will be used only in competitions. The puzzle is made out of metal and is quite heavy. With a build quality similar to an Isis, It makes a nice display piece. It comes in a nice black cardboard box with cutout foam rubber inserts, includes the wooden stand, and comes with a nice cloth travel pouch (all pictured above).

The idea is to remove the central shaft. You do this by twisting it and moving it in/out to navigate a hidden internal maze. This maze has traps all over the place. If you move too far in any direction a spring loaded internal mechanism will snap out of place, you hear a click, the shaft goes loose, and you now have to push it back in to reset the puzzle and start over. Currently I’ve found my way past the 3rd or 4th trap.

The company which makes it is planning on hosting competitions in the UK (and possibly elsewhere). On their main web page at http://www.revomaze.co.uk they have an accumulating prize fund which the winners of the competitions will get a portion of. I believe the winners of the competitions will also be able to keep the purple editions which won’t otherwise be sold.

note: if you go to their forum and enter the Competitions/Brain Teasers forum, you can currently find a topic called "Little Brain Teaser 3" which is a riddle by the designer of these puzzles (who is also the guy who designed the Isis II/Ramisis) which no one has figure out yet. He will give out a green Revomaze to the first to solve it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:24 pm 

VeryWetPaint wrote:
Tangerine by Vesa Timonen. It's a good thing this puzzle is made from rugged ABS plastic, since users are tempted to try to pry it open by force! Like Vesa's other puzzles, the correct solution is effortless, quick, and surprisingly satisfying.
Hi, nice puzzles... I've been curious about the Tangerine since I saw that it was the only wood-less puzzle to win at last year's IPP Puzzle Design Competition. How many pieces does it have once taken apart?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:56 pm 

Skarabajo wrote:
VeryWetPaint wrote:
Tangerine by Vesa Timonen. It's a good thing this puzzle is made from rugged ABS plastic, since users are tempted to try to pry it open by force! Like Vesa's other puzzles, the correct solution is effortless, quick, and surprisingly satisfying.
Hi, nice puzzles... I've been curious about the Tangerine since I saw that it was the only wood-less puzzle to win at last year's IPP Puzzle Design Competition. How many pieces does it have once taken apart?

Tangerine has a total of six pieces: two pieces in the outer 'peel' and four inner 'segments'.

The outer 'peel' by itself is a simple spherical-bisection that separates along elegant lines of curvature. But it's blocked from trivial disassembly by the four inner segments, which divide only along straight lines. The challenge is to locate a solution that permits the inner segments and outer peel to divide harmoniously!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:00 pm 

VeryWetPaint wrote:
The outer 'peel' by itself is a simple spherical-bisection that separates along elegant lines of curvature. But it's blocked from trivial disassembly by the four inner segments, which divide only along straight lines. The challenge is to locate a solution that permits the inner segments and outer peel to divide harmoniously!
Nice explanation, it looked like there could have been 8 inner segments... it's very clear now, thanks. From the pictures, it seems like there is a texture to the plastic; are these the FDM layers that are visible? If so, do the inner segments slide smoothly inside the outer peel? As you can see, I'm very interested... I might buy one. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:22 am 

I'll answer that for the benefit of anyone who's been following this discussion, but PM me if you have any more questions about this particular puzzle. I'm happy to share, and I'd certainly like to encourage others to appreciate these puzzles, but we're getting off-topic for this particular thread. Undoubtedly other users will have more puzzles to share soon!

Skarabajo wrote:
VeryWetPaint wrote:
Nice explanation, it looked like there could have been 8 inner segments... it's very clear now, thanks. From the pictures, it seems like there is a texture to the plastic; are these the FDM layers that are visible? If so, do the inner segments slide smoothly inside the outer peel? As you can see, I'm very interested... I might buy one. :D

Yes, the 'sheen' is from the FDM layers. George chose a build orientation that optimized the exterior texture, so it looks good and feels good. The pieces slide easily and there's ample freedom of movement. Upon opening, the pieces typically slide out-of-place so most users discover they don't know how to put it back together!

This is also a remarkably 'friendly' puzzle; everyone who's seen it wants to play with it. I've shared it with over a dozen people so far, and it's been a hit. Even people who are ordinarily turned-off by brainteasers are happy to spend serious time trying to solve it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:44 pm 

I was very pleased to open this package today...
(I've had the quark for a little while, but it looks great like this)

And in celebration of finally achieving my black belt, I had Dave make this amazing Neon. I am extremely impressed with the quality. Everything from the puzzle design, the pearl tiles, and the amazing packaging (it's set in between two thick plastic plates so it stays put. Dave, you have done an amazing job on these puzzles (all of them).

I also have the new custom neon next to one of the two DIY's I got. I didn't get the third one built yet because I snapped a few of the parts as I was drilling them. Those parts arrived today as well, so I should have a third neon shortly. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:50 pm 

Amazing puzzles Flambore congrats! :D

Last edited by Synester on Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:39 pm 

Flambore, that is probably the coolest custom neon I have ever seen! Dave did great work, and congrats on the black belt!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:05 am 

flambore wrote:
I also have the new custom neon next to one of the two DIY's I got. I didn't get the third one built yet because I snapped a few of the parts as I was drilling them. Those parts arrived today as well, so I should have a third neon shortly. :)

The Neon that you have is really cool, Flambore. I'm still waiting for mine to come since I just paid mine. :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:49 am 

Garrett wrote:
Flambore, that is probably the coolest custom neon I have ever seen! Dave did great work, and congrats on the black belt!

Thanks. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:48 pm 

I have that ball :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:52 am 

Shua wrote:
I have that ball :D

What ball?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:56 am 

In the last two pics there is an inflaitable ball with a cartoon cat head in it with little mice on the outside.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:44 am 

Shua wrote:
In the last two pics there is an inflaitable ball with a cartoon cat head in it with little mice on the outside.

I'm so terribly fixed on puzzles that I block non-related items out of my mind. Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:55 am 

Georges wrote:
Shua wrote:

I'm so terribly fixed on puzzles that I block non-related items out of my mind. Thank you.

Please forgive me for the interruption, but shouldn't that be cubic puzzles? (not just any puzzles)

:mrgreen:

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:01 am 

kastellorizo wrote:
Georges wrote:
Shua wrote:

Please forgive me for the interruption, but shouldn't that be cubic puzzles? (not just any puzzles)

Seeing that I collect not only cubic puzzles, I don't think so
http://www.helm.lu/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1565

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:22 am 

Georges wrote:
Seeing that I collect not only cubic puzzles, I don't think so
http://www.helm.lu/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1565

What are you talking about? I *only* see cubes everywhere!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pantazis

Attachments:
File comment: hmmmm....
georges_cubes.jpg
georges_cubes.jpg [ 64.05 KiB | Viewed 6042 times ]

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:46 pm 

I am so jealous of you taylor!! Helicopter cubes are my favorite!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:48 pm 

Taylor wrote:
(I think I need to take pictures early in the day with better lighting)

I would say it has a bit of a dramatic lighting. Kind of mysterious.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:54 pm 

i just got a white golden cube today :D

3x3-22.21(27.09)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:05 pm 

Today I received my gold Golden Cube which I ordered back in January 25th.. :roll:

As always, I scrambled the puzzle right away and solved it. It took me about 15 min for the first solve.

- Pyracue

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:46 pm 

i recently recieved a gold and white golden cube, and the white v cube set, along with two void cubes....it was like christmas all over again!!! :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:12 am 

Not arriving by post, but by going to the shops, I thought i would share and this seems as good a place as any

Puzzles by Smaz:

and just for fun, this one isn't stickered, it's the same as the other dian sheng puzzles:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:24 pm 

A few posts up (here) flambore showed some puzzles he received from me. These were in trade for some of his puzzle which I received before this thread started. I figured it would only be fair for me to show them off even though it doesn't really count as "just arrived". It was a great box to open, his puzzles now have their own shelf on my "Rare and handmade" display case (here, but needs updating with the new additions).
Moving forward in time I received a very nice edges only 4x4x4 (by Sean Kung) a while ago:
When partially turned, looking at the white face, I think of it as a Dracula cube:
Just a few weeks ago I won an auction for a 3x4x5 (two 3x3x3s and extensions) built by Jameson. It moves very well:
Finally, and actually on topic as it arrived yesterday, Taylor's curved mastermorphix with stickers. I traded the Tiger Neon for this months ago but he was kind enough to paint and sticker it for me. I have loved this puzzle ever since I saw the one Aleh built (long ago at the Winter 2007 Caltech competition). Taylor's is really well built and finished and a beautiful piece of work. So shiny!
Red next to orange though? Drewseph, set him straight! ;)

Enjoy (I am),

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:35 am 

DLitwin wrote:
Red next to orange though? Drewseph, set him straight! ;)

It's a tetrahedron, so red and orange are as far apart as they can get. Just pretend they're opposite!

You've got a colorful shape-changing puzzle there. Now make it a colorful shape!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:12 pm 

Elemental Neon with the radiation symble. :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFCAx2JFW9k

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:09 pm 

Received 2x2x2 Circle Cube today.

Notice how my wishlist in the signature is decreasing one by one.

- Pyracue

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:15 pm 

I was maybe expecting an empty box today. :P

But good to see that this was in there!

Sorry for the low-res pics... there's only so much a blackberry can take!

Attachments:
IMG00029.jpg
IMG00029.jpg [ 167.14 KiB | Viewed 6010 times ]
IMG00027.jpg
IMG00027.jpg [ 489.58 KiB | Viewed 5993 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:04 pm 

*jaw dropped

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:21 pm 

tattooed wrote:
*jaw dropped

+1
:D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:02 pm 

Well I guess it's not gonna be rare much longer but I got my Floppy Cube (and my Void Cube) today. Thanks Hidetoshi!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:59 pm 

nice avatar, reeeech!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:47 pm 

Dito. Where did you get your floppy cube?

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:46 pm 

I was getting some things from Japan via Hidetoshi, and he was able to slip one into the package. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:26 pm 

My black and white masterball came today. When the package came, I was hoping it was my flopy cube, but ti wasn't. :( Oh well. It will still come, and masterball is awesome!

Drewseph wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:34 am 

[reply #100]
I got today a standard size oak 3x3x3 cube, a Cube Cover's set from 1982 and some stickers I put onto a silver GC.
Those who have the new cube book by Jerry Slocum et al. can find another set of the cube covers pictured in the book.
Attachment:
_oak.JPG
_oak.JPG [ 147.45 KiB | Viewed 9212 times ]

Attachment:
_cc.JPG
_cc.JPG [ 76.53 KiB | Viewed 9201 times ]

Attachment:
_sgc.JPG
_sgc.JPG [ 216.07 KiB | Viewed 5661 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:52 pm 

Thursday I got my DHL from the states with a couple of puzzles I had been getting from ebay.

Nothing amazing: a spindal domino, a mini puzzle, batman 2x2, a leather 1982 Meffert's pyramid, Shua's confused pillow and 6 snakes! (like I need 6 snakes-I really need to READ the auction descriptions) The humpty dumpty is a take-apart puzzle.

But then last night around 5:30 the door buzzer rang and it was the post man. What could that be? A late postal call is usually a registered letter, and I didn't think I had any outstanding bills :shock: When he came to the door, I found this:

Thank you Drew. It's lovely!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:16 pm 

I can take a snake of your hands, if it needs a nice home... :D (I am broke, though)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:43 pm 

I have that little clicky plastic chain thing in blue and orange. It's pretty fun to play with!

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next