Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Content Moderators Needed
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:44 pm 

I've posted a slightly different version of this request before. I gathered all the responses diligently, worked a bit on the code to get the required stuff in place, and then I disappeared for another year. You have nothing buy my assurances that this won't happen again, and I don't blame you if you don't trust me. So with that guilt off my chest for now, I'll get to the point.

I'm seeking one or more people for each of the following volunteer jobs. Anyone interested in massively serving the community by filling any of these positions is encouraged to e-mail me (using the Contact link in the main menu) to express your interest. I would like the applicants to already be highly knowledgable in the area they apply for, with the determination to become an expert. The more help I am able to get with creating and maintaining the site content, the better our site will become, and the more I can focus on programming and adding new features.

These positions are open NOW, not some vague distant future. These positions begin with collecting a good amount of data into a database-importable spreadsheet while I set up the feature in the background, then we merge it all together and launch the new feature/content, which the moderator will then manage. Once the feature/content is launched, moderation tasks will happen through a suite of online tools that I have built for the purpose. These tools are already fully functional for the puzzle database, and can quickly be adapted to other sections.

LINKS MODERATOR
Description: Starting from this out-of-date list, assemble and maintain a categorized links list for all twisty puzzle related websites on the net these days, including a brief description of each telling what it has to offer visitors. Offering link exchanges to desirable websites is probably part of this. The Links section will be removed from the front page and a new page (or a whole section, as required) will be created. There is link management software available these days which may or may not prove useful in ensure the links are live and in generating thumbnails and what not. The links moderator would research that. (Note these are more general site links and not puzzle-specific links like those that appear on the bottom of puzzle pages, although the same person/people may be well suited to handling both jobs.)

SOLUTIONS MODERATOR
Description: Maintaining existing solutions, and creating (and enlisting others to create, or getting permission to copy and indefinitely publish) twisty puzzle solutions including illustrations, applets, animations or similar. I would like solutions to be visual and easy to follow such as Denny's famous 4x4x4 solution.

EVENTS MODERATOR
Description: Maintaing an online calendar of events going on in the world-wide twisty puzzles community. This would include information about events past and present, puzzle launches (commercial or otherwise), major news releases, anniversaries of significant historical events (for fun) and anything else we can think of.

MEDIA MODERATOR
Description: Maintaining a categorized section of media (images, video). This would include links to good puzzle-related videos on YouTube, capturing examples of the Rubik's Cube and related puzzles in the media (print ads, commercials, tv and movie scenes, etc).

PATENTS MODERATOR
Description: Linking up the large number of patents I have (thanks to Jaap) to the puzzles that are currently in the database, adding new ones as they are discovered, and updating as required. I had this job about half completed when I bailed out on the community 3 years ago, but help completing it and maintaining it would be appreciated.

SOFTWARE MODERATOR
Description: Gathering all the various online applets and stand-alone software programs, showing screen shots, describing what each can do, listing software costs, etc.

ARTICLES MODERATOR
Description: Writing (and enlisting others to write, or getting permission to copy and indefinitely publish) an article (or better yet, multiple articles) about building puzzles, reviewing new puzzles, interviewing a community "personality", or anything else fun and related to our field. It would be nice to have at least one hard-core puzzle builder do a whole collection of "how to" articles.

PUZZLE OF THE MONTH MODERATOR
Description: I'd like to have a regular "puzzle of the month" contest for new puzzles. This would probably include collecting the nominations once a month, creating an online poll, tabulating the results, and announcing the winner. Once a year the 12 winners (and a few wildcards?) compete for "puzzle/builder of the year". (Prizes?) An article would be written (by the mod or someone else, doesn't matter) on each winner, filled with pictures, and interview with the builder, etc. I was awestruck when I saw Noah's Puzzle of the Year 2008 post.

PUZZLE MODERATOR
Description: Updating the puzzle database with user contributions, including editing contributed photographs. David Litwin is in this role already, but we are in agreement that one or two further mods would be a good idea.

PRICE TRACKING SYSTEM MODERATOR
Description: Collecting and listing item sale prices from various sources (auction sites, forum sales, etc), and moderating user-contributed content. This system is already fully up and running.

SPEEDCUBING MODERATOR
Not required at this time. May come later after all or most of the above is in place.

FORUM MODERATOR
Not required at this time.

Other non-moderator jobs that would be really nice for people to start doing:

• Write an article (there are some messages in the forum that would make great articles, for example).
  • Create a graphical solution to a puzzle.
  • Contribute historical puzzle information and high quality photographs.

Sandy

Post subject: Re: Content Moderators Needed
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:24 pm 

After consulting with David, I have added PUZZLE MODERATOR to the list of available positions. See the description above. There's a backlog of puzzle contributions a few years long, and expecting one person to get through it all would be a rather unfair burden.

Sandy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:46 am 

I've just added PRICE TRACKING SYSTEM MODERATOR to the list above. I'm not sure why I forgot it, especially since it is one of only two of the above moderator systems that is already fully functional!

Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:33 pm 

I compiled all the applications today, and found that no one has applied for the following positions: Events, Patents, Software, Price Tracking System. Is this is an early indicator that those new features wouldn't be widely used/appreciated? I figured having an events calendar was a pretty nifty idea... which I pain stakingly stole from 1000 other websites. I'd like to hear what you guys think about these new features. Are they good ideas or should I find some other new features to work on?

And apply via e-mail for the positions if you're interested. It's never too late to fill a vacant position.

Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:48 pm 

I think events and price tracking would be the most nifty (at least for me).
I would certainly offer to help, but these days I can't guarantee my time and I'd rather not commit and have to bail.

-d

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:56 pm 

Events and software are the most interesting to me, but the others are useful too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:23 pm 

The Age of the Content Moderator has begun. Please join me in welcoming the following people in their new capacities:

Noah - Puzzle of the Month Moderator
DLitwin, katsmom & sarah1031 - Puzzle Database Moderator
the.drizzle - Articles Moderator
merlintocs & Danny Devitt - Solutions Moderator
ihatefrauwahlgren & Synester - Media Moderator
ihatefrauwahlgren - Links Moderator
Synester - Patents Moderator

Thank you one and all for your willingness to offer your time and energy to this site the community that gathers here. I am looking forward to supporting each of you.

You may notice a few sections have been missed: Price Tracking System (doesn't anyone scour eBay these days?), Events Moderator (helping to maintaining a community events calendar), Software Moderator (maybe I'll merge this into Links, but hosting some content would have been nice!).

Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:30 pm 

Will they get different color names ;)?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:31 pm 

At least for now, we all get yellow. I don't think this will change, but who knows.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:35 pm 

Welcome aboard to all of the new content moderators. There were some difficult choices to be made and we greatly appreciate the willingness to help that many of you displayed. For those of you who were not selected this go-around there will always be a chance you may be called upon for assistance in the future. Thank you again for stepping up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:55 pm 

I thought the home page of the forum looked a little busy with 7 or 8 different orange Moderator groups listed in the legend, and I didn't like the idea of using 7 or 8 different colours so I merged them all into one umbrella group. What do you guys think?

Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:00 am 

It works fine for me. Your post will be fine for future reference of who does what. Plus, I think it will start to become obvious who is who as we do our jobs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:07 am 

Sandy wrote:
You may notice a few sections have been missed: Price Tracking System (doesn't anyone scour eBay these days?)
Sandy

If I said I didn't check ebay daily I would be lying. But, I would be afraid of missing something, and added to that, there are a few "other" sites I visit on a regular basis to buy puzzles from. For these two reasons I didn't put myself forward. I'll gladly pass prices to anyone who takes on this role, but there is the issue of non-ebay acutions :wink: And I don't want to give away all my secrets!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:43 am 

aaah... Price Tracking!

I could surely help with this, so if my assistance is needed, just let me know! :)

I have been keeping some prices of puzzles that I was encountering on ebay
for more than five years! (and I still do! but I need to find some time to update
the last 2-3 months as work had been crazy here LOL)

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:47 am 

You just want a yellow name :lol: That's why you're volunteering now and didn't do it earlier. :lol: :lol:

But if you can update those prices! Wow! then I wouldn't have to pm you all the time to see if I got a good deal!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:07 am 

Hmmm... idk if Pantazis deserves to be a moderator or if he's even around enough to put in the work. I mean, he's only been on the forum for over 3 years, made over 2800 posts, and mass produced his own puzzles. What does he know about puzzling? :lol:

And Rox, you joke about the yellow, but I'll admit I was excited when I saw my name turn :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:14 am 

I got a pm that said congrats and thought Huh? Then checked the forum, then my email. The problem with working is you sometimes have to work.

Doesn't yellow mean "cowardice"? Ya couldn't go with pink? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:35 am 

It is piutosto orange than yellow IMO.
So it would be a good start to update information on this one:
http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pkey=195

PS. You may ask me for information and pictures
http://www.helm.lu/gallery2/main.php?g2 ... alNumber=5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:19 am 

Sorry to take this OT, but here is a big blotch of the color from our names:

Attachment:
Picture 2.png
Picture 2.png [ 4.13 KiB | Viewed 4527 times ]

I am now inclined to call it orange.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:20 am 

katsmom wrote:
You just want a yellow name :lol: That's why you're volunteering now and didn't do it earlier. :lol: :lol:

But if you can update those prices! Wow! then I wouldn't have to pm you all the time to see if I got a good deal!

Requesting permission from Sandy to make all the prices viewable by all, except Rox!
That way, she will still have to PM me!!! :lol:

Danny Devitt wrote:
Hmmm... idk if Pantazis deserves to be a moderator or if he's even around enough to put in the work. I mean, he's only been on the forum for over 3 years, made over 2800 posts, and mass produced his own puzzles. What does he know about puzzling? :lol:

And Rox, you joke about the yellow, but I'll admit I was excited when I saw my name turn :lol:

I should only be given the right to change prices. Anything more than that will be a disaster!
Because if I get temperamental, I can probably ban 2/3 of the forum!!!!

:mrgreen:

Pantazis

PS. I have been using my pricing to ensure consistency and that I don't get ripped off
by ebay sellers. And I have been asked by many others in private, not just Rox!
(Rox, sorry that I cheated on you!)

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:22 am 

I stand corrected. Maybe it's my monitor. It looks more yellow on mine.

Panda you dirty cheating.....MAN! Seriously though, it does need to get updated and since you have so many records, you should volunteer a bit less tongue in cheek like.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:33 am 

katsmom wrote:
and since you have so many records, you should volunteer a bit less tongue in cheek like.

aaaah... touché!

:mrgreen:

Pantazis

PS. The only condition if I get selected would be to have my name in cyan color, not orange!!! :P
(And I am sure Rox wants pink!)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:53 am 

It's a very exciting day. I can't wait to get started!

:scrambled: --> :solved:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:54 am 

Don't forget that ANYONE can add a sale price via the online form (click "add a recent sale price" at the bottom of any puzzle page). Each contribution does require a moderator to approve it before it will appear on the website, that's all. Also, the moderator would take care of things like weeding out bad data, and so on.

Pantazis, your help is needed! The position is yours if you really want it.

To Pantazis (and anyone who may have a history of sale prices), if your data is in a spreadsheet or similar, I can mass import the whole thing. That's what I did to get the system started way back when. I took my data (I think about 800 sale prices) and imported the whole thing in one shot. Getting the data into shape may take an hour or whatever, but it sure beats filling out the online form 800 times.

The colour is supposed to be the TwistyPuzzles orange. It may not appear that way since the letters are not very bold and the background is white. I've just tweaked it a little. It's more orangy now, but less TwistyPuzzley. Oh well. Maybe a radically different colour is in order.

Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:56 am 

Sandy wrote:
different color is in order.

Sandy

I vote for different for Dr. Panda :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:48 am 

I Don't Mind The new Color :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:02 pm 

How can I refuse to help, it is impossible, as this site started everything for me. :)
But please bear with my extremely limited time. Uni work, company overwork, and
now preparing for the August conference/holiday/puzzle events...

Don't listen to Mrs Sparrow (aka Rox), I don't mind any color you choose for me, except pink!!!

And you are right Sandy, I have the prices in Excel, and I have given a finite number of empty slots
to calculate the average (those dominoes seem to have made my sheet to overflow!)

:)

Pantazis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:04 pm 

Welcome to the grind, everyone!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:19 am 

Added a few more:

katsmom - Articles Moderator
kastellorizo & ejisfun - Price Tracking Moderators

Sandy