Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Skewb Egg Price
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:44 pm 

Hey, I'm just seeing if anybody else thinks like myself.

When the skewb egg was first introduced to the board some months ago, the price was stated to be $20 to $22 USD. I searched for the original topic, but can't find it. I'm sure somebody else remembers it.

Anybody else feel $42 is a little too expensive for an arguably simple skewb mod? I mean if it was the original price of $22 (even $30) I'd easily buy 3 or 4 of them, but with the new price ($42) I can't justify spending 160 bucks on 4 of the same puzzle, in a different color of course.

Think about it. The Golden cube (neglecting the skewb core) requires 14 different molds to make one of each of the unique pieces. Along with hand electroplating, and the amount of work put into it by Tony Fisher himself. Conceptualizing, molding, building. Everything Tony Fisher has done to realize the original Golden Cube. This adds up, and lets me easily drop 120 bucks on the set of three, and another 42 when the black comes out.

Now the Skewb Egg. It (unless I'm wrong, please correct me If I am) requires only 7 different molds, and does not hold the same value as an idea as original as a Golden Cube. The way it was pitched by Tony a while ago seemed like he just kinda threw out to Mr. Meffert "Lets make an Egg!" and Meffert said "Yea!" Now I know this isn't exactly what happened, but nobody can argue an egg is as original and groundbreaking as the Golden Cube. It is a simple design in comparison.

Don't get me wrong, I love Mefferts puzzles, and everything Mr. Meffert has done for the puzzling community(I own about 20 puzzles from him, and am placing another order soon), it's just how the original price was set at $22 and is now up to $42. I feel like "Collector Special" is tacked on to play on the emotions of a buyer, and now a $42 price is seemingly justifiable. It just seems kind of shady to me.

What I'm getting at is a Skewb Egg is definately not a 42 dollar puzzle. Pyraminx Crystal? Sure, huge amounts of pieces, complexity, beauty, design time from Aleh. Golden Cube? definately, originality, design time, beauty, general complexity. Dogic($39) again, definately. Complex, tiled, huge amounts of pieces, highly customizable tile layouts(I LOVE Dogics, and color variations of it) Skewb Egg? 42 bucks? Come on, This puzzle is not on par with the aforementioned designs. It really is a 20 dollar puzzle.

I know I'll end up buying a White one anyway, but I was really looking forward to purchasing a brown and green one(and possibly blue) to simulate real eggs. But for $42 a piece I won't be doing it. So what do you guys think?

Last edited by EMarx on Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Skewb Egg Price
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:49 pm 

I think It's pretty high but, 22 is too low so I'm thinking 30 would be about right, you agree? I forgot where to find these, where can you see the colors and stuff?

Fastest Times:3x3x3-37 seconds
Magic: 2.48 seconds(after having it for 2 days)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:56 pm 

I think it is quite simple. If it is too expensive for you don't buy it. When I went to the shop opening way back, the price was said to be the same as the Fisher's Golden Cube.

If you want to just play with the puzzle, it may be way to expensive. If you want to have it to collect and look at, the price isn't that bad. It all comes down to how much money you have to spend and want to spend. Everyone will have a different opinion on this, and it doesn't matter what we think, Meffert's is not going to change the prices based on a few forum members saying the price is too high.

In days gone by, there were posts that read something like "I wish I could afford this puzzle but I can't" Today I am seeing more and more posts that say "This is to expensive, shouldn't they lower the price?" Is it just me or have expectations changed over the past couple of years. Or maybe I'm just getting older and have different ideas about things.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:57 pm 

katsmom wrote:
I think it is quite simple. If it is too expensive for you don't buy it. When I went to the shop opening way back, the price was said to be the same as the Fisher's Golden Cube.

If you want to just play with the puzzle, it may be way to expensive. If you want to have it to collect and look at, the price isn't that bad. It all comes down to how much money you have to spend and want to spend. Everyone will have a different opinion on this, and it doesn't matter what we think, Meffert's is not going to change the prices based on a few forum members saying the price is too high.

In days gone by, there were posts that read something like "I wish I could afford this puzzle but I can't" Today I am seeing more and more posts that say "This is to expensive, shouldn't they lower the price?" Is it just me or have expectations changed over the past couple of years. Or maybe I'm just getting older and have different ideas about things.

Hmm Never thought of it that way, thanks for pointing that out =D.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:03 pm 

GamerCuber101 wrote:
I forgot where to find these, where can you see the colors and stuff?

http://mefferts.com/page.php?lang=en&th ... le_release

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:05 pm 

I think your getting me wrong Katsmom. I can afford it, and collecting is my main interest in puzzles, but can you honestly say that a Skewb Egg can command the same price as a Pyraminx Crystal, or Golden Cube, or Dogic?

"If you can't afford it, don't buy it" Is not good logic in this case.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:13 pm 

Yes, I can. That is the price that was set and that is the price it will sell for. If you don't like it don't buy it! When I first bought my astrolabacus it was $15. A lot of money for me. My Dogic was $20. Same thing. But I didn't argue abut the price, or complain to anyone because no one would listen. Now look at the prices!
The same goes for the Fisher's Golden Cubes. They have "blemishes", they cost $42, I can go on with the moaning I've read, but the fact remains that if you want one you pay for it. In 4 years or 10, what will the price be.
Don't order the eggs, I don't care, as I said, I have/will. In 10 years I am sure I will see people on the forum moaning about "I wish I would have bought one at $42."

Look back to 2002-2004. The discussions over prices were never like this. Times have sure changed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:18 pm 

Time to break into my bank account and buy/or try to buy all but the matt finish and silver/gold (don't like them =/)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:21 pm 

the original posting about the eggs puzzles cam be found here: http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11399 It was posted by me and hte price was $42.

I like your answer GameCuber101. It's logical and not whiney :cry: .

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:21 pm 

I am certainly no expert on the way that Meffert works but I think it's to do with limited runs. He figures they aren't going to be popular enough to go in every toy shop so he ends up making just 2000 or so at a time. Because tooling costs are extremely high it is not a very economical way to do things. In some cases It would probably be better for him not to bother at all.
Also, I am not disputing the prices mentioned for the Egg but in my communications with Uwe the price talked about was $38. That was before even a prototype was made.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:26 pm 

katsmom wrote:
the original posting about the eggs puzzles cam be found here: http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11399 It was posted by me and hte price was $42.

I like your answer GameCuber101. It's logical and not whiney :cry: .

Which answer?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:32 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
I am certainly no expert on the way that Meffert works but I think it's to do with limited runs. He figures they aren't going to be popular enough to go in every toy shop so he ends up making just 2000 or so at a time. Because tooling costs are extremely high it is not a very economical way to do things. In some cases It would probably be better for him not to bother at all.
Also, I am not disputing the prices mentioned for the Egg but in my communications with Uwe the price talked about was $38. That was before even a prototype was made.

Tony, through conversations with him, limited runs are exactly what he is doing. I remember a conversation about it's better to get the puzzle out in limited numbers than not at all. I appreciate that and will continue to buy.
I don't know when he told you $38 and am not disputing that. One thing that comes to mind is that China has now instituted a minimum wage law, so labour isn't as cheap as it once was. This may have happened after the conversation with you about the price. I'm not disputing your conversation, just adding a bit to it. Besides, Meffert's is selling them, not us so he gets to set the price.

When people think Made in China they automatically think cheap. Petrolium has increased here as well as in the rest of the world, and with this new law, people don't work for 0.10 an hour anymore, or what ever the wage used to be. Prices are going up in China. I notice it everytime I cross the border. But even so, they are still cheaper than HK. Those knock off pink ES cubes used to cost me HK$45. Now they are up to HK$60. In China, they are still RMB40. And no, I'm not carrying back a case of them. Too many problems going through customs. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:59 pm 

I agree with Rox. Although $42 is a lot for a puzzle, it's worth way more the second the last one is sold. I think of anything specialized that comes out of Mefferts as a collectible investment. That's why I am upset about the scratches on my golden cubes. I'll get the eggs if I can afford them. If I can't, guess what- I won't. The price has been set, but them or don't; they will sell out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:09 pm 

flambore wrote:
I agree with Rox. Although $42 is a lot for a puzzle, it's worth way more the second the last one is sold.

Yeah, like look at skewb diamonds. They sold for around $20 just a few years ago, and now they're going for hundreds of dollars on ebay. Same with dogics, tiled megaminxes, pyramorphixes... If you buy it now, and you find you need the money back, then most likely you can sell it for the same or at a higher price.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:06 pm 

katsmom wrote:

Tony, through conversations with him, limited runs are exactly what he is doing. I remember a conversation about it's better to get the puzzle out in limited numbers than not at all. I appreciate that and will continue to buy.
I don't know when he told you $38 and am not disputing that. One thing that comes to mind is that China has now instituted a minimum wage law, so labour isn't as cheap as it once was. This may have happened after the conversation with you about the price. I'm not disputing your conversation, just adding a bit to it. Besides, Meffert's is selling them, not us so he gets to set the price.

My reply was meant for Emarx but you posted just before me. Sorry, I should have quoted him.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:54 pm 

ejisfun wrote:
flambore wrote:
Yeah, like look at skewb diamonds. They sold for around $20 just a few years ago, and now they're going for hundreds of dollars on ebay.

...HUNDREDS?

Anyone wanna trade something cool for mine? :P

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:50 am 

Hundreds? Not necessarily, but between 100 and 200 I'd say.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:11 am 

Danny Devitt wrote:
Hundreds? Not necessarily, but between 100 and 200 I'd say.

Yeah, that was a bit exaggerated. :P

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:59 am 

katsmom wrote:
Tony Fisher wrote:

I don't know when he told you $38 and am not disputing that.

I don't think Tony meant to say that $38 was what he was told and by god Uwe should have stuck to it -- it sounded to me more like $2 either way of forty isn't really worth getting all het up over.

Now, if Uwe had said $20-ish and went to $42, that would certainly affect the likelihood of people buying the things, and might even be a valid occasion for something like "Shame he wasn't able to make them at that price", but $38 to $42 from rough estimate to final price frankly makes me admire Mr Meffert's insights, to get that close a rough estimate.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:03 am 

I wasn't disputing $4. I was just explaining the possible reason for Meffert's minimal increase. And there was no challenge meant towards Tony's post.

I bought a plastic storage box for my daughters puzzles around 6 months ago, it cost HK$35. I had to get her a bigger one when she noticed the transparent cubes, they are up to HK$50 now. For just the reasons I've listed. $4 doesn't matter one way or the other in the greater scheme of things.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:33 pm 

While 40+ USD is quite expensive for a 'simple'(for lack of a better term) puzzle, it is not Meffert(or any other puzzle maker)'s fault that they are forced to sell at that price to remain profitable. Simple fact is that mass production has ridiculous start-up costs, and unless a product gains mainstream popularity, a manufacturer cannot afford to sell their products at a 'reasonable' price.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:06 pm 

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:
While 40+ USD is quite expensive for a 'simple'(for lack of a better term) puzzle, it is not Meffert(or any other puzzle maker)'s fault that they are forced to sell at that price to remain profitable. Simple fact is that mass production has ridiculous start-up costs, and unless a product gains mainstream popularity, a manufacturer cannot afford to sell their products at a 'reasonable' price.

If it's true that the Skewb egg has a few duplicate pieces (and not, say, mirror images) then if manufacturing the molds was the major cost, it would make sense for the eggs to be at least a little cheaper than the Golden cubes. In reality, I suspect assembly labour (including, probably, accurately gluing the extensions to the basic skewb pieces), plastic costs, running costs of the machines, shipping, admin, and gross profits are a larger proportion by far.

Unless Meffert's gets particularly cheap molds by using a short-life material, and they're used up every so many pieces, in which case the molds become a variable instead of a fixed cost.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:20 pm 

JasperJ wrote:

I don't think Tony meant to say that $38 was what he was told

I meant to say that precisely. However it has no bearing on the final price since it was just a discussion and not an announcement. No one changed their mind since the price hadn't been set. I only mentioned it since someone seemed to think the price had been changed from $22 to $42.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:32 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
JasperJ wrote:

I don't think Tony meant to say that $38 was what he was told

I meant to say that precisely.

Duh. You're misquoting me significantly. I said:

I don't think Tony meant to say that ( $38 was what he was told and by god Uwe should have stuck to it )[..].

Parentheses to show which clause is the object of 'that'.

Last edited by JasperJ on Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:46 pm 

I think that, not including duplicate pieces or the central mechanism itself, there are only 5 unique pieces on the egg - pointed end, round end, pointed side corners, round side corners, and the middle centers. Is this correct?

Obviously it's not as complicated to manufacture as a Golden Cube, but still, they're probably only doing a small run of them. $42 seems reasonable for that, especially since it seems that every time Meffert makes a limited edition lately, he charges $42 for it. Pyraminx Crystal, Golden Cube, and now this. :lol:

Tony, or anyone else who's seen a prototype - around how big is it from end to end? Larger than the Skewb Beachball?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:26 pm 

Jared wrote:
Tony, or anyone else who's seen a prototype - around how big is it from end to end? Larger than the Skewb Beachball?

On the site it says 11 cm... so about the height of 2 3x3s on top of each other.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:38 pm 

Pictures have been posted. See the link above and go take a look. It's right next to the Golden cube.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:19 pm 

Jared wrote:

I just measured my prototype and make it 11.2cm length and 8.1cm at the widest point the other way.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:30 pm 

Wow, that's pretty big! So just in material volume it is relatively similar to the Golden Cube I guess, which may also be a factor in the price.