Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Different Rubik's Keychain Types?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:15 pm 

I was at a friend's house last night, and he had a very strange 3x3 Keychain. It was a Rubik's Promotion one, and the white side had some company's logo. It was a little bigger then a normal 3x3 keychain, and you could see circular creases in the center stickers, as though the plastic had a circle etched in it. And it turned like a dream. It felt kinda "crunchy", and was very fast. Does anyone have one of these?

Post subject: Re: Different Rubik's Keychain Types?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:03 pm 

aliengrey wrote:
I was at a friend's house last night, and he had a very strange 3x3 Keychain. It was a Rubik's Promotion one, and the white side had some company's logo. It was a little bigger then a normal 3x3 keychain, and you could see circular creases in the center stickers, as though the plastic had a circle etched in it. And it turned like a dream. It felt kinda "crunchy", and was very fast. Does anyone have one of these?

I believe I have a Microsoft .NET promotion cube that is larger than keychain size. I don't recall the movement being anything special. I'll see if I can get it into the Database one of these days...

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:04 pm 

The circle on the center was probably the hole for the screw/rivet. At my dollar store, they sell these 2-for-1 things where you get a cheap chinese cube and a keychain cube for $1. The keychain ones are essentially a DIY as they have adjustable screws and springs, but they have no center cap. Instead, they have a hole drilled directly into the center, and the sticker covers it up.

With lube and breaking it in, they turn amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:08 pm 

DLitwin wrote:
aliengrey wrote:

I believe I have a Microsoft .NET promotion cube that is larger than keychain size. I don't recall the movement being anything special. I'll see if I can get it into the Database one of these days...

Dave

Indeed, he might have lubed it, and that's why it turned so great. I left in a small rush though so I didn't ask him if I could buy it from him. :P If I do get my hands on it sometime though, I'll make a comparison thread.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:37 pm 

Once in spensors I saw a scarface keychain cube that was a little bigger than regular keychain.

Drewseph wrote:
You can improve the quality of the turning by placing it in the trash.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:47 pm 

My dollar store has keychains that are bigger than my studio and regular rubik's keychains

4x4: 3:18.62 | 5x5: 8:22.90
Megaminx: 9:01:94| 7x7: 39:51.98
Magic: 1.14 | Pyraminx: 9.76
2x2-5x5 Relay: 16:43.51

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:54 pm 

Thanks for the replies PotatoSpades22095 and Thien, but as I stated, it was an official Rubik's Promotion keychain, I'm just wondering if anyone has one similar or if you can get one without buying in bulk.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:42 pm 

Maybe to fit a logo on it needed to be a larger size, as a Rubik's keychain is very small to try to squeeze a logo on.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:35 pm 

Spencers also has an ELVIS one and one other that I can't rember.

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux