Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Puzzle Database Relaunch!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:58 pm 

After a 48 hour programming marathon, the puzzle database maintenance code is up and running, better than ever, and on a much more solid foundation. (Actually, some parts of the foundation are still the old and rickety versions, but Rome wasn't built in 48 hours.) This includes the "add new puzzle" and "modify this puzzle" forms, and does not neccessarily include the "add new link" and "add a recent sale price" forms. They may or may not be working... I haven't clicked either of them in years. HA!

The back-end maintenance code has been entirely rewritten and is now working with the forum login system.

DLitwin has been appointed our first Puzzle Database Moderator. Thanks for your willingness, David. If there is any substance behind the many "I wish the puzzle database were up to date" forum messages, you're about to get bombarded with update requests.

Even though I was up until 5:30am finishing it off last night, I'm full of energy and excitement today. The site will now be progressing on more than one front at a time!

Next up: site design overhaul.

Sandy

Post subject: Re: Puzzle Database Relaunch!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:52 pm 

Fantastic news, Sandy!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:50 pm 

Thanks Carter. And nice to see you here again!

All the old unapproved user contributions are still in the system. I presume David will get started on working his way through those old contributions at some point... if only so he doesn't have to look at them all the time!

Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:20 pm 

Good news!

Is there a way to get an email at each puzzle added? Kinda newsletters?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:15 pm 

Sounds great. I've already started some in-depth mechanism articles and i just submitted the V-Cube 5 mech page...so hopefully the rest of the V-cubes will follow as well as some better dogic and alexander star mechanism pages.

Also, i'm not entirely sure if this belongs here but it's sorta connected...the collection pages? I'm guessing you haven't re-written that code yet? I'd like to start a collection on here but i can't seem to find a link to do this. Also, to connect it to this topic, what do you think about adding an "add to collection" link on each of the puzzle pages? It might not be the MOST convenient option but i'm fairly sure it'd get some use. And it shouldn't be that difficult to write into the template for a puzzle's page.

-CC10

Best solve: 28.84s

SSCoasters.net - the biggest K'Nex roller coaster website on the planet
KnexForum.com - the best forum for everything else K'Nex

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:26 am 

coastercrazy10 wrote:
I'm guessing you haven't re-written that code yet? I'd like to start a collection on here but i can't seem to find a link to do this. I'm guessing you haven't re-written that code yet?

Yikes! The login / create new account portion of the Colleciton Manager page is busted right now... on Vista IE7, anyhow. I'll look into that tonight. I definitely have not rewritten that code yet. It's total spaghetti.

coastercrazy10 wrote:
Also, to connect it to this topic, what do you think about adding an "add to collection" link on each of the puzzle pages?

That exists. It may not be working at the moment, but it used to. If you are logged into your CM account (which seems impossible at the moment due to the above), the link shows up somewhere on the puzzle pages.

So many things to iron out. I was up until 3am last night continuing my work on the redesign. I'm back at work today after a short holiday. I want a month off work (off everything) to get through the first 10 or 15 items on my TwistyPuzzles To Do list.

Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:09 pm 

Alright, thanks for the reply. Sorry if i was a bit harsh or anything, i honestly just had some innocent questions :) Good to hear things are coming along.

-CC10

Best solve: 28.84s

SSCoasters.net - the biggest K'Nex roller coaster website on the planet
KnexForum.com - the best forum for everything else K'Nex

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:17 pm 

CC10,

No need to apologize. I didn't take anything you said as harsh. In fact, I really appreciate people reporting these bugs to me. I'm working hard on a copy of the site, but it's offline and I'm rather unlikely to see things going wrong with the actual site. Given your response, I'm now wondering if my response came across as harsh! Perhaps you guys just need to get to know me again.

Whatever the case, both of the bugs you mentioned are "fixed"... if adding more spaghetti ever counts as fixing code. Putting bandaids on top of the existing bandaids in old code is rarely a good idea, but this actually seems like the one time when it may be okay: when you're hard at work on the new version.

Back to working the design... which, if I may say so myself, is awesome.

Sandy