Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 

Should a view counter be added to the collection page
Poll ended at Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:47 pm
Yes 91%  91%  [ 10 ]
No 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 11
 Post subject: View counter on collection pages?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:47 pm 

In the forum there is a counter that shows the number of replies and number of view to all the topics.

What about adding a view counter to the collection page. If people are going to take the time to post their collection for public viewing, it would be nice to know how many people are taking the time to look at it. Any comments on this. How about a poll?

Post subject: View counter on collection pages?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:56 pm 

I mean yes I accidently put no. So as of right now it is 2-0. Sorry for the poll mistake

:scrambled: from this 2 this :solved:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:10 pm 

Okay, it's done. The collection viewer script now shows the number of people who have viewed the collection.

I've tied this in with the main site counter (seen on the home page), and have overhauled the whole script (again), to have the ability to count any page (or groups of pages) as required.

The main site counter used to only count "hits" on the HOME page of the site. Any time someone loaded that page (and only that page), the counter was incremented. All other hits/visits were ignored. This was an unsatisfying solution in two different ways: 1) sometimes people hit that page more than once per visit, 2) sometimes (a lot of times) people didn't hit that page at all per visit.

The new (and hopefully final) counter now counts each "visit" (not hit). It will only count you ONCE per visit to the site, no matter how many pages you load while you're here. Notice that hitting your refresh/reload button will not increment any of the counters (although occassionally it may appear to do so since the increment happens at the same time as the viewing... hit the button multiple times in a row to see what I mean).

Finally, since I've moved to this system of counting site visitors as opposed to home page hits, I was able to consult my webstats software for this number, since it maintained an accurate count of site visitors dating back to the beginning in July 2002. The count shown on the home page now shows this value. I find it very disappointing to have passed 100k this way, but it's nice to finally have a decent counter script running.

Sandy

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]