Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Maximum posts per day
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:12 am 

Please add a feature to set a maximum number of posts per day for a specific user.
I think it's a good idea to use such an option for new members and for members that have misbehaved, but don't deserve a ban.
Of course, only mods would be able to use the feature.

Thomas

Post subject: Re: Maximum posts per day
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:45 am 

Thomas wrote:
Please add a feature to set a maximum number of posts per day for a specific user.
I think it's a good idea to use such an option for new members and for members that have misbehaved, but don't deserve a ban.
Of course, only mods would be able to use the feature.

Thomas

Actually, this sounds like a great idea of what we should do.

Anyone (except the administrators) should be allowed to post only 5-6 posts
per day. If it is something urgent they need to say to some other member,
they can certainly use a private message.

I believe *MANY* unecessary posts will be cut to minimum by doing this.
Moreover, each member will be always careful regarding what they say.

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:03 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:
Anyone (except the administrators) should be allowed to post only 5-6 posts
per day.

Moreover, each member will be always careful regarding what they say.

Actually, that's not what I said. Not everyone should be limited. Just new members, who haven't yet shown themselves worthy of unlimited posting, and those who have shown themselves unworthy of unlimited posting.

Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:16 pm 

I disagree with you, Pantazis. That would really restrict the usage of this site. I find myself visiting this site several times a day. I would venture to guess I post somewhere along the lines of 10+ messages a day. I like to think that I don't contribute to senseless banter as a general practice (though I guess maybe I have a few times). But to limit to a low number of posts with such a high number of forum boards, let alone the number of threads posted in a day would be a severe limitation.

If such restrictions were put on this site for regularly contributing members, I'd have to find myself somewhere else to occupy my time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:48 pm 

What I wouldn't mind seeing is LOCKING old threads to prevent unnecessary bumpage.

To limit posting is like censorship! (but I won't go into that).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:54 pm 

Thomas wrote:
Actually, that's not what I said. Not everyone should be limited. Just new members, who haven't yet shown themselves worthy of unlimited posting, and those who have shown themselves unworthy of unlimited posting.

Yes, you did state something else. I just thought of suggesting another point of view.

flambore wrote:
I disagree with you, Pantazis. That would really restrict the usage of this site. I find myself visiting this site several times a day. I would venture to guess I post somewhere along the lines of 10+ messages a day. I like to think that I don't contribute to senseless banter as a general practice (though I guess maybe I have a few times). But to limit to a low number of posts with such a high number of forum boards, let alone the number of threads posted in a day would be a severe limitation.

If such restrictions were put on this site for regularly contributing members, I'd have to find myself somewhere else to occupy my time.

Wow... ten posts per day? You really think this is not too much? I think it is!
As an alternative, a quota per week or month could be used
(e.g. 40 and 160 respectively).

The reason I suggest "everyone" is because I do not want to place myself
outside the cauldron, mainly as an example. And for extra posts, as I said,
you could just wait 24 hours, or send a PM. I sincerely think that it is fair.
Please do not see it as discouraging you to stay, this suggestion is only
based on the fact (because it *is* a fact) that many members who post
some unecessary message will think twice, and overall, the posts quality of the
forum will be sky high with bad public arguments being virtually eliminated.

reeeech wrote:
What I wouldn't mind seeing is LOCKING old threads to prevent unnecessary bumpage.

Censorship means no posts. And I believe my proposed limit is 3 times (in average)
the posts you do every day anyway!

;)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:12 pm 

The restricted access to this site is enough. A limited amount of post (even for new members) is censorship.

When I suscribed to this forum, I had to read rules and I did it. From now on, I am aware that moderators must intervene if I break those rules and that would be fair.

Punishement is better than censorchip.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:36 pm 

what you are suggesting is discouraging people from using a forum. Discussion is what a forum is for. And how can you say that because I am an active member of this forum that the number of times i decide to offer help, ask for advice, or compliment someone's fine craftwork is excessive and/or unnecessary? i don't get your view on this, but you are entitled to your own opinion.

I enjoy being part of this community but it would be pointless if i had to decide whether or not i can "afford" to tell someone that I think they did a nice job on their puzzles. i guess the first to go would be conversations like this. the next would be to complement people like Tony and Drew since everything they make is great. I try to encourage those who are new to puzzlemaking, but under your rules, that would be too costly.

I can't think of a single successful forum that is run under conditions like this.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:43 pm 

flambore wrote:
what you are suggesting is discouraging people from using a forum. Discussion is what a forum is for. And how can you say that because I am an active member of this forum that the number of times i decide to offer help, ask for advice, or compliment someone's fine craftwork is excessive and/or unnecessary? i don't get your view on this, but you are entitled to your own opinion.

I enjoy being part of this community but it would be pointless if i had to decide whether or not i can "afford" to tell someone that I think they did a nice job on their puzzles. i guess the first to go would be conversations like this. the next would be to complement people like Tony and Drew since everything they make is great. I try to encourage those who are new to puzzlemaking, but under your rules, that would be too costly.

I can't think of a single successful forum that is run under conditions like this.

I think you are right. people come here to discuss. It doesnt matter if you are new or not. You just have to make new member read the rules carefully!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:51 pm 

I could not disagree with this thread more. Why should some members be allowed to unlimited posting when others are not? And how are members supposed to prove themselves to the moderators if they are only allowed a certain number of posts per day? If new members have read the rules and have been following them why should new members be limited to how much they can post in one day? I feel that this thread was created purely to discriminate against new members.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:55 pm 

reeeech wrote:

I have to agree with this. I'm new to the thread and accidentaly bumped and old thread. This is a much better idea than restricting the number of posts.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:00 pm 

I can see the merit of a limited posting bandwidth, and I think it would be better applied to new members until they show restraint. Heck, if you are restrained, it will likely be no bother. I think most new members are great and it is really a minority who lack restraint, to the detriment of the forum. And for new members who think I am being unfair, it does tend to be new members who have this problem and most grow out of it or leave the forum.

I would however, argue for a longer period of measure. Per day may be too short. flambore has an average of about four posts per day so it is quite conceivable that he would post 10 one day and then just a few the next few days. Pantazis has an average of 2.5 which means it is quite likely he would be constrained by a three post per day limit, and often.

I can see some merit in having people pause and consider the cost of posting. If you can only have a few posts, you will want to make them count, and that could be very good for the traffic and content value on the forum. But it would have a freedom of expression cost. While this is not something owed to anyone by the forum, it is nice.

I still like the concept of bandwidth limited by a contribution value, voted on by member readers. It basically works out to a bandwidth limitation in the beginning until people generate good scores to free up more. People annoying others have their bandwidth limited by their poor scores, but get a minimum trickle so they have the bandwidth to demonstrate a change of behavior. High bandwidth valued members (new or old) would earn their right from the continued value others get from their contributions. I have no doubt flambore and Pantazis would fall into this category, and not worry about a limit.

This method then only limits people who's posts are not of value to others, and I think that is a worthy goal.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:06 pm 

Well, it seems my post stirred up something.

I would prefer that restrictions are not necessary. But the fact is that this forum has changed a lot over the years. So much so that quite a lot of old-time members no longer visit. Postcount has gone up dramatically. And I think the quality of the posts has gone down. And like Dave says, it's often the new members who don't always behave like most of us like to see. Quite often though, after a while, they turn out to be excellent members. But I do feel something has to change.

Let me respond to some remarks.

First, I don't see why a limited number of posts, on a forum about twisty puzzles, means censorship.
I intentionally didn't mention any numbers, but what is wrong with new members being allowed to posting only one or two posts a day? Even if on your first day here, you want to show us your just finished Petaminx and Examinx, two posts should be enough.

flambore wrote:
what you are suggesting is discouraging people from using a forum. Discussion is what a forum is for. And how can you say that because I am an active member of this forum that the number of times i decide to offer help, ask for advice, or compliment someone's fine craftwork is excessive and/or unnecessary?

Flambore, it seems you feel personally offended. But you are not a new member. Again, I intentionally didn't mention any numbers, but I guess any posting restrictions could automatically be removed after 10-20 days. And of course, mods can always decide to remove the restrictions sooner (or later).

Sven wrote:
You just have to make new member read the rules carefully!

But history shows me that new members (more than others) do not always follow the rules.

ofapel wrote:
Punishement is better than censorchip.

But then the damage has already been done.

ihatefrauwahlgren wrote:
If new members have read the rules and have been following them why should new members be limited to how much they can post in one day?

If it's obvious a new member is following the rules, a mod can decide to lift the restrictions.

ihatefrauwahlgren wrote:
I feel that this thread was created purely to discriminate against new members.

That's the idea yes. :-)

Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:25 pm 

Thomas wrote:
flambore wrote:
what you are suggesting is discouraging people from using a forum. Discussion is what a forum is for. And how can you say that because I am an active member of this forum that the number of times i decide to offer help, ask for advice, or compliment someone's fine craftwork is excessive and/or unnecessary?

Flambore, it seems you feel personally offended. But you are not a new member. Again, I intentionally didn't mention any numbers, but I guess any posting restrictions could automatically be removed after 10-20 days. And of course, mods can always decide to remove the restrictions sooner (or later).

I wasn't replying to your comments, I was replying to Pantazis, who is suggesting restricting everyone all the time.
I am not personally offended, I just think preventing people from contributing to a forum defeats the purpose of the forum unless you're breaking the rules.

Since I didn't offer my opinion on a solution, here goes.. I don't think there should be any initial restriction. Period. If someone is regularly asked to stop spamming or bumping threads or being rude, then perhaps a temporary limitation should be put on them, if such a thing is possible (I don't know of any mods for phpBB like this, but I assume someone could code one if they needed to). I would think you would want to encourage people to participate. I will not argue with anyone's comments about the fact that new users are typically the ones to cause this, but I wouldn't punish everyone just because of a few misguided individuals.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:17 pm 

Thomas wrote:
you are not a new member. Again, I intentionally didn't mention any numbers, but I guess any posting restrictions could automatically be removed after 10-20 days. And of course, mods can always decide to remove the restrictions sooner (or later).

Well, that then begs the question, who is considered to be a new member or not a new member. Is it if you've been at the forum more than two months (or another certain date) or someone who has proved themselves to not make stupid posts.

And if its the second one, how can you judge that, by at the end of the month there are nominations and voting? I think that's way too complicated, but i guess it could work.

Thomas, don't get me wrong, I agree with you, but by singling out new members is begs the questions which i asked in the beginning of the post.

Also, some not-new members don't come to the forum that often and act like some of the new members, so there isn't much of a way to judge.

Just my 2 cents...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:42 pm 

New members, according to me (but who am I), are people who have signed up less than 10-20 days ago. But that number is just a number.
In my opinion (again, who am I), there will not be any nominations and voting. Mods can decide to lift a 'limited posting' sooner, if they think a new member is already fit for unlimited posting. And mods will judge if a not-new member should get a 'limited posting setting'.

TheCube wrote:
Also, some not-new members don't come to the forum that often and act like some of the new members, so there isn't much of a way to judge.

If they do, then the mods will have the possibility to limit the number of posts such a member can make. Of course, if a member really misbehaves, mods can always decide to ban.

In conclusion... perhaps I should have proposed the following:

I think it's a good idea to use such an option for members who have shown to "lack restraint" (as Dave called it), but don't deserve a ban. Of course, only mods would be able to use the feature.

Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:01 pm 

I think that there should be a temp-ban system on these forums. I hate how its a perma-ban or no ban situation here.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:17 pm 

I agree with Dave. If there were to be a posting limit, people would have to post wisely otherwise you will hit the posting limit and not longer be able to post. I also agree with Dave that the time measured should be longer than a day for the same reasons as he listed. I think that it could be a possibility for all people to have a limit though because the people who have been on the forum longer seem to have a lower post per day count. In doing this, the newer members don't feel like they are being singled out for being new. Maybe people could request their upper limit to be raised temporarily by a mod if they had been gone from the forum for a while.

I remember when I joined (1st of January '07) I liked the forum a lot because there wasn't an overwhelming number of posts to read and also most of the posts were pretty high quality content-wise. It's less like that now. :?

I also think that a temp-ban would be useful seeing that would give them time to rethink their actions.

My favorite animal is the Pfargtl.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:59 pm 

Sven wrote:
flambore wrote:

I think you are right. people come here to discuss. It doesnt matter if you are new or not. You just have to make new member read the rules carefully!

All fo those points would be valid. However, it seems not many read the rules.
And the unecessary remarks have increased the last years. I hope my view
*can* be seen now. ;)

And I repeat, it is not censorship. Censorship is completely NO posts.
Replying the next day and/or PM are *also* excellent options.

For advise or compliments, why no one likes PMs? Please answer this and don't avoid it
before replying with the same answer. Maybe because people like to show off?
(don't get me wrong, I love to show off, but at least I admit it! LOL)

As a lighter note, I like David's (Litwin) "contribution bandwidth suggestion"

;)

Pantazis

PS. flambore, like stated, I am making general suggestions, I am not refering to
your personal contribution which in any case, is a fine one!
PS2. Thomas, I am really sorry I kind of slightly changed the direction of your
thread topic. But it is a very interesting one! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:34 pm 

I don't like PMs because I keep an archive of all my personal correspondence, and the PM system does not allow me to do that. That's why I prefer emails. If PMs can be forwarded to you as emails, and if you can reply to PMs with an email, then I would use it. Essentially, the PM systems is a way of communicating between users of the site without exposing any personal information other than what's already known - like the nickname. I can see how you could set this up while still using emails. Craigslist is a good example.

Anyhow, I am also against the posting limit. On many days I don't post a single message. But if one days I want to post more actively, I don't want to be limited. I could see this as a administrative tool - used at the admin's discretion and applied to a particular disturber.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:11 pm 

professorcube5x5 wrote:
I think that there should be a temp-ban system on these forums. I hate how its a perma-ban or no ban situation here.

what are you talking about? some of the people who "contributed" in the Religion and Cubers thread got banned for two weeks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:13 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:
For advise or compliments, why no one likes PMs? Please answer this and don't avoid it
before replying with the same answer. Maybe because people like to show off?
(don't get me wrong, I love to show off, but at least I admit it! LOL)

Yes, to be honest, it is partially about that. It's also about encouragement, and it's about showing appreciation for the work of others.

Regarding PMs, Alesky make an excellent point. The forums are archived forever. PMs are limited to 100 messages. I am constantly deleting messages just so I can read my new ones. I said before that I probably post 10 messages a day- I probably have 10-15 PMs a day as of late. (and by the way, I have never ignored a single one. :P) But I like to archive my PMs, and it's a manual process. So now I have to copy/paste the contents of any PMs I have into a text file on my computer. So while PM'ing someone to congratulate them on a nice puzzle is nice, it's also nice for that person to read through their thread and see the various compliments, suggestions, criticism, etc. I have referred back to several of my threads to look at the suggestions people have made (and to enjoy the compliments from time to time).

One last thought- it only takes one message in one thread to piss off the entire board (or Americans anyway). :) So a quote would not control all abuse, just one isolated one.

Quote:
PS. flambore, like stated, I am making general suggestions, I am not refering to
your personal contribution which in any case, is a fine one!

I understand that, and I really wasn't taking it personal. I was just using myself as an example, because I am quite active here. There are certainly others who fall under the same category who also contribute to the site in a way that is not abusive.

Ok, so I guess we've gone on and on about this enough times. I've provided my opinion on the matter, and you have also. I respect your viewpoints, but I disagree with the global application of it. I certainly don't limit anyone from posting on my site, and I have never had any problems like that.

peace. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:23 pm 

TheCube wrote:
professorcube5x5 wrote:

what are you talking about? some of the people who "contributed" in the Religion and Cubers thread got banned for two weeks

Lately it seems like you are either a member, not a member, or banned, with no gray zone. Maybe I've missed something.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:17 am 

ok then. I think we got some nice conclusion.

Summarising, there could be some sort of "contribution-based" restrictions,
and there should be an option where private messages are forwarded to our emails.

From all the replies above, I think this would please the vast majority.

Pantazis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:19 am 

...or we could just leave things as-is. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:15 am 

flambore wrote:
...or we could just leave things as-is. :)

and keep some senior members who used to come here, away.
(LOL sorry, but you were asking for this, and should have seen it coming)

;)

Pantazis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:27 am 

professorcube5x5 wrote:
TheCube wrote:
professorcube5x5 wrote:

Lately it seems like you are either a member, not a member, or banned, with no gray zone. Maybe I've missed something.

Bans are usually not permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:55 am 

flambore wrote:

I agree with you actually. You misunderstood what I said.
I said that there is already a restricted access and it's enough. I could register because I already know some members here. If I had to choose, I will leave free access to registration.

And obviously you do right encouraging and complementing puzzlemakers. You're not breaking rules doing this. breaking rules means being rude, insulting or simply telling a fairy tale when you're asked how to use saw.
However, we are human. An off-topic from time to time is not annoying.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:32 am 

I like the idea of having a post limit one they have spammed or broken some sort of rule.

I dont like the idea of a limit on all users.

Cap-hits, not Cafits

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:46 am 

THAT would be a better idea indeed.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:10 pm 

I would like a post limit on new members and people who have broken a rule or have spammed, but not on all members

Personal Bests -single(avg of 12)
3x3-22.21(27.09)
4x4-1:28.18(1:53.49)
5x5-3:23.99(3:55.61)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:27 pm 

Danny Devitt wrote:
Bans are usually not permanent.

I guess you're right. I've been banned before, and I'm still here :)

I just don't like the idea of limiting post numbers. It seems like the problem is less "quantity" than it is "quality". I see more and more posts every day that either don't follow the original topic, should be PMs, or are just inappropriate or offensive. Unfortunately theres not much you can do to raise post quality so it would seem logical to limit quantity, but I just don't think it would work well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:19 pm 

While i understand that the idea behind limiting posts on everyone is to ensure higher-quality posts, i don't think that's the solution here. This board has ban/temp ban features that are effective in dire circumstances, but i do agree with thomas that in some cases discipline that is less dire than a ban/temp ban is required, and limiting specific member's posts temporarily seems like it may offer some intermediate discipline.

Also, on another forum i frequent, there's a character minimum per post. I do see posts like "nice job" or "really cool!" here and there, and those really don't contribute anything. If there's some notification that says "Sorry, but your post must contain at least 25 characters" or something along those lines, anyone making such a post would theoretically see that they need to actually contribute something and not just post randomness.

But i will say that limiting posts for all members is a bit too harsh. What if, say, there's a limited production run of some puzzle and only 5 are being made and there's a post limit on every member. If a member who can afford it, wants to buy it and attempts to make an offer sees "We're sorry, you cannot post anymore today", and the rest of the puzzles are spoken for within hours, that's a SEVERE problem. Limited production is a first-come first-serve thing as far as i can see, and by limiting the number of posts you could severely jeopardize that characteristic. And in the case of a PM, what if that user isn't on until all of the cubes are spoken for? Even if a PM was sent, the puzzles are spoken for in the thread and that member just got screwed out of a puzzle due to some post count limit they didn't deserve.

Obviously an extreme example, but most members here can exercise restraint in a post. Those that cannot need to be disciplined, and limiting posting seems like a good median between reprimanding and temp-banning.

-CC10

Best solve: 28.84s

SSCoasters.net - the biggest K'Nex roller coaster website on the planet
KnexForum.com - the best forum for everything else K'Nex

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:26 am 

I am playing a magazine puzzle with a group out of the UK, I've "known" these folks for about 3 years now, and this has never come up. Last week I was very surprised to find that two of the forum members are young. One is 12 and the other 14. They made a side comment and I asked someone else about it. Turns out they are the children of one of the other memebers. Now, I liked what she did. She told them they are "playing with adults so they have to act like it" They have and they do. I think that is the rule we need to have here. Limiting posts might not be the answer, but always keeping in mind that "more mature" people are on the board might just work. If your mom and dad would get angry about what has been written, don't write it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:27 am 

reeeech wrote:

But then necessary bumps cannot take place. Bumping should not be blocked but there should be a greater focus on rules. I don't know what current procedure is but all prospective new members should be sent the rules, asked to read and reflect on them and agree to them before being allowed to join.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:16 pm 

coastercrazy10 wrote:
What if, say, there's a limited production run of some puzzle and only 5 are being made and there's a post limit on every member. If a member who can afford it, wants to buy it and attempts to make an offer sees "We're sorry, you cannot post anymore today", and the rest of the puzzles are spoken for within hours, that's a SEVERE problem. Limited production is a first-come first-serve thing as far as i can see, and by limiting the number of posts you could severely jeopardize that characteristic. And in the case of a PM, what if that user isn't on until all of the cubes are spoken for? Even if a PM was sent, the puzzles are spoken for in the thread and that member just got screwed out of a puzzle due to some post count limit they didn't deserve.

I suppose if the original poster was so limited as to make the rules that people *have* to post, and unwilling to look at the date associated with the posts and PMs, yes, you would have a problem.

But in this case I might argue that the whole thing could be better handled by PMs anyway. Does a limited "first come first served" situation require public viewing? Most are not handled this way. Mostly people offer something and the next post you see is "OK, I found a buyer".

A few exceptions I can think of are things like order lists for puzzles to be made, but many have taken these off line as well (Me, Scott, etc.). Pantazis did an online "how much would you pay" thread where the first number of posts qualified for a lottery, but that was mostly about getting people to publicly post their view of the value of his puzzle for pricing info.

So while a potential issue, it seems a bit contrived, and certainly not the way someone would probably set something up if they new about a post limit.

Interestingly, despite my general "post better, post less" leaning, I find value in the "Good job!" posts, but it is highly subjective. I really think it is good for the community to praise those who make a cool puzzle or just do a great job on a simple puzzle, particularly for a new member or first time builder. It lets everyone know they are appreciated. They can certainly be done in PMs, but for someone new or just getting started seeing others praised is a good motivator. If it all went through PMs it might look like no one cared. So for me the value in that outweighs any burden from a bunch of short "Cool!" posts. This advantage, of course, is a short term thing and once you get past the introduction you can have the problem of bumping an old topic. At this point it is in conflict with other rules though.

Dave
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:18 pm 

Dave: i was talking about a select few newer members who post that in, say, a tony fisher custom puzzle topic and say "good job". Of course Tony did a good job, and those posts are next to worthless. If you're prompted to add to the post, you might say "i like such and such of this puzzle especially" or something along those lines. I've seen it work before and i was just throwing it out there.

And yes my idea was a bit contrived, but my point was that by limiting everybody's posts you may have members missing out on things that they really could/should/want to be in on.

-CC10

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:48 pm 

I am completely against any kind of limit on posting for any members except those who prove that they need limits. Reasons against post limits have been listed above; I don't need to restate them. As for the minimum amount of characters for posting, I answered a question in 10 characters here, showing that there are times when it is ok to have really short posts. I think we can trust the rest of the forum members to make sure that their posts are worth posting. Sometimes I find myself typing a post then realizing that it doesn't really contribute anything useful, so I don't post.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:04 pm 

Justin B wrote:
I am completely against any kind of limit on posting for any members except those who prove that they need limits. Reasons against post limits have been listed above; I don't need to restate them. As for the minimum amount of characters for posting, I answered a question in 10 characters here, showing that there are times when it is ok to have really short posts. I think we can trust the rest of the forum members to make sure that their posts are worth posting. Sometimes I find myself typing a post then realizing that it doesn't really contribute anything useful, so I don't post.

Yes, but you could have just as easily said "OH stands for One-Handed." and got 25 characters out of it. It's not like i'm proposing a 300 word minimum post or anything, just a small thing to nudge a poster who may be posting something useless on a whim.

-CC10

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:52 am 

Bounb wrote:
reeeech wrote:

But then necessary bumps cannot take place. Bumping should not be blocked but there should be a greater focus on rules. I don't know what current procedure is but all prospective new members should be sent the rules, asked to read and reflect on them and agree to them before being allowed to join.

I'm not talking about active old topics - but ones that when people say "I want one" (or something similar) to bump and old thread and then everyone chimes in "Why are you bumping an old thread?".

Those threads that are old and not worth bumping should be locked.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:49 pm 

I very much agree with Thomas on this matter. Especially his second proposal.
I am a fairly new member. I am not, and probably will never be, a big poster. But I have been reading the board for a long time now. And in that time I have seen a real decline in post quality, and an incline in quantity. Both useless threads an posts seem to pop up all over. A lot of questions are asked that can easily be answered by using the search function, or even just some random browsing. Also, a lot of things are posted that really should be kept to Pm. I've also read some really intrusive and rude questions and statements about all kinds of things that are nobody's business to begin with. It's almost painful to see this happen. And I especially can imagine how sad this must be for the people that have been here for many years. It's such a waste.

I could go on and on about how much I hate rules, surveillance and all those kinds of things.
What I have come to realise though is that reality teaches that these things are necessary. Because before you know it your neighbours will paint their house barbie pink and park their car on your lawn. Or use more emoticons and exclamation marks in a post than actual words.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:11 pm 

Lately I've been getting off topic in some threads and I apologize for that and I will not do it anymore. I can't agree with you anymore yodor I am not a big poster either, I've been here for almost a year and have 223 posts. I have noticed the increase in uneeded posts and thread, plus thread bumps so I think that we should go with reeeech's idea about locking old threads.
just my 2 cents :)