Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: TIME
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:36 am 

Sandy,

how do they come on this time (GMT -7) :?: :!:
Why not GMT -5 or GMT -8 :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:06 am 

If you see "All times are GMT - 7 Hours" at the bottom of every page, that means you set your time zone to "GMT - 7" on your Profile page. Feel free to change it to whatever you want... but if it's not correct, message time stamps will appear incorrectly.

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:14 am 

but why is "forum time" GMT -7 , not GMT -5(that is their time) :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:23 am 

I guess I'm not sure what you mean. The forum doesn't have or need a time setting. It merely has to save all the message times in the same time zone and format so it can convert the times to whatever time zone the reader happens to be in.

If you live in GMT-5, but you have your time zone setting on your Profile page set to GMT-7, all the messages will appear to have been posted 2 hours LATER than they actually were. For example, after you post a new message, go check the time it was posted. If your time is set incorrectly as in my example above, the message will appear to have been posted almost two hours in the future, even though you just posted it a few moments ago.

Go to your Profile page, change your time zone setting to your local time zone, and everything will appear correctly.

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:40 am 

My profile is correctly adjusted.
If I not logged in, then is GMT -7 time !
Why not GMT -5 time?
Why did they select to GMT -7, did give it a reason?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:53 pm 

Okay, I finally understand!

You're right... it was arbitrarily set to GMT-7 for some reason. I don't know why, perhaps that's the time zone my host's server is located in, or perhaps that is the time zone the forum software creators live in. I've changed it to GMT-5, but that's sort of arbitrary as well, as it just happens to be the time zone in which I live.

All in all, I don't think it matters much. People in this forum come from all over the world, and no matter which time zone I choose, there are always going to be more people who live outside of it than inside. Furthermore, most people will register and will navigate the board while logged in since it is required for posting, meaning the times will show relative to their current time zone.

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:59 pm 

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]