Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New puzzles by Tony Fisher, part 2
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:38 am 
This message was sent via my computer using the name of Tony Fisher and using the integral text as supplied to me by Tony.

Geert Hellings
=======================================================

Previously Geert posted brief details of my 2*2*6 and 4*4*6 prototypes. Both puzzles are made from master cubes and inspired by Geerts original 2*2*6.
The diagram shows the internal of my 2*2*6 alongside the 3 different pieces which need to be created to make one.
It also shows how the master cube has to be cut down in addition to Geerts centre modification.
The photos show how I made the fully functional 4*4*6 by adding 2 new complete layers to a master cube.
As with the 2*2*6 it is necessary that the master cube centres can move independant of the surrounding edges and corners.
Instead of rounding them off, however, I have cut a circle into the edges and corners to a depth of 1 cm.
This creates a shelf which the centres (after a little internal modification) can slide around on.
It also creates a space around the centres which the new 4*4*6 edges and corners can slot into.
Further work is required to stop them falling out and the centres are built to the correct height.
All extra parts were made from plastic sheet except for aluminium strenghtening on the corners.
It was necessary to reshape 32 master cube pieces.
This was done with a small saw, file, craft knife and sharpened mini screw driver used as a chisel.
Without electric precision tools I found it difficult to get everything accurate.
Despite nearly 100 hours work (starting Christmas day) the final puzzle can be very difficult to turn at times with corners hanging loosely.
For this reason I am very unlikely to make more.
Thanks to Geert Hellings, Ton Dennenbroek and Dieter Gebhardt for help, inspiration and puzzles.

Tony.

[img]http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/files2/mechTF162-251-50-236!2-4-2004!12-52-56!PM.jpg WIDTH=576>

Post subject: Re: New puzzles by Tony Fisher, part 2
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:27 pm 

Hi Tony / Geert,

Thanks so much for sharing the details with us! So simple yet ingenious.

Wayne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:55 pm 

Maybe we could take up a collection and buy Tony some electric tools. Think what he could do then!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:04 pm 

I want the second image back.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:04 pm 

His 2x2x6 mechanism is exactly as I sketched out on a notepad when the puzzles were first shown. Now I got the warm and fuzzies and feeling pretty good about myself. The sensation should last, oh, until I click on the "save" button to end this post.

Post subject: Could you please put the second picture back?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:21 pm 

I am not moving, nor it's a more interesting picture than the one it replaced. I have no idea where this picture comes from! Any ideas? Anyhow, I'd like the original picture back...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:50 pm 

What are you talking about Aleksey? Did a picture change or something?!

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:04 pm 

Quote:
What are you talking about Aleksey? Did a picture change or something?!

Yep! I know it sounds crazy, but it does changes sometimes! Sometimes an advertisement appears instead of the second photo, something about a move, etc, etc. What's funny, the change stays in sync with the original twistymegasite's posting! They change simultaneously! :shock: Now I do sound like a bad movie, don't I?

Post subject: New puzzles by Tony Fisher, part 2
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:20 pm 

I have a idea!!! You only did 2 out of 6 sides of the opposite ends. Call me crazy!!! But I would love it if you could extend them all on every side!!! Only if possible. That I think would look very cool. Those are my 2 cents. :scrambled: :arrow: :solved: