Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who's Who...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:54 pm 

1) 18, Canada, student
2) I am into all solving, collecting, and building. Started with the 3x3 wanting to solve now I have a bigger collection and have even modded some of my own!
3) I’ve only be cubing for about 4 or 5 months but am really into it.
4) I have made a 2x2x4 and a 1x1x3. I’ve also made a keyboard letter 3x3 cube (first one)
5) I have about 25. Not too sure how much it would be worth. Worth more to me than some others.
6) I don’t have too many just try and stay away from wooden puzzles.
7) I guess my first 3x3x3 would be it. Lots of hard work
8) I guess my 5x5 would be the most valuable
9) 3x3 is defiantly my favorite because everyone has seen one and knows the general idea of it.
10) Hockey and I am also a magician
11) I can’t wait to learn lots from all you guys and glad to be here!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:35 pm 

Hi. This is my first post on Twistypuzzles, and I figured this would be a good place to start.

1) Age, location, profession, eBay ID?
I'm 15 years old, a student in Lenexa Ks, and my mom has the eBay ID...

2) Is your main twisty puzzles interest solving, collecting, building, or something else?
My main interest is in solving, but I have tried my hand in building a few puzzles. Every day I think of a puzzle I want to build and a few mechanism ideas come to mind, so as soon as I can scrape up the funds, I think I'll start making some more serious puzzles.

3) How long have you been doing the above? If (like most of us) you lost touch with the field for a while, tell us the story! How did you get dragged back in?
I bought my first cube at a Hastings in 2003. I couldn't solve it and didn't want to look up the solution online, so I eventually peeled and reset the stickers, then promptly lost the cube. In December 2006 I picked up my sister's and asked myself how it's solved. I looked up the solution online and soon got my times to around 40 seconds.
Funny story on how I got my Pyraminx: my friend Eric brought his dad's Pyraminx to school and I started solving (i had already learned how on the computer). An edge popped out and he popped it back in. When he did, one of the screws inside shattered, and I he gave it to me to fix. I lost the corner that wne back on the puzzle, and to make it up to him, I gave him my Revolution. It was a very good trade, I must say.
Oh yeah, and I taught my friend Joe how to solve the cube while we were on a boat last summer. He did manage to solve it once, though it was a lucky case (short OLL, PLL skip)

4) If you build puzzles, what have you built, and what are your current projects?
I made a 2x2 Magic out of wood and fishing line, but it broke within a few minutes. I've also built a dodecagonal prism puzzle and a star prism puzzle, as well as a 2x2x2 with a Snake Mechanism. There was that cube that had Energy cards from the Pokemon TCG, but does that really count as a mod?

5) How many puzzles are in your collection? Would you dare estimate how much it's worth?
As of April 208, I have about 30 puzzles, the crown jewel of them being the tab-and-groove Domino I won on eBay. I don't know how much the collection's worth, but I can say it's not much.

6) How would you define the "boundaries" of your collection? In other words, which types of puzzles do you collect, and which puzzles do you avoid?
I won't go all-out for any specific puzzle. For example. I'm not spending my days trying to track down an original Dino Cube when so many other people are looking for them as well.

7) Which one of your puzzles is the sentimental favourite and why?
Tough one. I like my Pyraminx just because of how it came to be in my possesion. But i also like my Megaminx because I have so many mod ideas for it.

8) Which one would currently have the most monetary value on eBay?
The Domino, by far. I won it for $75, and from what I can gather, that a bit of a deal.

9) What is your favourite puzzle overall for: a) solving, b) appearance, c) feel, d) complexity, e) other reasons.
For solving, I don't really like the bigger puzzles. I'm the person who jsut wants to hurry up and get it solved, and I can't easily do that on the the Megaminx and 5x5x5, for example. For appearance, it would be the Megaminx. I just like the way it feels in my hands. For complexity, also the Megaminx. Other than taht, my Pyraminx for the same reasons.

10) Enough about puzzles. Do you have any other hobbies?
I like to write. Especially science fiction, but no the Star Wars type. most of what I write about is within the realm of possibility, though it's unlike it'll ever happen.

11) Is there anything else interesting about yourself that you'd like to share?
Not really...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:46 pm 

1) 15, Arizona, School, backout3152
2) I'm mainly interested in solving, but lately my collection has been starting to grow pretty fast and I'm planning on doing some mods soon.
3) I started seriously cubing about 2 months ago. About 6 months ago, I saw a science teacher at my school solve a 3x3, and vowed to learn to do so myself. As soon as I arrived home that day I began learning a standard LBL solution. I focused on getting good at each step one at a time rather than learning the whole solution at once. I got about half way through the solution when I lost interest. However, two months ago, I decided I would learn again. The day I decided that, I brought my cube to school and memorized the rest of the solution throughout the day. By the time I got home from school that day, I could solve it in about 3.5 minutes. I've been obsessed since that day. I now average around 50.00 seconds and my PB is 42.34. I'm currently learning Fridrich and I'm almost done memorizing F2L.
4) I haven't started building puzzles yet.
5) I have 12 puzzles currently, with another 9 on in the mail. I'd would guess it's worth about 100.00 only including the ones I actually have in my possession.
6) I really just want a variety of different challenges in my collection. I would collect the same puzzles from different years and special edition ones to a degree, but definately would not collect sticker variations like special edition sports ones or puzzles like Homer Simpson heads.
7) I really don't think I have a sentimental favorite.
8) Not really sure, I don't own anything particularly rare.
9) a) DIY 3x3 b) Dogic c) Skewb, d) Square-1 e) 5x5, because it gets those most attention from onlookers.
10) Guitar, electronics, I like inventing crazy gadgets and building lasers.
11) I'm an admin at this laser related forum: http://spectraforum.com/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:39 am 

Hey everybody!
1. im 16 and i live in the bronx right in new york city and im a sophomore in high school. ebay id=dannyb21892
2. My main interest is solving although I love to add puzzlles to my collection. i recently got into puzzle building as well and ive made a few things with a teraminx on the way!
3. I began cubing when my friend brought a 3x3x3 in to school in october '07 and ive been addicted ever since (i thought it was awesome that he could solve a side :lol: )
4. I've built a half-truncated cube, a 2x2x3 and im working on a 3x3x2 and a teraminx!
5. I have somewhere around 25 puzzles probably worth around $400 (I bought a master pyramorphix for 250 on ebay thats why the total is so much)
6. I try to avoid shapeshifting puzzles that arent cuboids. Different dimension cuboids and stuff like the square 1 is okay but I prefer stuff that maintains its shape.
7. My favorite puzzle has to be my eastsheen 5x5x5. i used to have a rubik's brand but the eastsheen is a million times better.
8. the master pyramorphix would probably sell for the most but that might change if the teraminx works out for me.
9. favorite for: solving is the 3x3x3
appearance is the half truncated cube
feel is the eastsheen 5x5x5 (so smooth)
complexity is the master pyramorphix
10. I love playing the piano and i run track (#2 sophomore in my borough in the triple jump!)
11. nothing much else...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:20 pm 

1) Age, location, profession, eBay ID? - 35 years old, living in Schneider, IN. I work as a data gatherer and UAT coordinator for my IT company's application packaging group. My eBay ID is alcazar84.

2) Is your main twisty puzzles interest solving, collecting, building, or something else? - I am only interested in solving and collecting. My best time for the 3x3x3 cube is 1:30, and I'm not good enough solving anything else to be timed on it yet.

3) How long have you been doing the above? If (like most of us) you lost touch with the field for a while, tell us the story! How did you get dragged back in? - I got my first cube when I was 7 or 8. I bought a book about how to solve the cube from my local Ace Hardware store back around 1980 or so. I lost it behind my dresser for a few years. It didn't make any sense to me at the time, anyway. A few years later, I found the book, reread it, and this time it made sense. I finally solved my cube! From then on, it was practice, practice, practice until I could solve it without looking at the book. Now I try to work on my time, but I don't know if I'll do much better than 1:30.

4) If you build puzzles, what have you built, and what are your current projects? - I do not build puzzles.

5) How many puzzles are in your collection? Would you dare estimate how much it's worth? - I probably have between 50-75 puzzles. They sit around in a bin and don't see the light of day because I don't have anywhere to display them yet. But someday soon I hope to. I have probably spent around $1000 on them over the past 10 years I've been collecting them. I imagine they're not worth as much as that today.

6) How would you define the "boundaries" of your collection? In other words, which types of puzzles do you collect, and which puzzles do you avoid? - I collect most of the traditional puzzles and some of the original puzzles I've seen people create. I have most of the familiar cube-type puzzles, several of the puzzles that started out as cubes but people modified them (truncated cubes, half-truncated, pillow, diamond, that sort of thing), a few pyramids, and others shaped in the various Platonic solids (Skewb Ultimate, Dogic, Alex's Star, etc.). I tend to avoid puzzles that are distant cousins of the Cube, like Rubik's UFO and other oddly shaped puzzles, as well as anything on a keychain.

7) Which one of your puzzles is the sentimental favourite and why? - I don't know if I have a sentimental favorite puzzle. One that I paid the most for isn't necessarily one I like the best. I don't know how to answer this question.

8) Which one would currently have the most monetary value on eBay? - I would guess the diamond octahedron with 9 triangles on each face would fetch the most on eBay. Somebody in the forums is creating them for $100 each right now. I have also placed an order with either the same creator or a different one (I don't know if the same guy is making both kinds or not) for a custom made Dino cube. Those always skyrocket when someone sells one on eBay.

9) What is your favourite puzzle overall for: a) solving, b) appearance, c) feel, d) complexity, e) other reasons. - I've only solved the 3x3x3 cube, the 2x2x2 cube, and the Pyraminx pyramid. I enjoy solving all 3 of them. Appearancewise, I like the way my 4x4x4 truncated cube looks. I also like the way another custom made puzzle looks. I don't have it in front of me, so I can't describe it very well, but it at one time started out as a cube, then the edges were truncated, and finally the corners were truncated, so it ended up with more than just the standard 6 colors.

10) Enough about puzzles. Do you have any other hobbies? - I have a lot of theoretical hobbies, and a few real ones. In theory, I enjoy riding my bicycle, playing computer games, board games, and card games, and reading sci-fi and fantasy novels. I rarely get to enjoy any of these activities these days, much less so than before I met my wife, and even less now that we have moved a few states away from all of my gaming friends. Sometimes in theory, sometimes in reality, I also try my hand at investing, that is until certain companies I invest in come out with earnings reports that make their stock prices move in ways I don't want them to move. Then the money runs out, and I try again the following year after I can save up to fund my trading account again.

11) Is there anything else interesting about yourself that you'd like to share? - I'm very musical. I play the oboe, the clarinet, all the instruments of the recorder family, the bass guitar, and I know how to play but have not played the trumpet and the saxophone. I have an amazing gift called relative pitch, which allows me to play back almost any melody I hear for the first time with incredible accuracy. I never knew it was a gift when I was in middle school. I thought this was something everybody could do. I am very much into band music (concert band, not rock'n'roll band), and I have played with the country's oldest community band for the past 19 years, the Holton-Elkhorn Band of Elkhorn, WI. Now that I have moved away from that area, I need to find a new community band to play with.

- Scott

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:58 pm 

15, Florida, Student, N/E
2) Is your main twisty puzzles interest solving, collecting, building, or something else?
I started out speed solving, but now am more interested in building and collecting.
3) How long have you been doing the above? If (like most of us) you lost touch with the field for a while, tell us the story! How did you get dragged back in?
In December 2006, my friend got a Rubik's Cube for Christmas. I had never gotten to use one. After playing around with it for a few minutes, I knew I wanted to learn to solve it. In January 2007 I got one for my birthday, and finally solved it four months later. ;)
4) If you build puzzles, what have you built, and what are your current projects?
I have currently only built an extended 3x3x4. I have no current projects
5) How many puzzles are in your collection? Would you dare estimate how much it's worth?
I have 26 puzzles currently, I will edit this post with a list later. ;) Probably worth around $200, maybe a bit more.
6) How would you define the "boundaries" of your collection? In other words, which types of puzzles do you collect, and which puzzles do you avoid?
I collect more then just what are considered twisty puzzles. I have moving bead and tile puzzles like the 15 puzzle and babylon tower, and a couple more that aren't in the same category as most of my puzzles. =P
My 15 puzzle. It's simple to solve, and it's my first puzzle I ever owned, even before my 3x3. Of course, I had no idea how to solve and didn't really have any desire to until I got into cubing. :)
Probably my Rubik's Icon, or my extended 3x3x4.
9) What is your favourite puzzle overall for: a) solving, b) appearance, c) feel, d) complexity, e) other reasons.
a) My Rubik's 4x4
b) My white DIY
c) Probably my ES 4x4
d) My Babylon Tower: I have yet to solve more than one column ;)
e) My broken 1x7 Rubik's Magic: I really enjoy how much more you can move it than a working 2x4 ;)

Competitive swimming and video games.
No. ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:42 am 

15, California, student
My main goal would be to solve as many as possible. Second would then be doing them faster, of course. I suppose collecting is then 3rd although my "collection" is pretty small right now.
Well like many/most people, I had randomly encountered rubik's cubes without knowing how to solve them. I didn't really care or think about them at all. Last christmas, at someone's party, we had a random gift exchange thingy and I got a rubik's cube. So I obviously messed it up and then had no idea how to solve. For whatever reason, I just couldn't stand having the damn cube sitting there unsolved so I youtubed a solution and have been hooked ever since.
While I haven't built anything yet, I do plan to make a siamese sometime.
Including puzzles that are currently being shipped to me, I have 15 puzzles. They are all pretty common except one which is hardly a twisty puzzle and isn't rare or worth much. I'd estimate my collection at a few hundred dollars or so.
I want to try to collect as many different kinds of puzzles as I can although price defies me from having much more than anything common. By different kinds of puzzles, i mean a puzzle whose concept has somehow been changed. A sticker variation would not count unless it made the puzzle into a super-cube (or other super-polyhedra). Luckily, virtual polyhedra allow me to solve as many as possible with buying them and in some cases it allows for puzzles that haven't been created in the real world yet.
Sentimentally, I would have to say 3x3 simply because it was the first one.
pyraminx crystal
a) in real life, either 3x3 or 4x4; virtually, probably the magic octahedron (for an easy, relaxed solve, at least).
b) idk
c) ES 4x4 I think
d) this one
Pretty much just hangin' with friends and such. I'm not too into sports or any other organized activities. (By which I mean a group, club, team, etc.)
...................nope, I'm good.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:06 am 

Sandy wrote:

35, Washington DC, grad student, macracan
Sandy wrote:

toying with them, solving, building
Sandy wrote:

I got dragged back into it several times. Usually it is the introduction of something new that triggers my calling back. Like when I saw the 4x4x4 and then I discovered the 5x5x5
Sandy wrote:

3x3x2 and fully functional centers only 4x4x4 (extended from 2x2x2) in the works. I wish I had more time for this.
Sandy wrote:

I got 2 boxes full of stuff like this, but I wouldn't call myself a serious collector.
Sandy wrote:

I like twisty polyhedra. Not crazy about magiks or pucks. Square1 drives me crazy because it is not symmetrical :).
Sandy wrote:

My first 3x3x3. It hangs by a thread (almost literally) and stinks of soap (I used to lube it with it).
Sandy wrote:

None are for sale :). I don't have anything in the 'collector' range. If it is more then $50, it is too much for a toy. I wouldn't buy it, but rather I'd build it.
Sandy wrote:
9) What is your favorite puzzle overall for: a) solving, b) appearance, c) feel, d) complexity, e) other reasons.

I would guess the higher order minxes. Although, event the skewb gives me trouble.
Sandy wrote:

Math, computer languages, geometrical structures and circular knitting. Go figure...
Sandy wrote:

My name is Adrian. Anybody finds that interesting? Didn't think so :).

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:40 am 

17, England (Reading), None/None

At the moment? Solving, by far. Been messing around with Gelatinbrains applets addictively.

Never Touched a cube until I got one from my gran, Christmas 2007. Now it has been intergrated into my everyday life :D

I'm going to have a go at puzzle building in the near future. I am a fair craftsman, but I will still need to look into what can be built using what etc...

3x3, 4x4, Skewb, Skewb Diamond, Skewb Ultimate, Pyraminx, Megaminx. I have a bunch of other puzzles that arn't twisty, but they don't exactly have names.

Uhh...

3x3, Duh.

I have no idea :|

a) 3x3 (just for speed)
b) Skewb. I'ts beautiful.
c)Pyraminx.
d)I wouldn't consider any of my puzzles to be complex, they are all fairly simple.
I would have to go with the Pentultimate, since It's clearly Over 9000.

Loads.
Whenever it's sunny, I will be at the skatepark busting out some Early Grabs.
I'm grade 8 on Piano and Trumpet, but I would say my favorite instrument is my electric guitar (self taught).
I'm a super smash bros melee fanatic. Brawl was a massive let down for me.
I exercise, everyday if possible. Running, Press ups and Chin ups for me :p

I own a Crested Gecko :p
Oh, and my real name isn't actually Percy, but thats what everyone has called me for the last 7 or 8 years.
So stick with that.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:40 pm 

Im 14, I live in Jupiter Florida, my profession is school, and I use my moms ebay ID: ldlaplume

My main puzzle interest right now is building

I got my first rubik's cube when I was 5 and gave up on that and then a year ago my mom bought me another one and when I learned to solve it I was hooked

I have built a 3x3x5 extended, 3x3x4 octagonal barrel, siamese cube and I am currently working on a half truncated cube

I have 12 different types at the moment

I like almost all of them

At the moment I like the 3x3x5

haven't sold anything yet

a) 3x3
b) idk they all look good
c) skewb
d) square-1

Ya I play guitar, bmx, and chill with my friends

no not really

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:23 pm 

My name is Nikola, born in Bosnia, live in Quebec, student, the family ebay ID: drag_t226

Building

Some months I don't know how much

I build a Bicube, Fused Cube, Barrel cube and someothers, at right now I'm building a Square-X (a mod I invent)

29 I think, don't know how much

My favorites are customs (build, not bought)

Maybe my Bicube because it's my first one, but in a week or two it will be my Square-X

Megaminx I think

Music, friends, tel,etc

No

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:03 am 

I'm 13, live in Sweden, I'm a student, and I don't have an eBay ID.
It's mostly a combination of solving and collecting. (Well, mostly solving.)
I started in fall '07
None.
5)How many puzzles are in your collection? Would you dare estimate how much it's worth?
I have currently 18 puzles... :roll:
I'll go with almost any twisty puzzles...
Don't have one.
I have no idea...
a) 2x2x2, b) 6x6x6, c) 7x7x7, d) Pyraminx crystal.
Math.
Not really.

Last edited by Chagi on Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:03 am 

Here's my $0.02:

39, Kierspe, Germany. Programmer. takrl or tkrwm

Currently it's solving and collecting, but I'd like to get ito building if time permits at some point.
I like the idea of speedcubing, although I've got no idea how to do it myself. If I'd seriously start practising again I could probably do a 3x3x3 in 50 seconds, but not much less.

Umm ... my first cube was 1983, but I can't remember if it was birthday, christmas or whatever. Might have been birthday, I remember getting an Alexander's Star for Christmas when I already had my first cube. Later on I got a Revenge 4x4x4. I was totally shattered when one of the center pieces broke, about six months after I'd got it. That put me off a bit, plus the fact that I'd seen a 5x5x5 in a toy shop and had no money to get it.
In the mid 90s I got access to the internet and somehow made contact to Christoph Bandelow, who kindly sold me some 4x4x4 pieces to fix my broken one. I haven't lost interest since then, although I'm not cubing on a day to day basis nowadays. I guess the new V-Cubes will keep me occupied for a while though :-)

About a hundred I think. But I can't really tell what it might be worth because I simply have no idea. I found an April fool's thread here which featured some Dino Cubes, and I had absolutely no idea what they were, other that they seemed very valuable. So I might have something that's really expensive nowadays without knowing it. For things I haven't got - I missed an original Dogic in the 90's when a german shop had just sold out of them a few days before I went.

Friends and family know that I'm into Rubik and puzzle stuff. I don't actively buy anything else than "twisty" puzzles, but I occasionaly get a wooden or other puzzle as present. I like those as well, but I don't hunt them actively. I also like "traditional" jigsaws and do them from time to time, but I don't really collect those.
Plus - I'm a big collector of Queen records & cds - that leaves very little money :-)

I guess my first 3x3x3 because this got me addicted. It makes that characteristic 'old days' crunching noise when it's turned. Plus, it's got teeth marks of my brother who tried to take off the stickers that way - boy was I angry :-)

See 5), I just wouldn't know.

a) 4x4x4 and 5x5x5 because I worked out a solution myself after knowhing how to do the 3x3x3.
b) I like the 'Minxes' and Dogics, plus "unusually cut" cubes like Skewb.
c) 3x3x3 - for sentimental reasons.
d) I haven't figured out Alexander's Star yet myself - but I haven't touched it for 20 years either.
e) Probably the V-Cubes 6 and 7 now.

Collecting (and listening to) mainly Queen records. Apart from that, making music (I play piano/keyboards), reading (mainly technical stuff and SciFi). Luckily, programming was a hobby 25 years ago, now I do it as a day job :)

I'd probably have the worst 'personal best' scores in this forum on any puzzle, if I would care to record them.

Cheers

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:09 am 

This has been here for at least 4 years and I haven't posted yet. Oh well, better late than never I guess.

Quote:

I'm an old hand to say the least. I got my first Rubik's cube when I was 11-you do the math. I'm an English teacher by day....
Quote:

I would have to say I'm a collector at heart. I have solved many of them, but life too often gets in the way. I have to carry at least one puzzle with me everywhere I go though or I don't feel normal. I can often be seen twisting something, or trying to remove a ring.
Quote:

I was asked to teach a class using binary arts puzzles to help some of my students at the time with critical thinking. I happened to be surfing the net and came across the old twisty megasite and remembered times past. I called my dad and asked him to go into the attic and dust off some of those boxes and send me my puzzles from years ago. I've been hooked again ever since.
Quote:

I'm not a builder at all. I made one magic 2x2 and it is impossible to mix up so I know I did something wrong.
Quote:

I am fairly certain that I have at least 600 puzzles of different types. I would hate to guess at the amount of money I have spent on it over the past 12 years or so. My co-workers have recently taken to turning off the computer if they see me on ebay or a puzzle sales site. They have decided I spend too much money on them. (Someone has to watch my wallet I guess.)
Quote:

Almost anything and everything. I have a special fondness for twisty puzzles though. They make up the greatest part of my collection.
Quote:

Tower of Babylon. This was the first puzzle I could mix up and solve by myself. It was given to me by my mom after I finally "solved" the Rubik's cube by taking it apart (she never knew). After that, each time I could solve a puzzle she bought me a new one.
Quote:

Probably my Chi Gung ball. I was told the other day there aren't that many that were made. Next to that...I'm still watching the prices, Dogic maybe, or the Warner Bros. Heads?
Quote:

Solving: Tower of Babylon. Appearance: the Puzzle Heads. I have 30 of them on my book shelf and they just look so cool. Feel: My first 3x3x3 For being almost 30 years old she still works wonderfully. Complexity: The K-brain (I know it's only a 2x2 but it is pure torture trying to put it back into shape when it gets messed up.) Other: My domino. I always wanted one when I was younger, and I was finally able to purchase one about 5 years ago for around $50.
Quote:

I read, and I study. I'm a professional student and have gone from one degree to another since sometime in the 1980's. I enjoy collecting pieces of paper with that gold sticker in the corner. I am never found without a book, and usually have 2 or 3 going at the same time.
Quote:

My other obsession is going to Disneyland. We live 15 minutes away by train, and I am over there at least 2x a week. When I found Rubik's cubes there, It was like I died and went to heaven.

Post subject: Chris W.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:49 pm 

Hello to all of you! My name's Chris and I'm glad to finally be a part of the forum.

1) I'm 35 years old (soon to be 36 in 5 days) and live in Avondale, AZ. I miss Chicago, though!
2, 3 and 4) I'm not a builder or modder. I simply bought a cheap 3x3 a year an a half ago, and I got hooked ever since. However, I've always enjoyed other kinds of puzzles while growing up (like wooden knots!)
5) I have 12 twisty-type puzzles, with my newest ones being the Square 1 and Pyraminx. The collection is probably worth (maybe) only about $200; to me, though, it's priceless! (even the Rubik's 5x5 that I have only for display because it explodes in a few turns!)
6) I don't seem to care for sliding 2-D puzzles, but I'm not completely averse to them, either.
7) No real sentiments, but I'm quite fond of one Rubik's 3x3 cube that I have that turns exceptionally well. If I give away any of my puzzles to family, it won't be that one!
8) All my puzzles are fairly new, so auction prices would be pretty low.
9) Fave puzzles:
a) Solving: the 4x4 eastsheen. The parities add to the challenge!
b) Appearance: the (soon to be mine!) 7x7 V-Cube. When scrambled, it just looks like a monster!
c) Feel: my aforementioned smooth-turning 3x3 Rubik's.
d) Complexity: The Gigaminx.
e) Other reasons: The Square 1, for all the neat shapes you can make with it!
10) I'm a music nut, especially hard rock and metal. I also like to compose music on occasion. I love photography, blogging and video blogging, rollerblading and reading.
11) Last but certainly not least, I've been married to a wonderful woman for over 6 years now, and she has no choice but to put up with my cubing hobby along with everything else. She's handling it very well, too!

See ya around the forums! Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:50 am 

29, Bournemouth in the UK, Company Director
Solving and building, but it's really the maths behind it that I find interesting. It's still the best physical representation of group theory out there.
Well I've been a big fan of the maths for ages, but only been cubing about 2 years
My first build was a 2x2x1 for my son. I've built an evil twin and I'm just building my second one. I'm also building a bump cube at the moment.
Lots - not sure offhand
I'm not really into any of the >6 sided puzzles ie the polyhedra. Just a taste thing I guess, but I like them to be cuboid, at least when solved
My speed 3x3. I don't actually solve it that fast, about 60-70s but that brews the perfect cuppa then it's bag out and in with the milk
Probably the vcube 7
a) 4x4
b) evil twin - so normal until scrambled.
c) speed 3x3
d) evil twin
e) 7x7 blows non-cubers minds
Southern Shaolin Kung Fu and playing Guitar
No, he who speaks, does not know. He who knows, does not speak - Lao Tsu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:22 pm 

HP :P

Last edited by Hunter Palshook on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:26 pm 

21, Columbus- Ohio, Student, lil_blimey

So far solving and collecting, but I have a couple of projects I want to start soon...

I've been solving for about 8 months. At school my girlfriend complained about being bored whenever my roommate and I played Halo, so as a gag, I got her a 3x3 for Christmas. A couple of weeks later, I picked it up and solved in a few hours. Thankfully, I've gotten a lot faster since then and have been adding new puzzles to my collection.

Nothing yet, but I'm going to start with a half-truncated cube in a few weeks and after that I have no idea.

3x3 Rubik's, Rubik's Revenge, ES 5x5, Skewb, Pyraminx. Probably worth somewhere in the neighborhood of my pokemon card collection and an unopened copy of ET: The Video Game for Atari 2600. Maybe a little more.

Haven't really come to any boundaries, other then monetary. From what I've seen, I'll probably be the last person on the planet to get a Gigaminx.

First cube. Nuff said.

See #5

a)ES 5x5... it feels so nice (b) 3x3, pop culture icon (c)5x5 (d) Not sure

I restore vintage British cars, especially Austin Minis. My dad and I have a '63 wagon and a '67 Cooper S. I also spend some time modifying my '90 VW GTi. I collect Star Wars toys (especially R2-D2s) and play guitar.

Not too much. I'm a math education student at Bowling Green State University here in Ohio.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:46 pm 

Age: 17 Location: Moving to Stuttgart, Germany Aug 20th Profession: Student

Currently, just solving and "collecting" if you can even call it that (more like acquiring). When I finally settle in after I move, I'll be modding. Already have a few ideas.

I started cubing last year, on a school trip to Spain. My friend brought his cube and I played around with it during our incredibly long bus rides. A few months after we got home, I bought a cube and have been addicted ever since. Now I have at least one of the 2x2-7x7s except for the 6x6 and a few non-cubic puzzles as well.

A tragic excuse for an extended 3x3x4 :lol:

15 unless I miscounted. It's not worth all that much, but the VCube7 definitely increases its total value.

While I have an ivory tower, I don't think I would want any more marble-based puzzles like the Hungarian Rings etc. I'm also not really interested in collector's cubes i.e. Star Wars 2x2, advertising puzzles. I like the puzzles, but I'm not someone who has to have all of them.

My first 3x3 :mrgreen: He's retired and will never be restickered haha.

VCube7. Don't have any real custom mods, so that's definitely the winner for now.

a)3x3x3
b)Ice Cube, but I really like how some of Meffert's puzzles look as well.
c)7x7x7 except for when it pinches your fingers if you're going too quickly and not being careful.
d)4x4 with it's parities and whatnot. I feel like the 6x6 would be almost overwhelming while the 4x4 is "just right".
e)Any custom mod. They each have their own good points, but they all display the creativity, hard work, and skill of their builders.

I am pretty much addicted to the internet, but other than that, I write short stories, like spoken word (but I don't perform it), and I'm trying to get into long distance running, but my legs aren't a big fan of that hobby. Rock climbing is swell, but I lived in Florida for the past three years and large rocks are in short supply there. I used to be on my high school's rowing crew, but stopped because moving on to varsity meant I would have to go to practice 6 days a week which was about 2 days too many for me :| Hopefully whichever college I go to will have an intramural crew team because it's cool.

I was born in Georgia, have gone to school in Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee, and will be moving to Stuttgart, Germany for my senior year. After that I'm going back to the US for college.I'm virtually obsessed with reality tv and watch Survivor, The Mole, Big Brother (US, Australia-RIP:(, and UK), The Amazing Race, and a few others that I'm too ashamed to list here :lol: Not really sure what else to say here. I talk to much. Hello. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:58 pm 

Here is little dextIr <3

19, Gjøvik - Norway, Student, dextiir

Its an combination of all, I speedsolve, collect, build and twist around - it's all good :P

I have been doing it for about 2 years. I got into this by buying a Rubiks Cube cuz I had a really long bus ride to work and school at the time AND you can say it got the ball rolin! :)

I have built a Half Turnc Cube and Cuboctahedron, working on Octahedron, giant 2x2x2, 4x4x4 Ball, and Professor Cuboctahedron.

I have more or less about 200++, I dont know how much it is worth, I dont want to know either...

I dont have any bounderies in the collection, but I dont like wooden puzzles and those boring IQ lose the rings and stuff, after you solved it you can always do it (like Rubiks Twist..)

Wich one if /fav... that is a hard one, but I guess my favorite is: The V-Cube 6, so many hates it and I love the little fella :D

Smart Alex, one of my DOGIC's or the sweet little Magic Domino in orginal box <3 :)

A: Solving ; Mefferts Megaminx. B: Appearance ; White Pyraminx Crystal C: Feel; Eastsheen 5x5x5 White with black stickers. D: Complexity: The Teraminx

I love to create 3D animations and work with computers. I also like to run around.

I love you

Alexander Kristoffersen

Last edited by dextir on Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:36 pm 

1) 16, Brigham city, UT.
2) building and solving
3) I've been cubing about 4 years
4) 3x3x3 siamese, 2x2x4, pillow cube, siamese 12,
5) around 30ish.. no idea of prices
6) pucks, pyramids, sliding, electronic, magics,
7) my siamese 3x3x3. It was the very first time i made a custom puzzle..
8) I don't use ebay, but maybe a 2 layer square one, or square-1-II
9) Square one. as long as it moves smoothly..
10) video games and computer programming.
11) not really, i've won guitar hero tournaments so i can play that.. I LOVE TWISTY PUZZLES!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:51 pm 

17, Outside of Cincinnati OH, (don't have my own...i use my dad's)

My main interest is certainly solving at this point, but building is quickly going to overcome solving in this category. I'm getting ready to order my new 3x3 and thus have a rubik's brand open to make into a half-truncated cube. And i have about 5-10 other shape modifications i want to try out(including some i have never seen before). I'm excited to start building (soon! As soon as my things arrive!)

Since i'm fairly young i never really dropped out of touch with the field because honestly, i was never really connected. I learned to solve the cube about halfway through sophomore year(i was 15 at the time) and solved for a while...never really concentrating on speed...i just liked to solve. Kinda stopped for a few months but as soon as junior year started i got back into it and now i'm here and ready to start my senior year.

I haven't built any yet, but as i mentioned i have quite a few ideas that i'd like to build.

I have four puzzles: a Rubik's 3x3, a white eastsheen 4x4, a black eastsheen 5x5, and a stickered megaminx which recently was dropped and broke :(. Fortunately, it was only three arms and i still have the screws and springs, so i should be able to mold new parts and re-assemble the puzzle. I love that thing.

As of now, i'm just a twisty puzzler. Not a fan of sliding puzzles, but i love playing with all of my cubes and sometimes taking apart the eastsheens, just for fun. The mechanisms fascinate me.

I'd say my first 3x3 that i got from my dad...unfortunately, i lost it at school. It was a really crappy cube but i loved it since it was my dad's.

Probably the eastsheen 5x5. Although any custom puzzle i'm planning on building will be worth more when completed.

a) 5x5. It's a challenge but it's such an impressive feat that gets a bit of positive attention from anyone even remotely interested.
b) Megaminx. I love the tiled appearance and i'm ordering mefferts tiles for my stickered minx because they look so nice.
c) Probably my 4x4. I have loosened it just enough so that it's extremely quick but doesn't feel loose or like it'll fall apart.
d) definitely the Square-1, even though i don't own one. My friend's is so fun to play with and it just blows me away with how a few limitations and shape changes can exponentially increase the difficulty of a puzzle
e) I'm in awe at the v-cubes. They're such great looking puzzles that one day i hope to own...at least the 6 and 7.

Music and music games(especially rock band, drums mostly. Guitar Hero isn't really my friend anymore...i'll leave it at that). Anything that is even remotely connected to rhythm is fun. I also develop small apps for personal use(in java...learned in AP Computer Science last year and in an intro course sophomore year). I used to build K'Nex and actually built a 20 foot replica of Kingda Ka(which you can see here if you are so inclined) as one of my many coaster related projects. I have about 30,000-35,000 pieces total probably.

That i have what i consider to be a mild case of OCD. Also, i have a phobia of neck-touching. Don't laugh, i'm serious. I cringe and look away when somebody is touching their neck or someone else's neck, and any time someone touches mine, especially the throat, i either flip out or just curl up and stop interacting for a few minutes. It's scary stuff! I also am a forumite..this is my 4th forum i have registered at and i'm active in all four. I'm actually a moderator at the first forum i registered at.

-CC10

Best solve: 28.84s

SSCoasters.net - the biggest K'Nex roller coaster website on the planet
KnexForum.com - the best forum for everything else K'Nex

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:05 pm 

19, New Zealand, Student
Speedsolving is main, but also collect and build.
Started speedsolving Jan 2008.
I have built a slim tower, just finishing a fishers cube, and have some designs in progress in cad.
50-60 puzzles.
No real boundaries, just whatever i like.
Slim tower, its my first build.
V-cube7
a)5x5
b)white pyraminx crystal with stickers
Computers and programming. I do freelance webdesign. Know a bit of php, java, c#.
Cars and motorsport, drag racing mainly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:42 pm 

Hello all, I'm new here, and I figure it'd be best to start off by introducing myself in this thread.

1) I'm 22 years old and I live in New York (the state, not the city!). On eBay I go by Bosuonparedo.
2) My main interests in twisty puzzles are solving and collecting.
3) I started collecting just recently, after ordering the 3-pack on Meffert's and a Megaminx off eBay (it was a crummy cheap Chinese one, and I have since purchased a Speed 'Minx from PUZL). I had always owned a Rubik's Cube and I used to have a Square-1, but I could never solve them. Then, when the Meffert's puzzles arrived, I was able to teach myself how to solve the Skewb, and that spurred me on to learn other puzzles as well!
4) I have not built any custom puzzles. However, I have a few sticker variations that I hope to try out soon.
5) Right now I own 15 "strictly" twisty puzzles, as well as some currently unassembled DIY kits, some Cmetrick puzzles, a Rubik's Magic, and a Cubigami-7. The twisty puzzles alone probably are worth $300 or so, although I have more coming in the mail to add to that!
6) I try to collect puzzles which a) I don't have, b) I can afford, and c) that look neat or that feel especially satisfying to twist.
7) Hmm, that's a tough call. Probably the Skewb since it was the puzzle that got me going.
8) Probably my Pyraminx Crystal. However, I have placed an order through Bedardpuzzles for a Master Cuboctahedron, which will likely supersede that.
9) Favorite solve: Megaminx/Pyraminx Crystal. Favorite looks: Megaminx/Pyraminx Crystal. Feel: Skewb Ultimate/NGP. Favorite for complexity: Megaminx. Favorite for other reasons: Rainbow Cube.
10) My other hobbies include a few different board games and other non-twisty puzzles. I especially like pencil puzzles. I also like to play video games, especially music games and dance games.
11) I like chocolate. A lot.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:41 am 

Been here for years; thought I should do one of these.

21, manchester, medical student, nick57high

In the past, at some point, each has been my main interest. At the moment its solving my collected puzzles :)

Been cubing for about 6 years, after being introduced to the cube by a couple of teachers at school.

I have built a few siamese puzzles, 'evil twin'-like puzzles, and some sticker variations. No plans for future.

Wouldn't like to think...I have, probably, a couple of hundred puzzles.

I'm a twisty-puzzle purist, with some bally puzzles too.

My siamese 3x3..first puzzle i built.

Hmm not sure, maybe my sealed roundy.

a)3x3x3
b)7x7x7 - its a beast!
c)7x7x7
d)square-1
e)domino - It took me so long to find one that its now special.

Photography, travelling, music.

www.nickylewis.co.uk 8-)

www.nickylewis.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:40 pm 

1) 15, U.S.A, Student

2)Solving and building

3)One and a half years

4) 2x2x3, siamese cube, half truncated cube, A Secret in progress

5) 14, probably $200, not including custom puzles

6) None

7) my first 3x3

8)2x2x3 if i were to sell it

9) What is your favourite puzzle overall for:
a) solving- Five color Turnstile
b) appearance- 2x2x3
c) feel- Magic
d) complexity- UFO

10) No, I have no life

11) No

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:51 pm 

13, GB Wisconsin, n/a

It was mainly solving, but now I build a lot and am going to start molding and casting at some point.

I have been cubing since January 2005.

I've built a column cube, crystal cube, fisher cube, mini siamese, 2x2x3, 1x1x2, and 3x3x2.

34 puzzles, no idea how much it's worth.

I try to stick with cubes, I love shape-changers and cuboids, and I really try to avoid dodecahedrons (I don't really like minxes.)

I have no idea.

Probably my magic octahedron.

a) 5x5x5
b) column cube
c) fisher cube
d) square-1
e) 2x2x3, looks so simple and yet it is not.

Piano, and every other instrument known to mankind. In 4th grade I played trumpet and clarinet, in 5th grade I played tuba and flute, in 6th I played tuba and percussion, in 7th I played tuba and percussion, now in 8th/9th (I'm doing both) I'm playing percussion and french horn.

If you didn't notice above, I am only 13, but am going to be in pre-calc this year, and by my sophomore year the high school will have no more math classes for me to take!

Last edited by ejisfun on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:00 pm 

Been here for awhile, so I figure it's time to settle in. Next step: avatar!

born Aug 1969, Eastern PA, Network Systems Engineer (specialize in core infrastructure and security), ebay id flambore

yes.

I started when they were big back in the 80's. I had about 20 of them back then, and kept them in storage for a long time. Not too long ago- maybe a year or so, I was looking for something, and came across the boxes. My kids were fascinated, so I got them out and started playing. I found a video on youtube on how to do LbL solving, and I was hooked. Since then, I have learned to solve most anything I can get my hands on. I went a little crazy for awhile, buying up anything I could get my hands on, but lately I have been spending my money on building supplies.

built: half-truncated cube, half-truncated keychain, fishers cube, cuboctahedron, ufo, fully truncated cube, barrel, 12-sided barrel (square-1 mod), diamond cube, house, 1x1, partially truncated cube, starburst cube.
in progress: square-2, trajber's octagon, mastermorphix, crystal (transparent) pyraminx crystal, something I will call a confused ufo, and something my kids call the star barrel.

About 150-160. No idea what it's worth. Enough for my wife to be eyeing the shelves up, and not enough for me to want to part with it.

Mostly collect twisty puzzles. I have a few 3-d assembly puzzles. I don't really collect sticker variations of 3x3's anymore unless they're really interesting to me. I'm more interested in different mechanisms. I also recently started collecting custom puzzles.

My calendar cube. It's my very first Rubik's cube from back in the 80's with the core replaced, and revived with stickers. I use it every day now that it has these stickers.

No idea, but none are worth enough to make anyone drool.

solving: 3x3, megaminx, 4x4
appearance: meffert's megaminx, transparent pyraminx with chrome CS stickers, and transparent 4x4.
feel: a smoooth speed cube
complexity: probably any of the new higher-order puzzles out there (don't have any of them) like the 7x7, 6x6, and some of Drewseph's or the.drizzle's puzzles.
other: most of what's posted on the builders forum here. I love seeing new ideas, new puzzles, and even if they're not perfect, it's great to see people making their own puzzles.

family: Wife, son (11), daughter (10). This is my #1 focus. Everything else is secondary.
Karate: brown belt in Isshin-ryu. hopefully I will be up for my black belt test by November.
Astronomy/astrophotography: I have a small home observatory: http://www.ovobservatory.com
pez collecting: about 200 different pez dispensers
beer cans: being a child of the 80's, I collected beer cans. I now have about 2000 different cans.
guitar/drums: been playing guitar since I was 16. I also play drums and started learning keyboard.
internet: I spend a lot of time online- job-related and otherwise. I run an e/n site called flambore.com

Too many hobbies, too little time.

The above info kinda covers most of it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:20 pm 

1) I am 13 In Saskatchewan, Canada and am a student.
2) My favorite thing about puzzles is speedsolving, but I hope to soon try building.
3) I have been speedsolving since January of this year so that means i've been speedsolving for...9 months
4) N/A
5) About 12 and its worth about $400 (just a guess, and most of that is the v-cube 6 and 7)
6) I'm not really sure how I would define the boundaries of my collection, because I always want more and different things.
7)My megaminx, because when I saw a video of somebody solving one, it interested me enough to learn how to solve a 3x3
8) V-cube 7
9) What I look for the most of all is feel, I love the feel of a very fast and smooth puzzle, like my broken in and lubed ES 2x2.
10) Football, Skiing, Gaming, and I want to learn some sort of instrument
11) There isn't much else that I can think of right now, but I hope to stay active here for awhile.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:54 am 

Profession: AT&T Engineer

My main interest is in solving puzzles. I may start building later, I'm very curious and impressed with the builds I'm seeing here.

I just recently discovered the joy of working twisty puzzles out about 4 weeks ago. I came down with a bad case of the flu and was laying in bed bored out of my mind. I noticed an old Rubik's cube on a shelf and though back to times when I was younger. I decided to learn too solve it once and for all. I managed to teach myself all but the last corner orientation moves in that day. Since then I have been hooked.

So far my collection consist of: 3x3x3, 4x4x4, 5x5x5, Square-1, I have ordered, but not yet received: Pyraminx, Megaminx, and V-Cube 7.

My collection may not be limited by any single group of twisty puzzles. I love them all. The only limit, with a little luck, will be quality. Nothing worse than a cheap puzzle that falls apart in a day.

So far my 5x5x5 is my favorite. That is very likely to change considering I have a megaminx and V-cube in the mail.

I have no idea. Prob the V-cube. But I don't plan on selling any of my puzzles. Perhaps later down the road if I start building puzzles, I might sell a few. But that is so far in the future right now its not really worth mentioning.

My favorite puzzle overall, and keep in mind this will likely soon change, is my 5x5x5. Its an Eastsheen with standard colors on it. I've heard many people complain about Eastsheen puzzles, but I've had nothing but good luck with mine. Perhaps I got lucky. Its never popped or jammed up, and turns like butter. Of course I'm only had it about 3 weeks now. But I solve it very often. Usually at least 3 times a day just to show co-workers than it can be done.

I do have other hobbies too. Or labors of love more-or-less. I play guitar in a hard rock band that performs all over the U.S. The name of the band is Stitch Rivet.

That about sums up the "all about me" addition to this thread. I'm the new guy today. Looking forward to hanging out.

Chadwick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:10 am 

Hi everyone!
I'm 16 years old, live in Holland in Spijkenisse (that's somewhere around Rotterdam) am still in high school, and I rather not spill my eBay ID.
2) Is your main twisty puzzles interest solving, collecting, building, or something else?Collecting and solving, and I'm going to build some puzzles too in the future.
3) How long have you been doing the above?
Just for two years. there were always two unsolved rubik's cubes in my fathers puzzle vitrine, which contains wooden puzzles, tangram etc. One day I just picked one of the cubes, and the incomplete solution booklet (a shame) and solved it. Then for my fifteenth birthday my father gave me the 2x2x2, 4x4x4 and 5x5x5, and a keychain cube, which I was able to solve by myself, and the collecting had begun!
I now own 27 puzzles, and have 3 coming from ebay shopping. all of them were probably worth about 500 euros. :cry:
I prefer the real twistypuzzles, so nxnxn cubes, skewb etc. I don't own folding puzzles and just one sliding piece puzzle, the babylon tower, and a rubik's Twist, but the rest is all twisty :D
that has to be the V-cube 7. It's my hardest, most expensive, best looking, longest awaited puzzle with the coolest mechanism of them all! I don't think anyone would disagree...
my newest one: a domino cube, although I believe I bought it for a very low price, if you look at the price list on this website.
The V-cube 7, but after that:
a) My 3x3x3 speedcube from puzl.co.uk (personal record:29,2s)
b) V-cube 6
c) speedcube
d)V-cube 6
e) most hated: square-1, the only puzzle I own I never solved
I play basketball and love good movies
I'm going to do my graduation report on rubik-like puzzles. I'm currently teaching my maths teacher how to solve a 3x3x3.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:26 am 

17 Years old, I come from Holland and I work at a supermarket :D ebay ID = Twistmepuzzle
All of them :D
about 6 months now :D
2x2x6 square-3 octagon and hexagonal dypiramid :D
about 40 now, its worth about 600 dollars
I dont get like special cubes with a sort of brand on it, I only have a few 3x3's I just dont need more
6x6 :D its almost clickless now
7x7
A)5x5
B) Pyraminx Crystal
C)Skewb
D)Alexander star
E)3x3
Climbing and skieing :D
I finally joined TP forum and I love it so far :D

Last edited by Sven on Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:27 am 

Im a 19 year old microcomputer student that lives in umeĂĄ a town in northern sweden.

i have a little collection but i cant say that i am a collector. Haven't realy started to get down to the realy low times on the rubiks cube. as for puzzle building i have some ideas i would like to realize, haven't started any project yet due to lack of equipment and money.

Literally i grew up with a rubiks cube in my hand. My dad had a little collection of cubes, 3x3x3 diamond cube, and a keychain cube. first time i was able to solve them was around the age of 10 after that i forgot about them because my interest in computers grew and i forgot the solution. about 2 years ago i stumbled upon the cube again and i decided to relearn how to solve it.
this summer i bought a 4x4x4 and a 5x5x5 to try out. i also found this site and the forums and all the custom puzzles in it. I got interested in a second. So here i am trying to figure out something original to build.

non so far but i will in a near future. I have a prototype i would like to share when it gets to its final stage.

3 3x3x3, diamond cube, ES 2x2x2, Rubiks 4x4x4 and 5x5x5 and 2 keychain 3x3x3. Not a big collection but it is a good start.

im trying to get all the logical puzzles i can come over.

i like my 5x5x5 the most right now it poses the most challenge for me.

Dont use eBay yet. i will get one soon i promise!

I realy love the look of Drewseph's Teraminx, its so huge and complex my goal is to build one one day ;P

CAD, digital art, lego and music! That about it everyone should know about all of them.

Dont make me do this again! in a year or two :P

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:30 pm 

1) 23 yo, Brazil, SĂŁo Paulo, programmer
2) Interested in solving, collecting, building, and developing games
3) I started wanting to solve rubik's more than ten years ago... three years ago I tried once and now I saw the new "Mirror Blocks" and I want to actually learn it.
4) By now I'm programming a virtual rubiks cube. I plan to make "image templates" for cubes.
5) I have two by now (simple ones), I'll make customized cubes, by now I have about five ideas.
6) By now I'm just interested in rubik's ones (3x3x3).
7) no sentimental favourite by now. But all the customized ones will be.
8) not selling by now
9) What is your favourite puzzle overall for: appearance, mechanics and originality
10) I'm also interested in zippos, piano and aikido
11) no

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:37 pm 

25, Warner Robins, GA, ERS at Geico.

I love to solve. I'm trying to start collecting more puzzles though (just for playing with though...not for the shelf). I have made a Square-2 and a Kilominx, and I'm getting more into designing. I actually just love to look at incredible puzzles as well. When I see the Gigaminx, Teraminx, Brilicube, etc. I just get excited about puzzles even more.

I got my first Rubik's cube when I was 9 and solved it about two months later. I didn't have any instructions so I just kept at it and came up with a method that worked for me...in fact it's still the method I use today. I'll share it sometime. I stopped cubing when I was 11 or 12 to focus more on sports. When I was 20 I saw my old Rubik's Cube in a box of junk and much to my surprise I could still solve it (I consider my method very easy to remember). I've been cubing ever since.

I've only built a Square-2 and a Kilominx, but I'm working on a Dino (custom core), Dinominx, Square-3 (not this or this), and a SuperX.

I have 34 puzzles (4 Rubik's Professors, 4 Rubik's Cubes, 3 Megaminxes, 3 Rubik's Revenges, 2 Pyraminxes, 2 Square-1s, 2 Super Square-1's, 1 Floppy Cube, 1 Georgia Bulldogs Keychain Cube, 1 Holey Megaminx, 1 Kilominx, 1 Pillowed Mastermorphix, 1 Pyramorphix, 1 Rubik's Ice Cube, 1 Skewb, 1 Skewb Ultimate, 1 Square-2, 1 V-Cube 5, 1 V-Cube 6, 1 V-Cube 7, and 1 Void Cube). The value of all my puzzles would probably be somewhere around $600.

I just collect what I like. If it's unique, looks good, or presents a new challenge then I'll consider buying it. Symmetry is also a factor. I'm not the biggest fan of asymmetrical puzzles, however, if I saw one that gave me that instant feeling of excitement then I would probably get it. Also, I do not like folding puzzles in the least.

7) Which one of your puzzles is the sentimental favorite and why?
Well, I love my Square-2 and Kilominx...I made them so they're special to me, however, for some reason I really love my Pyraminx. I've loved the Pyraminx from the first time I ever saw it...I'm not sure why.

I guess the Kilominx or V-Cube 7.

9) What is your favorite puzzle overall for: a) solving, b) appearance, c) feel, d) complexity, e) other reasons.
a) Square-1 (It presents several different challenges in every solve. That is what a solve is all about.)
b) V-Cube 7 (It just looks...beautiful.)
c) Megaminx (It's the perfect shape and size.)
d) Pillowed Mastermorphix (I've solved every puzzle I've ever tried, but this one gives me the most trouble.)
e) Pyraminx (There's just something about it. I seriously can't explain it.)

I am absolutely obsessed with sports. I was on the following varsity squads in high school: soccer, football, basketball, tennis, and golf. Football, golf, and tennis are my passions now. I play tennis every single day after work and play golf every weekend. I could play, watch, or talk about sports all day. I cube when I get frustrated during a game...it calms me down and gets me back in the zone.

I've been married for almost four years and have three dogs (two English Mastiffs and one Boxer/Mastiff Mix). My wife and I are also expecting our first child, a son, in October. I've always been told by everyone that meets me that I seem much older than I am. Not only do I look older but I've done a lot more in my life than most around my age. I owned and sold a web design company when I was only 20. I bought a house and two cars with that money and kept some in savings. I like to achieve and then set new goals. That's probably the competitor in me...I'm never satisfied.

I guess that's me in a nutshell. Thanks.

- Billy

Last edited by lonogod on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:50 am, edited 8 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:43 pm 

43, A Coruña-Spain,Turner-Miller, YoChino

Collecting and Building

In the 80's I have several cubes, but I have not returned to meet with them until about 4 months, and since then collect and build mods

I have built a 3x3 Half-Truncated, a 3x3 Bandaged, a 3x3 Diabolo Barrel, a 3x3 Psico Cube, a 2x2 Dodecahedron and a Mastermorphix.
I am now constructing a 3x3 Trajber's Octahedron and I have some ideas in my head

I have now only 22 puzzles

Just collect puzzles that attract me visually, with an acceptable degree of difficulty or some interesting mods

The Psico Cube for the time and labor employees, and also because I like his final appearance

Square-1

Si, marquetry and billiards

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:41 pm 

First of All, thanks for posting such cool topic, Sandy!

Born May 9th, 1995, so currently 13. Born in South FL, USA. eBay ID - hbman95

I solve and have a pretty big collection. I am getting my times down, because, frankly, they aren't looking too good. I am just now getting into puzzle building as well.

Well, I got into puzzles and such about a year and a half ago, when a fellow classmate brought in a Straight up Rubik's Cube. I was addicted! I learned to solve over the course of a month... I could do it in about 5-10 minutes, but as I got faster (and better than the original student who brought one in) my interest grew! I didn't get any new puzzles until about 4 months ago, getting a 15 puzzle, a Rubik's magic, and an Eastsheen set (2x2x2, 4x4x4, and 5x5x5). I now have a collection of about 32+ Puzzles, including V-Cubes, 2 Pyraminx Crystals, and 2 "Megaminxies".

I have built only a Siamese 3x3x3, but am going to start building maybe a 3x2x2 when I have some $$$! :wink:

Like I said, I am just getting into building

I have 33 Puzzles in my collection, and counting! Probably pushing $1000+. I mean, take in to consideration... V-Cube 6 and 7 (Roughly $125), 2 Pyraminx Crystals ($75 Each), 2 megaminx ($60 Total) and a bunch more! :twisted: Give me some $$$, and look at me go!

I avidly collect anything "twisty"... i.e. Any and all Cubes, Pyraminx, Pyraminx Crystals, Megaminx, Skewbs... All

I like spherical puzzles, but only have a Rubik's World 2x2x2...

I am unsure about shape changers though... All I have in this department, though is a Square 1 and 2 Bump Cubes from Hidetoshi takeji that I am waiting for... (THANKS SO MUCH, HIDETOSHI, BTW! :mrgreen:)

My most sentimental favorite, would have to be my first Rubik's Cube. It was the first puzzle I had ever seen or even tried! I love it! :roll: I know everyone says that though...

Either my V-Cubes or Pyraminx Crystals... But I am not parting with these anytime soon! :lol:

a) Solving wise would be a three-way tie between the 3x3x3, Pyraminx Crystal, and Megaminx
b) The V-Cube 7 and Pyraminx Crystal are both SO Daunting, so they take the cake!
c) First Rubik's Cube is so solid... Just love it! Honestly, Never, ever, popped once!
d) I have yet to solve the V-7, V-6, or Square-1 (Colors... I CAN get it back into shape), so they are the most complex I have.
e) Babylon Tower, It was my first non-cube puzzle... Love solving it too!

Sports... Baseball and Football, mostly.

AP classes and Honors, as well... *NERD* LoL

Thanks for Reading,

Harris

Anyone can solve a puzzle. The real skill comes in when it breaks and you have to put it back together.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:47 pm 

16, Idaho, Computer Science student, none atm

I enjoy solving new and different puzzles, which sparked my interest in building. Currently, I've been experimenting with non-static bandaging on the 3x3x3, but I have a couple ideas for other builds.

I started cubing in the summer of 2007, at a summer camp where a friend of mine had a cube that she was solving occasionally. I'd never seen anyone solve a cube before, and I kind of went cube-crazy. By the end of the 3 week summer camp, I was solving with an intuitive Petrus F2L at around 1:20 on average, and I would do at least a hundred solves a day. After the camp ended, I promptly broke my wrist, and couldn't cube for a month :(

About 6 months later, my parents got me a 4x4x4 for Christmas, and I didn't really have a clue as to how to solve it. I'd read little bits about it online before, but all I really remembered was something about solving the centers and matching the edges. I got the centers, and matched 10 of the 12 edge pairs, but ended up with almost the entire thing solved, except for a handful of LL pieces. It drove me up the wall, and I eventually looked up an edge-pairing algorithm, and thought I could solve it. Ironically, I got both parity errors :D

Finished builds:
Siamese 3x3x3 (on a 1x1x3 intersection) - This wasn't built very well, and it still falls apart occasionally.
2x2x6 (Ton's method) - This wasn't built very well either, and it pops occasionally, but I'm planning on fixing this.
Fused Cubes - I made this out of a couple random cubes that some company was giving away as a promotional. The cubes themselves were pretty bad, but given the poor starting materials, I think this came out well.

In-progress builds:
Paper 3x3x3 - This is almost done, I just have to rebuild the core. Not likely to be finished soon, since I don't really enjoy building paper cubes. When it's done, I'm going to paint it to look like a Weighted Companion cube, and then I'm going to burn it :twisted:
Wall-E cube - I was inspired by the one that premiered on this forum, and I'm building mine a lot differently. It's probably not going to be as clean of a build, since I'm making most of the non-functional parts (like the arms and such) out of random stuff from my workbench, but I'm trying to make the arms move from cubie to cubie with slider tracks.
Holidays cube - This is to test a bandage idea. Each face has a particular holiday as its theme. On two faces, I have an "arm" that spins to block a certain layer. Also, some of the corners have stuff stuck to them to prevent the "arm" from spinning.

Collection size: Not very large. Probably about 7-8 puzzles right now. I'm hoping to get a square-1 at some point. Value, maybe 30 bucks on eBay :mrgreen:

I collect anything that looks fun and/or annoying to solve, or very beautiful. I tend to avoid "linear solution puzzles", where the solution is exactly the same each time (such as The Brain, or any take-apart puzzles).

I don't really know. My first good speedcube blew up a while back, and I've been using some of the parts for random builds here and there, so I guess I'm not particularly sentimental about my puzzles :oops:

Probably my Eastsheen 5x5x5 :lol:

3x3x3 cube forever!! :D

I started learning to play the guitar a few months ago, and I really enjoy it! I also like camping, especially in winter when there's enough snow to snowshoe into some really remote place :)

The cake is a lie. :mrgreen:

Post subject: New Member: Matthijs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:25 pm 

Need to update this...

Last edited by Matthijs on Mon May 02, 2011 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:52 pm 

Hey, I'm Paul Wozniak, 21 years old, college student in NYC. My puzzling started when I stumbled upon an old Rubik's cube that belonged to my girlfriend's brother. I asked to borrow it and got hooked. That was in January, 10 months ago. Ever since, I've bought more cubes, different kinds of puzzles and even built a few mods. My life has been consumed by puzzles as I am very impatient and need to be doing something at all times. Puzzles are perfect for long subway rides, while waiting for people, and just in general when there is nothing better to do. My focus is not speedsolving, although I do enjoy it and I am trying to beat my record time of around 30 seconds for the 3x3. I've started a modest collection, and want to see it expand. However, one way in which I want it to grow is by making my own! I get incredible satisfaction out of building and completing things and it fuels my hobby to create new puzzles. I've built the "mandatory" beginner mod, the half-truncated cube, and am currently working on an original that I thought of in my half-sleep. After a few weeks of drafting I discovered that it is very similar to Trajber's Octahedron, except the bottom layer extends to create a pyramid instead of shrinking back into a diamond shape. This is the first time I'm molding and casting my own pieces, and so far things are much more difficult than I had expected them to be! I'll post photos soon.

At first, I was only interested in twisty puzzles (Although I do believe that term is a bit broad. I mean mainly Rubik's types-- skewbs, pyraminxes, and the like, not puzzles like Rubik's magic, or Hungarian rings.) But now I've developed strong cravings for other types of puzzles as well. Anything really. I've actually made a list of "non-rubik-type-puzzles" that I want and it includes whip-its and Hungarian rings as well as many others.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:17 pm 

Hello, I have just joined the forum. I am so excited to be a part of this wonderful community and would like to introduce myself. Well, here it goes:

1) I am 15 years old. I am currently attending school at Conestoga High. I use my Mom's eBay ID. If you would like to know what it is, please PM me.

2) My main interest is building puzzles and speed solving. I am not that great at either of them, but I enjoy doing them so much.

3) I became interested in twisty puzzles about 10 1/2 months ago. I have always played with a Rubik's Cube at my grandparents house, but just this past Christmas I picked it up and was determined to solve it. I found a solution on the internet. I practiced the algorithms constantly for about 12 hours. Eventually on my seventh or so try, I solved it. Ever since that one solve I have been hooked.

4) So far I have only successfully built one puzzle, although I have attempted about 20 other puzzles. My first successful build was a Draken. I am currently building a Half-Truncated Cube, and a Pyramorphix Stern.

5) I believe I have about 30 puzzles in my collection. I do not own anything too special. No Greenhill or Fisher masterpieces in my collection! :wink: I would estimate my puzzle collection as being worth around $200.

6) I am not much of a collector, but I have always had a weak spot for Megaminxes.

7) My sentimental favorite puzzle is my Grandfather's Rubik's Cube. It was the first Rubik's Cube I ever played with, and also the first one I had ever solved. He gave it to me for my birthday, and I will never get rid of it.

8) My most valuable twisty puzzle, is probably my tiled Meffert's Magaminx.

9) a) 3x3x3
b) Meffert's Megaminx
c) Eastsheen 2x2x2
d) Magic
e) ?

10) I don't have any other hobbies, but I do enjoy playing video games.

11) No :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:59 pm 

I am 14 years old, going on 15 nex month, im a student, and my ebay id is arcrobe, aswell as my youtube name

i do mostly puzzle building, but i do like to just admire the machanics, and beauty of many cubes

ive been interested in puzzles for about a year now

heres the lise
1.2x2x4
2.half truncated cube
3.capsule cube
4.2x2x3
5.2x2x1
6.3x3x2
7.1x2x3
8.trajbers octahedron
9.mastermorphinx
10.dino cube
11.lighthouse cube
12.3x3x4

but i only am on the third one right now, hpefully i can get those done before 2010

only 12 right now, im not so much into colecting genuin cubes,but i am trying to get a spindel domino

6) How would you define the "boundaries" of your collection? In other words, which types of puzzles do you collect, and which
puzzles do you avoid?

i like cubic puzzles, and cubes with different amounts of sides such as the pyraminx, megaminx, and rainbow cube. i hate tiles, thats the only thing keeping me away form the pyraminx crystal

my first 3x3x3 that my sister had bought me for my birthday 8 years ago

probably my 2x2x4

a)megaminx
b)pyraminx
c)ES 5x5 (its so smooth)
d)1x2x3 (its so simple, yest creative)
e)drewsephs dino rombic decahedron

yes, i am very into skateboarding. my best trick is a varial kickflip(most of you wont understand that)

no other than school, cubes, and skating theres not much else in my life, exept my girlfriend :oops:

Last edited by Mike on Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:06 pm 

Hey guys, I'm new on the forums so I thought that I'd introduce myself. Hope that I can contribute. :)

) Brandon Devereaux, Douglasville, GA
2) As far as twisty puzzles go, I like everything about them: solving, building, and collecting
3) I got started solving about 2 years ago and went to my first competition this past summer: US Nationals 2008. I started building about 5 months ago.
4) To date, I have built ( in order) a Fisher's cube, a 3x3 rhombic dodecahedron, a Trajber's octahedron, and a 2x2x3.
5) I have about 10 puzzles in my collection right now: 2 3x3's (type A diy's), a siamese cube, a 4x4, a magic, my builds mentioned above, a gordian's knot, and some off brand cube.
6) Right now, i'm pretty 3x3 focused but I would like to get a lot more.
7) My favorite puzzle right now is probably my trajber's octahedron because I put so much work into it.
8) Again, I think my Trajber's octahedron would go for the most on ebay because it is a simple, yet difficult mod to make completely by hand.
9) At the time, my favorite puzzle for solving is probably my 4x4 because I've been getting a lot faster at it.
10) Other than cubing, I play tennis, hang out with friends and I am in the process of trying to get into college right now.

4x4 - 1:56
Magic - 2.03 (Not that fast yet)

My youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/bdizzle1391

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:47 am 

Hi everyone,
I thought this would be a good place to start off. It is a pleasure joining the forum and look forward to getting to know you all in the near future.

28, Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada, kylerv333

Solving and Building

I had a 3x3 Rubik's when I was boy and a Rubik's snake. I lost touch until about a year ago and I started cubing when I was home with my son when I was on parental leave when he was a baby.

Built
1x1x1 :D
2x2x2 Half Truncated Cube
3x3x5 Extended Cube
3x3x5 Mini-Extended Cube
3x3x3 Fused Cube
3x3x3 Siamese Cube
4 Color Baby Face
3x3x3 Half-Truncated Cube
Dragon's Tear
Fisher Cube
4 Diamonds Cube
Master Cuboctahedron
4x4x4 X-Cube
4x4x4 Edges Only Cube
3x3x3 Extended Half-Truncated Cube
4x4x4 Rhombic Dodecahedron

Current Projects

Coming Soon

25, Maybe about $400 :?

I mostly collect twisty puzzles, but I am not much of a collector.

My Eastsheen 2x2 because I will never forget the day my little boy picked it up and sat on the couch with me and twisted puzzles together for the first time.

Ummm...probably my 4x4x4 Edges only cube (The 4x4x4 Rhombic was already sold)

Oh man, so many great ones but here goes:
a) Tie-5x5x5 Eastsheen + 3x3x3
b) Axis Cube (saw for the first time on the forum recently- a thing of beauty)
c) megaminx
d) anything that changes shape and it is your first solve

I like making things with leather.

I coach Short Track Speed Skating

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:01 pm 

This is my first post ever :)

29; Los Angeles CA; IT, problem solver =) ; MaCheezm0

Mostly solving, but I do like to collect as budget permits.

I started learning the 3x3 in 2002. Then I wanted to take it a step further and got the Prof.Cube Limited Edition 5x5 from Mefferts in 2003 and I just kept buying puzzles from then on.

I built the triamese puzzles in my collection and extended cubes too. No projects at the moment

Here's my collection
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1up/sets/7 ... 856559529/
I don't know how much my collection is worth.

I usually would get twisty puzzles.

My first Prof.Cube Limited Edition from Mefferts because it was the first non 3x3 cube I got in 2003. I remember when I got it and took it out of the packaging box and I was shocked how complex it was. I've super glued numerous tiles on that thing cause they keep falling out, it's like my baby.

Whichever the one that isn't being produced at the moment :)

a) extended 3x3x5
b) Dogic 1, 12 color
c) v-cube 7
d) v-cube 7

Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, any outdoor activity.

More to come :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:25 am 

(1) Age, location, profession, eBay ID?
18, Saginaw MI, Computer Engineering Student, NA

At first I only started solving, but the more I saw how amazing some puzzles were I started getting into collecting. Unfortunately being a student, I don't have much money so I have only a few good puzzles, but hopefully that will change around christmas :wink:

I haven't been collecting long at all, but I picked up my first rubik's cube about a year ago and have been hooked since.

I just started working on a fisher cube, but as of right now...none

Like I said, not many. Unfortunately I can guess and I would say around $100USD

I like to strictly stick to twisty puzzles, and even then only mass produced or WELL known puzzles. If I don't put any boundries, I'll go way too far :roll:

Probably my first 3x3x3, we've been through a lot. Stickers come and gone, paint sprayed and scratched, and finally she got some well earned wooden tiles I made in my shop class in high school.

They're probably all about the same...not much.

a) megaminx, not really much harder than a 3x3x3, but for some reason its more pleasing
b) 7x7x7...look at all those pieces!
c) My wooden tiled 3x3x3, nothing is as loose, smooth, or as cool feeling.
d) Umm, well idk higher order puzzles dont really get harder to solve, just longer lol. I'd have to say anything above the 3x3 because of STUPID parity
e) My destroyed 4x4x4. One piece snapped, I was going to glue it back on, but my gf decided to give it a good twist and BOOM* an explosion of colors* O' well..maybe I'll put it back together one day

Yup, I LOVE computers, especially building them. I'm not too good at programming or anything. I also love to play paintball and listen to mostly metal or hard rock.

Errmmmm...my real name is Kevin, but idc what you call me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:26 am 

Hi everyone! I'm new...

23, New York City, Graduate student & Media researcher

A little bit of each.

I learned the 2x2 and 3x3 about a year ago. My roommate knew how to do it since he was young and I was tired of him being the only one in the apartment to do it. Had to fix that, so I learned the Cube in about 2 days using the Waterman method...which, like, no one uses, it seems.
Call it competitive spirit, I suppose.

Working on my first bandaged cube. It's a slow, slow process.

Not many and not much. 2X2, 3X3, 4X4, Pyraminx, and a few others. Nothing exciting. I wish it was.

Anything considered a permutation puzzle and I'm in.

Well...the 3x3 I originally used to figure out the solution was broken by my brother wile he was trying to stretch it. So, I'll go with the Rubiks Cube I had signed by Simon Pegg and the cast of Spaced...because it was the ony signable thing I had on me at the time of meeting them!

Original Pyraminx? Going for a smashing 15 bucks maybe? The Simon Pegg cube? Since I have proof maybe it would sell for 20-30? I'm hear to learn and discuss...not really into talking about my collection...even if I did have a good one, it's just not my thing. Mostly because as a cheap graduate student living in NYC, I cannot afford the finer puzzles. Grumbles.

Solving - 3x3
Appearance - Mirror. Mine hasn't shown up in the mail yet (EAGERLY AWAITING), but it looks great regardless.
Feel - Speed cube.
Complexity - Not sure.

Being a graduate student, learning about research methodologies, writing electronic music, wondering around NYC.

Uh...I'm currently applying to PhD programs. Kind of makes me want to pull out every single hair left in my head. I also (sometimes) write too much when I post. Watch out for that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:27 am 

- 25, Lisbon, Webdesigner

- My interest in puzzles are both solving and collecting.

- Since August 2008. After I got my Rubik's 3x3x3 I knew I had to collect puzzles.

- Over 400 puzzles. The total value, I guess it's worth roughly €3000, because I don't have many rare puzzles.

- Well, I try to make an effort to collect as many puzzle types as I can, because I really like to solve them and if it calls for a challenge, I want it. For now, the puzzles I really avoid are the expensive ones, mainly because I want to collect first the "must have" ones and then focus on the rare ones. I think there's expensive "must have" puzzles, but that's another story...

- Well I guess I would have to choose the Rubik's 3x3x3, for many reasons but mainly, because it was the first one in my collection and of course, the father of all twisty puzzles.

- For now, I don't have a lot of rare puzzles but, I guess it's the "Card Suits Mini Cube" because I didn't see another one like it.
Here's the Picture:
Attachment:
Mini Suits Cube.jpg
Mini Suits Cube.jpg [ 37 KiB | Viewed 11907 times ]

a) The Gordian's Knot, because I was very happy when I finally solved it.
b) The Megaminx
c) The Tetraminx, because it has this "click" when it turns and I love that.
d) I'll have to say the Bedlam Cube, because it was one of the first puzzles in my collection and I didn't manage to solve it yet.

- Astronomy, I love to observe the Cosmos.

- Besides my astronomy hobby, I am a Simpsons fan :-D

My Puzzle Collection

Last edited by gabrielmpf on Wed May 13, 2009 2:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:38 am 

15, Massachusetts, Student, "saiyankirby"

I enjoy solving and collecting, but I'm starting to get into building.

3) How long have you been doing the above?
I've been solving puzzles since August '07.

So far I have made a 1x1x1, a Siamese Cube, and I am currently working on a Dino Cube.

Around 30, probably over $300, I'm not quite sure.

I try to collect any and every puzzle that gets my attention and is within price range. I try not to spend more then $30 for any one puzzle, unless it's REALLY worth it, like the V7.

I'm not sure, it's kind of a tie between a few of my puzzles. A "Darth Maul 2x2" and a Red Sox 3x3 I both got from people at school, so they have some value, but also my Dino Cube is important to me because I'm making it by hand. I can't quite say there's 1 puzzle I really value. (Though I try to be really careful with my V7, but that's more a monetary thing. :P)

Either my V7 or, when completed, my Dino Cube.

a) 3x3 as of now, Dino Cube once it's done.
b) Hard to say, probably the Rainbow Cube.
c) Eastsheen 4x4, it's so fluid, I can't help but mess with it. :P
d) V7. Case closed.
e) I still don't know why, but the Dino Cube is and has always been my favorite twisty puzzle.

I play Guitar, and I play video games. Therefore, my favorite video game is Guitar Hero. :P Anyway, I also enjoy making videos for YouTube.

SUBSCRIBE TO ME ON YOUTUBE PLEEEZZZEEE!
I'm sorry sometimes I get a little carried away. :P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:45 pm 

1. 14 years old, puyallup, WA USA, I'm a freshman in Kalles jr. High :P , no ebay ID.

2. solving, collecting, building, I enjoy them all. The most complicated puzzle I've ever solved is the 5x5 and I have a very tiny collection(only 1 item at the moment since I've torn the others to pieces trying to build something.) but I am planning on becoming a serious collector soon. I also have quite a few unique Ideas for new puzzles and I am planning on doing a few of those as soon as I become better at CAD.

3. I have been doing puzzle building for only around a year and did not know that any other twistypuzzles existed besides rubik's cubes existed until I found this site earlier this year. I never really gave much thought to the rubik's cube until my cousin brought one to the family reunion and could do it within 2 minutes. Ever since then(about a year and a half or 2 years ago.) I was obssessed with learning how to solve the maddening cube. I can now do the rubik's cube in under a minute and I am slightly less obssessed, but only slightly. :wink:

4.I have built 2 different types of puzzles, both of which broke within the hour I built it. I first tried about 6 months ago building my first 2x2x3, it failed miserably and I quit twistypuzzles for awhile, I came back about 2 or 3 months ago and attempted a 3x3x5 twice. I am still working at my third try but I have yet to succesfully build a puzzle.

5. The most my collection has ever contained was 4 objects about a month ago, but as of now I own exactly one cube! :lol: It is a very loose(lubricated with olive oil) 5x5 rubik's brand proffesors cube. I am planning on getting the white v-cube set soon(or maybe black set, not sure.) but if I had to estimate the value of my collection, I'd guess about $10. :lol:

6. I am not a horribly picky puzzle collector, however, twisty puzzles are my preference, I am planning on trying out some folding puzzles also, but I will avoid most other more exotic puzzles, I feel that there are enough twistypuzzles to keep me occupied forever. I am planning on collecting certain varieties of twistypuzzles first though. First I plan on collecting basic platonic solid puzzles (cube, megaminx, dogic, pyraminx, octahedron) and then I plan on collecting all the cuboids.

7. personally, my favorite puzzle that I have ever owned is the simple and original 3x3 rubik's cube, the father of all other twistypuzzles.

8. the 5x5 I own.

9. My favorite puzzle, although I do not own one, would have to be the megaminx or the 4x4x3. The megaminx because of the way it looks, dodecahedron is officially my absolute favorite shape, and 4x4x3 because of the way it looks, it's like a hybrid between the normal 3x3 cube and the 4x4 revenge. :D

10. Aw, hobbies, the ultimate expression of character. I love juggling, I have been juggling since august 2007 and I am amazing at juggling 4 beanbags and spectacular at 3! I am mediocre at 5 beanbags but I'm on my way. I can also juggle 3 clubs(almost 4) and I am on my way to rings. I am also a writer, I am writing my first book, which is a semi sci-fi book. I also plan on making fantasy and realistic fiction books in the future however, and writing books co-authoring with my younger sister who is a better writer than me in my opinion, but we have 2 different styles of writing so it's kinda like comparing apples to oranges. I am starting to learn to paint and I also am into theatre at my school and in my community! I think that the best saying to describe myself (which is also my favorite saying) is "jack of all trades, master of none." Although, I think I'm pretty good at what I do, so, maybe the second half of the quote isn't true after all! :wink:

11. Hmm, I'm trying to learn how to play guitar! :lol: I guess I'm not really "trying" since I haven't sat down and actually plucked away at my guitar in months. But, when a teacher comes around, I'll be a musician too. Other than that though, I think I've just about said it all.

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next