Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bumping old threads
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:14 am 

While I am perfectly willing to start a new thread instead of bumping an old one, why is it considered bad manners to bump a three week old thread?
The example I am querying is the impersonal photography thread which I was about to bump with another photo. I would consider this thread as being like the Gelatin Brain thread, the only difference being the frequency of posting.
Equally I can understand wanting some of my personal threads not to be bumped - especially for example when I had said I was close to completing a puzzle. :)

Post subject: Re: Bumping old threads
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:56 am 

I would like to chime in about the bumping rule as well.

Perhaps it can be a bit more flexible to encompass the concept of contribution? A bump with no contribution is of course the problem, but I think there are a few cases where bumping with proper contribution is appropriate. A few examples (from experience) are listed below:

1.) My Neon thread in puzzle building. I have been adding to this for over a year now, but infrequently. I'm not sure the forum would be served by my creating a new thread each time I add a new feature or build a noteworthy new variation.

2.) My Megaminx comparison thread. It was done some time ago, but recent new Megaminx puzzles really would be nice additions. This can be done with new threads, but again I think the forum is better served if it remains in one location

3.) The classic Items you don't see everyday or that sold for a high price which is up to 30 pages now or the collection thread. Good cases for keeping to one thread I think.

I concede it is hard to teach people what constitutes acceptable and unacceptable bumping (one of my very early posts was a bump and you were nice enough to nudge me in the right direction). But I think disallowing it entirely is a bit too extreme.

Perhaps a statement along the lines of:

"Don't bump old threads unless you have first considered creating a new thread and linking to the old thread. If you are new and unsure about whether or not bumping an old thread is acceptable, consult a more senior member via PM with your proposed post.

As always, think before you post and consider what you are contributing to the forum with your post. Creating a new thread (and linking to an old thread) with a low value comment isn't much better than bumping the old thread with that same low value comment."

I'd hate to be breaking rules by adding to my own thread, and I'd feel silly posting every three weeks to keep that option open if I had to. But without some caveat, the new rules would lead that direction.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:09 am 

I have a question:
What if you post pictures of a puzzle you started to build, then you take a few months off. If it is your own thread can you bump it with pictures of a completed puzzle?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:13 am 

cubefan8 wrote:
What if you post pictures of a puzzle you started to build, then you take a few months off. If it is your own thread can you bump it with pictures of a completed puzzle?

I remember, that there were several periods of silence in Drewseph's Teraminx-thread. I think in that case it would be okay.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:16 am 

There was a thread that was several years old that was recently bumped, but IMHO, for a valid reason.

It was about having custom printable stickers. The person mentioned that the old source was no longer supplying them, but posted a like to a new source for these stickers.

Bumping old threads can be valid in a few situations. It's all about the context in which it is bumped.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:48 pm 

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the discussion on this. The rule is a little tight at the moment. It's only a starting point and I definitely need a group consensus on this so it works the best for most.

Probably forgot to add that bumping should be ok for the original poster or owner of the thread.

There are some threads that get bumped occasionally as a growing thread over time. These are ok.

With the concept of someone else being allowed to bump someone elses thread after a period of activity, this is a tricky one. They would have to add value, and how it that value judged. I'd like to avoid arguments over the value of a bumped thread.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:08 pm 

I think that a good idea would be to make explicitly clear which rules are hard and fast rules and which rules are strong guidelines. In this case I think it should be more a guideline than a rule (mind you a strong guideline) in that if common sense dictates otherwise it shouldn't be followed.

On the other hand sometimes what one person considers common sense is what another person considers stupid. Gray areas are annoying, but they seem to exist far more often than black and white.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:32 am 

I think there are three main reasons to bump an old thread:
1) It's your thread and you have more to add on the same topic (something which is relevant even if the thread might be a bit old).
2) The thread is the type of thread which is supposed to contain all or a large part of the discussion about a specific topic (i.e. gelatinbrain solutions, pattern threads, Who's Who).
3) You are adding an important contribution to an old thread and hoping to revive it and start new discussion. This doesn't count just adding a little information to a "How do I [action]?" thread, it's more like if someone was to bump a thread about a cool puzzle which hadn't been created with an announcement that they were going to start work on it and post details there. This case is a bit trickier though; if the contribution isn't too big it is probably best to just create a new thread and link to the old.

In general I'd say that any bump of an old thread that doesn't fall under one of the above cases would be unwanted, but maybe there are situations I have missed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:16 am 

qqwref wrote:
I think there are three main reasons to bump an old thread:
1) It's your thread and you have more to add on the same topic (something which is relevant even if the thread might be a bit old).
2) The thread is the type of thread which is supposed to contain all or a large part of the discussion about a specific topic (i.e. gelatinbrain solutions, pattern threads, Who's Who).
3) You are adding an important contribution to an old thread and hoping to revive it and start new discussion. This doesn't count just adding a little information to a "How do I [action]?" thread, it's more like if someone was to bump a thread about a cool puzzle which hadn't been created with an announcement that they were going to start work on it and post details there. This case is a bit trickier though; if the contribution isn't too big it is probably best to just create a new thread and link to the old.

In general I'd say that any bump of an old thread that doesn't fall under one of the above cases would be unwanted, but maybe there are situations I have missed.

Nicely said. I agree with all three cases. They sound very reasonable and ensure quality continuity.
And the tricky part is not really that tricky. For if a person wants to make a useful contribution
(big or not) to a related thread or to start a new one, both options are acceptable.

And of course, by "useful" we mean USEFUL.

;)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:03 am 

kastellorizo wrote:
Nicely said. I agree with all three cases. They sound very reasonable and ensure quality continuity.
And the tricky part is not really that tricky. For if a person wants to make a useful contribution
(big or not) to a related thread or to start a new one, both options are acceptable.

Agree. I've been around enough forums (and admined a few) to tell you that this kind of rule works best.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:44 pm 

well, It seems that if a user starts a new thread they are shown a link to the old thread. If they bump an old thread they are told not to. You aren't giving the person in that situation much of a choice :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:36 pm 

which is why when starting a new thread it is often wise to include link(s) to other thread(s) that relate so that people know you aren't just an annoying noob and are more likely to answer your question than simply point you to those thread(s)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:42 am 

SilverPotato wrote:
well, It seems that if a user starts a new thread they are shown a link to the old thread. If they bump an old thread they are told not to. You aren't giving the person in that situation much of a choice :roll:

It's a balancing act of sorts, but it's really not that difficult to figure out. Bumping an old thread merely to add "yea" or "that's cool" falls on the side of "not cool." It doesn't take much experience to understand that.

As for creating a new topic and being told to search, that also depends on circumstance. Obviously if the same topic exists on the same page or just a few topics below it might be grounds for pointing it out politely. If it's a question that is asked a lot and has a definitive answer then a polite link is fine too. But being curt and unhelpful will not fly with me. It takes no more energy to give a quick answer than to tell someone to go look for something. Granted everyone is human and we have our days, but patterns of abuse are "not cool"

In any case you are taking a jaded approach to the issue it seems. Sounds like somebody needs a happy pill or two to turn that frown upside-down! Ok maybe not.