Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Crystal Pyraminx Crystal
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:10 pm 

Thought I'd have a little fun. I had this stuff left over from another project, and thought it would look really cool to make a crystal (transparent) pyraminx crystal. Well, it looks really cool, but unfortunately, it's not very practical. The type of plastic I used apparently takes weeks to dry and/or harden. It has a sort-of sticky feeling to it, and as you can imagine, it doesn't move very well. Does anyone have any experience with the transparent stuff made by alumilite? Does it harden like the other stuff (dry to the touch)? I'd like to re-cast one of these using the right stuff.

Unfortunately, even the white crystal uses a black core, so you can see it through the surface. Also, as you can see, there are a number of air bubbles in the pieces. As I got further into the project, I got better about it, so my next one will look much better.

Post subject: Re: Crystal Pyraminx Crystal
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:16 pm 

Very cool!

So although it is probably not transparent enough, you may be the first to have a Pryaminx Crystal where you can also see the underlying Megaminx edges.

It would require clever stickering (leaving gaps) and stickering the underlying pieces (brightly, so they have a chance at showing) and possibly sanding down the Crystal edge pieces not to touch the internal edges.

But possible!

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:16 pm 

that is sweet looking!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:28 pm 

This is win. =P Seriously, awesome idea Flambore. Can we have a video maybe?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:38 pm 

very very awesome! that is a fresh and new idea. great job!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:45 pm 

Sorry, no video. I already disassembled it. Like I said, the pieces are still kinda sticky (even after a week of hardening), so I didn't want them to affect the core pieces. I was too impatient to wait out the complete hardening process. It really didn't turn well at all. This version was simply for the experience, and because I had the stuff laying around from another project. I have a thing for the transparent puzzles. My favorite is the transparent pyraminx (pyramid), but this may take its place if/when I get it to work right. I'm going to buy some of the clear alumilite, and see if that does any better.

DLitwin- that's an awesome idea. I may just do that. I may try to sticker the flat pieces underneath, and leave the shell transparent. I wonder how that would look/function. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:33 pm 

Wow, I didn't know transparent pieces can be home-made. I really like transparent puzzle added with transparent stickers, it would look awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:42 pm 

512456 wrote:
Wow, I didn't know transparent pieces can be home-made. I really like transparent puzzle added with transparent stickers, it would look awesome.

Personally I like the look of transparent puzzles with the chrome set from cubesmith.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:27 pm 

yea, I agree.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:19 am 

A worthwhile idea. To my eye this is an improvement on the white variant. Is stickiness a general problem with clear resins?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:48 am 

Really cool idea :)

flambore wrote:
Unfortunately, even the white crystal uses a black core, so you can see it through the surface.]

Why not make a new transparent core too?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:47 am 

ejisfun wrote:
512456 wrote:

Personally I like the look of transparent puzzles with the chrome set from cubesmith.
flambore wrote:
yea, I agree.

After looking at the picture, it sure does look good too. :P

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:20 am 

Flambore, that looks superb!
I love it!
Well done!
Vadim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:08 am 

Danny Devitt wrote:
Really cool idea :)

flambore wrote:
Unfortunately, even the white crystal uses a black core, so you can see it through the surface.]

Why not make a new transparent core too?

I don't know what type of material to use to make a core. It's not something you can just mold out of any sort of material. A core has to be REALLY strong in order to withstand the force that is put on the screws when tightening and turning the sides on a larger puzzle like a pyraminx crystal.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:12 pm 

I think it was beautiful! Really good work!!!

alex :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:00 pm 

It's a nice looking puzzle... and an ice looking puzzle :)

I like it very much. The look of the puzzle lives up to the name.

Well done!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:58 pm 

Nice flambore!

What did you used to cast pieces?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:14 pm 

oomoo 25 molds, and some clear polyester plastic casting stuff (I don't have the can here right now so I don't know the name), but you can get it at most craft stores like AC Moore and Michael's. I don't recommend it for the reasons stated above. It's designed to create the kind of stuff where there's like a bug in the middle of an ice cube, or to simulate water. I am going to try again with the clear alumilite. I'll post back on here when I see how the results turn out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:32 pm 

I'm guessing it was something like this: http://www.acmoore.com/p-27196-castin-c ... alyst.aspx

This was the stuff I got for my first time, and soon realized that it couldnt be colored pretty much at all, and that it did remain tacky if it wasn't properly mixed or whatnot. I ended up using for filling pieces until I got some real casting resin. Like flambore said, its meant for ice cube casting and putting bugs in plastic and whatnot. Not recommended for puzzles.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:33 pm 

Yep, that's exactly the stuff. And yep, even with the proper mixture, it's tacky. The alumilite stuff is a 1:1 mixture, so maybe that'll be different. Dunno, I'm gonna order some, so we'll see.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:20 pm 

Wow, that's a really nice-looking puzzle. Great idea and great work, flambore!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:04 am 

Poleyester resin is very bad for your health, I've bought it myself, it smelled really bad, and while I was shopping for silicone, I've actually been warned at three different shops: You should only use it with proper ventilation, prefferably wearing a hardcore chemical mask, such as the one described here: http://twistypuzzles.com/articles/pract ... ials.shtml This really is bad stuff.

As for the tackyness, air inhibits it fully curing. There's a trick: prevent air from getting to the pieces. All you have to do is lay a piece of glass or plastic over your mold. There is also something called surface curing agent, which you are supposed to spay over your pieces.

A very nice mod (it looks great, even though you can see the black core), but you should (apart from the reasons you mentioned) always stay away from polyester resins because it is really nasty stuff. Polyurethane is the way to go.

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:23 pm 

Yea, I did all the mold work outside for two reasons-
1) the fumes- my wife would kill me if that odor filled the house
2) the warm sun helps cure the pieces quicker.

In addition, in the evening after the sun set, I have a set of halogen lamps that I put the pieces under to kinda bake them. Still didn't help much. I mean, it was faster than not doing it, but they were still tacky.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:49 pm 

I would love to see at some point what DLitwin describes and what has previously been described by Tony Fisher, a transparent crystal with transparent stickers with the inner megaminx pieces also stickered. Almost there. Looks cool.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:07 pm 

Well, as I don't have a vacuum system, I won't be able to make this absolutely crystal clear. There is a technique using a cup, and dripping the mix 3 feet to a cup below in a thin stream, but I tried that, and I still had some bubbles.

I took one of these pieces, and held it up to another cube with colors behind it. You can see the colors, but I doubt we'll be able to discern the pattern underneath well enough to solve it. But I had an idea. I'm going to try to make clear tiles (since I already have the mold), but colored slightly so as to give an effect similar to stained glass. It's just a thought, I haven't tried it yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I made the corner pieces two different ways. As the pyraminx crystal corners are actually two parts connected with a screw, I tried molding them as two parts, and gluing them together. I also just molded the whole assembly as one piece. This way turns out easier to see through, as there is less light diffraction, so I will mold all the pieces this way with the next one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:52 am 

flambore wrote:
Unfortunately, even the white crystal uses a black core, so you can see it through the surface.

My white crystal has a white core. However, as you mentioned, the corner pieces are two parts connected with a screw, and some (but not all) of my corner pieces have a black interior piece. I guess they just used whatever was around for the unseen parts.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:27 am 

It's quite cool puzzle !

If you don't worry, may I make transparency stickers for you ?
I have some transparency colors sheet.

white, gray, sky blue, blue, pink, red,
lemon yellow, yellow, green, dark green, orange, brown

and few different colors.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:16 am 

Wow Hidetoshi, that's a nice offer! I appreciate it, and may take you up on it. I just ordered some clear alumilite, so as soon as I receive it (fed ex tracking says thursday), I'll cast a few test pieces. If they harden dry (not sticky), I'll cast the rest of the puzzle, and I will be interested in your stickers. If they don't become solid and not sticky, it would be a shame for you to waste the time to make the stickers. The one I posted above was fun to make, but really can't be used even now. The pieces are laying out under a heat lamp, and are still sticky, so I am pretty much giving up on this plastic resin. I hope the Alumilite gives me better success.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:51 am 

as far as solving the crystal/megaminx composite, wouldnt you just solve the inner megaminx and the corners like a megaminx and then solve the outer crystal edges by twisting faces that wouldnt overlap on the megaminx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:44 pm 

QUINBLZ wrote:
as far as solving the crystal/megaminx composite, wouldnt you just solve the inner megaminx and the corners like a megaminx and then solve the outer crystal edges by twisting faces that wouldnt overlap on the megaminx
Yes. You can play around with a megaminx and crystal combined puzzle here

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:16 pm 

Fantastic. I'd love to see it stickered with the transparent vinyl that Hidetoshi tends to use on his transparent puzzles.

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.