Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mozaika
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2000 2:00 pm 

I just purchased an 8-color Mozaika, and I'm impressed. For a puzzle with a relatively simple mechanism, it is devilishly tricky. Does anyone have any hints towards a solution?

Post subject: possible solution
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2000 3:49 am 
Maybe, it's not the best way, but you can try to solve it in 2 steps:
1) 8 triangle parts - as 2x2x2 cube
2) rings - as Equator (http://www.org2.com/jaap/puzzles/equator.htm)

Post subject: That won't quite work
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2000 3:49 am 

That possible solution won't quite work. The reason is that the Equator has its pieces in antipodal pairs. Tiles which are on opposite sides of the puzzle will always stay that way.

You might still do it that way with an extra step:
2) pair up edges (also with correct orientation!)
3) rings - as Equator

Maybe you could use the following strategy too:
1) solve the 6 tiles at the crossings.
2) Pair up the remaining tiles in adjacent pairs.
3) Solve as a 3x3x3 cube.
and probably:
4) Solve parity problems if any.

I do not have a Mozaika (yet) so I do not know how difficult it is (I have been told it is very tough) nor which strategy would be best.

Post subject: That won't quite work
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2000 3:50 am 

That possible solution won't quite work. The reason is that the Equator has its pieces in antipodal pairs. Tiles which are on opposite sides of the puzzle will always stay that way.

You might still do it that way with an extra step:
2) pair up edges (also with correct orientation!)
3) rings - as Equator

Maybe you could use the following strategy too:
1) solve the 6 tiles at the crossings.
2) Pair up the remaining tiles in adjacent pairs.
3) Solve as a 3x3x3 cube.
and probably:
4) Solve parity problems if any.

I do not have a Mozaika (yet) so I do not know how difficult it is (I have been told it is very tough) nor which strategy would be best.

Post subject: Re: possible solution
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2000 4:11 pm 

I use two types of moves: A double 2-cycle which is simply derived from a 3x3x3 2-edge-flip (any move sequence that flips 2 edges on a 3x3x3 cube will swap 2 pairs of tiles on Mozaika), and another 3x3x3 sequence that orients centres only. I place centres, corners, edges, then orient the pieces. This probably isnn't very effective compared to other solutions but it's simple and works fine for me...

Philip K

Post subject: More info on Mozaika
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2000 8:49 pm 

It looks almost exactly like an 8-color "Equator" puzzle, but has a different mechanism. Not only are there the 30 sliding pieces, but the 8 "corners" can also move like the "Rubik pocket cube" (2x2x2). Because of this extra mechanism, it becomes much more like a Rubik puzzle and less like a sliding tile puzzle.

If you are interested, this puzzle is for sale at http://www.mozaika.com
They sell the puzzle as a put-together kit for somewhere around $30 (depending on which kit you purchase). I can't tell you how they do business or how the puzzle is assembled because I purchased mine elsewhere already assembled.

So far, I've only been able to solve about half of the Mozaika puzzle. I would have to consider this my most difficult Rubik-type puzzle that I have encountered (although I don't have a bandaged cube yet).

Another interesting thing about the Mozaika puzzle is that all of the pieces are molded of colored plastic. All "edge" pieces are 2 colors and all "center" pieces are 4 colors. I'm not sure how they accomplish this without making the puzzle much more expensive. I often thought that it would be great if this could be done with the 3x3x3 Rubik's cube (no stickers or tiles to worry about, just solid plastic cubies).

Post subject: Mozaika solution
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2000 8:49 pm 

I got a Mozaika yesterday, and have just added a solution to this puzzle to my webpage.
http://www.org2.com/jaap/puzzles

>> Another interesting thing about the Mozaika puzzle is that all of the pieces are molded of colored plastic.
I'm not sure how they accomplish this without making the puzzle much more expensive.<<

I think that each colour is molded separately, stuck onto a single base, and then melted a little to fuse them together.