Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: "Dedicated Members" Board
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:06 pm 

Jin H Kim wrote:
While I do agree that there shouldn't be some "vip" forum, sheer volume has cost us quite a few of our older members who no longer visit the forum for one reason or another. After a personal discussion with one, they specifically cited the volume of "noise" generated on the forums as being a key reason they no longer visit.

It seems to me that there is a very LARGE number of older members who don't visit anymore. I have stayed off for a couple of years now because of the useless chatter that goes on. It reminds me of the cube4you forum at times.

In times past I truly enjoyed the highest item posts, and the true sharing of information that went on. Now it is too many useless polls and threads about the same things. (Really, how many v-cube threads does one forum need.) Yes, I ignore a lot, but it has become impossible to do a search for anything unless you know an exact quote in the thread. For example, I was looking for the explanation of how Thomas (was it you?) made his mini-domino. When I typed in mini domino, domino, small domino the response was 17 pages of junk to go through without getting what I wanted. Try typing in Meffert's and see what happens. "The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: Mefferts diamond skewb You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards." Now I know it exists, but I have a feeling that just too much "noise" has been generated using those terms. That search worked five years ago or so. Not anymore.

And as for Darren, I was number 13 and am not part of the DMB :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:42 pm 

katsmom wrote:
Jin H Kim wrote:
While I do agree that there shouldn't be some "vip" forum, sheer volume has cost us quite a few of our older members who no longer visit the forum for one reason or another. After a personal discussion with one, they specifically cited the volume of "noise" generated on the forums as being a key reason they no longer visit.

katsmom wrote:
It seems to me that there is a very LARGE number of older members who don't visit anymore. I have stayed off for a couple of years now because of the useless chatter that goes on. It reminds me of the cube4you forum at times.

Could you please tell me who they are and why they left? Either here or PM please Jin H Kim. I do miss all of the members back in the early years

katsmom wrote:
In times past I truly enjoyed the highest item posts, and the true sharing of information that went on. Now it is too many useless polls and threads about the same things. (Really, how many v-cube threads does one forum need.) Yes, I ignore a lot, but it has become impossible to do a search for anything unless you know an exact quote in the thread. For example, I was looking for the explanation of how Thomas (was it you?) made his mini-domino. When I typed in mini domino, domino, small domino the response was 17 pages of junk to go through without getting what I wanted. Try typing in Meffert's and see what happens. "The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: Mefferts diamond skewb You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards." Now I know it exists, but I have a feeling that just too much "noise" has been generated using those terms. That search worked five years ago or so. Not anymore.

Yea I hear you and I do miss the good old form days but what I'm saying is I'd rather have this form then none at all but I do not condone this behavior.

katsmom wrote:

Oh come on you joined 6 dayes before I did. Actually I was here from day 1 but I didn't post anything until April 22. So there!

You owe me one. :D :) 8-) :lol:

viewtopic.php?t=6324

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:16 am 

katsmom wrote:
I was looking for the explanation of how Thomas (was it you?) made his mini-domino.

Just click on the image in my signature. It'll take you to all my builds.
Personally I'd like to see more people add something similar to their sig.

Thomas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:53 am 

Darren Grewe[quote="katsmom wrote:
Oh come on you joined 6 days before I did. Actually I was here from day 1 but I didn't post anything until April 22. So there!

You owe me one. :D :) 8-) :lol:

viewtopic.php?t=6324
Ha! Beat you there too. My first post was the 17th. Thanks for the link. That's another mod I'm sure I can do! And take a look at your pm's!

As an after thought, can we somehow keep the price tracking system up to date?