Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rubik's Domino: Oh My God!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:31 am 
For the past week there was a rubik's domino on ebay. I thought I would be able to get it
for under $100. Wow! with only a few hours left it shot up to $1,025!! I didn't know it was
that valuable! I figured you could make one with a rubik's revenge by supergluing cubies
together so that they cannot come apart. This item was a shocker.
Michael

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=289356001

Post subject: Now I believe you
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2000 9:03 pm 

I must admit, I was away for a days and hadn't kept my eye on the domino, and so I didn't believe you about the price... but sure enough...

That's absolutely crazy for a domino.

Anyway, I don't think you could glue up cubies of a revenge to get the same effect. But they aren't that hard to build. Maybe another project for the future but I think I've extended myself a bit too much now.

Post subject: Domino price
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2000 11:45 pm 

You are right that is a crazy price for the domino. I payed about $75 for a domino 3 years ago, But then again I have not seen one for sale in the last 3 years.

Post subject: Prices
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2000 3:40 am 

Is it really any more surprising to see than seeing the custom cubes made by "ss...." go for $300+?

Speaking of him, I haven't seen him put anything on eBay since he was upset about how he was being portrayed here. I wonder what he is creating now?

Post subject: I LOST at $1,005!!!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2000 10:56 am 
You're all right, it is a crazy price. I actually bid over a thousand on it when the price was down around $200. I figured that bid would pretty much guarantee me the win, probably at a few hundred dollars. I bid high to be safe because I knew I wouldn't be able to be online when the auction ended. Also, I had lost an oppotunity at another rare puzzle when someone put in a last second bid, so I didn't want that to happen again. Never the less, I would have been willing to pay the bid price had I won, since I've been trying to find that dang puzzle for about 16 years or so! There always seems to be someone willing to pay more than you for anything worthwhile on eBay.

The upshot is that if anyone knows where to find a Domino, or has one they'll part with for a few hundred bucks, let's talk.

Post subject: Prices
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2000 11:01 am 

Yeah, it's a shame he left. I hope he turns up again with more stuff.

Post subject: I think I know why he left.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2000 11:09 am 
Over the summer a person had a siamese rubik's cube on ebay and it sold for 200. I thought it was manufactured so I shrugged it off. Then in september another person had one on sale but see the new logo on the white sticker I knew it had to be handmade, but it also sold for that much. I decided to make one myself. It ended up selling for 110. I put another one up but it sold for only 60. If you check out the records of his sales the final amount went down each week. I guess it wasn't as profitable as in the start. Now there is this DCC guy that is making cubes with special pictures on them. That's pretty neat.
Michael

Post subject: What was the item?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2000 4:36 am 
You said someone outbid you an an item earlier. What was it?
Michael

Post subject: It was the Domino
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2000 9:03 am 
The item was the Domino that started this whole message chain.

Post subject: Info on ssongalia.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2000 11:09 am 
Someone asked what he is selling now. I found out that he is selling car amps and such. I also spotted a pair of snow boots size 13 :)
Michael

Post subject: No, I mean...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2000 7:37 am 
You said that you lost a different item before this one. What was that item?

Post subject: Oh, the OTHER auction...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2000 7:37 am 
...it was a Meffert's Target, or Trajber's Octahedron, whatever the real name is. I believe there's a picture of it on this site's wanted list.

Post subject: DCC's puzzles
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2000 1:48 pm 

DCC's puzzles (primarily sticker variations of the standard 3x3x3 cube) haven't been selling for the outrageous prices as some of the other handmade puzzles I've seen on Ebay; but, at least he is honest by letting his buyers know that they are handmade by himself in his auction postings. I have GREAT RESPECT for him for that. Many of the previously handmade puzzles on Ebay were being sold as "from my personal collection" or "rare", implying that they were something that they really were not. May DCC's puzzles prosper!

By the way, lately many of Meffert's currently available puzzles are showing up on Ebay and are being resold at a significant profit. Interestingly, the seller is also touting them as "from his personal collection". Has anyone else noticed this?

Post subject: Faking a Domino
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2000 1:39 pm 

: Anyway, I don't think you could glue up cubies of a revenge to get the same effect.

Actually, you can. With any cube of even size, you can fake any size below it. To emulate a Domino with a Revenge, all you really need is some packing tape, preferably on Meffert's tiled version. If you bandage the top and bottom edges together along with their adjacent centres on the front, left, right, and back sides, as well as all the centres on the top and bottom sides, you'll have your very own "Rubik's Domino" to play with. I've tried it myself and it works like a charm. The only thing I was disappointed with was how easy it was to solve. For another challenge, you can bandage the top and bottom faces as though it was a Pocket Cube to fake Greg Stevens' version of the 2x2x4.

: But they aren't that hard to build. Maybe another project for the future but I think I've extended myself a bit too much now.

I don't know... they seem pretty complex inside. You can see the original patent, along with diagrams of the internal mechanism, at
http://www.patents.ibm.com/details?pn=US04378116__
Enjoy. :) L8r.

Post subject: Cubologist.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2000 1:48 pm 

: By the way, lately many of Meffert's currently available puzzles are showing up on Ebay and are being resold at a significant profit. Interestingly, the seller is also touting them as "from his personal collection". Has anyone else noticed this?

Oh yes. During the summer, I noticed how much Mr. Cubologist (fontmonger at the time) was selling and I asked him about his collection. He told me that he was down to about 15 pieces. Of course, he's sold at least that many Professor's Cubes AND Dinosaur cubes (not Dino Cubes) since then. I also found it interesting that "his collection" switched to tile based puzzles as soon as Uwe Meffert did. At least the general public seems to have noticed that and he's apparently selling most of them at a loss. Uwe also said that he was surprised at the demand for his new tile based puzzles (sold out in the first few days) when he introduced them. I've got a feeling that cubologist bought at least half of them when they were announced with the intention of selling them through eBay. L8r.

Post subject: Rubik's Domino is on Ebay!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2000 2:35 am 

You should check ebay fast. There's one listed
for $25. It says there is a small piece broken
off the black center piece, but it's still
workable if you are careful. Good luck :wink: